Prostate Check at the Barbershop

uporoto01

JF-Expert Member
May 23, 2008
If you live in New Jersey you can have your prostate checked before or after a haircut-according to the Star ledger newspaper.In a pilot scheme that intends to bring mens health nearer to them in an environment they are comfortable with.This service is free and a room has been set up for this in many of the barbershops.Men are also educated on their health issues at the same venue and any questions answered.I think we should have a similar scheme in Tanzania.

Men tend to shy away because of the embarrasing procedure... may be if male doctors could do more to educate and sensitize them on the importance of having checks especially after turning 40 just as women go for pap smears and mamography. Men you really need to take care of yourself... better a little embarrasment now or else you will be sorry when you start wetting yourselves and start wearing "pampers"!

I have no problem with the procedure as long as its done by a female doctor.I connot picture a male doctor doing the procedure on me HAPANA!

I have no problem with the procedure as long as its done by a female doctor.I connot picture a male doctor doing the procedure on me HAPANA!

I AGREE WITH YOU; IT IS MORE EMBARRASSING WHEN DONE BY A FELLOW MALE

m

Munaongea tu nyie, labda unaumwa kidogo tu, lakini kama uko taabani hata anayeangalia ni mwanaume hutaona kwamba ni tabu.

Kwani dokta wa kiume atafanya nini kitakachokufanya uone aibu?

Let me spell it out for you Darwin, the procedure goes as follows:
1. Patient lies on left side, on the edge of the bed with his back to the doctor
2. Patient flexes right knee while extending left knee
3. Doctor explains to patient that (s)he is going to have to examine him by inserting his index finger into the anus
4. Doctor applies KY gel on index finger of right hand
5. Doctor is supposed to examine the external appearance of the anal region, feel for the anal sphincter tone, feel the mucosa of the rectum (just inside the anus) for any lumps, indurations
6. Doctor palpates the anterior wall of the rectum, where one can feel the prostate gland. (S)he attempts to estimate the size of the prostate (usually ~20gm/ should be able to feel beyond it's distal pole), feels the surface etc

This is probably why some people would prefer this to be done by a female doctor.

One laboratory investigation that can be done is to test for PSA (prostate specific antigen) which is a tumor marker BUT ONLY FOR SCREENING FOR PROSTATIC CANCER, IT WILL NOT SCREEN FOR BPH (benign prostatic hypertrophy) which is the cause for the majority of leaky bladders in men.

I hope this has helped.
PS Don't mind my name "injinia", if you have any health related queries just let me know.

Last edited:
1. Patient lies on left side, on the edge of the bed with his back to the doctor
3. Doctor explains to patient that (s)he is going to have to examine him by inserting his index finger into the anus
5. Doctor is supposed to examine the external appearance of the anal region, feel for the anal sphincter tone, feel the mucosa of the rectum (just inside the anus) for any lumps, indurations
6. Doctor palpates the anterior wall of the rectum, where one can feel the prostate gland. (S)he attempts to estimate the size of the prostate (usually ~20gm/ should be able to feel beyond it's distal pole), feels the surface etc

This is probably why some people would prefer this to be done by a female doctor.

One laboratory investigation that can be done is to test for PSA (prostate specific antigen) which is a tumor marker BUT ONLY FOR SCREENING FOR PROSTATIC CANCER, IT WILL NOT SCREEN FOR BPH (benign prostatic hypertrophy) which is the cause for the majority of leaky bladders in men.

I hope this has helped.
PS Don't mind my name "injinia", if you have any health related queries just let me know.

Jamani hii ndiyo njia pekee au kuna njia ingine ya kuchekiwa?

I hope this has helped.

Yaiiiiicks ... this is something .. jf boys .. hw many of you have done this??? comeone guys its for your health

Munaongea tu nyie, labda unaumwa kidogo tu, lakini kama uko taabani hata anayeangalia ni mwanaume hutaona kwamba ni tabu.

Kwani dokta wa kiume atafanya nini kitakachokufanya uone aibu?

Hapa kinachoongelewa ni check-up kwa watu wazima wanaotaka kujua afya ya prostate zao sio wogonjwa[inashauriwa kwa wote over 40].Mtu ukisha ugua nadhani ni mambo tofauti hapo.

jamani mambo hayo ni kwa mashoga ama???au ndio sayansi na teke linalo kujia la siku hizi?wazee wa zamani wamepitia hayo??ama kweli shetani n his washirika r very brave

Labda tu kama maana yake ni kuogopa kuchunguzwa na Dr ambaye ni basha. Sivyo, sioni ni kwa nini mtu uone aibu kuchunguzwa na Dr mwanaume.

Yaiiiiicks ... this is something .. jf boys .. hw many of you have done this??? comeone guys its for your health

Hmmmm!!!....labda waniuwe jamani.

Kuna mzanzibar mmoja alitia timu mitaa ya Canada na akawa ana ishu za
bladder malfunction.Kuenda kwa daktari, akaambiwa atafanyiwa hii procedure.
Mbona mzanzibari wa watu asipandishe mori na kukana kua huu ugonjwa haupo Afrika!...ilikua sarakasi ya vichekesho.

The guy cam back from hosi and stayed a couple of weeks kisha akarudi
Zenj.

jamani mambo hayo ni kwa mashoga ama???au ndio sayansi na teke linalo kujia la siku hizi?wazee wa zamani wamepitia hayo??ama kweli shetani n his washirika r very brave

Yataka moyo kumwachie mume mwenzio "ngome aichezee".
Our cultures have made us very rigid as it is.

Brethren, you are saying so because you are not yet 60 and your urine is flowing just fine, ukianza kuziba a rectal exam will be the last thing you worry about. The test is purely for medical reasons, no reasons to be ashamed of it! Good news though, you can check your prostate by ultrasound....but the finger is more reliable when assessing its surface etc

Bado sijamielewa vizuri, yaani inakua rahisi utiwe madole na mwanamke lakini sio dokta mwanaume?

Na halafu nasema nikwamba huumwi lakini ukiwa unaumwa hio utaona sio issue kubwa

I don't like it....I already feel offended just by reading it....!!!

Tulia Rodelite .. its only for your health .. kwani nani atajua .. he wont even remember coz hes doing it to several other people ... tena ukitoka kwenye chumba cha daktari .. you will notice kwamba kuna several others on the bench waiting to undergo the samething si wewe pekeyako .. tena unatoka na mbwembwe nyingi hata miluzi unapiga kwenye corridor .. anyway unahitaji ushauri nasaha .. hujaumwa wewe .. sisi wanawake tusingekubali kuzalishwa na wanaume .. lakini it happens all the time and guess what .. they are the best.

Meanwhile mtu yeyote anayepigwa risasi hususan sehemu ya 'torso' lazima
utiwe kidole ndani ya 'nanaliu' kucheki kama una-bleed ya aina yoyote.Kwa
ufupi watakuambia wenyewe eti they are checking for 'rectal tone'.
Madaktari wa Trauma kiboko kwa maswala haya!

Back
Top Bottom