Eronda
JF-Expert Member
- Dec 16, 2025
- 1,012
- 549
Uganda’s Chief of Defence Forces, Gen. Muhoozi Kainerugaba, has issued strong threats against independent media outlets and opposition politicians, claiming he has his father’s backing.
In recent statements, Gen. Muhoozi son of President Yoweri Museveni said he has been authorised to shut down the Daily Monitor newspaper and NTV Uganda television station. He accused them of mocking his family’s 40-year rule.
“I want to switch off both Daily Monitor and NTV Uganda. I will do it soon. I just need clearance from Mzee,” Muhoozi posted on social media, referring to President Museveni as “Mzee.”
He also warned that his group, the Patriotic League of Uganda (PLU), could forcefully take over the Leader of Opposition (LoP) position in Parliament, even though the ruling National Resistance Movement (NRM) holds the majority of seats.
Additionally, Gen. Muhoozi threatened to arrest current LoP Joel Ssenyonyi and former MP Ibrahim Ssemujju Nganda. The two had criticised him over the reported abduction and torture of former Kampala Mayor Erias Lukwago.