I removed Binaisa, reveals Museveni

ByaseL

JF-Expert Member
Nov 22, 2007
By Henry Mukasa

PRESIDENT Yoweri Museveni deposed former president Godfrey Lukongwa Binaisa because he let political schemers manipulate his short-lived presidency, he told mourners yesterday.

However, by the time Binaisa died, they had reconciled, the President added.

Speaking at Binaisa’s burial in Nateete, a Kampala suburb, Museveni also said he participated in the ouster of President Yusuf Kironde Lule over dishonesty.

Binaisa, 90, was buried at Mackay Church of Uganda next to his father’s grave. The former head of state died in his sleep at his home in Makindye on August 5. He received a 21-gun salute.

The Uganda Police pall-bearers handled the body as the Police band played dirges.

Museveni said he met Binaisa in the 1970s at Kilimanjaro Hotel when allied forces based in Tanzania were plotting to overthrow dictator Idi Amin. Binaisa impressed him as an articulate and humorous person, he noted.

“When we got here, we got problems with Lule because he forgot us. He said, ‘I am the President, forget all what we discussed in Moshi.’ I said, ‘whoever forgets people who help him to get where he is deserves a punishment.’ We toppled Lule. I took part in removing Lule because he did not follow what we agreed.”

Museveni recalled that during the search for Lule’s successor, he proposed Binaisa, who had to compete with Edward Rugumayo and the late Paulo Muwanga.

Because Muwanga scored a dismal three votes, his camp asked Rugumayo to withdraw from the race and Binaisa became president. He reigned between June 20, 1979 and May 12, 1980.

“Our group put Binaisa in power. Those who talk about Binaisa should know where he came from,” Museveni recounted.

He said the political problem of the day was treachery, dishonesty and lies, which, he said, still prevail. Months into power, the President recalled, Binaisa was convinced by conspirators to remove Museveni from the defence ministry because he was “a stumbling block”.

“Buli omu yali ali mu kibalo (everyone was scheming). DP and UPC were moving around with a calculator instead of seeking consensus and we move as a team. I wondered; ‘How could my friend who I brought sack me as minister on radio?’ That’s how I fell out with Binaisa,” Museveni explained.

“Our calculation was scientific. I decided we needed to get rid of Binaisa because he had become a problem,” Museveni stated.

The President said he met Binaisa in Libya and re-united with him. “When we came to power (in 1986), he was in the United States and we called him back,” Museveni said.

“I am very glad for the last ten years Binaisa was here (from exile). We have been interacting. I had forgotten that he sacked me. I am glad he died when we had reconciled and we are here to celebrate his life. May his soul rest in eternal peace.”

Museveni is tactless and crass.

Museveni was and is a Gadafi ear and eye in Uganda. Gadafi new that tha chances for Idd Amin to survive as President just when the war was going on was minor. So he prepaired plan B that won the race.

Nyerere was left at the corner not knowing that the Mlimani university student 'Museveni' that he was prepairing for many years as he did for Kikwete and sheikh Sharif was just Gadafi's son. The whole war was useless!!

Dr Nyerere was tought a leson by illeterate ex soldier 'Gadafi'.

Nigeria na Uganda ndo nchi zinaongoza kuwa na idadi kubwa ya marais.Na sababu kubwa ni mapinduzi. Mseven ndiye rais aliyekaa madarani kwa muda mrefu kati ya viongozi wote wa kijeshi wa Uganda.

Kwa analysis za haraka haraka Mseven alijua na anajua kucheza karata zake vizuri.

Museveni was and is a Gadafi ear and eye in Uganda. Gadafi new that tha chances for Idd Amin to survive as President just when the war was going on was minor. So he prepaired plan B that won the race.

Nyerere was left at the corner not knowing that the Mlimani university student 'Museveni' that he was prepairing for many years as he did for Kikwete and sheikh Sharif was just Gadafi's son. The whole war was useless!!

Dr Nyerere was tought a leson by illeterate ex soldier 'Gadafi'.

My dia frend it iz beta zat yu komyuniket yua aidiaz in kiswahili, adhawaiz yu wil mek yuaselfu e lafing stok.

Nigeria na Uganda ndo nchi zinaongoza kuwa na idadi kubwa ya marais.Na sababu kubwa ni mapinduzi. Mseven ndiye rais aliyekaa madarani kwa muda mrefu kati ya viongozi wote wa kijeshi wa Uganda.

Kwa analysis za haraka haraka Mseven alijua na anajua kucheza karata zake vizuri.

It is sad to say that he stayed in power for decades and still Uganda is at her knees. Kagame on the other side (who he came to power in same style), stayed in power for nearly a decade and transformed Rwanda into something we all talk about. So he plays his cards for staying in office and do nothing, other than getting paid.

My dia frend it iz beta zat yu komyuniket yua aidiaz in kiswahili, adhawaiz yu wil mek yuaselfu e lafing stok.

Let her practice, for it will be even worse if she doesn't! Go girl! I presume Zawadi are chicks' names in Tanzanian culture!

1. It is sad to say that he stayed in power for decades and still Uganda is at her knees. Kagame on the other side (who he came to power in same style), stayed in power for nearly a decade and transformed Rwanda into something we all talk about. So he plays his cards for staying in office and do nothing, other than getting paid.

Has he quit?

It is sad to say that he stayed in power for decades and still Uganda is at her knees. Kagame on the other side (who he came to power in same style), stayed in power for nearly a decade and transformed Rwanda into something we all talk about. So he plays his cards for staying in office and do nothing, other than getting paid.

One of the key area Mseven has played his cards well is in TRIBALISM. BAGANDA, NKOLE mhhhh.A DO u know within Uganda a good number of people consider Idd Amin one of the great pesident they ever had.

Yes there are critics but for being in that position in that county for that much time show how capable he is.

One of the key area Mseven has played his cards well is in TRIBALISM. BAGANDA, NKOLE mhhhh.A DO u know within Uganda a good number of people consider Idd Amin one of the great pesident they ever had.

Yes there are critics but for being in that position in that county for that much time show how capable he is.

I was in Kampala in 2002 and this guy from Baganda was telling me he thought Iddi Amin was a great president, and I was like "for real ?". I think people liked the childish antics of expelling Indians and the strongman complex.

But what I can't understand is, how can they justify all that killing and buffoonery, the senseless war ? I hope these people are in the minority but the more I hear about this the more I am convinced there is a sizable proportion subscribing to this nonsense, at least enouh to convince Amin he could make a comeback in the 90's when he boarded a plane all the way to Kinshasa, en route to Kampala, before being discovered.

But then again Amin didn't need much convincing when it comes to a powergrab.

Museveni, does he like to speak honestly or most of his past stories are told to impress people? I wish he could tell us some stories about Paul Kagame, who by then was under his tutelage and today he has become master of his own

Museveni, does he like to speak honestly or most of his past stories are told to impress people? I wish he could tell us some stories about Paul Kagame, who by then was under his tutelage and today he has become master of his own
Ndahani,
I hope you have read Museveni's book Sowing the Mustard Seed.

MUSEVENI is a lying tyrant,BINAISA was removed by NYERERE after a conflict of opinions during a summit in mwanza-three days before he had relenquished power the late principal secretary Bernard mulokozi had told close associates that binaisa had been summoned to mwanza by nyerere.the aftermath of this meeting binaisa was forced to resign-this is the stark reality for when i heard that he was about to resign,i dismissed this as pep talk,but days later it really happened-there was no way B mulokozi would have said such a thing if there was nograin of truth in it

MUSEVENI is a lying tyrant,BINAISA was removed by NYERERE after a conflict of opinions during a summit in mwanza-three days before he had relenquished power the late principal secretary Bernard mulokozi had told close associates that binaisa had been summoned to mwanza by nyerere.the aftermath of this meeting binaisa was forced to resign-this is the stark reality for when i heard that he was about to resign,i dismissed this as pep talk,but days later it really happened-there was no way B mulokozi would have said such a thing if there was nograin of truth in it

The New Vision did a whole piece on this a few years ago, detailing how Nyerere was critical of Binaisa because Binaisa was so needy. I believe Nyerere supplied Binaisa with soldiers for an interim period but still Binaisa wanted help from Nyerere running his police, Nyerere was infuriated and from there considered Binaisa as unworthy.

If anything Paul Muwanga called the shots and Major General Oyite Ojok did much more to oust Binaisa than Museveni ever did ( he had a bigger private army anyway) while Nyerere looked on with schemes to help his friend return to power. This is especially so because Nyerere, who by convincing Obote to go to Singapore to vote against Margareth Thatcher's vote advocating for the South African apartheid regime to remain in the Commonwealth, was partly responsible for the Amin coup that removed Obote from power. Obote was stupid enough to leave Uganda, with a threat to Amin that Amin should explain the $ 3 m he (Amin) stole from the army, this was more than the invitation Amin needed to go ahead with the coup.

Museveni thinks people have very short memories indeed.

The New Vision did a whole piece on this a few years ago, detailing how Nyerere was critical of Binaisa because Binaisa was so needy. I believe Nyerere supplied Binaisa with soldiers for an interim period but still Binaisa wanted help from Nyerere running his police, Nyerere was infuriated and from there considered Binaisa as unworthy.

If anything Paul Muwanga called the shots and Major General Oyite Ojok did much more to oust Binaisa than Museveni ever did ( he had a bigger private army anyway) while Nyerere looked on with schemes to help his friend return to power. This is especially so because Nyerere, who by convincing Obote to go to Singapore to vote against Margareth Thatcher's vote advocating for the South African apartheid regime to remain in the Commonwealth, was partly responsible for the Amin coup that removed Obote from power. Obote was stupid enough to leave Uganda, with a threat to Amin that Amin should explain the $ 3 m he (Amin) stole from the army, this was more than the invitation Amin needed to go ahead with the coup.

Museveni thinks people have very short memories indeed.

None of your stories are right! you can't know better Uganda's leadership games if you don't know the big 3, Moses, Mwanga and Museven.

These are the key players in Uganda's politics.

None of your stories are right! you can't know better Uganda's leadership games if you don't know the big 3, Moses, Mwanga and Museven.

These are the key players in Uganda's politics.

You are not helping by providing a blanket statement, can you be specific ?

You sound like somebody who cannot articulate him/ her self, why should anybody believe your account and not mine ?

Back
Top Bottom