Why is once-peaceful Tanzania detaining journalists, arresting schoolgirls and killing opposition leaders?

Kaka Pekee

JF-Expert Member
Apr 3, 2018
As written:

Why is once-peaceful Tanzania detaining journalists, arresting schoolgirls and killing opposition leaders?

The bad news: among other human rights abuses, the Tanzanian government is targeting Tanzanians who need healthcare the most. Specifically gay and transgender men, school-aged girls who are or have been pregnant, and women.

The president of Tanzania actually said: 1. That pregnant girls should not be allowed back in school after the births; and 2. That women who use birth control are lazy because they don't want to raise children. And the mayor of Tanzania's largest city called for anyone who knows gay people to name them directly to him.

Tanzania is a country that I love. I post this so that my friends and family can see what's going on in a place that held me like its own, where its people loved me like their own. It's not just a random place on a map. It is my second home.

Source:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...leaders/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.c125aff0e597

Back
Top Bottom