How to Find Which Application Is Making Sounds in the Background?

Herbalist Dr MziziMkavu

JF-Expert Member
Feb 3, 2009

Every now and then my PC located in the bedroom emanated a sound at random intervals, probably caused by an application playing a short media file. And I noticed it twice when entering the bedroom which I thought was a mere coincidence. But it wasn’t actually! Guess what’s the relevance here?
Control Panels – Sounds was the first place where I checked. It was not the Sound Scheme as it was already set to "No Sounds".
With almost a dozen applications running and I didn’t want to disturb them, I fired up the excellent Process Monitor right away, configured the filters so that any entry with ".wav" in the Path is captured. It may not necessarily be a .wav file, but I had a suspicion that it could be, in this case. So I included ".wav", to start with.
netgear3.png

After leaving it in Capture mode for about 5 minutes, Process Monitor displayed some relevant events.
netgear4.png

WNA1100.exe is the Netgear configuration software that came with my Netgear WNA1100 (Wireless-N 150 USB) Adapter. This software seems to run the ConnectToInternet.WAV file located under the Netgear directory. It’s obvious that the WAV file is played whenever the system / Wi-Fi adapter establishes connection to the internet.
Why the Intermittent Sounds?

The wireless router was located in the first floor of the building, and the signal strength was way too low in the bedroom which is one floor down, and several bends away from the router. The signal strength was fluctuating very often, causing several connect/disconnect sequences within a span of 10 minutes.
netgear1.png

No internet access when the signal strength is at its lowest
netgear2.png

Access: Local and Internet when the signal strength improves.
Later on I noticed that the sound was certainly reproducible whenever the bedroom door was opened…. that’s when the signal strength improved by 2 points.
For now, I simply disabled the audio and pop-up alerts by right-clicking on the Netgear icon in the Notification area, and disabling the option "Enable Internet Connected Notification" via the context menu. I’m now planning to relocate the Wi-Fi router to improve coverage. Otherwise an additional Wi-Fi Router for the ground floor or a Wi-Fi repeater would be in order.
netgear5.png

And if you think what I did was a roundabout way….. believe me it just took 5-7 minutes to track down the source application that caused the sound. Is your PC playing a random audio in the background and that has got you at your wit’s end? This guide can help

What is this! Jamani hii copy paste hii...hata irrelevant materials hakuna filter

What is this! Jamani hii copy paste hii...hata irrelevant materials hakuna filter
Tatizo lako Kiingereza hujuwi ndio maana unasema what is this? Soma hayo maelezo kisha ndio utaweza kupata kujuwa kilichoelezwa hapo juu ni nini? unafikiri tu kusema what is this? ndio kujuwa kiingereza? umesoma shule mpaka darasa la ngapi wewe?

Tatizo lako Kiingereza hujuwi ndio maana unasema what is this? Soma hayo maelezo kisha ndio utaweza kupata kujuwa kilichoelezwa hapo juu ni nini? unafikiri tu kusema what is this? ndio kujuwa kiingereza? umesoma shule mpaka darasa la ngapi wewe?
mpotezee mimi mbona nimeelewa sana tu

Process Monitor v2.96

By Mark Russinovich and Bryce Cogswell
Published: August 16, 2011
ee694644.Download_sm(en-us,MSDN.10).png
Download Process Monitor
(1.26 MB)

Introduction

Process Monitor is an advanced monitoring tool for Windows that shows real-time file system, Registry and process/thread activity. It combines the features of two legacy Sysinternals utilities, Filemon and Regmon, and adds an extensive list of enhancements including rich and non-destructive filtering, comprehensive event properties such session IDs and user names, reliable process information, full thread stacks with integrated symbol support for each operation, simultaneous logging to a file, and much more. Its uniquely powerful features will make Process Monitor a core utility in your system troubleshooting and malware hunting toolkit.

Overview of Process Monitor Capabilities

Process Monitor includes powerful monitoring and filtering capabilities, including:
  • More data captured for operation input and output parameters
  • Non-destructive filters allow you to set filters without losing data
  • Capture of thread stacks for each operation make it possible in many cases to identify the root cause of an operation
  • Reliable capture of process details, including image path, command line, user and session ID
  • Configurable and moveable columns for any event property
  • Filters can be set for any data field, including fields not configured as columns
  • Advanced logging architecture scales to tens of millions of captured events and gigabytes of log data
  • Process tree tool shows relationship of all processes referenced in a trace
  • Native log format preserves all data for loading in a different Process Monitor instance
  • Process tooltip for easy viewing of process image information
  • Detail tooltip allows convenient access to formatted data that doesn't fit in the column
  • Cancellable search
  • Boot time logging of all operations
The best way to become familiar with Process Monitor's features is to read through the help file and then visit each of its menu items and options on a live system.

Screenshots

bb896645.procmon-main(en-us,MSDN.10).gif

bb896645.procmon-proc(en-us,MSDN.10).gif

Download

Download Process Monitor
(1.26 MB)

Run Process Monitor now from Live.Sysinternals.com
Runs on:
  • Client: Windows XP SP2 and higher.
  • Server: Windows Server 2003 SP1 and higher.

haya program yenyewe hii hapa juu kula sasa bonyeza hapa ku download Process Monitor

mpotezee mimi mbona nimeelewa sana tu
Unajuwa watu wengine humu wanajifanya wao kila kitu wanajuwa wakti hawajuwi kitu chochote basi kuuliza sio ujinga. Na hata kama utasema hujuwi ndio bora watu wapate kukufundisha sio kusema ovyo tu, wakati wewe mwenyewe hujuwi kitu.

Back
Top Bottom