Looking for fast wireless internet service in Dar

village

May 14, 2011
Dear friends,

I am hoping to find someone with some good local experience. I have some dear friends in Dar es Salaam near Kilwa Road and Mbagala Road who are trying to decide which wireless data service will be the fastest and most reliable. I currently live on the other side of the world, but I am trying to help and find some information for them. Please allow me to apologize in advance that I do not understand much Swahili; I would like to learn it in the future. English is my language of choice, particularly with technology. I know a little Spanish, Finnish, and Swahili, but not enough to talk technology.

I have quite a bit of background with wireless services, including WiMAX, not sure if that is a current offering in Dar? I also have a decent understanding of GSM, CDMA, and WiFi, so I will understand some technical comments. Any help you could offer would be much appreciated. I have never been to TZ, but hope to visit sometime soon, God willing.

In the past, my friends have used a Vodacom E 270 USB modem, but they say this service is very slow. If you have any comments that would help me to lead them in the right direction, please let me know.

Thanks,

Don

Wimax is a bit expensive for single user in tanzania!

Asdvise your friend to go for usb modems...ask vodacom they have 3G coverage 85% of Dar.

Any idea how much TSH for 3g from Vodacom -vs- price of wimax? Depending upon the installed sites coverage, WiMAX might be the right choice. Do you happen to know which carrier offers WiMAX coverage and the extent of their deployment?

The problem is the providers limit the speed, so it doesn't matter of you have WiMax or GSM 3G, speed is limited by the providers not by the technology.
Speed also depends on whether the area has 3G coverage or not, so moving from A to B you get different speeds depending on which tower you are connected to.

Plus there are no major ISPs who provide WiMax services as far as I know, your best bet is to get a USB modem from one of the Mobile Telecoms providers or use a 3G phone and tether it to your computer.

Vodacom Vodacom Tanzania - Homepage have an Unlimited package (30,000/=), but it is slow. They also have pay as you go packages which are fast but cost more.

Airtel Internet Access | Africa have pay as you go at 2500/= for 400 Mb I hear the speed is good.

There is also Zantel,Sasatel, Tigo and TTCL if you don't need wireless and have a phone line this is probably the best.

Thank you very much, this is the sort of info I need! If there are any other comments regarding the speeds of any of the other carriers mentioned, please feel free to offer your opinions and comments! So far, I guess I would lean toward pay-as-you-go. Vodacom or Airtel...