Wycliffe Muga: Magufuli 'Reforms' Are Meaningless

JUAN MANUEL

JF-Expert Member
Nov 26, 2010
In late 2009, Uhuru Kenyatta, who was then Finance minister, launched what was presented as a major cost-saving initiative. This was the replacement of the government's fleet of fuel-guzzler Mercedes-Benzes with a less expensive German car: the Volkswagen Passat.

About 130 of these Volkswagen Passats were bought at a reported cost of Sh500 million. And for some reason this was considered big news indeed, locally as well as overseas. So much so that I received a request for an interview from a leading global media operation to provide some local context to this ‘reform'.

On the appointed day, the call came through right on schedule. But from the very start, it was a very awkward interview. For the interviewer had already made up his mind – as foreign journalists reporting on Africa often will – as to what a Kenyan journalist would have to say on the subject at hand. He was really just seeking affirmation of his preconceptions.

When asked what I thought of the "brave decision" the Finance minister had taken, I answered that there was nothing brave about it, and it was fairly typical of the purely symbolic gestures that Kenyan governments routinely made to fool the public that there was progress being made.

This did not go down well with my interviewer. So he pointed out to me that there was clearly a reversal of previous (and wasteful) policy in which Kenyan governments had invariably bought the very latest and most expensive limousines for top officials.

I replied that this "new policy" was really a trivial side issue, hardly worthy of discussion. And that Kenyans had far more important things to worry about. I said: "It is mega corruption which is our real problem. The purchase of a couple of hundred Mercedes-Benzes is simply not that important."

By this point, my interviewer could not conceal his irritation. That is why I remember my words so clearly. He repeated them to me very slowly: "Did you say that the purchase of 200 brand new, top-of-the-range Mercedes-Benzes, by a poor developing nation like Kenya would be, in your opinion, a matter of little significance?"

I told him that I had not said that it was morally justifiable. Merely that it was statistically insignificant. And then went on to explain: those cars cost roughly Sh12 million each. So 200 of them would cost the exchequer Sh2.4 billion. But our annual budget was around Sh500 billion. So the cost of all those Mercedes-Benzes, barely came to 0.5 per cent of that budget. And as these cars would be used for at least five years, the cost of equipping every last one of our top government officials with their dream limousine, barely came to 0.1 per cent of the overall government expenditure for that period.

Meantime, an estimated $700 million had been fraudulently squandered or directly stolen in the broader Anglo Leasing scam just a few years earlier. That came to about Sh60 billion at that time. Now that was serious money. That is what deserved our attention. And that was the kind of loss the country could not afford.

Let me just say that my interviewer, who had obviously had no idea of Kenya's annual budget, and had probably not heard of Anglo Leasing, quickly ended the interview. And as far as I am aware, that segment was never broadcast.

But my point in explaining all this is to illustrate that the populist ‘cost-saving initiatives' that new Tanzanian President John Magufuli has embarked on, cannot really qualify as part of what Tanzania, like Kenya, really needs: a serious economic reform agenda.

Rather Dr Magufuli's headline-grabbing initiatives are very much like what Uhuru did with this scheme for dispensing with Mercedes-Benzes, when he was at the Treasury.

Such gimmicks are great for PR, and impress those who do not know how to count. But in terms of any potential positive impact on the economy – and especially in reducing endemic poverty – their significance is virtually zero.

Having a few dozen public servants flying overseas for conferences does not constitute a measurable setback for the Tanzanian economy. And stopping such petty extravagance will not make Tanzanians any better off.

It is mega corruption, and the failure to optimise on economic opportunities, that keep the ordinary Tanzanian as desperately poor as the average Kenyan. And it is precisely such complex challenges that presidents must have the courage to confront.

The writer is an editor | The Star

Unaona ni sahihi kuchukua maandiko ya Mkenya mmoja na kusema "Kenyans" ili ionekane kuwa ni kauli ya nchi nzima??

The Boss njoo umsome huyu, nina hakika utapendezwa na tathmini yake na wala hutasema it is too early to judge (kama unavuosema tukimsifia).

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes But at least he has shown courage!

Many initiatives will follow on cost curbing from Magufuli! We give him time!

Wait and see!

In late 2009, Uhuru Kenyatta, who was then Finance minister, launched what was presented as a major cost-saving initiative. This was the replacement of the government?s fleet of fuel-guzzler Mercedes-Benzes with a less expensive German car: the Volkswagen Passat.

About 130 of these Volkswagen Passats were bought at a reported cost of Sh500 million. And for some reason this was considered big news indeed, locally as well as overseas. So much so that I received a request for an interview from a leading global media operation to provide some local context to this ?reform?.

On the appointed day, the call came through right on schedule. But from the very start, it was a very awkward interview. For the interviewer had already made up his mind ? as foreign journalists reporting on Africa often will ? as to what a Kenyan journalist would have to say on the subject at hand. He was really just seeking affirmation of his preconceptions.

When asked what I thought of the ?brave decision? the Finance minister had taken, I answered that there was nothing brave about it, and it was fairly typical of the purely symbolic gestures that Kenyan governments routinely made to fool the public that there was progress being made.

This did not go down well with my interviewer. So he pointed out to me that there was clearly a reversal of previous (and wasteful) policy in which Kenyan governments had invariably bought the very latest and most expensive limousines for top officials.

I replied that this ?new policy? was really a trivial side issue, hardly worthy of discussion. And that Kenyans had far more important things to worry about. I said: ?It is mega corruption which is our real problem. The purchase of a couple of hundred Mercedes-Benzes is simply not that important.?

By this point, my interviewer could not conceal his irritation. That is why I remember my words so clearly. He repeated them to me very slowly: ?Did you say that the purchase of 200 brand new, top-of-the-range Mercedes-Benzes, by a poor developing nation like Kenya would be, in your opinion, a matter of little significance??

I told him that I had not said that it was morally justifiable. Merely that it was statistically insignificant. And then went on to explain: those cars cost roughly Sh12 million each. So 200 of them would cost the exchequer Sh2.4 billion. But our annual budget was around Sh500 billion. So the cost of all those Mercedes-Benzes, barely came to 0.5 per cent of that budget. And as these cars would be used for at least five years, the cost of equipping every last one of our top government officials with their dream limousine, barely came to 0.1 per cent of the overall government expenditure for that period.

Meantime, an estimated $700 million had been fraudulently squandered or directly stolen in the broader Anglo Leasing scam just a few years earlier. That came to about Sh60 billion at that time. Now that was serious money. That is what deserved our attention. And that was the kind of loss the country could not afford.

Let me just say that my interviewer, who had obviously had no idea of Kenya?s annual budget, and had probably not heard of Anglo Leasing, quickly ended the interview. And as far as I am aware, that segment was never broadcast.

But my point in explaining all this is to illustrate that the populist ?cost-saving initiatives? that new Tanzanian President John Magufuli has embarked on, cannot really qualify as part of what Tanzania, like Kenya, really needs: a serious economic reform agenda.

Rather Dr Magufuli?s headline-grabbing initiatives are very much like what Uhuru did with this scheme for dispensing with Mercedes-Benzes, when he was at the Treasury.

Such gimmicks are great for PR, and impress those who do not know how to count. But in terms of any potential positive impact on the economy ? and especially in reducing endemic poverty ? their significance is virtually zero.

Having a few dozen public servants flying overseas for conferences does not constitute a measurable setback for the Tanzanian economy. And stopping such petty extravagance will not make Tanzanians any better off.

It is mega corruption, and the failure to optimise on economic opportunities, that keep the ordinary Tanzanian as desperately poor as the average Kenyan. And it is precisely such complex challenges that presidents must have the courage to confront.

Magufuli is doomed to fail soon baada ya hii PR anayofanya bila mabadiliko ya kimfumo na taasisi hakuna kitu

Yes But at least he has shown courage!

Many initiatives will follow on cost curbing from Magufuli! We give him time!

Wait and see!

Lol! Your capacity to understand is beyond poor, however we agree with you as you said we should wait and see.

Now we're seeing with our open eyes as follows;
1. Muhongo terminated by kikwete regime on proven beyond no doubt on corruption appointed as minister by JPM
2. Nchemba, JPM himself discovered fraudulent, corruption, inability to close supervise TRA for tax collection in ministry of finance and terminated some of high rank officers and they're now facing trial in court of law YET NCHEMBA APPOINTED AS A MINISTER
3. DR. mbwembwe Harrison again JPM and his PM discovered corruption and looting of public fund through purchase of wagon pale TRC na mengine mengi YET ni waziri
4. Makamba 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂 matokeo ya fadhira na hana uwezo wowote just like his father as we all know.

Sasa as u said we have to wait YES INDEED WE'RE WAITING

Ha ha ha!!

Yes ila wote hawa waliiingizwa wakati mambo yameshaharibika!

Time will finally tell!

He who laughs last laughs long!

Wait and see!
Lol! Your capacity to understand is beyond poor, however we agree with you as you said we should wait and see.

Now we're seeing with our open eyes as follows;
1. Muhongo terminated by kikwete regime on proven beyond no doubt on corruption appointed as minister by JPM
2. Nchemba, JPM himself discovered fraudulent, corruption, inability to close supervise TRA for tax collection in ministry of finance and terminated some of high rank officers and they're now facing trial in court of law YET NCHEMBA APPOINTED AS A MINISTER
3. DR. mbwembwe Harrison again JPM and his PM discovered corruption and looting of public fund through purchase of wagon pale TRC na mengine mengi YET ni waziri
4. Makamba  matokeo ya fadhira na hana uwezo wowote just like his father as we all know.

Sasa as u said we have to wait YES INDEED WE'RE WAITING

Any kind of reform requires time and with Magufuli, what he has already done is just the beginning, he has a long list of things to do to reach what we would call true economic reforms and all this can be referred to his campaign promises.

in late 2009, uhuru kenyatta, who was then finance minister, launched what was presented as a major cost-saving initiative. This was the replacement of the government's fleet of fuel-guzzler mercedes-benzes with a less expensive german car: The volkswagen passat.

About 130 of these volkswagen passats were bought at a reported cost of sh500 million. And for some reason this was considered big news indeed, locally as well as overseas. So much so that i received a request for an interview from a leading global media operation to provide some local context to this ‘reform'.

On the appointed day, the call came through right on schedule. But from the very start, it was a very awkward interview. For the interviewer had already made up his mind – as foreign journalists reporting on africa often will – as to what a kenyan journalist would have to say on the subject at hand. He was really just seeking affirmation of his preconceptions.

When asked what i thought of the "brave decision" the finance minister had taken, i answered that there was nothing brave about it, and it was fairly typical of the purely symbolic gestures that kenyan governments routinely made to fool the public that there was progress being made.

This did not go down well with my interviewer. So he pointed out to me that there was clearly a reversal of previous (and wasteful) policy in which kenyan governments had invariably bought the very latest and most expensive limousines for top officials.

I replied that this "new policy" was really a trivial side issue, hardly worthy of discussion. And that kenyans had far more important things to worry about. I said: "it is mega corruption which is our real problem. The purchase of a couple of hundred mercedes-benzes is simply not that important."

by this point, my interviewer could not conceal his irritation. That is why i remember my words so clearly. He repeated them to me very slowly: "did you say that the purchase of 200 brand new, top-of-the-range mercedes-benzes, by a poor developing nation like kenya would be, in your opinion, a matter of little significance?"

i told him that i had not said that it was morally justifiable. Merely that it was statistically insignificant. And then went on to explain: Those cars cost roughly sh12 million each. So 200 of them would cost the exchequer sh2.4 billion. But our annual budget was around sh500 billion. So the cost of all those mercedes-benzes, barely came to 0.5 per cent of that budget. And as these cars would be used for at least five years, the cost of equipping every last one of our top government officials with their dream limousine, barely came to 0.1 per cent of the overall government expenditure for that period.

Meantime, an estimated $700 million had been fraudulently squandered or directly stolen in the broader anglo leasing scam just a few years earlier. That came to about sh60 billion at that time. Now that was serious money. That is what deserved our attention. And that was the kind of loss the country could not afford.

Let me just say that my interviewer, who had obviously had no idea of kenya's annual budget, and had probably not heard of anglo leasing, quickly ended the interview. And as far as i am aware, that segment was never broadcast.

But my point in explaining all this is to illustrate that the populist ‘cost-saving initiatives' that new tanzanian president john magufuli has embarked on, cannot really qualify as part of what tanzania, like kenya, really needs: A serious economic reform agenda.

Rather dr magufuli's headline-grabbing initiatives are very much like what uhuru did with this scheme for dispensing with mercedes-benzes, when he was at the treasury.

Such gimmicks are great for pr, and impress those who do not know how to count. But in terms of any potential positive impact on the economy – and especially in reducing endemic poverty – their significance is virtually zero.

Having a few dozen public servants flying overseas for conferences does not constitute a measurable setback for the tanzanian economy. And stopping such petty extravagance will not make tanzanians any better off.

It is mega corruption, and the failure to optimise on economic opportunities, that keep the ordinary tanzanian as desperately poor as the average kenyan. And it is precisely such complex challenges that presidents must have the courage to confront.

The writer is an editor | the star

tatizo la watanzania ni kwamba anayeandika kiingereza huonekana wa maana kuliko mswahili, hata kama anaongea pumba.....mwalimu julius kambarage nyerere (r.i.p mzee)

Just like your interviewer, you dont get it! You dare call the stemming of "oozing" of government revenue at the dar port and the grand collusion of it by the tax authorty tra petty and inconsequential?!!? You dont get it or you are all out to demean JPM's efforts!

Anyway wewe ni editor kanjanja wa gazeti la udaku Star; hatushangai ulichokiandika!

In late 2009, Uhuru Kenyatta, who was then Finance minister, launched what was presented as a major cost-saving initiative. This was the replacement of the government?s fleet of fuel-guzzler Mercedes-Benzes with a less expensive German car: the Volkswagen Passat.

About 130 of these Volkswagen Passats were bought at a reported cost of Sh500 million. And for some reason this was considered big news indeed, locally as well as overseas. So much so that I received a request for an interview from a leading global media operation to provide some local context to this ?reform?.

On the appointed day, the call came through right on schedule. But from the very start, it was a very awkward interview. For the interviewer had already made up his mind ? as foreign journalists reporting on Africa often will ? as to what a Kenyan journalist would have to say on the subject at hand. He was really just seeking affirmation of his preconceptions.

When asked what I thought of the ?brave decision? the Finance minister had taken, I answered that there was nothing brave about it, and it was fairly typical of the purely symbolic gestures that Kenyan governments routinely made to fool the public that there was progress being made.

I replied that this ?new policy? was really a trivial side issue, hardly worthy of discussion. And that Kenyans had far more important things to worry about. I said: ?It is mega corruption which is our real problem. The purchase of a couple of hundred Mercedes-Benzes is simply not that important.?

By this point, my interviewer could not conceal his irritation. That is why I remember my words so clearly. He repeated them to me very slowly: ?Did you say that the purchase of 200 brand new, top-of-the-range Mercedes-Benzes, by a poor developing nation like Kenya would be, in your opinion, a matter of little significance??

Let me just say that my interviewer, who had obviously had no idea of Kenya?s annual budget, and had probably not heard of Anglo Leasing, quickly ended the interview. And as far as I am aware, that segment was never broadcast.

But my point in explaining all this is to illustrate that the populist ?cost-saving initiatives? that new Tanzanian President John Magufuli has embarked on, cannot really qualify as part of what Tanzania, like Kenya, really needs: a serious economic reform agenda.

Rather Dr Magufuli?s headline-grabbing initiatives are very much like what Uhuru did with this scheme for dispensing with Mercedes-Benzes, when he was at the Treasury.

Such gimmicks are great for PR, and impress those who do not know how to count. But in terms of any potential positive impact on the economy ? and especially in reducing endemic poverty ? their significance is virtually zero.

I think u havent taken all the JPM's angles of thinking, where did u want him to start?? Jas wait n see he'll prove u wrong! Talking of Nchemba n Muhongo they are good player given that now they are working with a good couch! By the way hata Jesus did not come to save those who are not sinners, JPM has given them second chance they can do better let just have faith in them! Hata Messi akija kujiunga na timu yetu ya taifa ataonekana hapaform vizuri bt akirudi kwa timu yake anafanya mambo poa! So for my opinion Nchemba n Muhongo wataperform pouwa this time!

Magufuli was not prepared well to lead as a Head of the State...!!!

Ila Mungu amuongoze, alianza vizuri.. ila baraza la mawaziri kavuruga sana.. Nape, Mwakyembe, January... hawa wanafaa kuwa mawaziri...? JPM hapa kachemka vibaya sanaa...

👉🚶🚶🚶

Back
Top Bottom