Why Magufuli administration misses the point on Government splurge

Status
Not open for further replies.
No Sloppy Living

I love to play sport. I have never been particularly good at it, but I enjoy it enormously. Not many of the guys I play squash with play at a very high standard; it is all very friendly and relaxed and yet we are very competitive! Even the level we play at requires ‘strict training’. I have to train and play regularly. It is one of the reasons I try to be careful about what I eat and how much sleep I get.
The apostle Paul writes, ‘You’ve all been to the stadium and seen the athletes race. Everyone runs; one wins. Run to win. All good athletes train hard. They do it for a gold medal that tarnishes and fades. You’re after one that’s gold eternally’ (1 Corinthians 9:24–25, MSG).
If those who compete at sport go into strict training in order to achieve something that ‘will not last’, how much more should we go into ‘strict training’ in our moral and spiritual life in order to ‘get a crown that will last for ever’ (v.25).
Paul writes, ‘I don’t know about you, but I’m running hard for the finish line. I’m giving it everything I’ve got. No sloppy living for me! I’m staying alert and in top condition’ (v.26, MSG). Worshipping and serving God is Paul’s aim and ambition in life. He wants to do it to the very best of his ability. He wants to give it everything he’s got. He is going for gold.
Worship and service are very closely connected (the same Greek word latreuo is used for both). All human beings are worshippers. You either worship the one true God, or someone or something else. All human beings are servants – to God, to yourself or to someone or something else.
In the passages for today, we see the importance of worshipping and serving the one true God with all of our hearts and beings – giving everything we have got – no sloppy living.

Psalm 97:1-12

Why do you worship and serve?

God is in charge of his universe. ‘The Lord reigns’ (v.1). If the Lord did not reign, there would be no point to life – but he does and there is cause for rejoicing (v.1).
The psalmist calls for all creation to worship, ‘On your knees... worship Him!’ (v.7, MSG).
He praises God – first, for who he is, and second, for what he has done. It is because of who God is that he acts to bring protection, deliverance, guidance and joy to his people (vv.10–12).

God is your protector
He guards your life: ‘Those who love him he keeps safe’ (v.10b, MSG).

God is your deliverer
He delivers you from the hand of the wicked (v.10c). He snatches you from their grip (v.10c, MSG).

God is your guide
He sheds light on you. He guides and convicts, opening your eyes (v.11a).

God is your joy
He gives joy so you can rejoice in him and praise his holy name (vv.11b,12) – ‘The irrepressible joy that comes from consciousness of His favour and protection’ (v.11, AMP).

‘So’, he concludes, ‘God’s people, shout praise to God, Give thanks to our Holy God!’ (v.12, MSG).

Lord, thank you that you are my protector, my deliverer, my guide and my joy.

Membe has a strategy but it will never work. Will dilate on this emphatic conclusion about him
Mwenyekiti%20wa%20Tume%20ya%20Taifa%20ya%20Uchaguzi%20(NEC)%2C%20Mh.%20Jaji%20wa%20Rufaa%20(Ms...jpg

Jeremiah 17:5–8

5 Thus says the LORD:

“Cursed is the man who trusts in man
and makes flesh his strength,
whose heart turns away from the LORD.

6 He is like a shrub in the desert,
and shall not see any good come.
He shall dwell in the parched places of the wilderness, in an uninhabited salt land.

7 “Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD, whose trust is the LORD.

8 He is like a tree planted by water,
that sends out its roots by the stream, and does not fear when heat comes, for its leaves remain green,
and is not anxious in the year of drought, for it does not cease to bear fruit.”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom