He checked his downloads because he didn't downloaded any Large File recently. According to him the drive must have a free space of around 100 GB.
This problem was mainly caused by a worm called Space Eater or you can call it whatever you want
Here if you're also facing similar kind of problem then you need to take few counter measures to avoid such problem in future.
- Install a Firewall.
- Use Latest Anti virus
- Keep Updating you Anti virus.
- Use Anti-key logger, Anti-Spy ware,Anti-malware etc
- Download the songs, software from trusted websites only
- Don't click on any suspicious link.
- Open you Drive and Search for a file with Suspicious size (like 80-90 GB). Most of the cases the file will be of the name spaceshot.dll just search and delete this file.
- Uninstall all the unwanted programs.
- If you're still unable to get your space back then try this....
Download the Combo Fix for your Desktop. Download it from here.
- Disable all your anti virus and Anti-malware and similar programs
- Disconnect from Internet
- Only then Start scanning with Combo Fix
- Don't close the scan window until it get complete.
- You'll get your lost space back.