Happy birthday Mama Maria Nyerere

papag

JF-Expert Member
Jul 31, 2009
HAPPY 93rd BIRTHDAY TO MAMA MARIA NYERERE- THE INAUGURAL FIRST LADY OF TANGANYIKA AND TANZANIA !!!

--------------------------------------------------------------

Mzee wa Atikali
0754 744 557

Introduction

Saturday, December 31, 2022, marks the 93rd birth anniversary of Mama Maria Nyerere.

This grand old lady fondly known as "Mama Maria" is the widow of the late Mwalimu Julius Kambarage Nyerere, the founding President of both Tanganyika and the United Republic of Tanzania.

Mama Maria served as the Inaugural First Lady of Tanganyika from December 9, 1962 to April 25, 1964. She also served as the Inaugural First Lady of the United Republic of Tanzania from 1964 to November 5, 1985. While her husband was declared by Chief Petro Itosi Marealle, the Paramount Chief of the Wachaga, as the Father of the Nation on December 9, 1962, Mama Maria was acknowledged as the Mother of the Nation.

Mama Maria, a very wise, strong and devout Catholic, was firmly grounded in her faith by her parents. She stood by her husband during the turbulent times that preceded Tanganyika gaining her independence and after independence and she is the one who calmed Mwalimu Nyerere when the nation was in a time of great stress.

Mama Maria, eversince Mwalimu Nyerere retired as President on November 5, 1985, has been keeping a low profile and does not appear much in public events. Now in the evening of her life, she leads a quiet life in Butiama, Mara region.

Nonetheless, hers is a brand whose star continues to shine 37 years after she left State House.

In view thereof, Mzee wa Atikali has crafted this Special Atikali in her honour.

Birth Date

Maria Waningo Gabriel Magige was born to Gabriel Magige and Hanna Nyashiboha on Tuesday, December 31, 1929 at Baraki village, Tarime in Mara region.

Many official documents, including the Wikipedia, show that Mama Maria was born on December 31, 1930. However, "Mzee wa Atikali" has unearthed a document which reveals that she was, in fact, born on December 31, 1929. This was confirmed telephonically as the correct birthdate of Mama Maria by Hon. Charles Makongoro Nyerere, the Regional Commissioner of Manyara who is Mama Maria's fifth child.

Early Years

Maria was steeped in Catholicism from an early age as Mzee Magige was a Roman Catholic Catechist at Kinesi, Rorya. In fact, her family, from the Simbiti ethnic group, was one of the first in the area to adopt Christianity. Actually, Mzee Magige was one of the first five Simbiti men to be baptised in 1933 in a new mission that the Missionaries of Africa "White Fathers" had established in Butuli, Tarime.

Mzee Magige was monogamous as being a Christian he could not marry another wife.

Education

In 1938, at the age of 9, Maria began reading classes under a tree before continuing school at the White Sisters school at Nyegina.

Her first school offered only 2 primary grades so she moved to ukerewe Island for the next 2 grades. She then moved to Sumve for grades 5 & 6.

When Maria was 15, she was one of the girls chosen to lead classes in the absence of enough teachers as she was bright and disciplined.

Teaching Career

Maria, thereafter, enrolled as a boarding scholar at Sumve Teachers Training college where she obtained a Teaching Certificate.

Armed with that certificate, Maria started teaching at her former school ie Nyegina primary school. She was teaching pupils in Standards I & III. When she began teaching, her monthly salary was ten shillings. However, that salary was later raised to twenty five shillings. Since she was living in the school compound, she had now become a fully independent woman.

How Nyerere Met Maria

A man called Nestory Nyabambe from Nyegina who knew Maria well, was teaching in Kigoma. One day when he was on his annual leave travelling from Kigoma, he decided to make a stop over in Tabora. So, while there, he was directed to go and see Mwalimu Nyerere who was teaching at St Mary's college and they spent the night together. Nestory was very impressed by Mwalimu Nyerere. Upon arriving in Nyegina, he sang Mwalimu Nyerere's praises to Maria's brother who was a quiet and well behaved man. Nestory believed Mwalimu Nyerere, as an educated man and a Christian, would be perfect for Maria. Mwalimu Nyerere himself wanted an educated Christian and those were scarce commodities and in short supply in those days.

Nestory simultaneously urged Mwalimu Nyerere to have a tete a tete with Maria's parents. He believed that Maria's mannerisms and outlook made her the perfect wife of Mwalimu Nyerere. Thereafter, Mwalimu Nyerere went to discuss the matter with Maria 's parents. They instantly liked him. He then met Maria and one thing led to another.

In those days, marriage matches were almost arranged by parents or other relatives. Once it was established that the man or girl were not afflicted by a delabitating disease eg leprosy, the match was set up.

Mwalimu Nyerere Obtains a Scholarship

In 1949, Mwalimu Nyerere obtained a British scholarship to study for an MA in History & Economics at the University of Edinburgh, Scotland.

Maria Gets Engaged to Mwalimu Nyerere

Before Mwalimu Nyerere left Tanganyika for Scotland, he and Maria became engaged at Christmas in 1948. She was now officially his fiancee. She then went to work at Msimbazi Christian center.

Maria Leaves For Uganda

As Mwalimu Nyerere wanted to marry a well educated woman, he sent Maria to Uganda to study domestic science as his Scholarship included provision for the upkeep of his family & fiancee. So, Maria went to Uganda to study.

Mwalimu Leaves for Scotland

In April 1949, Mwalimu left Tanganyika for Edinburgh, Scotland.

Maria Abruptly Returns

As the British authorities failed to remit her fees timely, Maria abruptly left Uganda after two years before completing her course.

Mwalimu Nyerere Returns

Mwalimu successfully completed his studies in July 1952 in Scotland. In October 1952, Mwalimu arrived in Tanganyika.

Maria Ties the Knot

On Wednesday, January 21, 1953, Mwalimu married Maria at the Nyegina mission, Musoma. Father William Collins witnessed their marriage. While Osward Magomba Marwa, Mwalimu's old friend, was his bestman, Bona, Oswald's wife, was the bridesmaid. Bona had been a friend of Maria eversince they were together in primary school in Ukerewe Island.

Mr & Mrs Nyerere Welcome their First Child

Mwalimu Nyerere & Mama Maria's first child, Andrew Burito, made his world debut on October 21, 1953. Andrew was named after Mwalimu Nyerere's best friend, the late Ambassador Andrew Tibandebage while his second name, "Burito", was the name of Mwalimu Nyerere's father.

Andrew's Siblings

After the birth of Andrew, his younger siblings followed in quick succession- six children in just eight years despite the fact that during this time, Mwalimu Nyerere was already in the throes of independence struggle.

Andrew was quickly followed by Anna Watiku who was born on November 14, 1954 at Pugu, Kisarawe District in Coast region. In order to convalesce after she had given birth to Anna, Mama Maria stayed at St. Andrew's college (Minaki) with Mama Patricia Mdachi, the wife of Dismas Mdachi who was Mwalimu Nyerere's ex-classmate at Tabora Boys and Makerere. Mdachi was teaching at St. Andrew's college.

Anna, who was named after Mwalimu Nyerere's grandmother, was followed by Emil Magige who was born in 1956 at Magomeni Mapipa in a community called Maduka Sita, Magige being the name of Mama Maria's father. John Guido was born in 1957 and had the honour of getting his grandfather's name, Nyerere. Charles Makongoro was born on January 30, 1959 and was given that name in remembrance of Chief Makongoro who had died in prison in 1958. Chief Makongoro had been imprisoned for his stance against white rule and his support for TANU. Godfrey Madaraka was born in 1960, the year of our internal self government "Madaraka". The last- born was Rosemary Huria who was born on October 27, 1961. "Huria" means "Uhuru". Mama Maria's children were, thus, born in 1953, 1954, 1956, 1957, 1959, 1960 & 1961.

Mama Maria Opens a Shop

In the mid 1950s, Mwalimu & his family were living at Magomeni Mapipa where they rented a small house. This was after they had stayed in John Rupia's house at Mission Quarter, Kariakoo for one year. This followed Mwalimu Nyerere's abrupt resignation as a teacher at St. Francis Pugu on March 22, 1955. Mama Maria, to make ends meet, opened a small shop in their small house at Magomeni to sell sugar, soaps, salt, cooking oil etc. She believed in living within her means and working hard for everything. She was a rock to Mwalimu Nyerere's family.

In 1959, Mwalimu Nyerere and his family moved to their own house which was built by Mwalimu Nyerere inwhich Makongoro was born.

Mama Maria's Patriotism

Mama Maria, in those days, was a very tough woman. Apart from taking care of her husband, children and close relatives, she also had a heavy burden of cooking for many African visitors, mostly TANU leaders, who came to visit Mwalimu Nyerere on a daily basis. In his position as President of TANU , Mwalimu Nyerere was receiving many visitors and Mama Maria had to cook for them non-stop!. No wonder thus, Mwalimu Nyerere once told Fr. Arthur Wille-

"Any other woman, apart from Maria, would have left me but Maria stayed during this very difficult time".

Mama Maria Refuses the Title of " First Lady" & "Mother of the Nation"

After Tanganyika became a Republic and Mwalimu Nyerere became President on December 9, 1962, Mama Maria was crowned "First Lady". However, she resisted being turned into a First Lady, lamenting-:

"They are referring me to as "First Lady" and "Mother of the nation". Do they think I am Queen Victoria?".

Mwalimu Nyerere, who never liked pomposity during his lifetime, also did not like this title at all. When the media began addressing Mama Maria as "First lady" , he said-:

"Mama Maria is not First Lady, she is Mrs Nyerere".

Mama Maria Sails Uncharted Sea!

Our Constitution provides guidance for the responsibilities of the President. But what about the First Lady? No document exists in Tanzania that explains the duties of the First Lady hence it appears that no one knows her job description!

It is well documented that Tanganyika was one of the first African countries to gain independence. Consequently, there were very few examples in Africa, in those early days of independence, of how first ladies should behave. In view thereof, Mama Maria acted in accordance with the lessons of her upbringing. It wasn't easy at all!.

Mama Maria & the 1964 Army Mutiny

On the night of January 19, 1964, at Calico barracks, the troops of the first battalion of the Tanganyika army mutined.

Mr. Peter Bwimbo, President Nyerere's bodyguard, evacuated him and Vice President Rashid Kawawa at 2 am. He clandestinely took them to Kigamboni where they took refuge in a small house belonging to one Mzee Sultan Kizwezwe, leaving their wives behind, who, thus, had to fend for themselves! Mama Maria narrated what happened (Sunday News, October 15, 2006)-:

" I managed to get out of State House disguised as an ordinary woman in Khangas and a head gear. Soldiers did not recognise me. First, I went to see Sophia Kawawa. She did not know where her husband was. She looked very dejected sitting at the stairs of their house. The soldiers came and asked her rudely; "Where is Kawawa"?. She too answered them in equally harsh voice; "I am the one who should ask you where my husband is. You picked him in the middle of the night and now you come and ask me- where is your husband?. The soldiers left having remarked only that she had typical Ngoni insolance".

"The situation was complicated for us. Both my mother, Hanna Nyashiboa, and Mwalimu's mother, Mgaya Wanyang'ombe, were living with us. My mother had only come to visit. So, before leaving State House, I first made sure that both our parents and children were safe. Then I jumped into Ramadhan Kingu's (then State House Comptroller) Volkswagen beetle and drove around the city to assess for myself the extent of havoc caused by the rampaging soldiers. Soldiers were looting a few open shops but most had closed down. Kingu was very worried as I sat in the front passenger seat. The mutiny lasted only two days".

Mama Maria's Schedule as First Lady

Although the role of the First Lady has not been codified or officially defined, but she figures prominently in the political & social life of her nation. Hope Alex, said, thus, on July 25 , 2016 in her article "The Importance of First Ladies"-:

"The First Lady is one of the closest President's advisers, his best friend and is the one who calms the President when the nation is in a time of great stress".

In the same vein, Zambia's former First Lady, Mrs Esther Lungu, had this to say-:

"I am there to serve my husband so that he can serve the people of Zambia better. In order for him to have a clear mind and ability to go out there to serve the people and be seen to be a responsible President, it starts from our house, and therefore starts with me".

Mama Maria, as First Lady, did not have a formal gruelling daily schedule but she kept herself very busy. She was, from time to time, accompanying Mwalimu Nyerere on both local & foreign trips.

Mama Maria went to Israel for a short course on poultry development which was her passion. She developed a successful poultry farm at Kigamboni to supplement the family income. She also used to raise poultry in the State House gardens.

She started supplying the Kilimanjaro hotel with eggs. However, when Mwalimu Nyerere found out that she was involved in that business and got preference over other suppliers, he ordered a stop to that business! His argument was that the State was looking after his family as part of the conditions of service. He also forbade the use of State House vehicles and other equipment for his family and close friends. Mwalimu Nyerere was a unique creature !.

Mama Maria also started a shamba across the Ferry and sometimes she had to spend nights there with the Makonde families.

Mama Maria Doubles Up as Wife and Housegirl

When the Leadership Code, enacted in 1973, which, inter alia, prohibited employing housegirls, the First Family had to set an example for the rest of the nation. Therefore, Mama Maria had to be an early bird. She used to wake up at 4 am to prepare the children for school. It wasn't easy at all, considering the number of children she had, including one Ms Pauleta Nyabanane who had been adopted by the family. During this time, Mama Maria fully immersed herself into bringing up her children.

Mama Maria made her own clothes

Mama Maria made most of her clothes herself, she seldom bought clothes when she travelled abroad.

"First Children" Raised by Mama Maria

By the time Mwalimu became President of Tanganyika, all the children had been born. Mwalimu Nyerere always had a gruelling schedule hence these children were mostly raised by Mama Maria. But whenever Mwalimu was not fully occupied, especially when they were at Magomeni, he would always help them with their homeworks. He would also help Mama Maria with family chores from time to time.

Mama Maria Attends Samora & Graça Machel's Wedding

On September 7, 1975, President Samora Machel of Mozambique tied the knot with Gŕàça. They had President Nyerere, Mama Maria and Betty Kaunda as witnesses. It was a unique wedding.

Since then, Graca has been one of Maria Maria's best friends.

Mama Maria & Women Leaders Celebrate Tatu Nuru's Appointment as First Female Ambassador

When President Nyerere appointed Tatu Nuru as the First Woman Ambassador, there was jubilation at the State House and Mama Maria was among women leaders who were there dancing when Tatu Nuru was being sworn in. Others in attendance were Mama Sophia Kawawa, Tabitha Siwale, Julie Manning, Anna Abdallah, Lucy Lameck , Thecla Mchauru etc Mwalimu Nyerere jokingly told them ad verbatim-:

"Nyie Wanawake, mnanipigia kelele na ngoma zenu, leo mna matatizo gani? Hivi mmesahau kuwa hapa ni Ikulu?".

Mwalimu Thanks Mama Maria

Immediately after his retirement on November 5, 1985, Mwalimu Nyerere thanked specifically, Mama Maria -:

"I owe Maria much of my success in the service of my people and my country. She has always been an encouraging factor in all aspects of my political life".

Mama Maria's Saddest Moment in State House

What was Mama Maria's saddest moment in State House? Lets hear from the Horse's mouth-:

"There were many sad moments but I think the 1964 army mutiny was the saddest of them all. It was a tremendous shock to us. We felt like our country had been besieged by enemy forces. It was a brief two days of chaos but extremely traumatic. It was a bad experience for us as a family and our country ".

Mama Maria Bids Mwalimu Adieu!

Mwalimu Nyerere was admitted to St. Thomas hospital, London, UK on September 24, 1999 as he was suffering from leukaemia. Mama Maria was with him throughout until when he passed away on Thursday, October 14, 1999. When it was declared that Mwalimu Nyerere had died, Mama Maria went to his side. She uncovered his hand from under the sheet, grasped it between her two hands. She then intertwined a rosary between his fingers as their children prayed and said the rosary. It was, indeed, a sad end .

AU Honours Mama Maria

On January 30, 2018, Mama Maria was honoured as a Female Icon of the African anti-colonial struggle. She was presented with a Special Award at the African Union Heads of State summit in Ethiopia along with mama Miria Obote, the inaugural First Lady of Uganda.

President Museveni of Uganda had this to say about these unique women-:

"These mothers and elder sisters were reliable companions of our elders (Nyerere & Obote) who led the freedom struggle. If you do not have reliable partners, this can affect your struggle".

Mama Maria Devoted Her Career to Her Husband

Mama Maria and other first ladies of their times eg Mama Miria Obote, Mama Betty Kaunda etc devoted their time to the careers of their husbands-which they fully supported. This is not the case in many parts of Africa today. Mama Maria and her colleagues were high up in morals. They gave themselves fully to the welfare of the nation.

A Hostel Named After Mama Maria

In honour of Mama Maria, a hostel located at Buguruni belonging to Mzumbe University has been named after her "Mama Maria Nyerere Hostel".

CONCLUSION

Mama Maria Waningo Gabriel Magige Nyerere was the Inaugural First Lady of Tanganyika and Tanzania. As First Lady, she has won the love of Tanzanians who fondly call her "Mama Maria". Her name stands out prominently in the history of Tanzania.

Mama Maria, who still commands a great deal of respect in the country, is a woman of few words who prefers to stay away from public limelight. The most striking characteristic of Mama Maria is her down-to- earth and simple personality.

She now leads a quiet life in Butiama, Musoma with some of her children and grandchildren and makes rare public appearances, from time to time, whenever she is formally invited.

HAPPY 93rd BIRTHDAY TO YOU, MAMA MARIA WANINGO GABRIEL MAGIGE NYERERE!!!

By Mzee wa Atikali
0754 744 557

HAPPY 93rd BIRTHDAY TO MAMA MARIA NYERERE- THE INAUGURAL FIRST LADY OF TANGANYIKA AND TANZANIA !!!

--------------------------------------------------------------

Mzee wa Atikali
0754 744 557

Introduction

Saturday, December 31, 2022, marks the 93rd birth anniversary of Mama Maria Nyerere.

This grand old lady fondly known as "Mama Maria" is the widow of the late Mwalimu Julius Kambarage Nyerere, the founding President of both Tanganyika and the United Republic of Tanzania.

Mama Maria served as the Inaugural First Lady of Tanganyika from December 9, 1962 to April 25, 1964. She also served as the Inaugural First Lady of the United Republic of Tanzania from 1964 to November 5, 1985. While her husband was declared by Chief Petro Itosi Marealle, the Paramount Chief of the Wachaga, as the Father of the Nation on December 9, 1962, Mama Maria was acknowledged as the Mother of the Nation.

Mama Maria, a very wise, strong and devout Catholic, was firmly grounded in her faith by her parents. She stood by her husband during the turbulent times that preceded Tanganyika gaining her independence and after independence and she is the one who calmed Mwalimu Nyerere when the nation was in a time of great stress.

Mama Maria, eversince Mwalimu Nyerere retired as President on November 5, 1985, has been keeping a low profile and does not appear much in public events. Now in the evening of her life, she leads a quiet life in Butiama, Mara region.

Nonetheless, hers is a brand whose star continues to shine 37 years after she left State House.

In view thereof, Mzee wa Atikali has crafted this Special Atikali in her honour.

Birth Date

Maria Waningo Gabriel Magige was born to Gabriel Magige and Hanna Nyashiboha on Tuesday, December 31, 1929 at Baraki village, Tarime in Mara region.

Many official documents, including the Wikipedia, show that Mama Maria was born on December 31, 1930. However, "Mzee wa Atikali" has unearthed a document which reveals that she was, in fact, born on December 31, 1929. This was confirmed telephonically as the correct birthdate of Mama Maria by Hon. Charles Makongoro Nyerere, the Regional Commissioner of Manyara who is Mama Maria's fifth child.

Early Years

Maria was steeped in Catholicism from an early age as Mzee Magige was a Roman Catholic Catechist at Kinesi, Rorya. In fact, her family, from the Simbiti ethnic group, was one of the first in the area to adopt Christianity. Actually, Mzee Magige was one of the first five Simbiti men to be baptised in 1933 in a new mission that the Missionaries of Africa "White Fathers" had established in Butuli, Tarime.

Mzee Magige was monogamous as being a Christian he could not marry another wife.

Education

In 1938, at the age of 9, Maria began reading classes under a tree before continuing school at the White Sisters school at Nyegina.

Her first school offered only 2 primary grades so she moved to ukerewe Island for the next 2 grades. She then moved to Sumve for grades 5 & 6.

When Maria was 15, she was one of the girls chosen to lead classes in the absence of enough teachers as she was bright and disciplined.

Teaching Career

Maria, thereafter, enrolled as a boarding scholar at Sumve Teachers Training college where she obtained a Teaching Certificate.

Armed with that certificate, Maria started teaching at her former school ie Nyegina primary school. She was teaching pupils in Standards I & III. When she began teaching, her monthly salary was ten shillings. However, that salary was later raised to twenty five shillings. Since she was living in the school compound, she had now become a fully independent woman.

How Nyerere Met Maria

A man called Nestory Nyabambe from Nyegina who knew Maria well, was teaching in Kigoma. One day when he was on his annual leave travelling from Kigoma, he decided to make a stop over in Tabora. So, while there, he was directed to go and see Mwalimu Nyerere who was teaching at St Mary's college and they spent the night together. Nestory was very impressed by Mwalimu Nyerere. Upon arriving in Nyegina, he sang Mwalimu Nyerere's praises to Maria's brother who was a quiet and well behaved man. Nestory believed Mwalimu Nyerere, as an educated man and a Christian, would be perfect for Maria. Mwalimu Nyerere himself wanted an educated Christian and those were scarce commodities and in short supply in those days.

Nestory simultaneously urged Mwalimu Nyerere to have a tete a tete with Maria's parents. He believed that Maria's mannerisms and outlook made her the perfect wife of Mwalimu Nyerere. Thereafter, Mwalimu Nyerere went to discuss the matter with Maria 's parents. They instantly liked him. He then met Maria and one thing led to another.

In those days, marriage matches were almost arranged by parents or other relatives. Once it was established that the man or girl were not afflicted by a delabitating disease eg leprosy, the match was set up.

Mwalimu Nyerere Obtains a Scholarship

In 1949, Mwalimu Nyerere obtained a British scholarship to study for an MA in History & Economics at the University of Edinburgh, Scotland.

Maria Gets Engaged to Mwalimu Nyerere

Before Mwalimu Nyerere left Tanganyika for Scotland, he and Maria became engaged at Christmas in 1948. She was now officially his fiancee. She then went to work at Msimbazi Christian center.

Maria Leaves For Uganda

As Mwalimu Nyerere wanted to marry a well educated woman, he sent Maria to Uganda to study domestic science as his Scholarship included provision for the upkeep of his family & fiancee. So, Maria went to Uganda to study.

Mwalimu Leaves for Scotland

In April 1949, Mwalimu left Tanganyika for Edinburgh, Scotland.

Maria Abruptly Returns

As the British authorities failed to remit her fees timely, Maria abruptly left Uganda after two years before completing her course.

Mwalimu Nyerere Returns

Mwalimu successfully completed his studies in July 1952 in Scotland. In October 1952, Mwalimu arrived in Tanganyika.

Maria Ties the Knot

On Wednesday, January 21, 1953, Mwalimu married Maria at the Nyegina mission, Musoma. Father William Collins witnessed their marriage. While Osward Magomba Marwa, Mwalimu's old friend, was his bestman, Bona, Oswald's wife, was the bridesmaid. Bona had been a friend of Maria eversince they were together in primary school in Ukerewe Island.

Mr & Mrs Nyerere Welcome their First Child

Mwalimu Nyerere & Mama Maria's first child, Andrew Burito, made his world debut on October 21, 1953. Andrew was named after Mwalimu Nyerere's best friend, the late Ambassador Andrew Tibandebage while his second name, "Burito", was the name of Mwalimu Nyerere's father.

Andrew's Siblings

After the birth of Andrew, his younger siblings followed in quick succession- six children in just eight years despite the fact that during this time, Mwalimu Nyerere was already in the throes of independence struggle.

Andrew was quickly followed by Anna Watiku who was born on November 14, 1954 at Pugu, Kisarawe District in Coast region. In order to convalesce after she had given birth to Anna, Mama Maria stayed at St. Andrew's college (Minaki) with Mama Patricia Mdachi, the wife of Dismas Mdachi who was Mwalimu Nyerere's ex-classmate at Tabora Boys and Makerere. Mdachi was teaching at St. Andrew's college.

Anna, who was named after Mwalimu Nyerere's grandmother, was followed by Emil Magige who was born in 1956 at Magomeni Mapipa in a community called Maduka Sita, Magige being the name of Mama Maria's father. John Guido was born in 1957 and had the honour of getting his grandfather's name, Nyerere. Charles Makongoro was born on January 30, 1959 and was given that name in remembrance of Chief Makongoro who had died in prison in 1958. Chief Makongoro had been imprisoned for his stance against white rule and his support for TANU. Godfrey Madaraka was born in 1960, the year of our internal self government "Madaraka". The last- born was Rosemary Huria who was born on October 27, 1961. "Huria" means "Uhuru". Mama Maria's children were, thus, born in 1953, 1954, 1956, 1957, 1959, 1960 & 1961.

Mama Maria Opens a Shop

In the mid 1950s, Mwalimu & his family were living at Magomeni Mapipa where they rented a small house. This was after they had stayed in John Rupia's house at Mission Quarter, Kariakoo for one year. This followed Mwalimu Nyerere's abrupt resignation as a teacher at St. Francis Pugu on March 22, 1955. Mama Maria, to make ends meet, opened a small shop in their small house at Magomeni to sell sugar, soaps, salt, cooking oil etc. She believed in living within her means and working hard for everything. She was a rock to Mwalimu Nyerere's family.

In 1959, Mwalimu Nyerere and his family moved to their own house which was built by Mwalimu Nyerere inwhich Makongoro was born.

Mama Maria's Patriotism

Mama Maria, in those days, was a very tough woman. Apart from taking care of her husband, children and close relatives, she also had a heavy burden of cooking for many African visitors, mostly TANU leaders, who came to visit Mwalimu Nyerere on a daily basis. In his position as President of TANU , Mwalimu Nyerere was receiving many visitors and Mama Maria had to cook for them non-stop!. No wonder thus, Mwalimu Nyerere once told Fr. Arthur Wille-

"Any other woman, apart from Maria, would have left me but Maria stayed during this very difficult time".

Mama Maria Refuses the Title of " First Lady" & "Mother of the Nation"

After Tanganyika became a Republic and Mwalimu Nyerere became President on December 9, 1962, Mama Maria was crowned "First Lady". However, she resisted being turned into a First Lady, lamenting-:

"They are referring me to as "First Lady" and "Mother of the nation". Do they think I am Queen Victoria?".

Mwalimu Nyerere, who never liked pomposity during his lifetime, also did not like this title at all. When the media began addressing Mama Maria as "First lady" , he said-:

"Mama Maria is not First Lady, she is Mrs Nyerere".

Mama Maria Sails Uncharted Sea!

Our Constitution provides guidance for the responsibilities of the President. But what about the First Lady? No document exists in Tanzania that explains the duties of the First Lady hence it appears that no one knows her job description!

It is well documented that Tanganyika was one of the first African countries to gain independence. Consequently, there were very few examples in Africa, in those early days of independence, of how first ladies should behave. In view thereof, Mama Maria acted in accordance with the lessons of her upbringing. It wasn't easy at all!.

Mama Maria & the 1964 Army Mutiny

On the night of January 19, 1964, at Calico barracks, the troops of the first battalion of the Tanganyika army mutined.

Mr. Peter Bwimbo, President Nyerere's bodyguard, evacuated him and Vice President Rashid Kawawa at 2 am. He clandestinely took them to Kigamboni where they took refuge in a small house belonging to one Mzee Sultan Kizwezwe, leaving their wives behind, who, thus, had to fend for themselves! Mama Maria narrated what happened (Sunday News, October 15, 2006)-:

" I managed to get out of State House disguised as an ordinary woman in Khangas and a head gear. Soldiers did not recognise me. First, I went to see Sophia Kawawa. She did not know where her husband was. She looked very dejected sitting at the stairs of their house. The soldiers came and asked her rudely; "Where is Kawawa"?. She too answered them in equally harsh voice; "I am the one who should ask you where my husband is. You picked him in the middle of the night and now you come and ask me- where is your husband?. The soldiers left having remarked only that she had typical Ngoni insolance".

"The situation was complicated for us. Both my mother, Hanna Nyashiboa, and Mwalimu's mother, Mgaya Wanyang'ombe, were living with us. My mother had only come to visit. So, before leaving State House, I first made sure that both our parents and children were safe. Then I jumped into Ramadhan Kingu's (then State House Comptroller) Volkswagen beetle and drove around the city to assess for myself the extent of havoc caused by the rampaging soldiers. Soldiers were looting a few open shops but most had closed down. Kingu was very worried as I sat in the front passenger seat. The mutiny lasted only two days".

Mama Maria's Schedule as First Lady

Although the role of the First Lady has not been codified or officially defined, but she figures prominently in the political & social life of her nation. Hope Alex, said, thus, on July 25 , 2016 in her article "The Importance of First Ladies"-:

"The First Lady is one of the closest President's advisers, his best friend and is the one who calms the President when the nation is in a time of great stress".

In the same vein, Zambia's former First Lady, Mrs Esther Lungu, had this to say-:

"I am there to serve my husband so that he can serve the people of Zambia better. In order for him to have a clear mind and ability to go out there to serve the people and be seen to be a responsible President, it starts from our house, and therefore starts with me".

Mama Maria, as First Lady, did not have a formal gruelling daily schedule but she kept herself very busy. She was, from time to time, accompanying Mwalimu Nyerere on both local & foreign trips.

Mama Maria went to Israel for a short course on poultry development which was her passion. She developed a successful poultry farm at Kigamboni to supplement the family income. She also used to raise poultry in the State House gardens.

She started supplying the Kilimanjaro hotel with eggs. However, when Mwalimu Nyerere found out that she was involved in that business and got preference over other suppliers, he ordered a stop to that business! His argument was that the State was looking after his family as part of the conditions of service. He also forbade the use of State House vehicles and other equipment for his family and close friends. Mwalimu Nyerere was a unique creature !.

Mama Maria also started a shamba across the Ferry and sometimes she had to spend nights there with the Makonde families.

Mama Maria Doubles Up as Wife and Housegirl

When the Leadership Code, enacted in 1973, which, inter alia, prohibited employing housegirls, the First Family had to set an example for the rest of the nation. Therefore, Mama Maria had to be an early bird. She used to wake up at 4 am to prepare the children for school. It wasn't easy at all, considering the number of children she had, including one Ms Pauleta Nyabanane who had been adopted by the family. During this time, Mama Maria fully immersed herself into bringing up her children.

Mama Maria made her own clothes

Mama Maria made most of her clothes herself, she seldom bought clothes when she travelled abroad.

"First Children" Raised by Mama Maria

By the time Mwalimu became President of Tanganyika, all the children had been born. Mwalimu Nyerere always had a gruelling schedule hence these children were mostly raised by Mama Maria. But whenever Mwalimu was not fully occupied, especially when they were at Magomeni, he would always help them with their homeworks. He would also help Mama Maria with family chores from time to time.

Mama Maria Attends Samora & Graça Machel's Wedding

On September 7, 1975, President Samora Machel of Mozambique tied the knot with Gŕàça. They had President Nyerere, Mama Maria and Betty Kaunda as witnesses. It was a unique wedding.

Since then, Graca has been one of Maria Maria's best friends.

Mama Maria & Women Leaders Celebrate Tatu Nuru's Appointment as First Female Ambassador

When President Nyerere appointed Tatu Nuru as the First Woman Ambassador, there was jubilation at the State House and Mama Maria was among women leaders who were there dancing when Tatu Nuru was being sworn in. Others in attendance were Mama Sophia Kawawa, Tabitha Siwale, Julie Manning, Anna Abdallah, Lucy Lameck , Thecla Mchauru etc Mwalimu Nyerere jokingly told them ad verbatim-:

"Nyie Wanawake, mnanipigia kelele na ngoma zenu, leo mna matatizo gani? Hivi mmesahau kuwa hapa ni Ikulu?".

Mwalimu Thanks Mama Maria

Immediately after his retirement on November 5, 1985, Mwalimu Nyerere thanked specifically, Mama Maria -:

"I owe Maria much of my success in the service of my people and my country. She has always been an encouraging factor in all aspects of my political life".

Mama Maria's Saddest Moment in State House

What was Mama Maria's saddest moment in State House? Lets hear from the Horse's mouth-:

"There were many sad moments but I think the 1964 army mutiny was the saddest of them all. It was a tremendous shock to us. We felt like our country had been besieged by enemy forces. It was a brief two days of chaos but extremely traumatic. It was a bad experience for us as a family and our country ".

Mama Maria Bids Mwalimu Adieu!

Mwalimu Nyerere was admitted to St. Thomas hospital, London, UK on September 24, 1999 as he was suffering from leukaemia. Mama Maria was with him throughout until when he passed away on Thursday, October 14, 1999. When it was declared that Mwalimu Nyerere had died, Mama Maria went to his side. She uncovered his hand from under the sheet, grasped it between her two hands. She then intertwined a rosary between his fingers as their children prayed and said the rosary. It was, indeed, a sad end .

AU Honours Mama Maria

On January 30, 2018, Mama Maria was honoured as a Female Icon of the African anti-colonial struggle. She was presented with a Special Award at the African Union Heads of State summit in Ethiopia along with mama Miria Obote, the inaugural First Lady of Uganda.

President Museveni of Uganda had this to say about these unique women-:

"These mothers and elder sisters were reliable companions of our elders (Nyerere & Obote) who led the freedom struggle. If you do not have reliable partners, this can affect your struggle".

Mama Maria Devoted Her Career to Her Husband

Mama Maria and other first ladies of their times eg Mama Miria Obote, Mama Betty Kaunda etc devoted their time to the careers of their husbands-which they fully supported. This is not the case in many parts of Africa today. Mama Maria and her colleagues were high up in morals. They gave themselves fully to the welfare of the nation.

A Hostel Named After Mama Maria

In honour of Mama Maria, a hostel located at Buguruni belonging to Mzumbe University has been named after her "Mama Maria Nyerere Hostel".

CONCLUSION

Mama Maria Waningo Gabriel Magige Nyerere was the Inaugural First Lady of Tanganyika and Tanzania. As First Lady, she has won the love of Tanzanians who fondly call her "Mama Maria". Her name stands out prominently in the history of Tanzania.

Mama Maria, who still commands a great deal of respect in the country, is a woman of few words who prefers to stay away from public limelight. The most striking characteristic of Mama Maria is her down-to- earth and simple personality.

She now leads a quiet life in Butiama, Musoma with some of her children and grandchildren and makes rare public appearances, from time to time, whenever she is formally invited.

HAPPY 93rd BIRTHDAY TO YOU, MAMA MARIA WANINGO GABRIEL MAGIGE NYERERE!!!

By Mzee wa Atikali
0754 744 557
Napenda kuongeza kitu katika historia ya Mama Maria Nyerere.

Katika akina mama wa mwanzo kufahamiana na Mama Maria Nyerere alikuwa Bi. Mwamvua bint Mrisho maarufu kwa jina la Mama Daisy.

Walifahamiana kwa kuwa Mama Daisy alikuwa mke wa Abdul Sykes na kama tujuavyo Mwalimu Nyerere baada ya kuacha kazi ya ualimu alikwenda kuishi nyumbani kwa Abdul Sykes Mtaa wa Stanley na Sikukuu.

Hapa ndipo Mama Maria na Mama Daisy walipounga udugu.

Hii ilikuwa mwaka wa 1955.

Mama Daisy amenihadithia anasema baada ya miaka mingi kupita alikutana na Mama Maria Ukumbi wa Diamond Jubilee Mwalimu alipotoa hotuba kuwaaga Wazee wa Dar es Salaam.

Mama Maria alichukua fursa hii kuonana na akina mama wa Dar-es-Salaam.

Mama Maria na Mama Daisy walikumbatiana kwa mapenzi Mama Maria akaieleza hadhira ile kuwa Mama Daisy na mumewe ndiyo waliowapokea yeye na mumewe Dar es Salaam.

Duka la mafuta ya taa la Mama Maria alilifungua Mtaa wa Mchikichi na Livingstone wakati wanaishi nyumbani kwa Abdul Sykes.

Duka la mafuta ya taa la Magomeni Mapipa Mama Maria alilifungua nyumbani kwa Ali Msham Mtaa wa Jaribu.

Ali Msham alikuwa amefungua tawi la TANU nyumbani kwake na Mwalimu alipohamia Maduka Sita Magomeni ikabidi Mama Maria awe anakwenda Kariakoo kila siku.

Ali Msham ndipo alipotoa nafasi nyumbani kwake duka lihamishiwe hapo ili kumpumzisha Mama Maria na shida ya kuparamia mabasi na watoto asubuhi kwenda Kariakoo.

Duka la mafuta ya taa la Mama Maria la hapo Maduka Sita lilikuja baadae.

Tunamtakia Mama Maria umri tawil na afya njema.

Back
Top Bottom