Watu Muhimu katika Historia ya Nchi yetu

Mzuvendi,
I think it was Bangusule who suggested the book "The history of Tanganyika." I am trying to get the book though it is a bit expensive at $95. I have perused it on the internet and it has all pertinent info on Tanganyika from 1800-1961. The author did a thorough job and I would recommend it to anyone who can afford it.

Jasusi,

Thanks, I will try to find that book. It's very expensive though. Anyway, history evolves. The hope that existed in 1961 have already evaporated, and the time has came to redefine the foundations of our country.

I have noted that in Communist countries, unless a fellow sang their song, he was excluded from their history. Someone has also said that capitalist countries do the same.

What I believe JF should espouse is to record all important contributors. I believe in a democratic environment, contributors will be those who initiate ideas or projects as well as those who criticise the ideas, so that the final compromise is implemented. That is why my English teacher who said 'HISTORY IS MADE, BUT NOT NECESSARILY WRITTEN' is the one I follow.

Now I would like to suggest that it is not only politicians who make public speeches and/or go to Parliament who make history. There are many more other people who have made contribution to the development or non-development of Tanzania and I want to mention those who come to my mind:

Geoffrey V. Mmari who as Vice Chacellor led the University of Dar es Salaam, Sokoine University of Agriculture and finally the Open University of Tanzania. I know him as a humble, hardworking and committed patriot and must have the accolade. In this group of Geoffrey, must be added the name of Wilbert Chagulla who precceded him on the Hill, when the University College of Dar es Salaam together with Makerere and Nairobi University colleges formed the University of East Africa.

The other person I knew personally was Augustine Saidi, who was the first Mwananchi Chief Justice and Head of the Tanzania Judiciary. Unfortunately he died early and was, of course, succeeded by Francis Nyalali of the Multi-Party Commission Report fame.

Then I come to the Civil Service: Dunstan A. Omari was the First Mwananchi to be a District Commissioner in colonial Tanganyika and rose to be the Permanent Secretary to President Nyerere and Head of the Civil Service. He was succeeded by Joseph Namata, whom I gather passed away only early last week (May his soul rest in eternal peace). After Ikulu in Dar es SAlaam, Omari went to Nairobi to take over as Secretary General of the East African Common Services Organization which was tranformed into the East African Community (Phase I). Joseph Namata was succeeded by Dickson Nkembo; followed by Timothy Apiyo, then Paul John Rupia. I know Lumbanga followed and finally we have Phillemon Luhanjo of the J.K. era as Head of the Civil Service. These are Tanzanians who moved and made governments tick behind the scenes.

Someone in the JF has suggested that we can access the list of successive Governors of the Bank of Tanzania on the internet. These are the leaders of the financial sector who must have played their part, positively or negatively, in the evolution of our economy in the post-Uhuru era. They should be included even if they were not politicians.

Kilasara:

I think government, private sectors and to some extent NGOs should provide scholars with grand money to conduct and publish historical researches. People who were alive prior and after Independence are old and dying.

Mambo ya siasa za ujamaa na kujitegemea ndiyo chazo cha kutuficha mashujaa wetu ili tujuwe ni wao hao wachache wa CCM ndiyo wametufikisha hapo. Ndiyo maana kila siku tulikuwa tunaimbishwa zidumu fikra sahihi za mwenyekiti. Hii ilikuwa propaganda za CCM kuwaenguwa mashujaa ili wabaki wao wachache. Hata kwenye elimu inaelekea wanafunzi hatukufundishwa historia hasa ya nchi yetu. Mambo kibao tumefichwa. Lakini sijui ni kwa sababu gani hasa!!!!

Mkandara:

Napenda kupingana na wewe sana kuhusu kuwa Kwame Nkrumah ndiye aliyetuamsha. Kusema hivyo kunarudisha historia ya waAfrica nyuma.

ANC ya Africa kusini ilianza 1912 wakati huo Kwame alikuwa na miaka 3 tu.

Vilevile haya masuala ya uhuru tusijivunie sana kwa sababu baada ya vita vya pili vya dunia nchi nyingi za kiAfrika zilikuwa katika fast track za kupewa uhuru kama makubaliano ya super power wa vita vya pili vya dunia walivyokubaliana.

Na ndio maana nchi zingine kama Tanzania zimepewa uhuru bila maandalizi yoyote na matokeo yake ni kuwa na mediocre kila sehemu za kazi.
Mkuu wangu labda hukunisoma vizuri..
Tunapozungumzia harakati au Uhuru haina maana Ghana ilikuwa nchi ya kwanza..bali nasema nchi iliyotuamsha toka usingizini kuhusiana na Uhuru.. Kumbuka Tunisia walipata Uhuru wao zamani zaidi ya Ghana lakini kupata kwao Uhutu haikuwa kiamsho cha Mataifa mengine ya Kiafrika..Na vipo vyama vilivyoanzishwa mapema hata kabla ya ANC lakini hata hivyo havikuwa kiamsho kwa Waafrika kupigania Uhuru..

Halafu sii kweli kwamba baada ya Uhuru nchi nyingi za Afrika zilikuwa ktk fast track ya kupatiwa UHuru.. Mkuu wangu nchi hizo unazozungumzia ni nchi ambazo zilikuwa chini ya Mjarumani. Nchi ambazo zilikabidhiwa mataifa makubwa kwa sababu Utawala wa Mjarumani uliondolewa hivyo haikuwezekana kuziacha nchi hizo bila tawala..Lakin ukitazama Kenya na milki ya Malkia, Sultan na nchi zote za Mreno na hata South wenyewe, hawa wote walitakiwa kupigania UHuru wao iwe kwa vita au kisiasa..

Hivyo tusijaribu kupotosha ukweli kwamba ilitakiwa nguvu ya ajabu, mhanga na kadhalika kwa baadhi ya watu kupoteza maisha ili wewe na mimi tuwe huru leo..haikuwa rahisi kama unavyofikiria na nadhani hii ni tabia ya NDIVYO TULIVYO.. kwani siku zote hatuna shukran kwa mchango wa watu wengine ktk maisha yetu hadi siku tunapopatwa tena na matatizo, basi sii samahani hizo..

Mkuu wangu labda hukunisoma vizuri..
Tunapozungumzia harakati au Uhuru haina maana Ghana ilikuwa nchi ya kwanza..bali nasema nchi iliyotuamsha toka usingizini kuhusiana na Uhuru.. Kumbuka Tunisia walipata Uhuru wao zamani zaidi ya Ghana lakini kupata kwao Uhutu haikuwa kiamsho cha Mataifa mengine ya Kiafrika..Na vipo vyama vilivyoanzishwa mapema hata kabla ya ANC lakini hata hivyo havikuwa kiamsho kwa Waafrika kupigania Uhuru..

Halafu sii kweli kwamba baada ya Uhuru nchi nyingi za Afrika zilikuwa ktk fast track ya kupatiwa UHuru.. Mkuu wangu nchi hizo unazozungumzia ni nchi ambazo zilikuwa chini ya Mjarumani. Nchi ambazo zilikabidhiwa mataifa makubwa kwa sababu Utawala wa Mjarumani uliondolewa hivyo haikuwezekana kuziacha nchi hizo bila tawala..Lakin ukitazama Kenya na milki ya Malkia, Sultan na nchi zote za Mreno na hata South wenyewe, hawa wote walitakiwa kupigania UHuru wao iwe kwa vita au kisiasa..

Hivyo tusijaribu kupotosha ukweli kwamba ilitakiwa nguvu ya ajabu, mhanga na kadhalika kwa baadhi ya watu kupoteza maisha ili wewe na mimi tuwe huru leo..haikuwa rahisi kama unavyofikiria na nadhani hii ni tabia ya NDIVYO TULIVYO.. kwani siku zote hatuna shukran kwa mchango wa watu wengine ktk maisha yetu hadi siku tunapopatwa tena na matatizo, basi sii samahani hizo..

Mkandara,

Actually, some colonies, especially those in East and central Africa, weren't economically viable and there was no reasons why independence shouldn't had been granted. I know my statements might stir some controversies here, but look around Tanzania and tell me one economical reason that could had kept the British beyond 1961. There's none.

The fact is our region was the last frontier to be colonized by European super power, and by 1964 all British, French and Belgium colonies were free. Here, Zakumi might be politically incorrect which is understandble; however, if the British were ready to give India her independence in 1948, why would had they continued to colonize us.Remember, India was the most economically viable colony.

Mzuvendi,
I didn't get U..
First U said weren't economically viable,that there wasn't reasons why independence shouldn't had been granted to us..whaaat!
Then Ur last paraghraph, U said,... If the British were ready to give India her independence in 1948, why would had they continued to colonize us..Remember, India was the most economically viable colony.

Brother, reality stands - They DID..
India had it's independence through hard Politics..People of India, Ghandi, critics and all the hardliners from all part of India, Pakistan anad Bangladesh were the force to be reckon with..The British had no choice but...

Let's not fool ourselves..Everything we depends upon today (Economically) has been there all along, Their main mission and objective was to conquer Land then create bases for trade.. as a fact they came to black Africa, colonized us when we weren't economically viable at all..the vast interior part of Africa was little-known to them, economically..

It's my understanding that any economic viability has to be created through ennovative technology and investment..yet when we study acquisition of African land it was more of a scramble for grabbing land than what lies underneath..

Last edited:
Mzuvendi,
I didn't get U..
First U said weren't economically viable,that there wasn't reasons why independence shouldn't had been granted to us..whaaat!
Then Ur last paraghraph, U said,... If the British were ready to give India her independence in 1948, why would had they continued to colonize us..Remember, India was the most economically viable colony.

Brother, reality stands - They DID..
India had it's independence through hard Politics..People of India, Ghandi, critics and all the hardliners from all part of India, Pakistan anad Bangladesh were the force to be reckon with..The British had no choice but...

Let's not fool ourselves..Everything we depends upon today (Economically) has been there all along, Their main mission and objective was to conquer Land then create bases for trade.. as a fact they came to black Africa, colonized us when we weren't economically viable at all..the vast interior part of Africa was little-known to them, economically..

It's my understanding that any economic viability has to be created through ennovative technology and investment..yet when we study acquisition of African land it was more of a scramble for grabbing land than what lies underneath..

Mkandara,

You are mixing two things here: the acquisition of African land and the viability of running self-sufficient colonies. Yes, the reasons why they came to Africa were purely economical and they fought really hard to acquire the colonies. However, grabbing the colonies and using those colonies to create successful enterprises are two different propositions.

In your post you say "their main objective was to conquer land then create bases for trade". Please show me one colon in Africa, apart from South Africa, that was a base for trade. Our history enumerates tons of reasons why the Europeans came to Africa. Those reasons are true and valid. However, it's also true that they failed to run African colonies successfully.

Also I agree with you that economic viability has to be created through innovative technology and investment. However, these aren't the only things you need to have a successful enterprise. As a matter of fact Kaunda, Nyerere and Nkwame used innovative technology and investment as means to pull their respective countries from the abyss of social and economical backwardness. Nevertheless they failed miserably. Therefore economic viability can't only be created through innovative technology and investment. Actually, there are other variables that are equally important as innovative technology and investment.

For clarity, let me mention climate as one of the other important variables. When Europeans conquered Africa, they didn't have recorded climate data. As you know, climate is very important in any agriculture investment. For example, the British used technology and investment such as Railway system and money to create large scale peanut farming in southern part of Tanzania. However, their efforts were thwarted with climate change and they had to abandon everything they invested there.

The Portuguese colonized Angola and Mozambique for 500 years; however, by 1970 Portugal was one of the poorest countries in Europe. Why? Because they spent a considerable amount of their resources to maintain those colonies while other European countries explored other options. The same scenario could be applied to Spain with her colonies in Africa and South America.

Mzuvendi,
You are mixing two things here: the acquisition of African land and the viability of running self-sufficient colonies. Yes, the reasons why they came to Africa were purely economical and they fought really hard to acquire the colonies. However, grabbing the colonies and using those colonies to create successful enterprises are two different propositions.
There was no such a thing as - running a self suffiecient Colonies..Most factors led to acquisition of our land, has the root of events happening in their Countries rather than in Africa..none of these wouldn't have happened except for the particular economic, social, and military evolution they were going through their own land..
They came to Africa when slaves trade was at the peak, socially spreading their faith and militarization and all the more enticing if a colony could be set up which gave the European nation a monopoly..
In your post you say "their main objective was to conquer land then create bases for trade". Please show me one colon in Africa, apart from South Africa, that was a base for trade. Our history enumerates tons of reasons why the Europeans came to Africa. Those reasons are true and valid. However, it's also true that they failed to run African colonies successfully.
U said - Our history shows tons of reasons why European came to Africa..Does it exclude trade bases?
Well here we go...
1. Britain had Freetown in Sierra Leone, forts along the coast of Gambia, Ghana and Nigeria apart from Southern Africa.
2. France settled in Dakar and St/Louis in Senegal, Iveory Coast and Benin.
3. Portugal had long established bases in Angola, Msumbiji..
4. Spain had small enclaves regions in north west Africa - Spanish North Africa.
5. Turks controlled Egypt, Libya, and Tunisia (The Ottoman empire)..
6. The Sultan of Oman.. U know what I'm talking about..

Want some more!..

Also I agree with you that economic viability has to be created through innovative technology and investment. However, these aren't the only things you need to have a successful enterprise. As a matter of fact Kaunda, Nyerere and Nkwame used innovative technology and investment as means to pull their respective countries from the abyss of social and economical backwardness. Nevertheless they failed miserably. Therefore economic viability can't only be created through innovative technology and investment. Actually, there are other variables that are equally important as innovative technology and investment.
I would love to hear what Ennovative Technologies and Investment both Nyerere, Kaunda and Kwame created..If we couldn't explore mineral resources we have (i.e Gold), invest heavily in farming industries rather than producing raw material, what ennovation are we talking about..
For clarity, let me mention climate as one of the other important variables. When Europeans conquered Africa, they didn't have recorded climate data. As you know, climate is very important in any agriculture investment. For example, the British used technology and investment such as Railway system and money to create large scale peanut farming in southern part of Tanzania. However, their efforts were thwarted with climate change and they had to abandon everything they invested there.
The Britush did not invest in Railway.. The Germany did...
Then again, I don't buy that European didn't have African climate data..Brother, after slave trade it left a need for commerce between Europe and Africa. I personal believe slave trade wasn'r abolished for the sake of humanright or Africans, but Europeans realised our climate could produce the same and much much more than South America, The Carribean and South of US..
They did Exploration and located vast reserves of raw materials, it include all plantations and cash crops they had slaves shipped to America...
Then they plotted the course of trade routes, navigated rivers, identified population centers which could be a market for finnished goods from Europe. dedicating the region's workforce to producing locally Cotton, Sisal, rubber, coffee, sugar, palm oil, timber, etc etc.... FOR THEM.(Europe). Having all that in Place, then the abolish slavetrade.
The Portuguese colonized Angola and Mozambique for 500 years; however, by 1970 Portugal was one of the poorest countries in Europe. Why? Because they spent a considerable amount of their resources to maintain those colonies while other European countries explored other options. The same scenario could be applied to Spain with her colonies in Africa and South America
Portuguese are the only one who invested fully in making self sufficient colonies..Just visit Portuguese colonies (Angola, Msumbiji, Brazil) U will understand my point of view..
Most European treated Africa as the land of exploitation, from slave trade to Capitalism..They exploited the land, mineral and human resources resulting in those colonies dreadful condition..But again there isn't much different between them and our Presidents..

Last edited:
Wengine tunakula darasa humu. Asanteni kwa kutumwagia shule maana some of us history tuliishia form two.

Mzuvendi,
There was no such a thing as - running a self suffiecient Colonies..Most factors led to acquisition of our land, has the root of events happening in their Countries rather than in Africa..none of these wouldn't have happened except for the particular economic, social, and military evolution they were going through their own land..
They came to Africa when slaves trade was at the peak, socially spreading their faith and militarization and all the more enticing if a colony could be set up which gave the European nation a monopoly..
U said - Our history shows tons of reasons why European came to Africa..Does it exclude trade bases?
Well here we go...
1. Britain had Freetown in Sierra Leone, forts along the coast of Gambia, Ghana and Nigeria apart from Southern Africa.
2. France settled in Dakar and St/Louis in Senegal, Iveory Coast and Benin.
3. Portugal had long established bases in Angola, Msumbiji..
4. Spain had small enclaves regions in north west Africa - Spanish North Africa.
5. Turks controlled Egypt, Libya, and Tunisia (The Ottoman empire)..
6. The Sultan of Oman.. U know what I'm talking about..

Want some more!..

I would love to hear what Ennovative Technologies and Investment both Nyerere, Kaunda and Kwame created..If we couldn't explore mineral resources we have (i.e Gold), invest heavily in farming industries rather than producing raw material, what ennovation are we talking about..

The Britush did not invest in Railway.. The Germany did...
Then again, I don't buy that European didn't have African climate data..Brother, after slave trade it left a need for commerce between Europe and Africa. I personal believe slave trade wasn'r abolished for the sake of humanright or Africans, but Europeans realised our climate could produce the same and much much more than South America, The Carribean and South of US..
They did Exploration and located vast reserves of raw materials, it include all plantations and cash crops they had slaves shipped to America...
Then they plotted the course of trade routes, navigated rivers, identified population centers which could be a market for finnished goods from Europe. dedicating the region's workforce to producing locally Cotton, Sisal, rubber, coffee, sugar, palm oil, timber, etc etc.... FOR THEM.(Europe). Having all that in Place, then the abolish slavetrade.

Portuguese are the only one who invested fully in making self sufficient colonies..Just visit Portuguese colonies (Angola, Msumbiji, Brazil) U will understand my point of view..
Most European treated Africa as the land of exploitation, from slave trade to Capitalism..They exploited the land, mineral and human resources resulting in those colonies dreadful condition..But again there isn't much different between them and our Presidents..

Mkandara,
It seems to me that you believe the interests of European colonists remained the same throughout the colonial period. I, on other hand, believe that was not the case. As a matter of fact, their interests to remain in Africa were driven by historical events which were happening on their own soil and also around the world throughout the 20th century.

For example, the end of the First World War had two major implications for European colonists. First, the Europeans surrendered their political and economical influences to Americans. Second, their countries were no longer safe in terms of political ideologies and military preparedness. In other words, European regimes weren’t prepared against internal or external threats. At this juncture, how could the interests of colonialists constant, when socialists were preaching that all human are equal? How could their interests remain the same when a young nation called America was becoming military, economically and technologically stronger than Europeans?

Again I am not denying what you say, but I think we shouldn’t treat our history as a narrative of the past events as we do now. Rather, we should treat it as analysis of world events which have negatively and positively impacted our daily lives. Therefore, I believe that there are other world events that are equally important as our own struggle for independence which forced the colonists to rethink their presence in our land. For example, the events that followed the end of the First and Second World War, the emerging of the US and Soviet Union as Superpowers, and the rise of education level in working and middle classes caught European upper class and aristocrats off-guard.

I have learned in this thread that, The Soviet Union gave Tanganyikans 10 scholarships to study in Russia. When a white missionary had about that, he decided to offer Kambona a scholarship to study in UK. Alas! This white missionary was in Tanganyika for many years and it never bothered him to be around natives with no high education.

Justinian Rweyemamu (1942-1982), Prominent Economist

[ame]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Justinian_Rweyemamu[/ame]

na katiika hao waliomvalisha kaptula walikuwa ni akina sheikh hassan bin amir, sheikh said omari abdallah, tewa said tewa, katibu wa eamws enzi hizio abdul-aziz khaki na mzee wa tanu mzee mwinjuma mwinyikambi; makisi mbwana, issa mtambo, omari muhaji na saleh masasi

unless bwana mkandara aataka listi nyingine tofauti

umemsahau selemani takadiri,chairman wa baraza la wazee wa tanu,

Halafu historia ya african association nayo imefutwa,pamoja na historia ya taa,yeye nyerere alijiunga na taa akiwa tabora school,lakini watoto wanafundishwa kuwa alikuja kuuanzisha tanu,wakati tanu ndio taa.

pamoja na kashfa zote hizi za Nyerere sasa kanisa katoliki wanampango wa kumchagua nyerere kama Mtakatifu.

Je ni utakatifu gani alionao Nyerere?

pamoja na kashfa zote hizi za Nyerere sasa kanisa katoliki wanampango wa kumchagua nyerere kama Mtakatifu.

Je ni utakatifu gani alionao Nyerere?

Kweli kabisa HM Hafif. Bora hata wewe una utakatifu fulani kwa kuomba tende mtandaoni ukafuturishe yatima Kisarawe. Ila naona watu hawajui historia. Wamemsahau Sheikh Ndjab al Dude. Huyu alikuwa mstari wa mbele kupigania Uhuru wa Tanganyika tokea enzi za Jelemani...

Nyerere alikuwa laghai namba one na mtu aliyekuwa na roho mbaya sana za kutaka na kuzifuta historia za wenzake na kuitukuza jina lake. yeye alikuwa mdini namba moja ya kutukuza UKATOLIKI na hii sumu aliyoipanda miaka hiyo ndio inayowasibu watanganyika hivi sasa.

hakika Mola amlipe kwa yale aliyofanya hiyo siku ya mwisho.

hii imenifaa sana..nakiri kuchelewa kuiona but i had to go through post after another mpaka mwisho!nimegundua nilikuwa nimepitwa sana...nahitaji irudia historia ya Tanganyika..

Naona mmewasahau kina Habib Punja, Karimjee, Sabodo, wadosi waliojitolea kwa hali na mali kuisaidia TANU kabla ya kupata Uhuru na wengine walijitolea kujenga jengo la Bunge la Kwanza Tanganyika

Kuna bibi Mmoja akiitwa Biti Feruzi, alimvisha Nyerere Baibui Singida, kumficha sishikwe na askari wakati akienda Tabora

Back
Top Bottom