SUMATRA shocked by Zanzibar Tragedy

Njowepo

JF-Expert Member
Feb 26, 2008
digg

By The Citizen Reporter
Dar es Salaam. The Surface and Maritime Transport Regulatory Authority (Sumatra) yesterday expressed sorrow over the bad news about another ship, which sank while going to Zanzibar.

Speaking to The Citizen, Sumatra Public Relations officer Mr David Mziray said they were following up to establish the cause of the accident.

“We have received the news that a ship has capsized near Zanzibar. It is very early to say anything... what I can say for now is that we have already embarked on a rescue mission and investigate the cause,” he said.

He noted that they had communicated with the Dar es Salaam Maritime Rescue Coordination Centre (MRCC) and would issue a pubic statement later.

Meanwhile, speaking at Dar es Salaam Port yesterday some relatives of people, who travelled by the ship expressed their dismay over a delayed rescue operation.

Speaking with BBC Swahili Service yesterday evening, Mr Ali Hamza Ngonyani said there were five relatives on the ship including his children and ex-wife.

“I received them this (yesterday) morning from Ikwiriri and my intention was to send them to Zanzibar using Mv Kilimanjaro but we missed the tickets. Therefore, I got tickets for Seagull,” he said.

He explained that it was unfortunate that the company offices were closed and there was no one to tell him anything.

Mr Suleiman Yusuf said he bought five tickets for his colleagues, who left midday yesterday. “But I have not received any information on their condition. It is unfortunate that there is no one to give us information about our relatives, who were on the ship,” he also told BBC.

Back
Top Bottom