5 of the Most Expensive Apple Products Ever

Makanyaga

JF-Expert Member
Sep 28, 2007
5 of the Most Expensive Apple Products Ever

CNNMoney.com – Tue, Sep 4, 2012 2:30 PM EDT

Think the iPad is pricy? Check out these expensive Apple products, mementos and tributes that fetched way more than any iGizmo on the market today.

1. Founding documents: $1.6 million
1steves-png_185115.png
Photo: Justin Sullivan/Getty Images​

The legal document that started the most valuable company is apparently worth as much as 8,000 iPhones. That's how much auction house Sotheby's sold Apple's founding documents for in December.

Signed by co-founders Steve Jobs, Steve Wozniak and Ron Wayne on April 1, 1976, the three-page agreement set up the foundation for the Apple Computer Co. (AAPL), giving Jobs and Wozniak each 45% of the company and Wayne the remaining 10%. Just 11 days later, Wayne withdrew and forfeited the ownership.

Bidding for the papers began at $70,000 and was estimated to go for $100,000 to $150,000. The final price fetched more than 10 times that, when Eduardo Cisneros, a media and entertainment mogul, submitted the winning bid.

2. Apple I computer: $374,500

2-gallery-auctions-apple-1-large-gallery-horizontal-png_185114.png
Courtesy: Sotheby's​

The first brainchild of Jobs and Wozniak originally sold for $666.66. Yet if you're an owner of one of the 200 Apple I computers today, it can fetch more than 500 times that price.

In an auction run by Christie's in November 2010, an Apple I was sold for more than $212,000. The item also included a signed letter from Jobs himself. The auction house announced last week that it would put another Apple I up for bids, with the expectation that it could fetch as much as $126,500.

Neither of those come close to the $374,500 winning bid for a working Apple I at a Sotheby's auction in June. That device went for more than twice the $180,000 the auction house expected.

3. Silk screened logo by Andy Warhol: $26,000

3-gallery-auctions-apple-warhol-large-gallery-horizontal-png_185114.png
Courtesy: O'Gallerie Auction House​

Getting your hands on just about any Warhol would be a pricey endeavor, but one with Apple's logo? Well, that'll cost you $26,000.

The silk screen artwork was commissioned by former Apple executive Del Yocam, according to O'Gallerie, which sold the piece. The 1985 print, complete with Warhol's signature in the corner, was auctioned off in May 2009.

4. First trade sign: $18,000

4-gallery-auctions-apple-signage-large-gallery-horizontal-png_185114.png
Photo: Alexander Autographs/www.historyauctioneer.com​

This wood-framed, Plexiglas sign was auctioned off for $18,000, but it was literally thrown in the garbage three decades ago.

It was Apple's first trade sign, which the company hung up at trade shows when it was showing off its computers, beginning with the Apple I in 1976. Eventually, the eight-foot, four-inch long sign was placed in front of the company's Cupertino, Calif., headquarters.

Steve Jobs ordered a replacement, though, and threw the old one in a dumpster. Thomas Liggett, Jr., Apple's employee No. 114, rescued the sign and kept it in his house until he sold it in 2008.

5. Steve Wozniak's toolbox: $7,000

5gallery-auctions-apple-toolbox-large-gallery-horizontal-png_185114.png
Photo: Alexander Autographs/www.historyauctioneer.com​

This simple toolbox may be heavily used, but it'll cost you way more than a brand new one. That's because of its famous owner: It had belonged to Wozniak (his name is on the yellow label).

All of Apple's engineers in the 1970s were given these blue tool boxes, but when Woz stopped using his, he left it lying around the company's headquarters. Liggett, who became quite a collector of early Apple mementos, asked Woz if he could have the box.

Auctioned off in 2009 for $7,000, the banged-up metal tool box fetched $2,000 more than what it was expected to.

Source: 5 of the Most Expensive Apple Products Ever - Yahoo! Finance

Back
Top Bottom