Uchaguzi 2020 US Ambassador to Tanzania: I am concerned, if election officials do not take necessary steps, country's democracy will lose credibility

Kama hatuwezi jisimamia kwann dunia isitusimamie, mbona 2015 ulipigwa uchaguzi wa utulivu Sana kabla ya jiwe kulewa na kuwafundisha tume uhuni wa kupita bila kupingwa

I first came to Tanzania over 30 years ago to volunteer as a doctor, and that experience instilled in me a deep and lasting affection and respect for Tanzania and the Tanzanian people. It was the greatest honor of my life to be given the opportunity to come back all these years later to serve as the U.S. Ambassador to Tanzania. Since my arrival in August, I have seen first-hand and spoken about how U.S. assistance is improving the lives of ordinary Tanzanians, and how increased cooperation and trade will benefit both our peoples.

The bond between the United States and Tanzania dates back to the earliest days of independence, when President Kennedy’s friendship with Mwalimu Nyerere formed the foundation of an enduring partnership based on mutual respect and understanding, with the well-being and prosperity of both of our people at its core. In support of that goal, the United States will contribute more than $546 million to Tanzania’s economic and social development in 2020, and it has contributed more than $7.5 billion in assistance over the past 20 years, much of that to improve the Tanzanian people’s health. The U.S. government also proudly invests in the people of Tanzania through our support for the participation of the country’s talented youth in exchange programs like the Young African Leaders Initiative. Moreover, the U.S. private sector has invested in Tanzania as well, creating jobs for Tanzanians and mutual prosperity for both of our countries.

At the same time as I have promoted the importance of trade and investment, I have also been vocal about the importance of fundamental freedoms, human rights, and democratic processes – including free, fair, and credible elections – as critical foundations of sustainable development.

Calling for free, fair, and credible elections is not meddling in Tanzania’s politics, it is simply standing up for the simple yet fundamental aspiration shared by all people, Americans and Tanzanians alike: to have their voices heard, especially when it comes to choosing who will lead and represent them.

I want to be very clear on this point: the United States does not support a candidate, or a political party, in this election campaign. The United States’ overarching interest in this election is that it be free, fair, and credible, and that the results reflect the will of the Tanzanian people as expressed at the ballot box. That is truly the purest expression of democracy.

To my dismay, I have seen and heard reports of government and security representatives disrupting and preventing candidates’ ability to campaign freely. As we get closer to election day, the pace and severity of these disruptions is quickening and deepening. We have seen political violence, restrictions on media, and a candidate certification process that, by all appearances, gave a clear advantage to the ruling party. Already, we are hearing reports of officials denying poll watchers the ability to do their jobs. Taken together, these developments paint a picture of an electoral process that does not provide a level playing field.

Luckily, there is still time to ensure a more transparent process on October 28. Transparency leads to credibility. One way to promote a transparent election process is to allow independent observers to witness the election and have the freedom to express what they observe. Election officials can go far in restoring faith in the electoral process by ensuring that polling station results are posted publicly, that all party polling agents are sworn in, given access to polling stations and tallying centers nationwide on election day, and provided copies of tallying sheets at the end of the ballot count. As U.S. Supreme Court Justice Louis Brandeis wrote, “sunlight is the best disinfectant.” In other words, government and election transparency can ensure a more credible electoral process. The United States has a long-standing tradition of inviting international observers to our elections, and we welcome them again this year.

I am concerned that if election officials do not take these steps, Tanzania’s democracy will lose credibility in the eyes of the international community. More important, the declared winner may lack legitimacy in the eyes of Tanzanians themselves.

By U.S. Embassy Dar es Salaam | 22 October, 2020 | Topics: Op-Eds, Press Releases
Wanajitahidi! ila yule nyangau mpenda ushoga hatumchagui ng'oooo!

Habari hii ni mwiba mchungu kwa mkoloni mweusi, chakupimbi, bashiri, chama fulani wakiwamo mataga na buku 7 wote.

Hivi kwa nini madhalimu nyie neno haki hatakulitamka tu hamuwezi?
Baada ya uchaguzi huu,tegemea sheria nyingi kandamiz kwa wananchi kufutwa kupitia shinikizo la jumuiya ya kimataifa ikiwemo ubadilishwaji wa tume ya uchaguzi.Bila Support ya Marekani Tanzania haiwezi survive

Kabisa maana amna hata moja analoweza thibitisha halafu anajidai yeye yupo neutral.

Mahaba yao na vibaraka wao mwisho 28102020

Na wanatapatapa sababu wanajua wakitukosa mwaka huu hawatupati milele

Rais wetu anawavuruga sana kwa uzalendo alionao, utendaji na misimamo yake

John Pombe Magufuli shikilia hapohapo🔥🔥🔥🔥

Hii habari si nzuri sana kwa sisi tuliozoea kuteka mawakala na kukimbia na mabox.
Mmechelewesha kupeleka mawakala makusudi NEC imewaongezea siku za kuapisha.

Safari hii lazima unafiki wa CDM uwekwe wazi mabeberu yote yanaona aibu jinsi serikali ilivyoweka mchakato wazi na sawa; kabakia Amsterdam na huyu mwingine nae anaanza kujipendekeza.

Mahaba yao na vibaraka wao mwisho 28102020

Na wanatapatapa sababu wanajua wakitukosa mwaka huu hawatupati milele

Rais wetu anawavuruga sana kwa uzalendo alionao, utendaji na misimamo yake

John Pombe Magufuli shikilia hapohapo🔥🔥🔥🔥
Yaani mataifa yote ya mabeberu yamenywea jinsi mchakato ulivyokuwa wa haki; kabaki Amsterdam peke yake anaropoka huko twitter.

Huyu mzungu mpya naona keshaanza kuwa bored hana cha kufanya bora wamuandalie ziara ya Serengeti kuliko kupayuka mambo ambayo awezi thibitisha.

Kateni misaada na mikopo vinginevyo mambo haya kamwe hayatakoma.

Sijui kwanini nchi wahisani wanashindwa kuweka shariti la kutoa misaada na mikopo kuwa ni lazima nchi husika iwe na Tume Huru ya Uchaguzi inayokubalika na makundi yote.

Ningekuwa na ushawishi, ningeanzisha movement ya kuzitaka nchi tajiri na mashirika ya fedha ya kimataifa kuweka shariti kwamba kila nchi inayotaka msaada au mkopo ni shariti nchi hiyo iwe na Tume Huru ya Uchaguzi inayokubalika na wadau wote wa uchaguzi katika nchi hiyo.

Au kama hili gumu,basi movement yangu nyingine ni kuzishawishi nchi hizi kuweka shariti linaloweza kuwa kama incentive ambapo nchi yenye kuonyesha demokrasia ya kweli kwa kuwa na Tume Huru na Katiba inayokubalika na makundi yote katika nchi kuwa ni moja ya kigezo ncha kwa nchi kupunguziwa au kufutiwa madeni.
Nadhani misaada ikikatwa waathirika wakuu ni wananchi wa kawaida, mfano ikikatwa misaada ya afya (Dawa na matibau ya ukimwi na kifua kikuu), fusra za ufadhili vyuo vikuu watakaoumia ni wananchi wa kawaida, lakini viongozi walio madarakani na jamaa zao hawataathirika, kwani kidogo kitakachobaki kinabaki kwao na mlalahoi ataendeleea kutaabika.

Mama mtu katokea sasa kaona kifaranga hakitoboi. Na bado. 28 tunarudi chama kimoja

Yaani mataifa yote ya mabeberu yamenywea jinsi mchakato ulivyokuwa wa haki; kabaki Amsterdam peke yake anaropoka huko twitter.

Huyu mzungu mpya naona keshaanza kuwa bored hana cha kufanya bora wamuandalie ziara ya Serengeti kuliko kupayuka mambo ambayo awezi thibitisha.

Walishaweka mikakati ya kutupora sasa wanashangaa kila mtego mzee baba John Pombe Magufuli kaunasua. Kwa misimimamo yake hadi CORONA imepita kushoto ikaenda Kenya na Uganda

Watanzania hatuchagui vibaraka wa amerika wala nchi yoyote ya ulaya. Tunasema 5tena kwa John Pombe Magufuli

Daah ama kweli US wameamua namba ninukuu kwa kiswahili chetu pengelee cha mwisho anasema " nahuwiwa kuwa iwapo maofisa wa uchaguzi hawatachukua hatua hizi, demokrasia ya Tanzania itapoteza uhalali katika macho ya jumuia ya kimataifa. Muhimu zaidi, Mshindi atakayetangazwa huenda akakosa uhalali kwenye macho ya Watanzania wenyewe" mwisho wa kunukuu. Huu ni ushahidi kuwa tunamulikwa hatuna pakutokea kama watavuluga uchaguz

I first came to Tanzania over 30 years ago to volunteer as a doctor, and that experience instilled in me a deep and lasting affection and respect for Tanzania and the Tanzanian people. It was the greatest honor of my life to be given the opportunity to come back all these years later to serve as the U.S. Ambassador to Tanzania. Since my arrival in August, I have seen first-hand and spoken about how U.S. assistance is improving the lives of ordinary Tanzanians, and how increased cooperation and trade will benefit both our peoples.

The bond between the United States and Tanzania dates back to the earliest days of independence, when President Kennedy’s friendship with Mwalimu Nyerere formed the foundation of an enduring partnership based on mutual respect and understanding, with the well-being and prosperity of both of our people at its core. In support of that goal, the United States will contribute more than $546 million to Tanzania’s economic and social development in 2020, and it has contributed more than $7.5 billion in assistance over the past 20 years, much of that to improve the Tanzanian people’s health. The U.S. government also proudly invests in the people of Tanzania through our support for the participation of the country’s talented youth in exchange programs like the Young African Leaders Initiative. Moreover, the U.S. private sector has invested in Tanzania as well, creating jobs for Tanzanians and mutual prosperity for both of our countries.

At the same time as I have promoted the importance of trade and investment, I have also been vocal about the importance of fundamental freedoms, human rights, and democratic processes – including free, fair, and credible elections – as critical foundations of sustainable development.

Calling for free, fair, and credible elections is not meddling in Tanzania’s politics, it is simply standing up for the simple yet fundamental aspiration shared by all people, Americans and Tanzanians alike: to have their voices heard, especially when it comes to choosing who will lead and represent them.

I want to be very clear on this point: the United States does not support a candidate, or a political party, in this election campaign. The United States’ overarching interest in this election is that it be free, fair, and credible, and that the results reflect the will of the Tanzanian people as expressed at the ballot box. That is truly the purest expression of democracy.

To my dismay, I have seen and heard reports of government and security representatives disrupting and preventing candidates’ ability to campaign freely. As we get closer to election day, the pace and severity of these disruptions is quickening and deepening. We have seen political violence, restrictions on media, and a candidate certification process that, by all appearances, gave a clear advantage to the ruling party. Already, we are hearing reports of officials denying poll watchers the ability to do their jobs. Taken together, these developments paint a picture of an electoral process that does not provide a level playing field.

Luckily, there is still time to ensure a more transparent process on October 28. Transparency leads to credibility. One way to promote a transparent election process is to allow independent observers to witness the election and have the freedom to express what they observe. Election officials can go far in restoring faith in the electoral process by ensuring that polling station results are posted publicly, that all party polling agents are sworn in, given access to polling stations and tallying centers nationwide on election day, and provided copies of tallying sheets at the end of the ballot count. As U.S. Supreme Court Justice Louis Brandeis wrote, “sunlight is the best disinfectant.” In other words, government and election transparency can ensure a more credible electoral process. The United States has a long-standing tradition of inviting international observers to our elections, and we welcome them again this year.

I am concerned that if election officials do not take these steps, Tanzania’s democracy will lose credibility in the eyes of the international community. More important, the declared winner may lack legitimacy in the eyes of Tanzanians themselves.

By U.S. Embassy Dar es Salaam | 22 October, 2020 | Topics: Op-Eds, Press Releases
Thank you so much Mr Ambassador. We really need America to take serious actions this year. It’s obvious that this election is being rigged in a very serious manner.

Walishaweka mikakati ya kutupora sasa wanashangaa kila mtego mzee baba John Pombe Magufuli kaunasua. Kwa misimimamo yake hadi CORONA imepita kushoto ikaenda Kenya na Uganda

Watanzania hatuchagui vibaraka wa amerika wala nchi yoyote ya ulaya. Tunasema 5tena kwa John Pombe Magufuli
Ukweli mtupu

Kateni misaada na mikopo vinginevyo mambo haya kamwe hayatakoma.

Sijui kwanini nchi wahisani wanashindwa kuweka shariti la kutoa misaada na mikopo kuwa ni lazima nchi husika iwe na Tume Huru ya Uchaguzi inayokubalika na makundi yote.

Ningekuwa na ushawishi, ningeanzisha movement ya kuzitaka nchi tajiri na mashirika ya fedha ya kimataifa kuweka shariti kwamba kila nchi inayotaka msaada au mkopo ni shariti nchi hiyo iwe na Tume Huru ya Uchaguzi inayokubalika na wadau wote wa uchaguzi katika nchi hiyo.

Au kama hili gumu,basi movement yangu nyingine ni kuzishawishi nchi hizi kuweka shariti linaloweza kuwa kama incentive ambapo nchi yenye kuonyesha demokrasia ya kweli kwa kuwa na Tume Huru na Katiba inayokubalika na makundi yote katika nchi kuwa ni moja ya kigezo ncha kwa nchi kupunguziwa au kufutiwa madeni.

Jitihada za nchi wahisani na mashirika ya fedha ya kimataifa za kuondoa umasikini katika mataifa yanayoendelea,hasa Afrika, haziwezi kufanikiwa iwapo katika nchi hizi hakuna demokrasia ya kweli hivyo kuna ulazima wa kulazimisha nchi hizi kuwa na demokrasia vinginevyo maendeleo yatachukuwa muda mrefu kufikia katika nchi hizi.

Demokrasia ya kweli inafanya watawala wawajibike kwa watu wao na nchi zao na hivyo kuwezesha maendeleo kupatikana kwa haraka zaidi.
Hatu chomoki safari hii wamesha pandisha mzuka

We mtoto wa tandale,ungeishi kule usingemshabikia jiwe matendo yake ya kinauncivilized utadhani akupita skull
Ulivyo na uwezo mdogo wa kufikiria unafikiri kuishi tandale Tanzania na kuishi masaki kuna tofauti kubwa kama ardhi na mbingu.
Hebu pita kushoto kanunuliwe kama mlivyozoea kujiuza. Mlijiuza kwa Lowasa mkaachwa sasa mnajiuza kwa Amstadamz na team yake

Back
Top Bottom