G20 Meeting in London

Not fair at all unless you give the same warning to people who use perjorative terms to address Indians and Tanzanians of Indian descent. Can we have a little freedom of speech? Geeez

Ng'waninyami,

Check your PM please .

Report any postings that you feel unfair and the mods
will act on it.

Freedom of speech does not mean debasing other races.

Regards.

Dear ONE Member,Kiuyajibu JF

Yesterday’s G20 Summit looks as though it made some real progress for the world’s poorest. Integrated into the leader’s agreement is recognition of the need to address extreme poverty as part of the global recovery. Instinct tells me that some of the vague language will take hard work to clarify, but this morning, as I re-read statements and news from yesterday, I have a sense of hope and cautious optimism.

Highlights include:

Resources: The G20 announced US $50 billion for low-income countries—although we are concerned this includes existing funding—and a further US $100 billion in lending for development banks.

Reform: Developing countries will have some greater representation in the international financial institutions, and election to World Bank/IMF leadership will be based on merit.

Regulation: The G20 announced they would take action to regulate of illicit tax havens.

On top of that, all G20 countries re-affirmed their commitment to the Millennium Development Goals and commitments made at the 2005 Gleneagles G8 Summit.

Coming out of this summit, we need to work to ensure that money going to developing countries is given as grants, not loans that trigger another debt crisis. Also, much more needs to be done on the green agenda in the interests of developing countries at the UN Climate Change Conference in Copenhagen later this year.

But before we do, I want to thank you for your part in helping make this happen. Together, in the last few months, we’ve succeeded in encouraging Gordon Brown to invite the African Union to the G20, which sources say made a big difference in the final discussions. We also helped encourage President Obama to show global leadership on poverty. He remarked yesterday: “We are protecting those who don’t always have a voice at the G-20, but who have suffered greatly in this crisis. The United States is ready to lead in this endeavor.”

These are important achievements. I hope you are feeling the same sense of progress as I am, and are encouraged to continue this fight.

I can’t thank you enough,

Roxane Philson, ONE.org

P.S. To share your thoughts on the G20, get more detail on what they are doing for developing countries, and coverage from inside the G20, visit the ONE Blog:

The financial pledges to African nations will just end up in some potentate's Swiss bank account. I don't see anything to be gained by majority of Africans.

The financial pledges to African nations will just end up in some potentate's Swiss bank account. I don't see anything to be gained by majority of Africans.

The Whole Truth and Nothing But the Truth,
So Help Me God!

The question is did the G20 leaders do anything for developing countries?

They did, and more than was expected. Gordon Brown and his officials made rescuing developing countries central to the summit, and it turned out to be the main focus for discussion. The leaders agreed to make $50bn available for the poorest countries, through increasing the money the IMF can lend and providing finance to get trade growing again.

Will this help poor people?

That's much less clear. It could stave off utter disaster, but is likely still do little to improve their lives.And it could make things worse for them, the IMF has a history of deepening the plight of the poor by imposing degrading policies in return for funds.

Nimekuwa nikifuatilia positive impact ya hii G.20 kwa Africa bado nina mashaka kuwa Afrika inafanywa kama mtoto akilia, mpe peremende.
Miongoni mwa vilio vikubwa vya umasikini wa Afrika ni nchi nyingi kutegemea kilimo kama nyuti za migongo za chumi zake. Kwa sasa bei za mazao zimeshuka sana katika soko la dunia, wazungu wenyewe wanaendeleza kutoa ruzuku kwa wakulima wao halafu wanatuambia sisi waafrika tuwe huru katika kupeleka mazao yetu tax free na quota free kushindana na mkulima wa ulaya kwenye soko la dunia. Huu ni mtindo wa kumshawishi panzi ashindane na kunguru, atakaye choka, aliwe.

Huo msaada wa dola bilioni 50 ni peremende ili tuendelee kulala na wao waendelee kutunyonya maana kile kipengele cha kuondoa proctenism mechanism wametuzuga zunga huku mkulima mzungu akilindwa dhidi ya mkulima wa Afrika na mkulima wa Tanzania na jembelake la mkono, ni kusubiri tuu limpindishe mgongo na kumrudisha kaburini.

Wakati wao wanastimulus packege, kwa Afrika ni nil!.
Kwa maoni yangu, safari bado ni ndefu.

Back
Top Bottom