What's stopping us from having that sense of community development

Urquhart

Sep 8, 2014
I did warn you this was/is a rant. Now that being said, i am also very much curious.

Mimi nimtanzania! At the age of 12 i moved to the US. Bado nina kumbukumbu nyingi nzuri za Tanzania, since then (when i left) i've only being back once to Tanzania and it was briefly for 2 weeks. Not enough time to get reacquainted with your home land.

I am currently working on my PHD in Economics. I also hold a degree in Computer science. Here goes my curiosity. HIVI KWANINI watanzania we are not curious enough to change certain things around us, instead we WAIT for the govt to change them for us. Now rightfully so it is the duty of the govt to take care of it's people (to a certain extent) the rest(last) 1 mile, is left for the citizens to take care of themselves. Nimesoma vitu vingi kuhusu nchi zilizo endelea nikaja nikagundua one thing. Hawa watu wana a sense of community development. Which sisi watanzania hatuna. Mfano, nilivyo kuja TZ for the first time since i left, nikapita mtaa mmoja Dar alipo kua anakaa shangazi yangu. Shangazi alilalamika sana kuhusu mtaka taka yakiwa yamezagaa. I simply asked her kwanini msiji organize nyie wenye watu wa huu mtaa mka come up na solution hii? Akasema nani ana mda huu, hawa waswahili wenyewe hawajali usafi. I was in shock. Hivi kweli kuna watu wanapenda uchafu kabisa?!!

Nilikumbuka mtaani kwetu, mji ninaoishi huku Marekani( Palo Alto, CA) kulikua kuna katatizo ka over speeding in our street. Alafu kukawa na near misses nyingi for cyclists. I am a cyclist myself. I ride my bike almost everywhere. So we drafted our complains and sent them to city hall, we contacted our local congressman but NOTHING HAPPENED. Well watu wa huo mtaa came up with a good solution, tukaweka speeding signs, na installed motion sensor camera's. Programmed them to capture the license plate if someone over speeds alafu we report the plate to the local authorities. 2 months later the speeding problem had gone away. Tena the local police came and congratulated our small community for taking matters in their own hands when the govt failed them. Over the course nimesoma many stories all over the world of communities coming together and changing things for the better, when their govts failed them. Did you know the SOLAR revolution in Germany started simply after a community was fed up with higher energy costs. FAST forward years later, Germany is now one of the leading countries in alternative energy.

So here goes my curiosity. Hivi do we have same cases in TZ? Because i have yet to hear even one. Kuna vitu vingi we can come together as a community and achieve without the help of the govt. Kuna kijiji huko El Salvador (small country in central america) wao walikua na tatizo la sewage and sanitation. Wakaingia online ku research how to build good sewage systems and they did it. WITHOUT THE HELP OF THE GOVT. There lots of stories all over the world, but my heart aches for my beloved Tanzania. Mtu anaweza akauliza haya wewe what have u done. Well i've done a few things and currently working on doing more (i'm 22 years old). I'm working with a local university to build a Computer center in Tanzania, i'm also working with a few people ili tujenge library nzuri maeneo ya Same-Kilimanjaro. I'm working with a friend from Stanford who's doing her PHD in Biology(Malaria) on building a research center special for Malaria in Dar. And when i turn 25 nitarudi Tanzania kuishi. Simply i'll start from scratch. I told my parents i won't be going home, i'll live on my own and work my way up. I'm still working on the plan.

So what's stopping us from having that sense of community development. Investing in our community for the sake of future generations. Is it our culture, education system or what? Unajua huku ughaibuni waafrica tunajisifu sana kwamba tuna roho nzuri. Tena E.Africans especially wabongo. Yani utasikia at a party, "sisi kwetu mgeni akija hawezi lala njaa, sijui tunasaidiana sana etc.." hapo tunawaponda our American friends for being too individualistic. Ila sasa hio roho nzuri, mbona hatuiendelezi towards our communities?

Thanks.

mbona yanafanyika sana. vijijini watu wanajenga shule na zahanati, wanachimba mitaro ya umwagiliaji, barabara na kuua wezi kwa umoja. juzi hapa nimechanga 3000 ya kujenga choo cha shule na 2000 ya kujenga ofisi ya mtendaji. ila sikushauri kurudi huku kufanya maisha.

We uko ulaya ukiwaza yetu utaumia bure, huku ustarabu hakuna, hata walioaminiwa hawaaminiki ukijitosa wewe unajipendekeza!

Back
Top Bottom