Elections 2010 Beyond Kikwete: Will the slighted Slaa be the star of the succession script?

English grammar and structure aside, General Ulimwengu intended to deliver a message on the need for an independent candidate. He reminds us of the right to vote and be voted without being forced into political parties. I only wonder he avoided to comment on the ruling by the Appeal Court of Tanzania on the same..., which opened the darkest page in the history of our country. Between the lines, the conclusion is, perhaps CHADEMA wouldnt be this strong had there been freedom to stand in elections as independent candidate. That is the message I got from the article. Now, whether vocabularies were many it should not concern us. If I were Muchunguzi, I would have capitalized on this opportunity to improve my vocabulary.

Kula kumi mkuu, yani watu wanataka kunifanya nijisikie najua sana bila sababu kumbe watu wengi tu wananyaka mavitu. I should hate to be in the minority here, another minority at that.

Nafikiri Ulimwengu kaacha kuidiscuss ile ruling kwa sababu iko a bit technical na sheria si haki, Mark Twain alisema "The law is an a.s.s". Law does not mean justice, hili mbona hata Nyerere alilisema katika hotuba yake ya Mei Mosi1995 pale Mbeya ? Ametumia first principles in place of a lengthy technical argument ( who can blame him for that, wakati watu kama kina Mchunguzi wanaona hata hii summary ni overly highfllutin'), kaiambia serikali iko wrong kukataa kuwapa watu haki ya kuchaguliwa kwa kuwa hawana vyama, tena kasema serikali imefanya hivyo bila hata kutoa maelezo. Mahakama ilishajitoa katika hili na kuirudishia serikali kwa kigezo kwamba ni suala la kisiasa zaidi, mahakama kazi yake ni kutafsiri sheria na katiba, si kubadilisha katiba, kwa hiyo kama katiba inabidi ibadilishwe kwa sababu inawanyima watu uhuru basi hilo ni suala la kisiasa ambalo mahala pake ni bungeni/ serikalini.

Hii verdict aliitabiri Nostradamus wetu wa mambo ya sheria, Kuhani (Kuhani katabiri na kupatia, how appropriate) hata kabla ya mahakama kutoa hukumu.

I partly understand the court's ruling in Tanzania - at least high courts- ziatoa rulings zinazo make legal sense, not always zinazotoa justice though, but as I said before, the law and justice are two different things. nd unless you have an activist judge or a couple of them who will say "fvck the law, I am ruling for justice" and slap some legalese (they can alway justify anything with the gift of gab) you wnt see anything change on that end.

Ndiyo maana ulimwengu kakazania kuishutumu serikali, kwa sababu ukienda katika strict legal grounds mahakama imefanya ilichotakiwa.
(

In a three-horse race involving incumbent Jakaya Kikwete, CUF’s Ibrahim Lipumba and Wilbrod Slaa, only Slaa — currently a menace to CCM in parliament — seems to have a future, so to speak.

Conclusion not supported ..

....Otherwise change your English and drop that less than globish galore gibberish garbage of gargantuan galons of gigabytes of goddamned gobbledygook and golden gaffes gagged to your guts.

Safi sana!
So, Shibuda has followers in the making of poetic write-up.

Safi sana!
So, Shibuda has followers in the making of poetic write-up.

Poetic write up?

Trust me

You wouldn't know a verse if it stared you in the face
You are no ace, prolly a waste of space
Couldn't say a rhyme if it was under your mouth
You uncouth cough wouldn't know what I'm about
Could see a stanza like Kwanza
From here to Nyamagana Mwanza
Couldn't expose and espouse if it was sleeping with you like your spouse

I decided to give you a taste of your own medicine.

Poetic write up?

Trust me

You wouldn't know a verse if it stared you in the face
You are no ace, prolly a waste of space
Couldn't say a rhyme if it was under your mouth
You uncouth cough wouldn't know what I'm about
Could see a stanza like Kwanza
From here to Nyamagana Mwanza
Couldn't expose and espouse if it was sleeping with you like your spouse

I decided to give you a taste of your own medicine.

And believe me

You just dont know jama
The way I enjoy hii drama
And if you think you know sana
Generali mwenyewe amekula kona!

1. I appreciate the contemplative way in which Ulimwengu presented his article. Usually in this style reader needs some patience and read contemplatively, creatively and not merely, just rushing for superficial in formations. Some meanings and substances can’t be condensed on superficial ways; they need to be deepened in contemplative writings. In such articles you can read and re read and each time going deeper on getting a lot of valuable meaning ... Sometimes you cant avoid writing in this way just for its beauty and also serve time and space!

2. The impact of Dr Slaa for the time being is timely, awakening and very constructive!

3. I have seen lots of good Leaders in power! I have seen bad ones. I have wished good ones stayed longer ... But I am of the conclusion ... LET CONSTITUTIONAL REFORMATION BE THE DRIVING FORCE FOR ANY MEANINGFUL AND PERMANENT CHANGES!

My entire life, I have never belived in Greek gods till this year.. this is because of their favourate phrase that say "theee gods have no favor in you" . Well I sincirely pity the ruling party specificly because they do not have any favor from the gods and worse not from the people. This is evident in the times when the ruling party leaders try to give explainations of their actions to the public whereby all come in vain. explainations such as that of TUCTA, CCM MINOR ELECTIONS, CORRUPTION ACTIVITIES, etc.

Funny is that for the first time in 33 years, CCM openly displays fear. fear of evident defeat. It is rediculous to charge such allegations to Chadema- early campaigning.

Back to the main point of the topic. Slaa has proved to be the man that Tanzania has been waiting for quite a long time. He has proven that he can win, liberate and deliver those promises that CCM can not. The last triump is the throne.:confused2:

Jamani kiingereza kigumu hata kwa wazamifu.

Ulimwengu hakusema Slaa ni mtu mdogo, amesema kwamba Slaa alidharauliwa na CCM mwaka 1995 aliposhinda kura za maoni za CCM lakini CCM haikumchagua kuwa mgombea ubunge, akahamia CHADEMA na kushinda.

Kama unaelewa anachosema Ulimwengu utaona kwamba"the slighted Slaa" maana yake ni "Slaa aliyedharauliwa" na wala si "Slaa mdogo" kama unavyodhani katika analogy yako ya David and Goliath ulivyoiandika.

Kwa hiyo "Beyond Kikwete: Will the slighted Slaa be the star of the succession script?" Maana yake " Nje ya Kikwete: Slaa aliyedharauliwa atakuwa nyota wa juzuu la urithi ?"

Ukisoma article utaona Ulimwengu anamsifu sana Slaa, kwamba kashinda ubunge baada ya kuhama chama hata baada ya kina Mkapa kum kampeinia mpinzani wake, na kuwaponda sana CCM kwa kukataa private candidates na kufanya upendeleo uliomfitini Slaa na kusababisha ahame chama.

Not to be conceited or anything
Neither prince nor a king
But sometimes I get the feeling I should charge a fee, gee
You the payer player, and I am the payee
But JF is for free,
So I spree pee on your tee and tea with wee wee, then flee like a bee.
Adios y'all.

I second it! It's pure fun. Now do you think Tanzanians need good English or keep their 'cracked' english and stick to their musical Kiswahili? There seem to be schools of thought on this! Do you write for living? Are you in Tanzania? Judging from my experience, you seem to be one of the rare in this country. English is a nemesis to many of us, to say the least. But do we need it afterall?

1. I appreciate the contemplative way in which Ulimwengu presented his article. Usually in this style reader needs some patience and read contemplatively, creatively and not merely, just rushing for superficial in formations. Some meanings and substances can't be condensed on superficial ways; they need to be deepened in contemplative writings. In such articles you can read and re read and each time going deeper on getting a lot of valuable meaning ... Sometimes you cant avoid writing in this way just for its beauty and also serve time and space!

2. The impact of Dr Slaa for the time being is timely, awakening and very constructive!

3. I have seen lots of good Leaders in power! I have seen bad ones. I have wished good ones stayed longer ... But I am of the conclusion ... LET CONSTITUTIONAL REFORMATION BE THE DRIVING FORCE FOR ANY MEANINGFUL AND PERMANENT CHANGES!

And he's promised that in 4 months if elected.

This is the same reason that Mkapa, that ever low key first rate journalist and policy wonk, that scrupulous Higher Education Minister who used to return a portion of his Ministry's budget that was not used, that intellectual interested in ideals and not money, before he got absolute power in Tanzania, and after he achieved the ultimate power and with no Nyerere to look over his shoulder, he was using the State House to benefit personally, an abomination to a Nyerereist. Power had gone to their heads. So you have no way of knowing who is "the right person" until that person is in power, and even then, they can change anyday. To remove any doubt about this, to remove any second guessing or fallible estimates, learned people the world over put trust in the rule of law, not in individuals.

That's the right path bro. Now how do we do it, given the present state of affairs?

Ni ugonjwa usiotibika.
Nikisoma analyses zako naona kama umekuwa devil’s advocate?

Ni vibaya kuandika au kuzungumza English ya kitanzania kweli? Hakuna varieties za English ktk dunia hii? British English, American English, Jamaican na hata pidgin english. What do these mean?

Hakuna haja ya kujilazimisha kuwa American wakati wewe ni m-tz

Binafsi iwe English au Kiswahili ukishatumia maneno ambayo ni uncommon nitakuona huelewi lengo la uandishi wako. Baadhi watakusifu lugha unaifahamau lakini ukweli ni ule ule kwamba ni uandishi wa kujifanya au kuigiza.

Hata Hotuba za bajeti ktk Bunge letu zitolewazo kwa Kiswahili, ziliwahi kuwa za aina hiyo. Lakini mambo yamerekebishwa sasa iweje wewe hutaki! Au ktk gazeti eti tuseme lugha anaifahamu. Is that the intention of calling himself a columnist.

Imetosha maana hukawii kutumia neno ’stupid.’

Mkuu kubali yaishe.What Ulimwengu wrote is understandable. nothing uncommom here.We have to discuss the content not the use of the language.

I second it! It's pure fun. Now do you think Tanzanians need good English or keep their 'cracked' english and stick to their musical Kiswahili? There seem to be schools of thought on this! Do you write for living? Are you in Tanzania? Judging from my experience, you seem to be one of the rare in this country. English is a nemesis to many of us, to say the least. But do we need it afterall?

Mazee,

I don't write for a living (should I ?) and I was this sick even before leaving bongo (flattering myself ?) . Enough about me.

Kuhusu "cracked/ improved English" vs "Musical Swahili", kina Gaijin watakwambia hata Kiswahili chetu kinakuwa cha ajabu ajabu siku hizi.Mtunzi gani mahiri kabisa wa Kiswahili tunaye sasa hivi wa enzi hizi ? Wewe hata ukisoma hapa JF utaona vituko vingi tu.

Niliandika kuhusu challenge ya kwamba Kiingereza na Kiswahili vinashindana, na kimoja hakiwezi kushinda na kueleweka bora zaidi bila kingine kushindwa na kuharibika (soma hapa)

Wachumi wana kitu kinaitwa "point of diminishing returns", naipenda sana hii concept na huwa nataka kuitumia sana katika maisha, after all maisha yote tunaishi tukifanya choices na popte pale unapofanya choice una apply uchumi.

Kwa mnaoifahamu Point of Diminishing Returns mtaniwia radhi kujitia ukufunzi, lakini nachelea kuambiwa natumia technical terms bila kuzi define. Kwa elimu yangu ya uchumi inayoota kutu, Point of diminishing return (PDR) ni ile point ambayo baada ya hapo, ukiongeza juhudi katika kitu (investment, labor etc) juhudi hizi hazifuatiwi na matunda yanayoendana na juhudi hizi. Mathalani unaweza kuwa investor, mwanzo wa curve kila shilingi moja ya investment inakupa faida ya shilingi ishirini, utafika level faida itashuka mpaka shilingi kumi -lakini bado ni deal zuri kwa sababu shilingi moja kuzaa kumi ni deal zuri- itashuka mpaka utafika level shilingi moja itazaa shilingi moja, unarudisha faida sawa na kile ulichoweka, kama curve itaendelea kushuka, hii point ambayo ukiweka shilingi moja inarudi shilingi moja ndiyo inaitwa point of diminishing returns, kwamba ukiongeza investment haikuongezei faida, sana sana itakuacha ku break even tu kama si kukutia hasara kwa overheads.

Sasa kwa nini naongelea mambo ya uchumi kwenye mjadala wa lugha? Swala linahusu choice, na kama nilivyosema mwanzo, maswala yote yanayohusu choice kimsingi ni ya kiuchumi.

Probably kwa University graduates kujifunza kiingereza ni worthwhile, wanategemewa kufanya kazi katika mazingira ambayo mara nyingi yanaweza kuwa ya kimataifa.In any case hawa ndio wasomi wetu sasa wasipojua Kiingereza na hii ni moja ya lugha rasmi, na lugha yenye nguvu sana duniani tunaweza kushindwa mengi.

Watu kama tour guides na wafanyabiashara wengine wanaohusiana na wageni ningewategemea kujua si tu Kiingereza, bali hata sehemu ya kila kiingereza kinachoita "passable" au "cha kuombea maji" kama wanavyosema watoto wa mjini, ya lugha nyingine kama kifaransa kiarabu etc, kutegemea na matakwa ya kazi zao.

Lakini muuza nazi wa soko ambalo 99% ya wateja wanasema Kiswahili sioni umuhimu wa kujifunza Kiingereza kwa sana, unless anataka kujiendeleza mwenyewe tu, kitu ambacho kinaweza ku prove kuwa investment iliyo past "point of diminishing return" kwa maana ya kwamba anaweza asikihitaji. Muuza nazi huyu anaweza kufaidika zaidi na kujifunza Kindengereko ili kusudi akienda kufuata nazi zake Msanga-Kisiju akikutana na Wandengereko huko Rufiji asishindwe kuongea nao intimately.

Kwa hiyo inategemea unaongelea watu gani, kuna watu nawategemea kujua Kiingereza, waandishi wa habari, watu wote wenye ajira za vyeo vya juu serikalini, watu wa academia, wanafunzi wa vyuo vikuu.

We do not want to be isolationists based on empty cultural pride, it will cost us dearly. We also do not want to be imitation westerners and learn English with no purpoe, even if it will not serve us in our daily lives.

Back
Top Bottom