Uganda: Election loser rescued from eating pork

ByaseL

JF-Expert Member
Nov 22, 2007
Newvision

THE Police and army officers in Mityana rescued a Muslim man who was being forced to eat pork on Sunday.

Ali Kaaya had vowed to go against Islam and eat pork if his candidate, Henry Kamya Makumbi of NRM, did not win the Mityana South parliamentary seat.

He then made a written bet with his workmate, Issa Lwanyaga, a driver at Busimbi Lorry Park and a supporter of Ssozi Kaddu Mukasa.

As luck would have it, Makumbi lost the polls on Friday.

On Sunday morning, after the Electoral Commission announced Kaddu Mukasa as the winner, the drivers got hold of Kaaya and bought a kilo of roast pork.

As they roasted it, a few others tried to rescue him but failed. Some Police officers on a patrol vehicle also attempted to rescue Kaaya but failed.

Later, more armed Police together with UPDF soldiers arrived and rescued Kaaya. He was taken to Mityana Police Station for safe custody.

“There was no need for the security operatives to intervene. We signed the agreement between us and a few of our colleagues witnessed it. This is why I was not afraid even when they came with guns because I have the written agreement,” Lwanyaga said as he brandished his document.

He vowed to make Kaaya fulfil his bet when he returned to the workplace.

“I am a Muslim so when I made this agreement, I knew I would not eat pork but I would apologise and pay a fine. This is what Kaaya should have done but he resisted paying the fine. I have the agreement, I will take him to court,” Lwanyaga added.

Muslim leaders in Mityana district warned their flock against such behaviour.

“We should respect and abide by our religion,” Sheikh Ali Kasaliko, the district Khadi said.

I like that! People should respect their contracts and agreements! They should make informed decisions!!!

And those Polices had nothing better to do? what the hell! the guy made a mutual agreement so leave him alone and mind your other ethical problems of gay and lesbian saga. I really thought that it was a life threatening problem!

Uganda opposition calls for peaceful protests

Ugandapix.jpg

Former Presidential candidates Kizza Besigye (left) and Olara Otunu during a meeting at Sharing Hall Nsambya, Kampala February 24, 2011, where they called on their supporters to stage peaceful protests against veteran President Yoweri Museveni's overwhelming victory. STEPHEN WANDERA | AFRICA REVIEW |

By GERALD BAREEBE in Kampala (email the author)

Posted Thursday, February 24 2011 at 20:07

Uganda’s main opposition leaders Thursday called for peaceful protests against President Yoweri Museveni’s leadership and also demanded that fresh, free and fair elections be held under certain minimum conditions.

The government, however, received news of this development without flinching.

Information minister Kabakumba Matsiko told the local Daily Monitor that the government was well-equipped to quash any opposition uprising.

“Their call is of no consequence because we shall easily suppress them,” Ms Kabakumba said Thursday.

In a joint statement read to the press and supporters after a meeting in Kampala, Kizza Besigye (FDC/IPC), Olara Otunnu (UPC), Matthias Nsubuga representing party president Norbert Mao (DP) and independent candidate Walter Sam Lubega, repeated the accusation that the presidential election was a “big sham”.

Only option left

The four, who alongside another candidate, Jaberi Bidandi Ssali, have previously said they will not recognise the new government to be sworn-in, in May, said other constitutional options in the quest for democracy had failed.

“It is now clear that Ugandans cannot advance democracy through elections, the courts or Parliament under Mr Museveni and the NRM leadership,” said Dr Besigye, reading from the statement.

“… We have explored several constitutional options with no success … The only option left, that is allowed by the Constitution and which is peaceful to challenge the results of this sham election, is for the people to assert their sovereign power under Article 1 of the Constitution.”

SOURCE: Africa Review*- Uganda opposition calls for peaceful protests

UJUMBE HUMU:

Uganda si shwari!!!

US tells Museveni to go easy on post-election protests

Carsonpix.jpg

America's top Africa diplomat Johnnie Carson (left) has urged President Museveni to allow peaceful protests Photo/SUNDAY MONITOR |

By TABU BUTAGIRA in Kampala (email the author)
Send Can
Posted Sunday, February 27 2011 at 14:53

President Museveni should stop bullying opposition activists and permit peaceful demonstrations because "freedom of association in a peaceful manner is a clear democratic right", the top US diplomat for Africa has said.

In an interview aired Friday on the BBC's The World Today programme, Assistant Secretary of State for Africa, Ambassador Johnnie Carson, said: "I would appeal to President Museveni to allow the peaceful demonstrations. Freedom of association in a peaceful manner is a clear democratic right; it is a fundamental right."

Security officials have warned of decisive action against demonstrators ever since main opposition leaders in Uganda, among them Dr Kizza Besigye, who was flag bearer for the Inter-Party Cooperation, rejected results of the February 18 presidential vote.

Dr Besigye and compatriots; UPC's Olara Otunnu, Mr Norbert Mao (DP) and former Independent candidate, Mr Samuel Lubega, mid-week called for peaceful protests countrywide to remove "President Museveni's illegitimate government."

Leveraging incumbency

In the interview with the British public broadcaster, Mr Carson, however, advised disgruntled opposition figureheads, whom he said he met a fortnight to the poll, to seek legal redress instead of resorting to street protests, because "we think that Uganda does have a fair justice system."

"There is no doubt in my mind that this election was better than the previous elections and probably reflected the will of the majority [of voters]," he added.

The EU, Commonwealth and African Union observers all have, in their preliminary reports on the elections, pointed to inherent organisational and management lapses by election officials in conducting the ballot, vote-buying by the ruling NRM party and Mr Museveni leveraging incumbency to "severely compromise" free participation for the opposition.

Mr Carson, in a conflicting statement, said: "I want to stress that this was not a perfect election; there were numerous irregularities and systemic problems that need to, and must, be corrected in the future so that Uganda continues on a positive democratic trajectory.

SOURCE: http://www.africareview.com/News/-/979180/1115670/-/hr311mz/-/index.html

UJUMBE HUMU:

Jamani Uganda nako kwaonekana eti uchaguzi huenda ulikua ni kama huku kwetu tu???

Back
Top Bottom