Trump's Insults Will Nudge African Nations Closer To China

Bowie

JF-Expert Member
Sep 17, 2016
Chinese construction workers carry reinforcing rods on a building site in Algiers, Algeria
aa1f785515dc9a715c08593d51967f94.jpg

Last week President Trump reportedly singled out Haiti, El Salvador and African nations as "shithole countries" whose people were not the kind of immigrants the United States wanted. At the time, I happened to be in Serekunda, Gambia's largest urban area, as Trump's slur shocked people across Africa. The anger was palpable.

Trump denied saying it, but the reports led to a cascade of swift condemnation, including a United Nations spokesman describing the president's comments as "racist." The African Union, an organization of 55 nations, expressed "outrage" and said it "strongly believes that there is a huge misunderstanding of the African continent and its people by the current [U.S.] administration."

But as the fallout continues, there is something missing from the conversation: Trump's alleged vulgar insult comes at a time of strategic shift in Africa — toward China. In the past few weeks I have been on the ground in West Africa, and everywhere I have gone I have seen the presence of China.

As America has become an increasingly unwelcoming place for young Africans, they look elsewhere in search of a better life. Last week I visited the Confucius Institute in Dakar, a huge building located on the grounds of Senegal's University of Dakar. I spent time with students from across Africa coming to learn Mandarin as a way to land a dream job in China or take a slice from the growing Chinese presence in every corner of the continent.

In the past, they might have sought to study in Europe or the United States. But those places have put up barriers that make it tough to get student visas. Mamadou Fall, the director of the Dakar Confucius Institute, says that the roughly 500 students it teaches find it nearly impossible to get student visas to the U.S. or Europe. But China is happy to oblige them — it now offers Senegalese students free visas and offers 60 of the brightest students from the institute full scholarships to China each year.

China's mammoth investment in infrastructure is a key part of its arsenal. As part of the One Belt, One Road strategy, the Chinese are building roads, ports, dams, railways and other infrastructure across Africa. These include a metro system in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, and a vital railway connecting landlocked Ethiopia's 100 million people to Djibouti's Red Sea port, where the Chinese plan to open their first military base outside China. In Kenya, they financed the biggest post-colonial infrastructure project in the country: a nearly $4 billion railway linking Nairobi with the country's main Indian Ocean port in Mombasa. China is also building a major train network.

But as the fallout continues, there is something missing from the conversation: Trump's alleged vulgar insult comes at a time of strategic shift in Africa — toward China. In the past few weeks I have been on the ground in West Africa, and everywhere I have gone I have seen the presence of China.

As America has become an increasingly unwelcoming place for young Africans, they look elsewhere in search of a better life. Last week I visited the Confucius Institute in Dakar, a huge building located on the grounds of Senegal's University of Dakar. I spent time with students from across Africa coming to learn Mandarin as a way to land a dream job in China or take a slice from the growing Chinese presence in every corner of the continent.

Senegalese can study Mandarin at the Confucius Institute in Dakar, at Senegal's University of Dakar.
Ismail Einashe for NPR
In the past, they might have sought to study in Europe or the United States. But those places have put up barriers that make it tough to get student visas. Mamadou Fall, the director of the Dakar Confucius Institute, says that the roughly 500 students it teaches find it nearly impossible to get student visas to the U.S. or Europe. But China is happy to oblige them — it now offers Senegalese students free visas and offers 60 of the brightest students from the institute full scholarships to China each year.

China's mammoth investment in infrastructure is a key part of its arsenal. As part of the One Belt, One Road strategy, the Chinese are building roads, ports, dams, railways and other infrastructure across Africa. These include a metro system in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, and a vital railway connecting landlocked Ethiopia's 100 million people to Djibouti's Red Sea port, where the Chinese plan to open their first military base outside China. In Kenya, they financed the biggest post-colonial infrastructure project in the country: a nearly $4 billion railway linking Nairobi with the country's main Indian Ocean port in Mombasa. China is also building a major train network in Nigeria.

China's mammoth investment in infrastructure is a key part of its arsenal.
Attitudes toward the U.S. have changed in Africa since Trump took office, according to a Pew poll in June. Although Trump's strongman act remained popular in Nigeria, the pollster said, "the intensity of positive opinion has waned" in other sub-Saharan countries surveyed, compared with 2015. What's more, Trump's popularity is nowhere near that of previous Republican President George W. Bush.

Trump's comments disparaging Africans, along with his administration's travel ban and the threat to cut aid to African nations that voted in the U.N. against Trump's Jerusalem decision, send a clear message: The United States is retreating from the post-1945 international system it created, taking an "America First" position on global issues. China is stepping into the vacuum created by Trump in Africa — and almost everywhere else.

The danger for the U.S. is that Trump's insulting words make China an even more enticing partner for African nations. This is a moment of opportunity for the Asian giant. Trump's apparent disrespect may push African nations — and the young Africans who represent their future — further into China's arms.

The one area in Africa where America has shown growing interest is the military and counterterrorism front. Trump might be uninterested in Africa's potential, but he has ramped up America's military engagement on the continent. Trump is playing by the usual Africa playbook, which frames the continent as a place of wars, famines and disease rather than a tapestry of nations and cultures. We Africans have long faced the idea of being from an undesirable continent — a place caricatured for centuries for its nightmares and beauty. The Chinese, however, seem to recognize the potential of the fastest-growing continent on the planet.

I felt the sting of the president's words last week. I am from Somalia — one of the "shithole countries." But being on the ground in Africa the past few days, I also felt something else, something that may one day be understood as a turning point. Years from now, when you ask Africans when they lost faith in America, don't be surprised if they tell you it was the day a U.S. president labeled their country a "shithole."

Ismail Einashe (@IsmailEinashe) is a British-Somali freelance journalist.

Kuna umuhimu wa kuhamisha makao makuu ya umoja wa mataifa kutoka Marekani kwasababu Marekani haiwezi kuendelea kuwa taifa lenye ushawishi duniani

Africa can swing and forge strong diplomacy with China however that will not harm America in anyway.
China has been in the continent for decades with construction projects and power generation plants however African countries have made little development compared to Chinese Government vision of affecting the development in African countries.
The rulling class is becoming richer with donor's money but the citizens are becoming poor.
Ten years from now Africans Will be facing the same challenges since 1960's.

The best thing to do is for African governments to have development plans that will change the status of citizens welfare.
Trump will be in power for three or 7 years let's not waste time on him.

Although Africans may call Trump names, Africans themselves are to blame for deserving the name "Shithole".

Despite arguably being the world's richest continent in terms of natural resources, the continent lags badly in development terms owing to poor leadership and lack of technology.

The leaders have in most cases attributed the Continent's continued under development to unrealistic factors like bad economic order, debt burden etc.

Needless to say this continent has for a long time been a home to the ruthless rulers who have been running their respective countries reminiscent of the medieval monarchs, a trend whose end is not on site.

The leadership failure on the continent manifests itself with the way people especially youths are risking their lives to take the perilous voyages to Europe in search of the greener pastures because their leaders have failed to live up to their expectations!

Instead of Africans castigating Mr.Trump for the alleged " racial slur" against them, I think it's the time for the Africans to take the Trump's view of them merely as a challenge so as to spur them to work even harder to bring about tangible and sustainable development to the continent.

The continent that can hardly organise a free, fair and credible elections, that regards corruption as the official government policy, that uses nepotism, loyalty and praise singing as merits for political appointments, has no moral authority to cast the first stone on Trump.

Much as this continent will remain wallowing in penury, no any person with rational mind will ever sympathise with them in respect of the Trump's so called "racial slur" but will rather back his previous comments that "The continent needs to be recolonised".

They're opening their first Military Base outside of China in Djibouti?!, They ain't Playing.

Although Africans may call Trump names, Africans themselves are to blame for deserving the name "Shithole".

Despite arguably being the world's richest continent in terms of natural resources, the continent lags badly in development terms owing to poor leadership and lack of technology.

The leaders have in most cases attributed the Continent's continued under development to unrealistic factors like bad economic order, debt burden etc.

Needless to say this continent has for a long time been a home to the ruthless rulers who have been running their respective countries reminiscent of the medieval monarchs, a trend whose end is not on site.

The leadership failure on the continent manifests itself with the way people especially youths are risking their lives to take the perilous voyages to Europe in search of the greener pastures because their leaders have failed to live up to their expectations!

Instead of Africans castigating Mr.Trump for the alleged " racial slur" against them, I think it's the time for the Africans to take the Trump's view of them merely as a challenge so as to spur them to work even harder to bring about tangible and sustainable development to the continent.

The continent that can hardly organise a free, fair and credible elections, that regards corruption as the official government policy, that uses nepotism, loyalty and praise singing as merits for political appointments, has no moral authority to cast the first stone on Trump.

Much as this continent will remain wallowing in penury, no any person with rational mind will ever sympathise with them in respect of the Trump's so called "racial slur" but will rather back his previous comments that "The continent needs to be recolonised".

"The continent that can hardly organise a free, fair and credible elections, that regards corruption as the official government policy, that uses nepotism, loyalty and praise singing as merits for political appointments, has no moral authority to cast the first stone on Trump"..

Blah blah blah.

Mvuto wa marekani unaendelea kupungua kwa kasi kubwa. China na Eussia zinakua juu.

Sijawahi ona rafiki yeyote wa China na Urusi aliyefanikiwa hapa dunia.Wote wanaambulia maumivu.Rejea North Korea,Cuba ,Tanzania,Zimbabwe zote choka mbaya!

Sijawahi ona rafiki yeyote wa China na Urusi aliyefanikiwa hapa dunia.Wote wanaambulia maumivu.Rejea North Korea,Cuba ,Tanzania,Zimbabwe zote choka mbaya!
Wako very poor kwenye human rights na Democracy

Chinese construction workers carry reinforcing rods on a building site in Algiers, Algeria

Last week President Trump reportedly singled out Haiti, El Salvador and African nations as "shithole countries" whose people were not the kind of immigrants the United States wanted. At the time, I happened to be in Serekunda, Gambia's largest urban area, as Trump's slur shocked people across Africa. The anger was palpable.

Trump denied saying it, but the reports led to a cascade of swift condemnation, including a United Nations spokesman describing the president's comments as "racist." The African Union, an organization of 55 nations, expressed "outrage" and said it "strongly believes that there is a huge misunderstanding of the African continent and its people by the current [U.S.] administration."

China's mammoth investment in infrastructure is a key part of its arsenal. As part of the One Belt, One Road strategy, the Chinese are building roads, ports, dams, railways and other infrastructure across Africa. These include a metro system in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, and a vital railway connecting landlocked Ethiopia's 100 million people to Djibouti's Red Sea port, where the Chinese plan to open their first military base outside China. In Kenya, they financed the biggest post-colonial infrastructure project in the country: a nearly $4 billion railway linking Nairobi with the country's main Indian Ocean port in Mombasa. China is also building a major train network.

Senegalese can study Mandarin at the Confucius Institute in Dakar, at Senegal's University of Dakar.
Ismail Einashe for NPR

China's mammoth investment in infrastructure is a key part of its arsenal. As part of the One Belt, One Road strategy, the Chinese are building roads, ports, dams, railways and other infrastructure across Africa. These include a metro system in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, and a vital railway connecting landlocked Ethiopia's 100 million people to Djibouti's Red Sea port, where the Chinese plan to open their first military base outside China. In Kenya, they financed the biggest post-colonial infrastructure project in the country: a nearly $4 billion railway linking Nairobi with the country's main Indian Ocean port in Mombasa. China is also building a major train network in Nigeria.

China's mammoth investment in infrastructure is a key part of its arsenal.
Attitudes toward the U.S. have changed in Africa since Trump took office, according to a Pew poll in June. Although Trump's strongman act remained popular in Nigeria, the pollster said, "the intensity of positive opinion has waned" in other sub-Saharan countries surveyed, compared with 2015. What's more, Trump's popularity is nowhere near that of previous Republican President George W. Bush.

Trump's comments disparaging Africans, along with his administration's travel ban and the threat to cut aid to African nations that voted in the U.N. against Trump's Jerusalem decision, send a clear message: The United States is retreating from the post-1945 international system it created, taking an "America First" position on global issues. China is stepping into the vacuum created by Trump in Africa — and almost everywhere else.

The danger for the U.S. is that Trump's insulting words make China an even more enticing partner for African nations. This is a moment of opportunity for the Asian giant. Trump's apparent disrespect may push African nations — and the young Africans who represent their future — further into China's arms.

The one area in Africa where America has shown growing interest is the military and counterterrorism front. Trump might be uninterested in Africa's potential, but he has ramped up America's military engagement on the continent. Trump is playing by the usual Africa playbook, which frames the continent as a place of wars, famines and disease rather than a tapestry of nations and cultures. We Africans have long faced the idea of being from an undesirable continent — a place caricatured for centuries for its nightmares and beauty. The Chinese, however, seem to recognize the potential of the fastest-growing continent on the planet.

I felt the sting of the president's words last week. I am from Somalia — one of the "shithole countries." But being on the ground in Africa the past few days, I also felt something else, something that may one day be understood as a turning point. Years from now, when you ask Africans when they lost faith in America, don't be surprised if they tell you it was the day a U.S. president labeled their country a "shithole."

Ismail Einashe (@IsmailEinashe) is a British-Somali freelance journalist.

Use your head. If USA president said something detrimental to America, why would American media be too happy to publicize that?

Msamaha wake huu kwa Jack hauwezi kutusahulisha lugha yake chafu. Lazima aombe radhi na afute kauli yake. Hapo atafikiriwa kama atasamehewa ama la!
====
US President Donald Trump may overturn a century-old conviction which saw the first African American heavyweight boxing champion of the world who many believe was locked up on a racially-motivated charge.
5adc7320fc7e93ff528b4595.jpeg

Trump mulls pardon of KO boxing legend Jack Johnson - but who was he?

Jamaa wanatenda kibao kule (aljeria) Yaani miundo mbinu barabara na majego walipata tenda nyingi. Na barabara za maana haswa, Yaani kutoka Tlemcen mpaka Oran pale mchina kapiga ela ndefu...!

Back
Top Bottom