How To Be a Truly Tanzanian

Yona F. Maro

R I P
Nov 2, 2006
1. Buy made in Tanzania goods, whenever you can afford to, and whenever they are of comparable quality to foreign goods. Personally, I would advice that we buy quality. No point patronising something that is crap simply because we want to be patriotic. We are no longer in 1960. This is 2010.

2. Try to be part of the solution and not the problem. Too many Tanzanians are guilty of this, why support Fisadis when we all know that it will create problems for the vast majority of us?

3. Support your country and compatriots. Don't be a sell-out. My dad used to tell me that when it is my family involved, I should hold my peace, support my brothers, and then correct them when the outsider has gone. I will stretch the same advice to my fellow Tanzania. We tend to wash our dirty linen in public too much and it makes the world laugh at us.

4. Don't supress your creativity/ideas, you just might be the next Mandela. Too many Tanzanians suffer from a stunning lack of self confidence. We tend to follow what we feel are established routes to success. It is rather difficult to see young people fresh out of school for example, striking out on their own.

5. Love your neighbour as yourself. You never know who will help you out. Need I say more?

6. Do not put all your eggs in one basket.

7. Look at what other countries that are developed are doing right and try to promote it around your environment. You know, we need to copy for example the good parts of American culture, like not trying to extend Fisadis tenure in office, instead of copying the bad parts like Hollywood.

8. Do not be afraid to stand up for what you believe in. Be the Nyerere and Mandela of our generation. To be honest, I think this is the hardest one to follow.

9. Be yourself. Don't let anything or anyone tell you how to live your life (unless you have no other option).

10. What is right isn't always popular and what is popular isn't always right.

Back
Top Bottom