Instead of judging ask questions

Felixonfellix

JF-Expert Member
Feb 16, 2010
We all know that we are not suppose to judge others. Jesus couldn’t have been more clear on this matter. Yet, we constantly judge our spouse every week! How? We have negative beliefs about our spouse and we make assumptions (or judgements) about their thoughts or actions.
For example, I struggle with negative beliefs about my wife that she will yell at me if I mess up. Of course this is a result of past experiences, but it is still a judgement against her. Because what if I’m wrong? Also, how do I know that my negative attitude about her is not setting her up to escalate? My negative beliefs will get me worked up and upset before I ever have an interaction with her!
Instead of assuming that we know what our spouse thinks or feels, we need to ask if we are accurate. It would sound like, “Hey, I’m probably wrong about this, but it seems like you’re really mad at me. Is this accurate?”
We can stop judging our spouse by simply asking questions and being open to a different possibility.

We all know that we are not suppose to judge others. Jesus couldn’t have been more clear on this matter. Yet, we constantly judge our spouse every week! How? We have negative beliefs about our spouse and we make assumptions (or judgements) about their thoughts or actions.
For example, I struggle with negative beliefs about my wife that she will yell at me if I mess up. Of course this is a result of past experiences, but it is still a judgement against her. Because what if I’m wrong? Also, how do I know that my negative attitude about her is not setting her up to escalate? My negative beliefs will get me worked up and upset before I ever have an interaction with her!
Instead of assuming that we know what our spouse thinks or feels, we need to ask if we are accurate. It would sound like, “Hey, I’m probably wrong about this, but it seems like you’re really mad at me. Is this accurate?”
We can stop judging our spouse by simply asking questions and being open to a different possibility.

Back
Top Bottom