I See Through My Tooth...

X-PASTER

JF-Expert Member
Feb 12, 2007
A blinded man has seen his wife for the first time after surgeons gave him back his sight using one of his teeth.

Blinded Man Regains Sight
With Tooth For Eye Enlarge photo

Martin Jones' canine was pulled out so a tiny optical lens could be fitted to it.

Then, amazingly, the tooth was inserted in his eye socket.

The 42-year-old lost his left eye and was totally blinded in the right 12 years ago when a tub of molten aluminium exploded in his face at the scrapyard where he worked.

He had all but given up hope of ever seeing again until hearing about operations performed by surgeon Christopher Lui and his team in Brighton, East Sussex.

Mr Jones had his tooth was implanted in his cheek for three months to grow blood vessels and new tissue.

Once it was moved into his eye it was around two weeks until he could see.

He said when the bandages came off the first person he wanted to see was his 50-year-old wife Gill.

The pair had married four years ago and settled down in Rotherham, South Yorkshire - but Jones had never seen his bride.

"The doctors took the bandages off and it was like looking through water," he explained to the Sun newspaper.

"Then I saw this figure and it was her, it was unbelieveable."

He added: "When I tell friends I see through my tooth they don't believe me."

"But then I take off my glasses - and my eye looks like something from a sci-fi movie."

Back
Top Bottom