- Apr 16, 2009
World Aids Day December 1
World AIDS Day is celebrated around the world on December 1st each year. It has become one of the most recognized international health days and a key opportunity to raise awareness, commemorate those who have passed on, and celebrate victories, such as increased access to treatment and prevention services.
UNAIDS took the lead on campaigning for World AIDS Day from its creation until 2004. From 2004 onwards the World AIDS Campaign's Global Steering Committee began selecting a theme for World AIDS Day in consultation with civil society, organisations and government agencies involved in the AIDS response.
Themes run for one or two years and are not just specific to World AIDS Day. Campaigning slogans such as ‘Stop AIDS. Keep the Promise' have been used year-round to hold governments accountable for their HIV and AIDS related commitments.
The United Nations Response -
- 2012 UNAIDS World AIDS Day Report
- 2011 UNAIDS World AIDS Day Report
- UNAIDS Outlook 2010
- Agenda for Accelerated Country Action for Women, Girls, Gender Equality and HIV
- Children and AIDS: Fourth Stocktaking Report, 2009
- UNAIDS Outcome Framework 2009-2011 "Joint Action for Results"
Guidelines on construction of core indicators (2010 reporting)
- What countries need: Investments needed for 2010 targets
- AIDS Outlook 2009
- Report on the global AIDS epidemic
- Ministerial Declaration adopted at the first meeting of Ministers of Health and Education to stop HIV/AIDS and sexually transmitted infections in Latin America and the Caribbean "Prevention through education"
- Political Declaration on HIV/AIDS
- Declaration of Commitment on HIV/AIDS
- 2011: Getting to Zero - Zero New HIV Infections. Zero Discrimination and Zero AIDS-Related Deaths
- 2010: Universal Access and Human Rights
- 2009: Stop AIDS: Keep the Promise
- 2008: Lead, Empower, Deliver
- 2007: Take the Lead: Stop AIDS, Keep the Promise
- 2006: Stop AIDS: Keep the Promise
- 2005: Stop AIDS, Keep the Promise
- 2004: Have you heard me today?
- 2003: Live and Let Live!
- 2002: Live and Let Live!
- 2001: I care, do you?
- 2000: AIDS: Men Make a Difference
- 1999: The Children Left Behind
From USA.gov -
World AIDS Day is Saturday, December 1. The 2012 theme is "Working Together for an AIDS-Free Generation".
STAY SAFE & GET TESTED