Angola: Seven killed in brutal land evictions Seven people including four children between four and 12-years-old have been killed in the latest wave of brutal and forced evictions in Angola. The evictions took place earlier this month when riot police swept through a provincial capital, Lubango. Angolan national television has confirmed that some 3,800 families were driven from their homes which were then demolished. It is alleged that the eviction orders came from the Angolan government. Such evictions have become a regular occurrence in recent years in the capital, Luanda , major cities such as Benguela and rural communities in many provinces. Many houses have been demolished and many people evicted from their land in Angola because they are often in areas very rich in mineral resources or where there are strong economic interests, said Christian Aids Angola programme officer, Ana Menezes. Menezes added: This is a major humanitarian emergency caused by a human rights violation. Sadly, this is not an isolated case. This is part of a long-term pattern of violent, illegal land evictions and house demolitions. According to Christian Aids local Angolan partners, SOS Habitat and childrens rights lobby group OMUNGA, riot police quickly surround the area to be demolished, and then the bulldozers move in. People in the Tchavola locality in Lubango are now sheltering in school precincts or have been forcibly taken to areas with an insufficient number of tents, in heavy rain. Some have been robbed by bandits at night due to the lack of protection and police supervision, said José Patrocínio of OMUNGA. Patrocínio added, We the State of Angola to cease immediately the demolitions,call on create a commission to evaluate alleged human rights abuses, and develop adequate compensation mechanisms for the people who have lost their homes and livelihoods. OMUNGA is planning a demonstration march in Benguela this coming Thursday on March 25 in solidarity with the victims of this and other evictions and demolitions.