- If you put Saturn in water it would float
- All of the Earth's continents are wider at the north than in the south - and nobody knows why.
- We are moving through space at the rate of 530km a second : Our Galaxy – the Milky Way is spinning at a rate of 225 kilometers per second. In addition, the galaxy is travelling through space at the rate of 305 kilometers per second. This means that we are traveling at a total speed of 530 kilometers (330 miles) per second. That means that in one minute you are about 19 thousand kilometers away from where you were.
- There are two golf balls sitting on the moon : On the first moon landing, US astronaut Alan Shepard swung a six iron four times. His first swing moved the ball less than a meter; his second swing missed and kicked up some dust. The third swing hit that same first ball about 200 yards - a slice. Then he dropped a second ball, and his fourth swing hit the ball about 400 yards.
- The moon is drifting away from Earth : Every year the moon moves about 3.8cm further away from the Earth. This is caused by tidal effects. Consequently, the earth is slowing in rotation by about 0.002 seconds per day per century. Scientists do not know how the moon was created, but the generally accepted theory suggests that a large Mars sized object hit the earth causing the Moon to splinter off.
- The light hitting the earth right now is 30 thousand years old: The energy in the sunlight we see today started out in the core of the Sun 30,000 years ago – it spent most of this time passing through the dense atoms that make the sun and just 8 minutes to reach us once it had left the Sun! The temperature at the core of the sun is 13,600,000 kelvins. All of the energy produced by fusion in the core must travel through many successive layers to the solar photosphere before it escapes into space as sunlight or kinetic energy of particles.
- The Sun loses up to a billion kilograms a second due to solar winds: Solar winds are charged particles that are ejected from the upper surface of the sun due to the high temperature of the corona and the high kinetic energy particles gain through a process that is not well understood at this time. Also, did you know that 1 pinhead of the sun's energy is enough to kill a person at a distance of 160 kilometers?
- If two pieces of metal touch in space, they become permanently stuck together: This may sound unbelievable, but it is true. Two pieces of metal without any coating on them will form in to one piece in the vacuum of space. This doesn't happen on earth because the atmosphere puts a layer of oxidized material between the surfaces. This might seem like it would be a big problem on the space station but as most tools used there have come from earth, they are already coated with material. In fact, the only evidence of this seen so far has been in experiments designed to provoke the reaction. This process is called cold welding. For those who still don't believe it, here is the Wikipedia article on Cold Welding.
- Only 55% of Americans know that the sun is a star.
- The Earth gets 100 tons heavier every day due to falling space dust.
- It would take more than 150 years to drive a car to the sun.
- It takes eight and a half minutes for light to get from the sun to earth.
- Sound doesn't travel in space.
- The Space Shuttle main engine weighs 1/7th as much as a train engine but delivers as much horsepower as 39 locomotives.
- Venus is the only planet that rotates clockwise.
- The volume of the Earth's moon is the same as the volume of the Pacific Ocean.
- The temperature of the earth's interior increases by 1 degree every 60 feet down.
- The sun is 330,330 times larger than the earth!
- The population of the Earth has more than doubled since 1950.
- The heart of an astronaut actually gets smaller when in outer space.
- The Earth weighs around 6,600,000,000,000,000,000,000 tons (5,940 billion billion metric tons)!
- The earth rotates more slowly on its axis in March than in September.
- More than 20 million meteoroids enter Earth's atmosphere every day.
- In space, astronauts cannot cry properly, because there is no gravity, so the tears can't flow down their faces!
- If you went out into space, you would explode before you suffocated because there's no air pressure.
- Any space vehicle must move at a rate of 7 miles per second in order to escape the earth's gravitational pull.
- A comet's tail always points away from the sun.
sources: Space Facts | Astronomy Fact | Alien Trivia ,
Top 10 Cool Facts about*Space
Haya sasa...we unadhani namba ngapi ni more interestings? mimi number 24 imeniacha hoi sana...!!