Tanzania: Vyeti bandia, elimu za kununua na watumishi vihiyo

FD,

Hapo Mzumbe Uni kwa "Dr" Kamala mbona hizo bogus Phds ndio HQ. Kuanzia VC na baadhi ya senior members of academic staff wamekula doctoraat kutoka Pacific Western University (PWU) kama wamesimama! If I'm not mistaken, baraza la ithibati halikitambui hiki chuo. How comes leo watu ambao wana digrii feki wanaruhusiwa kufundisha manpower ya taifa? I find this absolutely ridiculous! Katika kupitia prospectus ya mzumbe http://www.mzumbe.ac.tz/propectus.htm, walimu wenye digrii from PWU na commonwealth open university ni hawa wafuatao:

Associate Professors
1. Moses M.D. Warioba DPA (IDM), Dip. Publ. Sect. Mgt (Aston), MBIM- (London), M.Sc. Publ. Sec. Mgt (Birmingham), Ph.D. (Public Admin.) PWU, (USA) NB: Huyu ndio Vice Chancellor!

2. Leonard .J. Shio B.A (Ed) Hons. (UDSM.), M.A. (Econ. Dev.) (UDSM), Ph.D(Management) PWU, (USA)

3. M.N. Chao B.A (Ed.) Hons. (UDSM), M.A. (Dev. Studies) (UDSM), Ph. D. (PWU), USA

Senior Lecturers
1. Raphael J.M. Habi ADPA (IDM), M.Sc.(Pers. Mgt) (Aston) (UK), MIPM (U.K.), Dip. T. & D. (Manchester) (UK), Ph.D(Management) PWU, (USA)

2. Christopher M. Sotta DPA (IDM), PG.D.(Gen.Mgt.)(IDM), MPA (IDM), Ph.D (Public Admin) PWU, U.S.A.

3. Aristarch K. Kiwango B.A. (Soc. Econ Admin) Makerere, M.Sc. (Econ.) Wales, Ph.D. (Econ.) PWU, (USA) PGD. (Project Planning)ISS,The Hague, PGD. (Pop & Dev Plan) ISS, The Hague

4. Colman Riwa B.A. (Education) (UDSM), PGD (Tesol) London, M.A. (Public Policy and Admin.) ISS, The Hague, Ph.D. (Public Administration) PWU, USA. (On leave of absence)

Lecturers
1. Diodorus Kamala Adv. Dip (Econ. Planning), (IDM), M.Sc. (Organization Syts), Linconshire Humberside,(UK), M.Sc. (Agric Development and Rural Finance) Bradford, (UK), Ph.D Commonwealth Open University (On Leave of Absence)

2. Prosper H. Ngowi Adv. Dip (Econ. Planning) (IDM), Norwegian Language and Civilization (Telemark University College, Norway, MBA (Project Mgt) Agder University College, Norway Ph.D Econ. (Norwegian School), Econ and Business Administratin(Commonwealth Open University)

Waziri wa MSTHE lipigwa mkwara wakati anapokea ofisi lakini mpaka sasa mbona kimya? http://www.kikweteshein.com/tanzania/articles/51/1/Wenye-digrii-feki-kukiona---Msolla

Duh!

No wonder chuo chenyewe kinachukua "makapi" ya University of Dar es salaam!

Kama ni hivyo basi hicho si chuo kikuu, bali chenyewe nacho ni chuo cha kufyatulia ma degree!!

Tunakwisha

FD

Jamani kutoka Udasa.....

Sunday News;
Sunday, September 10, 2006

THIS article is motivated by another that appeared in one of the national dailies which made positive reference to a doctoral degree from Commonwealth Open University earned by one vocal Member of Parliament.

What really bothered me was the reference to the degree in question as a genuine doctoral degree.

Clearly, the author did not do his homework because the verdict was wrong. The Commonwealth Open University is not an accredited degree awarding institution by any Commonwealth or US accrediting
bodies. It is therefore a degree mill or factory. This short response attempts to put across an informed view of the operations of the many Degree and Diploma Mills, for the benefit of your readers.

But to put the subject into its proper perspective, the following is one of the many spam emails that I have saved in my Inbox. I have kept this one because it illustrates succinctly and in very clear terms the extreme nature of the fake academic qualifications that are easily available from the Internet.

Hi Assad!!!

A Genuine University Degree in 4-6 weeks!

Have you ever thought that the only thing stopping you from a great job and better pay was a few letters behind your name? Well now you can get them!

BA BSc MA MSc MBA PhD
Within 4-6 weeks!
No Study Required!
No books to buy, no classes to go to, and no entrance exams.
100% Verifiable!
These are real, genuine degrees that include Bachelors, Masters, MBA and Doctorate Degrees. They are fully verifiable and certified transcripts are
also available.
Just call the number below.
You'll thank me later?
Begin Whenever +1 (831) 3O2 66 63
Operators Live 24 hours
As an old adage reminds us 'If it sounds too good to be true then it most probably isn't', so how do sensible people get involved in fake degrees? It is a question I have struggled with for sometime but can only point to two things -- laziness and greed.

Bogus Degrees - A Definition

A bogus diploma or degree is a diploma, degree, transcript, or other academic record that creates a false impression that the holder has an academic qualification. In reality the holder has little or no academic achievement commensurate with the claim. It is in very simple terms a fraud.

An organization or individual producing and selling such diplomas, degrees, transcripts, or other academic records is commonly known as a Degree Mill. The word 'mill' derived from a factory operation where one can instantly produce a product. At the lower end a degree mill is just a place where you can get a customized diploma printed at a flat fee.

What kind of people buy bogus degrees?
Bogus degrees are attractive and therefore an easy option for people whose academic background is not commensurate with what they seek to be in the public eye or simply in life. They need specific credentials
or a specific level of credentials to be competitive at the workplace, in politics or purely for status but they do not have the capacity to attain a genuine qualification. Such people do not want to devote the required mental and physical effort.

Why Bogus Degree Claims Concern us all
Firstly, bogus degrees are a big problem to us because at a national level as well as within institutions there is no capacity (and perhaps the will) to identify and stamp out culprits. They therefore are able to present bogus degrees in government and other public offices (including the Parliament) and obtain the rewards and benefits that are accorded to genuine degree holders. In the public sector it is taxpayers' money that rewards these bogus degrees. The Government therefore has a duty to stop this fraud and book those who are responsible.

The public is eventually the ultimate victim -- the public expects to be protected against this fraud by the accrediting, licensing or certification of academic and professional qualifications. As things stand now, this is not effectively done.

The trouble is, when you have people in oversight positions themselves having bogus degrees then who will catch the fraudsters? When you have a Vice-Chancellor with a bogus doctoral degree, all subordinates follow suit and the entire University then becomes a fraud. You have an executive of a watchdog institution perpetrating a degree mill fraud, so who will prevent the fraud? This is expensive for the nation. Its correction needs to start with the big guns then the little jokers will run for cover. The existing free-for-all fraud-friendly environment reminds me of the saying that 'When the wind blows even turkeys fly'. Now too many turkeys are in the air.

Secondly, bogus degree holders do not have the appropriate academic qualifications, skills and competencies to hold them up as qualified persons.

When they present themselves to the public, the majority of the people may not be able to separate the bogus from the genuine holders of academic qualifications.

How do you tell a bogus degree from the genuine article?

Bear and Bear (1999) suggest that for an institution of higher learning to possess globally 'recognised' accreditation, it must meet at least one of the following criteria:

• The institution must have been evaluated by British Royal Charter and an Act of Parliament has been passed to enact the university's operation;
  • Accredited by an agency recognized by the US Department of Education;
  • Accredited by an agency recognized by CHEA (Council on Higher Education Accreditation) Washington, US;
The institution is listed in one or more of the following publications:
  • The International Handbook of Universities (a UNESCO publication);
  • The Commonwealth Universities Yearbook;
  • The World Education Series, published by PIER(Projects in International Education Research), a joint venture of AACRAO (the American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers) and NAFSA (the Association of International Educators) with the participation of the College Board;
The Countries Series (published by NOOSR, National Office for Overseas Skills Recognition, Australia)

If the university granting the degree in question does not meet any of the above criteria then watch out, you are potentially dealing with a degree mill. The Federal Trade Commission in the US, an agency that protects consumers interests lists the tell tell signs of a degree mill which include the following:

No Studies, No Exams -- Get a Degree for Your Experience

Diploma mills grant degrees for "work or life experience" alone. Accredited colleges may give a few credits for specific experience pertinent to a degree programme, but not an entire degree.

No Attendance
Legitimate colleges or universities, including online schools, require substantial course work.

Flat Fee
Many diploma mills charge on a per-degree basis.

Legitimate colleges charge by the credit, course, or semester, not a flat fee for an entire degree.

No Waiting
Operations that guarantee a degree in a few days, weeks, or even months aren't legitimate. If an ad promises that you can earn a degree very quickly, it's probably a diploma mill.

Click Here To Order Now!
Some diploma mills push themselves through aggressive sales tactics. Accredited colleges don't use spam or high-pressure telemarketing to market themselves. Some diploma mills also advertise in newspapers, magazines, and on the Web.

Advertising through spam or pop-ups
If the school caught your attention through an unsolicited email or pop-up ad, it may be a diploma mill. Legitimate institutions, including distance-learning programs, won't advertise through spam or pop-ups.

Fact Sheet #6 produced by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation in the US poses a series of questions for students, government, and the public in case they encounter questionable providers of higher education.

The checklist is quite informative in my view and can shed light on the sort of institutions that we are dealing with. If the answers to many of these questions are in the affirmative then you are dealing with a degree mill. Here is a reproduction of some of the questions on the checklist:

• Can degrees be purchased?
  • Is there a claim of accreditation when there is no evidence of this status?
  • Is there a claim of accreditation from a questionable accrediting organization? (they call these accreditation mills, actually)
  • Is little if any attendance required of students?
  • Is a very short period of time required to earn a degree?
  • Are degrees available based solely on experience or resume review?
  • Does the operation fail to provide any information about a campus or business location or address and relies, e.g., only on a post office box?
  • Does the operation have a name similar to other well-known colleges and universities?
Illustrative specific cases of degrees from degree mills

I am going to lose some friends because of what follows but I feel strongly that there should not be academic posers in our midst. I start with a Testimony before the US House of Representatives of September 23, 2004 by Robert J Cramer - the Managing Director, Office of Special Investigations. This report mentions the following universities as degree mills:

• Barrington University (Mobile, Alabama),
  • Lacrosse University (Bay St. Louis, Mississippi);
  • Pacific Western University (Los Angeles, California);
  • California Coast University (Santa Ana, California);
  • Hamilton University (Evanston, Wyoming); and
  • Kennedy-Western University (Thousand Oaks, California).
Now, I know a number of colleagues from Mzumbe University who have doctoral degrees from Pacific Western University (Los Angeles, California).

It is a shame that such kind of people should portray themselves as having attained any doctoral degree or any degree for that matter. These degrees are not worth even the paper they are printed on. Please, look out for other people with degrees from these institutions in your spare time.

Another prolific degree mill that has granted a number of bogus degrees in this country is the Commonwealth Open University. By all standards, it is also a degree mill. It operates from Virgin Islands -- one of havens for degree mills because of weak laws and regulations.

The Commonwealth Open University brags to be a member of the British Learning Association and the Council for Education in the Commonwealth. It also claims to be accredited to the Commission for Consistent Learning UK -- all of which are mere accreditation mills.I also know a number of people who go about branding doctoral degrees from Commonwealth Open University.

They would insist for you not to forget their title (Doctor So-and-So) when you introduce them. Personally whenever this happens my defences go up because something must be wrong with such a person. This is sad, more so if the people in question are academicians. I, for one, would readily understand a traditional healer borrowing the title 'Doctor or Professor for that matter' but it is absolutely unthinkable that an academic or one who claims to be an academic would perpetrate a degree mill fraud and want to get away with it. Someone has got to put a stop to this nonsense.

How can we put a stop to this nonsense and so what next then?

I would like to borrow verbatim here, the Texas Penal Code (Section 35.52) which prohibits the use of fraudulent or substandard degrees "in a written or oral advertisement or other promotion of a business;
or with the intent to: obtain employment;
  • obtain a licence or certificate to practise a trade, profession, or occupation;
  • obtain a promotion, a compensation or other benefit, or an increase in compensation or other benefit, in employment or in the practice of a trade, profession, or occupation;
  • obtain admission to an educational programme in this state;
  • or gain a position in government with authority over another person, regardless of whether the actor receives compensation for the position."
Violation of this law has serious implications.

A similar piece of law vigorously enforced will, in my view, be a good starting point to rout out this fast spreading disease in our midst. But it will take a while for such a law to be instituted and to take effect. I suggest, meanwhile, a name and shame campaign. Short of a dedicated campaign, it will come to a point where turkeys may not be able to be separated from true birds of flight.

By way of closing, one institution that has largely escaped this problem is the University of Dar es Salaam, essentially because of a zero tolerance attitude towards degree mill fraud. It takes a certain zeal, dedication and attention to achieve that and I must give credit where it is due. The management of the University of Dar es Salaam is on above this degree fraud game. It is this very same attitude that Tanzania now needs to adopt, or else we will soon have medical doctors butchering people on the operating tables, with fake qualifications from degree mills.

My very sincere apologies if I have trampled on the toes of some of you, my friends. But I didn't mention names, fortunately. In any case, the truth has to be told.

The author of this article is head of Accounting Department at the University of Dar es Salaam. We invite more comments and observations on this critical matter and promise to publish them all in the subsequent editions of the 'Sunday News'-- Editor Mussa J. Assad, University of Dar es Salaam

Ogah,

Kamuulize Mkandara kule maoni anasemaje, maana ndiye aliyekuwa anatetea hivi vyuo. Jamaa kaenda deep sana.

FD

FD, asante sana kwa kutupostia hii article, it is just priceless! Mussa Assad hongera sana, we need brave people like you. I totally support you call for naming and shaming all people with bogus qualifications, hapo ndio nasi tutatia mwiba kwa sirikali kuchukua hatua!

Bravo, for bringing this debate back. More is being revealed and every one should see crystal clear how serious the issue is - even a VC is a fake PhD holder? How can degree from that university have any meaning? Our education system is finished unless government takes action now to address this!

Sasa Mkandara arudi huku. Maana huyu mwenzetu Assad kutufunulia zaidi. Serikali hii imejaa wenye degree mills kibao; sijui wataanzia wapi. Nimesikia walimu wa UDSM wana mkutano Ijumaa 22. Moja ya agenda zao ni hizo degree mills.

Mungu atusaidia tuone ukweli

Now its turn for our Honourable Ministers with bogus PhDs. The information below was extracted from Parliament website.

Dr. Mary Nagu
Washington International University PhD 2002 2004
Netherlands, Singapore, Geneva Dip.Mgt 1988 1988
Tokyo - Japan Dip. Management 1987 1987
University of Dar es Salaam MA. (Economics) 1982 1984
Milan - Italy Dip. Business Administration 1979 1979
University of Dar es Salaam BA. (Economics) 1973 1976
Kilakala Secondary School A-Level Education 1971 1972

Dr. Emmanuel Nchimbi
CommonWealth Open University PhD (Management) 2001 2003
Mzumbe University MBA (Finance & Banking) 2001 2003
CommonWealth Open University MSc. (Management) 1999 2001
Institute of Development Management ADPA 1994 1997

Dr. David Matayo David
Free States University PhD (Agriculture) 2001 2003
Ambala University - India PG Dipl (Int. Rel) 2000 2001
Pretoria University MSc 1998 2001
India PG Dip in Pbl Adm. 1998 1999
SUA BSc. Vet Medicine 1992 1997

Dr. Diodorus Buberwa Kamala
Commonwealth Open University PhD in Economics 2002 2004
Brandford University MSc. (Agr.Dev and Rur. Fin) 1997 1998
Lincoln University MSc. (Organisational Systems) 1996 1997
IDM Adv. Dip. Economic Planning (ADEP) 1992 1995

Kwa mtaji huu, taifa letu litatafika kweli tunapokwenda?

Mkandara hawezi kurudi kwenye topic hii. Yeye alivyokuwa anatetea si ajabu naye analo moja la majipu haya. Ndio tatizo la kutowajuwa watu wanaoandika humu tunapotumia majina ya bandia kwani wengine wanakwenda kwenye maslahi yao moja kwa moja, hawataki tutafute utatuzi.

Historia ya hivi vyuo vilianzia na kile kilikuwa kinajiita Fairfax university mwanzoni ya miaka ya themanini mkuu wake akiwa ni baron fulani mwanamke pale uingereza. Bahati mbaya ni siku nyingi nimesahau jina lake lakini ninalo katika makaburasha yangu huko Tanzania. Wakafuata akina Knightbridge university humo wakajitoma jamaa wengi Wazimbabwe na Mozambique kujitweza hizo PhD. Hawa wa Mozambique wanashangaza kwani huko huitaji kuwa na PhD ili uitwe Dr. Wewe ukisomea sheria shahada ya kwanza na ukibaatika kwenda kuongezea certificate hata kama ni ya miezi mitatu ukirudi unajipachika mwenyewe cheo cha udokta - noma hiyo. Wale wa Zimbabwe ilikuwa ni lazima kutumia ujanja au tuseme ujinga huu. Mmoja akajipatia kazi ya u katibu mkuu katika wizara ya serekali ya mkoa wa Mpumalanga kule Afrika Kusini na walipochunguza wakagundua kuwa alihushi uraia wa Afrika kusini wakafuatilia hili la elimu nalo ikajitokeza Knightbridge. Huo ulikuwa mwaka 1999.

PhD za vyuo hivi zimeenea Zimbabwe na zinatumiwa kutafutia kazi SADC na COMESA na huko zinatumiwa chee chee tena kwa majisifu. Kulikoni? Kwasababu zilipigiwa kifua na wakubwa ambao pia walikuwa nazo PhD hizo kutoka PWU. Katibu Mkuu (SG) wa zamani wa PTA (sasa COMESA) ambaye sasa hivi ni raisi wa nchi moja ya SADC analo, katibu mkuu (ES) wa SADC aliyepita ambaye aliambukizwa na huyo wa PTA wakati akifanya kazi chini yake huko PTA anayo na mkuu wa ajira na utawala wa SADC anayo. Hawa jamaa walijaribu kuziingiza hadi ESAMI wakashtukiwa ikabidi waondoke. Hata hivyo Mzimbabwe mmoja alifikia kuwa na madaraka akiwa na doctorate hizo ikawa mishemishe hawajuwi wamuondowe vipi hadi mkataba ulipokwisha na maisha yakamfupikia. Ukiwa na $4000 PWU itakupa PhD baada ya miezi mitatu hadi sita. Eti miezi hiyo ni ya kuandika na kusubmit thesis.

Hawa aliowasema Assad Mussa ambao wanakuletea ujumbe nao hawa ni wa aina yao. Eti wamegunduwa mwanya kwenye mfumo wa elimu wa USA ambao unawawezesha kukupa shahada ya daraja lolote kutoka chuo chochote nchini humo ili mradi uwalipe tu $200. Mungu apishie mbali kuwa hata hizi PhD zinazotaja vyuo vya USA vya kujulikana iwe havikupatikana hivyo. Hawa si tofauti na wale wanaovichapisha hapo Kariakoo.

Hili la wanasiasa kuwa na PhD hizi sio baya kama lile la hawa walimu wa vyuo vikuu. Wanasiasa wakitaka kujiita professors kama akina maji marefu watakuwa wanajidanganya wenyewe tu, bali hawa walim wakifanya hivyo wanalidanganya taifa lote, wanahujumu elimu ya taifa zima. Hawa wangefukuzwa kazi mara moja. Wanasiasa watajuwa wenyewe waumbuwane vipi. Ninakumbuka Pro. Luhanga aliwawekea ngumu wanafunzi waliohushi vyeti vya Form VI ili waweze kuingia hapo UDSM wakati walim wenzake kule Mzumbe wana majipu ya PhD za PWU na vyuo vingine bandia kama hivi - jamaani. UDSM inabidi iwe msitari wa mbele kupig vita vitendo hivi - ni aibu na uaribifu wa elimu yetu.

Sidhani kuwa hili ni swali linalohitaji JK kujiingiza, ni Professor Msole ndiye anayestahili kuwajibika hapa kama ataendelea kuwa na kigugumizi kufuatilia kauli yake mwenyewe.

mTz, weka majina yote bwana kama umeamuwa kufanya hivyo. Ama sivyo utaonekana kubana baadhi yao tu.

Jizaledo!

Kuna wengine wanajiita maDr ila data zao sina! 1. Dr. Christant Majiyatanga Mzindakaya (MB) 2. Mohamed Chico (alikuwa RPC Knjaro) 3. Getrude Mongela (MB). kuna mtu anaweza kutoa data zao?

Duh, Mohammed Chico naye. Wazi hii ni zile zile kama ilivyo ya Mahanga? Nimeshikika na shughuli lakini nina uhakika ukiingia kwenye data za bunge utaona wengine zaidi. Data za Hon Madam Kigoda zinaelekea kwenye u medical assistant au alikuja kuupgrade kuwa daktari kamili?

Wengine kwenye hilo kundi la Mh Kigoda includes!
1. Dr. Zainab Gama
2. Dr. Mzeru O. Nibuka

Ni maaaaakubwa haya. Hivi anyedanganywa ni nani. Iko wapi raha ya kupasuka kichwa na changamoto la ubunifu na ugunduzi kama watu wanajipachika vitu vyao chee chee hivyo. Sasa Alhaj Field Marshal Iddi Amin Dada, OBE, DCA, VC10, DC9, HIV, AIDS asilaumiwe kwani wenye maradhi hayo ni wengi.

Niliona kwenye data za bunge zilizopita kuwa JM naye pia alionekana ni PhD wa kusomea au yake ni ya heshima bali walikosea?

Hivi uliona muheshimiwa naibu waziri miundo mbinu aliwahi kuwa mwenyekiti wa kamati yakuzuwia udanganyifu wa baraza la mitihani ya mambo ya ununuzi?

Huyu nilimsahau, asante mzee Jizaledo

Dr. Milton M. Mahanga

Washington International University PhD 1998 2000
Strathclyde University(UK) MSc. Finance 1997 1998
Institute of Finance Management(IFM) Taxation Course 1978 1978
NBMM, Dar es Salaam Material Management Course 1978 1980 DIPLOMA
NBAA(T) CPA 1977 1983 DIPLOMA

Suprising enough JK ndio kaamua kuwapa dhamana nzito, I always wonder! what has happened to the vetting process?

Its also pity that

continues..

all these chaps have good qualifications. Ni ulafi wa kutaka qualifications for political popularity, shame on them!

Serikali inasubiri nini kutoa tamko kuhusu vyuo feki?.

Lifanyike mambo yafuatayo

1.Serikali Itoe tamko, kuwa havitambui vyuo vyote ambavyo havitambuliwi na nchi na mabaraza ya accreditation husika na waliopata vyeti toka ktk hivyo vyuo.
2.Waliotumia fedha za serikali kupata hivyo vyeti warudishe maramoja
3.Kama ulipata dhamana ya serikali kutokana na hayo 1,2 hapo juu, serikali haitasita kukuwajibisha maramoja.

Kujiita Dr. au Prof hata President, its not a problem, pb inakuja pale unataka uwe treated ktk level moja na wale Ma-Dr., Ma-Prof, na Ma-President HALISI.

Kuna club nyingi tu hapa duniani wanaitana "Colonel", Brigediers na hata Generals. lakini, wasitake eti kupigiwa salute kama ma-kanali wa ukweli.
Kwa hiyo kama akina Nchimbi walijiunga na hizo "Club" waendelee kuitwa "Dr."

CV ya Nchimbi iwekwe hapa jamani kama ipo, ili tukate mzizi wa fitina!, na wale wote wanaoshukiwa kuwa na vihiyo wawekwe hapa CV zao zichambuliwe upyaaaaaa!

Back
Top Bottom