The Chakwera Model in the Africa we want

Freddie Matuja

JF-Expert Member
Jul 21, 2018
Habari wakubwa. Nimkutana na hii hotuba ya Rais wa Malawi, na maoni macheche wa muandishi.

Aidha chini kabisa nimekuja na ushauri kwa mtazamo mwingine ambao nadhani Rais Chakwera angeanza nao.

The Chakwera Model in the Africa we want 👇🏼

The President of Malawi, Lazarus Chakwera, has a weekly radio address in which he updates the citizens on progress made and sets down the tone and direction of his leadership. Last Saturday’s address was perhaps the most interesting yet
This, in part, is what he said:

"Fellow Malawians,

"I have noted with delight that there is much interest in my plans to trim the powers of the president. Because of that interest, I am confident that when this project is well underway, it will have your full support.

"Reducing presidential powers is something that is often promised but never delivered, but I think you know by now that I do not say something unless I mean to do it. But to get this done, I need your support.

"But it is important that we all understand what these powers are.

"The first category of powers a president has is positional. In our jurisdiction, there are certain positions and offices that are reserved for the president alone, such as the positions of Head of State, Head of Government, and Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces.

"It is time we reviewed the merits of having the president also occupy an office like the Chancellor of the public University.This is a relic from a bygone era. I know of no free country in which the State President is at helm of an institution that exists to produce free thinkers.

" Second category has to do with certain decisions that are reserved for a president to make. It’s my view that there are too many decisions made by a president, so I mean to reduce that. Having a president make too many decisions has created problems for our country for a long time.

"There must be decisions that when made by Parliament are final, and even where the President has the power to veto such decisions, he should no longer be allowed to sabotage the governance framework by sitting on the decision.

"The third category of powers a president has is that of appointments. From the Judiciary, to the Legislature, to the Executive, all the way to constitutionally mandated institutions designed to operate independently, the boards of statutory corporations, foreign embassies...
we have the anomaly of having all of them look to the president as the appointing authority. This is unwise. No person is good or humble enough to be entrusted with that much appointing power.

"The fourth category of presidential powers which need trimming is cultural. We need to review our behaviors towards a president, because how we behave around a president is what creates a national perception of how much power he or she has... This includes how we address a president, how many times a president is mentioned in salutations at a single event , how many cars and firepower a president’s convoy has, and so forth...

"During the campaign for presidential elections, I noted that many political campaigns conducted by state officials were using state resources like state vehicles and state security. We need to think about the limits and parameters of this culture because it is now regularly abused.

"Even if it may not be possible to fully separate state resources from the activities of political parties, we need rules that clearly spell out when the overlap between party and state is acceptable and when it is abusive.
When I propose laws to address these inconsistencies, I ask you to support me by demanding that your MPs vote for these changes. Malawi needs a more empowered citizenry . The way to achieve that is to increase the powers of governance institutions and decrease powers of the president

~ENDS."

Now, should Chakwera live up to his word, he will set Malawi on a very different trajectory of active citizenship , accountability in leadership and a healthy relationship between the people and their president.

" This is the Africa we want , the Africa that solves the African problem with the African solution " - Peter🦅🦁Kalenga

Kindly read my view below

Ziwa Malawi au Nyasa wana eneo la 24,405 km2;
Jumla ya ukubwa wa ardhi ya Malawi ni 118,484 km²; Israel wana ukubwa wa eneo 22,145 km² nusu ya ardhi yao ni jangwa. (Malawi ni kubwa mara 5 ya Israel);

Netherlands ina ukubwa wa eneo 41,543 km² (Malawi ni kubwa mara 2.85 ya Netherlands). I wish part ya hotuba yake namna gani anafikirisha Wamalawi kutumia ziwa Nyasa ambalo ni kubwa kuliko nchi ya Israel ili Malawi iwe ina export wa diverse of fish products from fresh water to the Middle East Market ambako wana- import vyakula ikiwamo samaki kwa asilimia kubwa sana.

Kenya wamefanya sana mchezo wa kikatiba ya kufanya separation of power kati ya legislative assembly, judiciary na executive branch; hakuna significant +ve change hasa kwenye maisha ya watu ikiwamo kukuza uzalishaji wa ndani na kuwafanya watu wamudu mahitaji ya kijamii kitokana na uzalishaji.

Marekani na mataifa ya EU huwa wanapigania economic interest kama kipaumbele namba 1 then haya masuala ya kubishana kwa hoja yanakuwa last resort.

Anyway, we view the world on different perspective. I wish President Chakwera angeanza na competitive advantage ya namna gani Malawi inatakiwa ing'are hasa kwenye kushadadia kukuza uzalishaji ikiwamo kutumia ardhi na maji kukuza uzalishaji endelevu. Technology na know how could be key factors to see President Chakwera is becoming a game changer in the lives of people of Malawi.

Habari wakubwa. Nimkutana na hii hotuba ya Rais wa Malawi, na maoni macheche wa muandishi.

Aidha chini kabisa nimekuja na ushauri kwa mtazamo mwingine ambao nadhani Rais Chakwera angeanza nao.

The Chakwera Model in the Africa we want 👇🏼

The President of Malawi, Lazarus Chakwera, has a weekly radio address in which he updates the citizens on progress made and sets down the tone and direction of his leadership. Last Saturday’s address was perhaps the most interesting yet
This, in part, is what he said:

"Fellow Malawians,

"I have noted with delight that there is much interest in my plans to trim the powers of the president. Because of that interest, I am confident that when this project is well underway, it will have your full support.

"Reducing presidential powers is something that is often promised but never delivered, but I think you know by now that I do not say something unless I mean to do it. But to get this done, I need your support.

"But it is important that we all understand what these powers are.

"The first category of powers a president has is positional. In our jurisdiction, there are certain positions and offices that are reserved for the president alone, such as the positions of Head of State, Head of Government, and Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces.

"It is time we reviewed the merits of having the president also occupy an office like the Chancellor of the public University.This is a relic from a bygone era. I know of no free country in which the State President is at helm of an institution that exists to produce free thinkers.

" Second category has to do with certain decisions that are reserved for a president to make. It’s my view that there are too many decisions made by a president, so I mean to reduce that. Having a president make too many decisions has created problems for our country for a long time.

"There must be decisions that when made by Parliament are final, and even where the President has the power to veto such decisions, he should no longer be allowed to sabotage the governance framework by sitting on the decision.

"The third category of powers a president has is that of appointments. From the Judiciary, to the Legislature, to the Executive, all the way to constitutionally mandated institutions designed to operate independently, the boards of statutory corporations, foreign embassies...
we have the anomaly of having all of them look to the president as the appointing authority. This is unwise. No person is good or humble enough to be entrusted with that much appointing power.

"The fourth category of presidential powers which need trimming is cultural. We need to review our behaviors towards a president, because how we behave around a president is what creates a national perception of how much power he or she has... This includes how we address a president, how many times a president is mentioned in salutations at a single event , how many cars and firepower a president’s convoy has, and so forth...

"During the campaign for presidential elections, I noted that many political campaigns conducted by state officials were using state resources like state vehicles and state security. We need to think about the limits and parameters of this culture because it is now regularly abused.

"Even if it may not be possible to fully separate state resources from the activities of political parties, we need rules that clearly spell out when the overlap between party and state is acceptable and when it is abusive.
When I propose laws to address these inconsistencies, I ask you to support me by demanding that your MPs vote for these changes. Malawi needs a more empowered citizenry . The way to achieve that is to increase the powers of governance institutions and decrease powers of the president

~ENDS."

Now, should Chakwera live up to his word, he will set Malawi on a very different trajectory of active citizenship , accountability in leadership and a healthy relationship between the people and their president.

" This is the Africa we want , the Africa that solves the African problem with the African solution " - Peter🦅🦁Kalenga

Kindly read my view below

Ziwa Malawi au Nyasa wana eneo la 24,405 km2;
Jumla ya ukubwa wa ardhi ya Malawi ni 118,484 km²; Israel wana ukubwa wa eneo 22,145 km² nusu ya ardhi yao ni jangwa. (Malawi ni kubwa mara 5 ya Israel);

Netherlands ina ukubwa wa eneo 41,543 km² (Malawi ni kubwa mara 2.85 ya Netherlands). I wish part ya hotuba yake namna gani anafikirisha Wamalawi kutumia ziwa Nyasa ambalo ni kubwa kuliko nchi ya Israel ili Malawi iwe ina export wa diverse of fish products from fresh water to the Middle East Market ambako wana- import vyakula ikiwamo samaki kwa asilimia kubwa sana.

Kenya wamefanya sana mchezo wa kikatiba ya kufanya separation of power kati ya legislative assembly, judiciary na executive branch; hakuna significant +ve change hasa kwenye maisha ya watu ikiwamo kukuza uzalishaji wa ndani na kuwafanya watu wamudu mahitaji ya kijamii kitokana na uzalishaji.

Marekani na mataifa ya EU huwa wanapigania economic interest kama kipaumbele namba 1 then haya masuala ya kubishana kwa hoja yanakuwa last resort.

Anyway, we view the world on different perspective. I wish President Chakwera angeanza na competitive advantage ya namna gani Malawi inatakiwa ing'are hasa kwenye kushadadia kukuza uzalishaji ikiwamo kutumia ardhi na maji kukuza uzalishaji endelevu. Technology na know how could be key factors to see Pressidet Chakwera is becoming a game changer in the lives of people of Malawi.

Fred Matuja
I like the increase of the powers to governing institutions to reduce powers of the president

Hajafanya hivyo,
Aliteua watu wawili walio ndugu kama vile Alex Vindman na pacha wake walivyoteuliwa kufanya kazi White House.
Huyu jamaa alipoteza credibility alivyojaza ndugu na jamaa zake kwenye cabinet.

Anatoa hotuba nzuri sana. Kwenye utendaji nina shaka.

Chadema ikishika dola tegemea ikulu kujaa ndugu wa mwenyekiti na makamu wake.

Back
Top Bottom