University project_Kenya

Yiannis

Jan 28, 2015
Hello my name is Yiannis Hadjipapas and I am a Msc student at Brunel university ,Uxbridge, Uk I am currently working on a project for water transportation in Kenya.

My brief is to design a water transportation method for people in Kenya with potentials of lightening their duties and income generation. The idea is to provide an instruction booklet to a village and by using locally sourced and waste material they will build and use a transportation device for water or their jerrycans.

Since my idea is based on up-cycling waste materials and use local materials, my challenges is to make sure that my design/idea is feasible.

I would be grateful if you can provide me some information for locally sourced materials and what are the most usual material waste. My current design is made using waste jerrycans and bamboo. However are jerry cans easy to find in Rural areas in Kenya? Are there bamboo near the rural villages?

Any information would be helpful
Thank you in advance

Yiannis Hadjipapas

MSc Integrated Product Design
BA. Product and Furniture Design

wait for the Kenyans am sure most of them are jf members. Good idea

Hello my name is Yiannis Hadjipapas and I am a Msc student at Brunel university ,Uxbridge,Uk
I am currently working on a project for water transportation in Kenya. My brief is to design a water transportation method for people in Kenya with potentials of lightening their duties and income generation. The idea is to provide an instruction booklet to a village and by using locally sourced and waste material they will build and use a transportation device for water or their jerrycans. Since my idea is based on up-cycling waste materials and use local materials, my challenges is to make sure that my design/idea is feasible.

I would be grateful if you can provide me some information for locally sourced materials and what are the most usual material waste. My current design is made using waste jerrycans and bamboo. However are jerry cans easy to find in Rural areas in Kenya? Are there bamboo near the rural villages?
Thank you in advance

Yiannis Hadjipapas

Welcome,

It's a great thing you're thinking about solutions. Now, Rural Kenya is quite big and pretty much diverse. However, I don't think bamboo is that much available. As for Jericans, those are very much available, and they are sold quite cheaply too. It however will depend on how many Jericans/surface area of the plastics. The issue of providing a booklet is another issue all together

Capture.PNG

From our team research we came across different solutions by designers and organizations and we thought that providing a solution is the first stage but a long term solution is to provide more benefits and opportunities to a rural village
The idea is to provide a simple instruction booklet and people are going to collect what is available in the area such as bamboo, bottles, jerrycans, clay and what ever is available to build a transportation method so it can make it easier for them when they need to collect water outside of their villages.
In that way we thought people could sell their services buy building the solution and sell it to the rest of the village with a potential of a "business"

Thank you all for your responses any suggestions, comments and information are appreciated

In the image below I have included some of my early sketches of possible ideas

Untitled-1.jpg

Hapo Wakenya huwezi kuwaona! Si mnajifanya mnajua Kiingereza sasa mwenye Lugha amekuja na anafuta Ushirikiano!
Siyo kila siku sijui suburbs za Nairobi sijui Nairobi hivi, mara Watz hawajui Kiingereza, na Mungu Si Kibaki, kawaletea mwenyewe sasa kazi kwenu!

Hello my name is Yiannis Hadjipapas and I am a Msc student at Brunel university ,Uxbridge,Uk
I am currently working on a project for water transportation in Kenya. My brief is to design a water transportation method for people in Kenya with potentials of lightening their duties and income generation. The idea is to provide an instruction booklet to a village and by using locally sourced and waste material they will build and use a transportation device for water or their jerrycans. Since my idea is based on up-cycling waste materials and use local materials, my challenges is to make sure that my design/idea is feasible.

Thank you in advance

Yiannis Hadjipapas

Kenya hamna Miti ya bamboo, ukitaka Miti ya Bamboo njoo kwetu TZ au Tanzania ukipenda huku ndio nchi ya maziwa na asali iliyobaki hapa Afrika huko Kenya wameshauza ardhi yote kwa Wazungu na Wanasiasa!

Hapo Wakenya huwezi kuwaona! Si mnajifanya mnajua Kiingereza sasa mwenye Lugha amekuja na anafuta Ushirikiano!
Siyo kila siku sijui suburbs za Nairobi sijui Nairobi hivi, mara Watz hawajui Kiingereza, na Mungu Si Kibaki, kawaletea mwenyewe sasa kazi kwenu!

Wewe ni mtu mpum.bavu sana aisee. Ungekuwa na akili hata kidogo ungejua kuwa mleta mada haneni kwa kiingereza kama lugha yake ya kwanza. Kwa kuwa wewe kiingereza hukijui na ukiona maandishi yoyote unababaika, unabaki ukiropoka maneno ya kipuzi ambayo hayana maana yoyote. Aje huko akafanye nini? Kwani wewe na hizo akili zako huwezi kuwajengea waTanzania solutions amabzo ni homegrown akili yako tu yafikiri mtu kutoka nje aje akakufanyie maendeleo? kweli wewe ni mtumwa wa kimawazo.

Hi yiannis, maybe the best you can do is to buy them a water pump to pump water from the river to a common point where they'll pay a few shillings for servicing the water pump and the rest can be used on other things or better yet they can irrigate their farms and generate income from what they produce.

Wewe ni mtu mpum.bavu sana aisee. Ungekuwa na akili hata kidogo ungejua kuwa mleta mada haneni kwa kiingereza kama lugha yake ya kwanza. Kwa kuwa wewe kiingereza hukijui na ukiona maandishi yoyote unababaika, unabaki ukiropoka maneno ya kipuzi ambayo hayana maana yoyote. Aje huko akafanye nini? Kwani wewe na hizo akili zako huwezi kuwajengea waTanzania solutions amabzo ni homegrown akili yako tu yafikiri mtu kutoka nje aje akakufanyie maendeleo? kweli wewe ni mtumwa wa kimawazo.

We mshikaji vipi? Unasema jamaa Kiingereza SIYO lugha yake, umejuaje? Si unaona Anwani hiyo anatoka huko Uxibridge, Uingereza halafu isitoshe mimi najua Kiingereza kwa kiasi fulani hivyo naweza kutofautisha Kiingereza cha Mwafrika cha kukariri kama chako na kile cha Kizungu chenyewe!

From our team research we came across different solutions by designers and organizations and we thought that providing a solution is the first stage but a long term solution is to provide more benefits and opportunities to a rural village
The idea is to provide a simple instruction booklet and people are going to collect what is available in the area such as bamboo, bottles, jerrycans, clay and what ever is available to build a transportation method so it can make it easier for them when they need to collect water outside of their villages.
In that way we thought people could sell their services buy building the solution and sell it to the rest of the village with a potential of a "business"

Thank you all for your responses any suggestions, comments and information are appreciated

In the image below I have included some of my early sketches of possible ideas

Is there a specific reason why you chose Kenya? Are you a UK Native or you're just studying in the UK?

The reason why I'm asking this is because I can see an obvious design flaw in the first concept, and it may help to know the genesis of your idea.

First, in Rural Kenya, men are not the ones who fetch water from the river. Its women. and the first concept where a man is carrying water on his back is an extremely uncomfortable position for a woman. secondly, water is normally carried in 20 litre containers, and this means that if the woman comes from a culture where water is carried on the back, then she has to carry it with her body leaning forward, and the head/hands under the chin supporting the back
https://www.google.com/search?q=kik...enyan-largest-and-a-warrior-tribe%2F;749;1024

If she comes from a culture where water is carried on her head, she'll find the first concept taxing. You really can't expect a 14/15 year old girl to carry water in that manner.

Thirdly, the jerrycans are usually cylindrical in shape. So when you're designing, put that in mind.

I haven't understood the other concepts but I think the foundation of the project has a little problem - the user is assumed to be male whereas they are predominantly female. And still, no man worth his salt will be seen carrying water on his back.

We mshikaji vipi? Unasema jamaa Kiingereza SIYO lugha yake, umejuaje? Si unaona Anwani hiyo anatoka huko Uxibridge, Uingereza halafu isitoshe mimi najua Kiingereza kwa kiasi fulani hivyo naweza kutofautisha Kiingereza cha Mwafrika cha kukariri kama chako na kile cha Kizungu chenyewe!

Kwanini hata huwezi jibu mada kwa kiingereza? Una akili ndogo kiasi gani iwe unamwambia mtu asiyeelewa Kiswahili ati aje Tanzania?

Kwani hujawahi ona mtanzania UK? Kwa hivyo kila mtu mwenye anaishi uingereza kiingereza ndiyo lugha yake ya kwanza? Najua hata hujaelewa swali alilouliza. Kama wewe ndume, si uandike kwa kiingereza hapa? :bounce:

Is there a specific reason why you chose Kenya? Are you a UK Native or you're just studying in the UK?

The reason why I'm asking this is because I can see an obvious design flaw in the first concept, and it may help to know the genesis of your idea.

First, in Rural Kenya, men are not the ones who fetch water from the river. Its women. and the first concept where a man is carrying water on his back is an extremely uncomfortable position for a woman. secondly, water is normally carried in 20 litre containers, and this means that if the woman comes from a culture where water is carried on the back, then she has to carry it with her body leaning forward, and the head/hands under the chin supporting the back
https://www.google.com/search?q=kik...enyan-largest-and-a-warrior-tribe%2F;749;1024

If she comes from a culture where water is carried on her head, she'll find the first concept taxing. You really can't expect a 14/15 year old girl to carry water in that manner.

Thirdly, the jerrycans are usually cylindrical in shape. So when you're designing, put that in mind.

I haven't understood the other concepts but I think the foundation of the project has a little problem - the user is assumed to be male whereas they are predominantly female. And still, no man worth his salt will be seen carrying water on his back.

Hili darasa hata kwangu pia, kumbe kuna ubebaji Maji wa aina hiyo? Mimi najua wa aina moja tu, kubeba kichwani!

Kwanini hata huwezi jibu mada kwa kiingereza? Una akili ndogo kiasi gani iwe unamwambia mtu asiyeelewa Kiswahili ati aje Tanzania?

Kwani hujawahi ona mtanzania UK? Kwa hivyo kila mtu mwenye anaishi uingereza kiingereza ndiyo lugha yake ya kwanza? Najua hata hujaelewa swali alilouliza. Kama wewe ndume, si uandike kwa kiingereza hapa? :bounce:

Siwezi kuandika Kiingereza kwa uhuru, ufasaha na kwa kujiamini kama ninavyoweza kuandika kwa Kiswahili ndio maana nachangia kwa Kiswahili zaidi lakini kusoma naelewa kila kitu na pia ikibidi basi naweza pia kuandika kuandika hata kwa Kiingereza!

Thank you very much for your reply
I am not from the UK I am from Cyprus and I am studying here
Our design brief was to design a method for the sub-Saharan Africa and we decided to choose Kenya to make our research easier and focused
Yes form our research we found out that women are collecting water and the man on the sketch it was just for illustration purposes. Your information for the different cultures and ways of carrying water are really helpful and thank you

I am going to consider your information and recommendation for my concept development

Siwezi kuandika Kiingereza kwa uhuru, ufasaha na kwa kujiamini kama ninavyoweza kuandika kwa Kiswahili ndio maana nachangia kwa Kiswahili zaidi lakini kusoma naelewa kila kitu na pia ikibidi basi naweza pia kuandika kuandika hata kwa Kiingereza!

Sawa mkuu. Hamna shida. Kiingereza sio kila kitu; ila ni vyema ujifunze kuandika. Nina mchungaji aliyejifunza kiingereza (aliaacha kusoma akiwa kidato cha kwanza huko UG.) Na hivi sasa akafanya hata degree bila kuenda Shule ya Upili. Saa hii amendikwa kazi na NGO fulani ya kimataifa. Kuhusu mleta mada, Sasa waona yeye mwenyewe kasema kuwa yeye siye mwingereza na kuwa yuatoka Cyprus? Wengine wetu kiingereza njugu karanga - sio eti ni kitu cha kujigamba hata hivyo.

Yiannis,

If you want Kenyan views, go to a Kenyan forum.

This is a Tanzanian forum filled with hate against Kenyans.

Yiannis am sorry but this sounds so so corny--->..."provide an instruction booklet for the village..." Dude things dont work like that around these parts.

Hope you fared well with your uni project but you still havent answered the question - why kenya?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom