Transfer news...

Diouf facing season in Blackburn reserves

Published 23:00 29/05/11 By Alan Nixon - EXCLUSIVE

blackburn-el-hadji-diouf-cropped

Blackburn boss Steve Kean will show El-Hadji Diouf the exit door when he returns from his loan spell at Rangers.
Kean plans to sit down the Senegalese star and spell out to him that he will not be getting many games in the upcoming season, when he'll be in the last year of his contract.
Diouf was sent into exile in Glasgow in the middle of the Rovers' relegation fight as Kean promoted young players such as Junior Hoilett and Martin Olsson, and he now faces a year in the reserves.
"He is going to find himself a bit further down the pecking order as far as the starting XI goes," said Kean. "I don't know if that is going to suit him."I will be honest and say, 'You won't be ahead of Martin, Junior or Brett Emerton.' If it's not for him, we will see what's going to be sorted out."
Diouf would like to go back to Rangers, but the Scottish champions will struggle to pay his wages, so there could be a lot of negotiation ahead before Blackburn can move him out.

Barcelona 3-1 Manchester United: Daily Mirror Champions League final player ratings

Published 23:00 29/05/11 By David McDonnell

lionel-messi-antonio-valencia-barcelona-manchester-united-champions-league-final-cropped

When Barcelona's carousel came to a halt at Wembley, Manchester United were feeling queasy after losing the Champions League final, 3-1.
Read Daily Mirror chief football writer Martin Lipton;s match report here
Barca were brilliant and United not so much, but who were the heroes and villains of the big night?
BARCELONA

Victor Valdes: United's failure to create any goal threats - Wayne Rooney's strike aside - meant a quiet night for the Barca keeper. Could do nothing to stop Rooney's superb, curling finish for United's equaliser. 7
Dani Alves: Didn't push forward with his usual aggression and pace, playing with more control and defensive discipline. Was untroubled by the failure of United's attackers to threaten down his side. 7
Gerard Pique: The former United defender has matured into one of the world's best centre-backs. Exuded a calm authority all night and even found time to push forward in attack. Imperious. 8
Javier Mascherano: Deployed as an emergency centre-half once again because Carles Puyol was unfit, he never looked entirely comfortable in the role and relied on Pique to rescue him on several occasions. 6
Eric Abidal: Fitting that he lifted the trophy just weeks after undergoing treatment for cancer. Missed the 2009 final through suspension but didn't put a foot wrong at Wembley. Inspirational player. 7
Sergio Busquets: The ugly side of Barca's beauty. He played the role of spoiler to great effect, while those around him created magic. Showed churlish side in pressuring ref to book United players. 6
Xavi: That majestic pass to Pedro for Barca's opener typified his stunning display. Afforded time and space to wreak havoc with his remarkable vision and execution of passing. A sublime talent. 9
Andres Iniesta: As with Xavi, United's midfield stood off him too often, allowing him to dictate the tempo and pattern of play without ever being put under pressure. Provided the assist for Messi's goal. 9
Pedro: Timed his run to perfection for Barca's opener and beat Edwin van der Sar with an assured near-post finish. Underrated among the likes of Messi and Xavi but a pivotal man. 8
David Villa: Fergie tried to buy him last summer and his exquisite finish for Barca's third goal showed just why. Noted for his goals but his work-rate and running off the ball was impressive. 8
Lionel Messi: What more can be said about the world's best player? Tormented United with his peerless pace, trickery and movement, and beat Van der Sar with a wondrous strike. Breathtaking display. 10
Subs: Keita for Villa (86mins): Added an extra body in Barca's midfield. Not that they needed it. Puyol for Alves (88mins): Token appearance by captain with game already won. Affellay for Pedro (90mins): Came on to merely wind the clock down.
MANCHESTER UNITED
Edwin van der Sar: Not the outcome he wanted on his farewell appearance. Beaten at his near post for the opener, stunned by the ferocity of Messi's strike and could do nothing to stop Villa's cracker. 6
Fabio Da Silva: Started brightly, full of energy and purpose, and played a role in Rooney's equaliser. But faded like his team-mates and, after suffering from cramp, was replaced by Nani. 5
Rio Ferdinand: One of the few United players to emerge with credit. Made a series of crucial challenges but, like his fellow defenders, was too often exposed by the shortcomings of his midfield. 7
Nemanja Vidic: Like Ferdinand, saved United from a more humiliating scoreline with some key last-ditch challenges. Gave everything he had to the cause. Frequently let down by Evra. 7
Patrice Evra: Frequently caught out of position and sucked inside, he fell well short of the standard required. Must be relieved he signed a new contract midway through the season. 4
Antonio Valencia: Amazing that it took him seven fouls before earning a booking. Clumsy in possession, the six months out with a career-threatening ankle injury looked like they caught up with him. 4
Ryan Giggs: Craved anonymity in his personal life and achieved it on the pitch. Game passed him by, assist for Rooney aside. Barca's dynamic midfield made him look every one of his 37 years. 5
Michael Carrick: Spent most of the night looking at Messi's back, tracking him in vain. Like Giggs, was made to look embarrassingly ordinary by the exceptional standards of his opposite numbers. 5
Ji-Sung Park: Ran around with typical industry and commitment, and won a few tackles early on, but was no match for Barca's slick passing and quick interplay. Moved inside but to no avail. 5
Wayne Rooney: Impressive build-up play and sublime finish for equaliser that gave United false hope. Played with a spirit and passion few of his team-mates were able to match but it was not enough. 7
Javier Hernandez: Plays on shoulder of defenders but was caught offside so often it was embarrassing. Has had a fine debut season but was completely anonymous at Wembley and rarely touched the ball. 4
Subs: Nani for Fabio (69mins): Gave the ball away within seconds of coming on for Villa to score Barca's third. 4
Scholes for Carrick (77mins): Sad way for his United career to end, if it proves to be his final appearance. 4

EXCLUSIVE: Spurs willing to sell Modric AND Bale

Published 23:02 30/05/11 By Darren Lewis

tottenham-bale-modric-cropped

Tottenham are willing to cash in on star playmaker Luka Modric at the right price - but would only allow Gareth Bale to leave for a staggering £50million.
The north Londoners have so far been adamant that the 25-year-old Croatian is going nowhere amid interest from Chelsea and, more significantly, Manchester United.
But privately, MirrorFootball understands, they would allow Modric to leave if they were to receive an offer of £20m-£25m from a Champions League club.
The revelation is eye-catching, given that they themselves paid £16m for him three years ago and also given that the club are going to be battling to break back into the top four.

In 2008, Modric signed a six-year contract and, such have been the quality of his performances, he signed another improved six-year deal 12 months ago.
Speaking earlier this month, the versatile midfielder said: "‘You can't predict things in football because anything can happen. But I am enjoying it here.
"The fans are amazing, the club is amazing. There are Croatians here. I really do enjoy it here.
"I'm not missing anything. I think this club can achieve a lot of great things. I think we can challenge for the Premier League and the cups.
"Like I said, you never know what is going to happen. You can say you are staying and then you leave. But I am happy here and I am not thinking about leaving."
Tottenham have already had approaches for Bale, with Manchester United being linked with the 21-year-old following his heroics in the Champions League.
But Spurs are demanding top dollar for the Welsh wonder, who is also raid to be on the radar of the likes of Juventus and Inter Milan.
Should they receive an offer they cannot refuse, Tottenham would use the cash to reinvest in the team with striker Leandro Damiao of Brazilian side Internacional among those on their hit-list.

EXCLUSIVE: Friedel to replace Gomes in Spurs side

Published 23:01 30/05/11 By Alan Nixon

Aston-Villa-Blackpool-Brad-Friedel-Premier-League+cropped

Veteran keeper Brad Friedel will sign for Tottenham - and go straight into Harry Redknapp's side at the grand old age of 40.
The American star is going to take up a dream two-year contract at White Hart Lane, despite the chance of a similar deal with Liverpool, because it gives him a greater opportunity to play.
Spurs will have a vacancy for Friedel, who was offered a one-year extension by Aston Villa and turned down an approach from West Brom, because Redknapp wants to offload error-ridden Heurelho Gomes.
Friedel has been stunned by the amount of interest in him and took his time to go through the options. Tottenham are getting his vote because of the whole package on offer, as well as the opportunity to stay at the top.

Kenny Dalglish wanted to take Friedel back to Anfield, where he was a player from 1997-2000, but it would have meant only a handful of games and the eventual chance to do some coaching.
Friedel, who turned 40 on the last day of the Premier League season, has stayed fit and thinks he can carry on at the best level possible - even if it means moving from the midlands to London.
With almost 450 games at the top in England under his belt, Friedel could reach 500 appearances if he avoids injury over the next two seasons.
Redknapp has gone for Friedel because he wants a steady hand after Gomes' displays.
He already has Carlo Cudicini as cover and will use the cash raised by selling the Brazilian on other areas of the side.

Chelsea to keep Drogba but sell Anelka

Published 23:01 30/05/11 By Alan Nixon - EXCLUSIVE

drogba-anelka-chelsea-cropped

Chelsea supremo Roman Abramovich wants to keep Didier Drogba - but Nicolas Anelka faces the Stamford Bridge exit.
The Blues' Russian ruler is fielding interest in veteran hitman Drogba personally in the absence of either a manager or director of football at the club - but his preference is to keep the long-serving star.
Turkish giants Galatasaray are interested in Drogba and will offer him a lucrative final pay-day, while Tottenham chief Harry Redknapp is also keen if the deal is right.
But the word from the top at Chelsea is that Drogba will be kept on Abramovich's orders - so the next coach will have to work out how the Ivorian and Fernando Torres can play together.

French star Anelka looks to be the dressing-room fall-guy for the club's failure to land a trophy in the past season and will be sold if the right bid comes in.
Anelka has had a successful spell at Chelsea, but his days as a first-choice striker are over. While he may be prepared to go, his wages will intimidate likely bidders.
Abramovich knows there are some big issues to be solved in his side's attack for next season following the record capture of Torres.
Chelsea hope to have a boss installed in the next 10 days - with Guus Hiddink the main target and Redknapp the alternative - and there is also the question of bids for Sergio Aguero and Brazilian Neymar to be put to bed.
England Under-21 ace Daniel Sturridge also needs to know where he stands, with Bolton already in talks about taking him back for a second spell on loan.

Barcelona ready to bid £30million for Fabregas

Published 23:01 30/05/11 By John Cross

messi-fabregas-barcelona-arsenal-cropped

Barcelona boss Pep Guardiola has launched this summer's attempt to sign Arsenal captain Cesc Fabregas.
Guardiola has urged sporting director Andoni Zubizarreta and president Sandro Rosell to go all-out to sign Fabregas and make Barcelona's Champions League winners even better.
Barcelona have already agreed a £35million deal to sign Villarreal's former Manchester United striker Giuseppe Rossi and Guardiola is determined to get Fabregas.
But Barcelona do face a financial struggle to get Fabregas, especially as, even though the Spanish midfielder has made it clear that if he leaves Arsenal then it would only be for the Nou Camp, there is also strong interest from Manchester City.

Arsenal will do everything to rebuff Barcelona's interest, which is likely to start around the £30m mark, but there is a feeling that if a huge offer, of around £50m, came in then they might be tempted to do business.
City boss Roberto Mancini's admiration of Fabregas has already been documented, and their wealth could force the player's value up - and leave Barcelona struggling to compete.
Amid Barcelona's Champions league final celebrations, veteran defender Carles Puyol made it clear the players want the club to sign Fabregas.
"I am convinced that Cesc will soon be playing with us," he said.
Guardiola wants to make it happen as well, as he looks to make the best even better, and Zubizarreta and Rosell are now set to begin their operation to try and land Fabregas.
It would represent another attempt by Barca to keep Guardiola happy, as the coach dropped hints after their Wembley win that he may quit in a year's time.
Rosell is determined to keep his coach and ensure Barcelona win more silverware.
Guardiola would be a target for Chelsea and Manchester United in the future, while 2022 World Cup hosts Qatar want to make him a megabucks offer to be national-team boss.
Rosell added: "Pep is with us and that is for sure. The money will not change his decisions."
Disaster if Arsenal don't win a trophy next season - Wilshere

Blackburn star warned against joining Liverpool

Published 23:01 30/05/11 By Alan Nixon - EXCLUSIVE

phil-jones-blackburn-cropped

Blackburn starlet Phil Jones has been told to stay away from a top-four super power just now – by boss Steve Kean.
England Under-21 centre-half Jones is wanted by Liverpool and Arsenal, with Tottenham and even Manchester City among his list of admirers as Rovers fear a massive bid.
But Kean is pleading with Jones to stay with his local club where he can make better progress as a regular rather than risk a fight for a game at a giant outfit.
“I don’t know if Phil would go straight into the team at a Champions League club," said Kean. "And he wants to play. He wants to be a central defender - where he is looking fantastic.

“He is also a supporter and it’s great for the fans to see one of their own playing. He was outstanding at the end of the season.
“You always brace yourself for bids - we have had offers before for him and I am sure there will be solid ones in again. He will move on some time, but I can see him being captain here first.”
Jones is expected to cause a stir with England in the European Under-21 finals next month and Kean added: “He is a Rolls-Royce, he is a fantastic player and is bound to attract interest.
“He plays like a 28-year-old, he’s got experience and calmness and when needed he has got that turn of pace.”

Code:
Mkuu nakuaminia

You are blessed in so many ways..........................

Paul Scholes retires and takes Manchester United coaching role

• 36-year-old will join Old Trafford coaching staff next season
• Scholes: A video appreciation of his career

• Katy Murrells and agencies
  • guardian.co.uk, Tuesday 31 May 2011 09.21 BST
    Paul-Scholes-007.jpg
    Paul Scholes's precise role within the Manchester United coaching setup has yet to be defined. Photograph: Richard Sellers/Sportsphoto/Sportsphoto Ltd./Allstar

After a Manchester United first-team career spanning 17 years and 676 appearances, Paul Scholes has announced his retirement with immediate effect. There had been speculation about the 36-year-old's future in the past few weeks after he became increasingly dissatisfied with his bit-part role, and he will now take up a coaching position at Old Trafford from next season.
    The famously shy midfielder said: "I am not a man of many words but I can honestly say that playing football is all I have ever wanted to do. To have had such a long and successful career at Manchester United has been a real honour. To have been part of the team that helped the club reach a record 19th title is a great privilege.
    "This was not a decision I have taken lightly but I feel now is the right time for me to stop playing. I would like to thank the fans for their tremendous support throughout my career, I would also like to thank all the coaches and players that I have worked with over the years.
    "But most of all I would like to thank Sir Alex [Ferguson] for being such a great manager. From the day I joined the club his door has always been open and I know this team will go on to win many more trophies under his leadership."
    A member of the famed class of '92, who won the FA Youth Cup, Scholes made his debut in 1994, and his last game was Saturday's Champions League final defeat to Barcelona. He won 10 Premier League titles and, after missing the 1999 Champions League final through suspension, was part of the team that beat Chelsea in the Moscow final of 2008.
    "What more can I say about Paul Scholes that I haven't said before?" Ferguson said. "We are going to miss a truly unbelievable player. Paul has always been fully committed to this club and I am delighted he will be joining the coaching staff. Paul has always been inspirational to players of all ages and we know that will continue."
    Scholes's precise role within the United coaching setup has still to be confirmed, although there could be an opening available with the reserves, where Warren Joyce has been acting alone since the departure of Ole Gunnar Solskjaer. The former England international will also be granted a testimonial, which will take place in August.
    Wayne Rooney said Scholes is the best player he has ever played with. "He will be missed greatly," Rooney said. "He is definitely the best player I have played with. I tried to ask him what he was doing but you don't get much out of him.
    "I didn't think it would come this quickly. Everyone will be sad to see him stop. He is a great player."
    "It is a very sad day for Manchester United fans around the world," David Gill, the United chief executive, said. "Paul has established himself as one of the greatest players to ever wear the United shirt. It is very important that the club keeps the association with these great players and we are delighted that Paul will join the coaching staff."

Barcelona's looming shadow may spoil Sir Alex Ferguson's sunset years

Manchester United's manager faces a dark spell at the end of a stellar career if Barça continue to dominate European football

• Sir-Alex-Ferguson-007.jpg
    Sir Alex Ferguson may find it hard to rebuild a Manchester United team capable of competing with Barcelona's current crop. Photograph: Nick Potts/PA

A Manchester United without Sir Alex Ferguson in charge feels as much an absurdity as, in the end, an inevitability. It is the measure of his command and achievements that the manager's intention to press on with the rebuilding of the squad is taken for granted. It is one of his admirable feats that ageist attitudes are kept quiet in his presence. Nonetheless, the manager turns 70 at the end of this year and while that does not make a person venerable any more he might still be stuck in the very early days of framing an answer to Barcelona.
    Ferguson has never been a run‑of-the-mill manager, but it will be extraordinary even by his standards if he is dominant with United four or five seasons from now. The course taken by, for instance, Giovanni Trapattoni, is more conventional. The 72-year-old has had his setbacks and been sacked more than once, but the trajectory of his career makes sense. Having won the European Cup, the Cup-Winners' Cup, the Uefa Cup and domestic league titles in four countries, Trapattoni now presides over the Republic of Ireland, who are one of the three sides level on points at the head of Group B in the Euro 2012 qualifiers.
    That sort of path has never appealed to Ferguson. He may have been deterred fast. After the death of Jock Stein at Cardiff in 1985 international management was foisted on him, although he combined the duties with his work at Aberdeen. It must have been a joy for him to stand down, since Scotland were eliminated after taking one point and scoring a single goal in three games at the World Cup finals in Mexico.
    The immersion in the life of a club looks essential to him. It is inconceivable to think of him being disconnected from United for an instant. Ferguson's undisputed command postpones discussion of the succession. While he has the company of all other managers in being at a loss to know how to counter Pep Guardiola's side, time is against him. It could be that matters will go wrong at Camp Nou, especially since the coach is resolved to leave next summer, but rivals, in essence, must settle and wait for decline at Barcelona.
    While Ferguson's intention to press on with the reshaping of his squad is known, the names linked with him in the transfer market do not, on the whole, sound like equivalents to Lionel Messi, Andrés Iniesta, Xavi or Sergio Busquets. United, of course, did no worse than anyone else against Barcelona. The tantalising fact is that United, with three Champions League finals in four years, are the closest rivals to the Catalan club but still far from their standard.
    Unless Ferguson can last for many more seasons, instead of an extra few years, he may, so far as European competition goes, feel that he is on the margins. It is in his nature to commit himself to the challenge of regaining mastery. He might even pull it off, but such an outcome would probably be contingent on disruption at Barcelona. Guardiola sounds adamant about walking away next summer, but it is not beyond possibility that the replacement will be outstanding.
    This could be the hardest struggle that United and other clubs at their level have faced in decades. By comparison, Chelsea's impact in the mid-2000s led to little more than setbacks and some regrouping before Ferguson's squad returned to the fore. The current phase of the Premier League's history may also apply pressure. Manchester City, for instance, are no longer at any risk of being considered laughable now that they have so much money and a manager as straight-faced as Roberto Mancini.
    Chelsea, too, are likely to be revitalised before long. Ferguson has seen the rise and, always, the fall of challengers. He may be unique in securing what appears to be the right to determine the timing of his retirement. The owners, in particular, should dote on an employee who lives uncomplainingly within the budgets that apply at a club they have loaded with debt.
    None of that, however, can postpone an eventual succession. If the shadows of the Barcelona ascendancy go on falling over European football, then Ferguson will have a dark spell at the close of a wonderful career. He will not be going in the near future, but it is intriguing to think of, say, José Mourinho being installed at Old Trafford in a couple of years. His Real Madrid side have not overcome Barcelona either, but he still looks the one candidate to match the authority of Ferguson.
    This article has been amended since first publication

I will not quit United - Berbatov

Published 23:00 01/06/11 By David Anderson

Manchester-United-Fulham-Dimitar-Berbatov-Premier-League+cropped

Dimitar Berbatov insists he wants to stay at Manchester United - despite his Champions League final snub.
Berbatov, 30, claims being dropped from United's squad for their defeat to Barcelona at Wembley has only made him more determined to win back his place.
He says he is not interested in leaving Old Trafford, even though United have yet to open contract talks on a new deal.
Newcastle, Bayern Munich and Borussia Dortmund are all keen on the Bulgarian striker, but he says his only focus is preparing for next season.

"I will stay," said Berbatov, who was the Premier League's joint-top scorer last season. "I will stay and help the team fight for the 20th title.
"If I were an easy quitter, I would never have made it this far. There will be new finals and we will be fighting for new titles. I am moving ahead. When you go through difficult times, you should not quit.
"Everything at Manchester United starts from scratch for me on July 4."
Berbatov: I watched Champions League final on telly in the dressing room

Everton prepare ambitious bid for German World Cup star

Published 10:49 02/06/11 By David Anderson

Miroslav+Klose-Germany+cropped

David Moyes is putting together an ambitious bid for German striker Miroslav Klose.
Klose will be a free agent this summer when his contract with Bayern Munich ends and Moyes feels he could boost Everton's flagging firepower.
Moyes has yet to finalise his summer budget with Blues chairman Bill Kenwright, but is hopeful of putting together a competitive offer for Klose.
Everton face tough competition for the 32-year-old if they can table a two-year deal and Juventus and Valencia are keen, while Tottenham boss Harry Redknapp is also aware of Klose's situation.

Transfer news, rumours and gossip from Thursday's papers

Published 09:10 02/06/11 By Football Spy

PaperTalk.jpg

Transfer rumours from today's Daily Mirror
Liverpool eyeing up £16m-rated Henderson
I will not quit United - Berbatov
United target opts to join Bayern instead

Fergie axes Wes Brown after 13 years
Tottenham set to beat Villa to French centre-half
Spurs midfielder set for £7m move to Italy
AC Milan are chasing Drogba AND Adebayor
Boateng fee dispute blocking City's Cahill deal
Wenger claims Arsenal are 95% there - but do need to get taller
Wigan accept they will have to sell McCarthy
Wigan lining up £3m move for La Liga star
West Ham defender fancies move to Denmark
Bolton stick to their guns over Al Habsi fee
Birmingham plotting raid on relegation rivals
Norwich release trio
Blackpool defender Crainey on the move
Manager news and gossip
Villa hand Houllier £2.5m pay-off and hunt Hughes
Cardiff target former Premier League boss
Manager news and gossip from other papers
Guus Hiddink is ready to quit Turkey and take the Chelsea job (The Sun)
Transfer rumours from other papers and websites
Palermo claim they have rejected a £33million Chelsea bid for winger Javier Pastore (Talksport)
..Because they want £44million for him (Daily Mail)
...The Blues have held talks with Tottenham over the sale of Luka Modric (The Times)

..While AC Milan will pay £11m for Didier Drogba (Daily Star)
Real Madrid are targeting Arsenal 's Cesc Fabregas to keep him away from Barcelona (El Mundo Deportivo)
Inter Milan also want Fabregas if Wesley Sneijder leaves for Manchester United (Metro)
Fabregas will put in a transfer request when he returns from holiday in the USA, and Barcelona will bid for him (Sport)
Arsene Wenger says Samir Nasri will not be sold to Manchester United (The Times)
Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain 's dad has urged Arsenal to bid for the Southampton winger as soon as possible (Telegraph)
Liverpool are concerned that Manchester United might muscle in on their bid for Sunderland' s Jordan Henderson , and are also targeting Aston Villa 's Stewart Downing and Wigan 's Charles N'Zogbia (Independent)
Arsenal, Spurs and Manchester City have been alerted that Real Madrid could sell Gonzalo Higuain for £15million (Daily Mail)
Real want City's Emmanuel Adebayor but will only pay around £12million (Metro)
AC Milan 's Zlatan Ibrahimovic has snubbed a potential move to Eastlands (Talksport)
Everton, Newcastle and Celtic are battling for Reading's Shane Long (The Sun)
Everton are favourites to sign West Ham 's Demba Ba (The Sun)
..As Big Sam ponders bringing in Blackburn 's El-Hadji Diouf (Daily Mail)
West Ham flop Pablo Barrera is wanted by Espanyol (Talksport)
Tottenham want close to £15m for Napoli target Wilson Palacios (Daily Mail)
..But Spurs target Giuseppe Rossi will move from Villarreal to Barcelona instead (The Times)
Bolton are still set to sign Swansea's Darren Pratley , despite Swans' promotion to Premier League (The Sun)
Norwich lead Everton, Wigan and QPR in chase for Peterborough 's Craig Mackail-Smith (Daily Mail)
...And the Canaries will name a fourth bid for Millwall striker Steve Morison , after having a £2.6m offer turned down yesterday (The Sun)
Newcastle, Blackburn and Wigan all linked with Auxerre full-back Cedric Hengbart (Daily Mail)
Toulouse have rejected a Newcastle bid for full-back M'Bengue Cheikh (The Sun)
But Alan Pardew expects to tie up the signings of Lorient forward Kevin Gameiro and Lille midfielder Yohan Cabaye next week (The Times)
Fulham have bid £1million for teenage Bournemouth striker Danny Ings (The Sun)
...And are also looking at teen Sheffield United striker Jordan Slew (Daily Mail)
...Though Stephen Kelly is ready to quit Craven Cottage (Express)
QPR have been quoted a price of £4m for Fulham's Andy Johnson . West Brom are also in for him (Daily Mail)
Neil Warnock is also after Reading winger Jimmy Kebe (The Sun)
Craig Bellamy won't be the next Cardiff manager but could go back on a second loan spell (Daily Mail)
Middlesbrough are bringing in Dutch forward Anouar Hadouir on a free from Roda JC (Daily Mail)
Nottingham Forest skipper Paul McKenna is wanted by old club Preston (The Sun)

Tottenham's Harry Redknapp closer to signing West Ham's Scott Parker

• Deal would be helped by sale of Wilson Palacios
• Hopes of signing Leandro Damião appear stalled

• David Hytner
  • guardian.co.uk, Friday 3 June 2011 22.00 BST <li class="history">Article history
    Scott-Parker-the-West-Ham-007.jpg
    Scott Parker, the West Ham United midfielder, could cost Tottenham Hotspur around £8m. Photograph: Dominic Lipinski/PA

Harry Redknapp is closing in on the capture of Scott Parker from West Ham United and the deal is expected to be completed once the sale of Wilson Palacios is agreed. The Tottenham Hotspur manager may also welcome the 21-year-old Brazil striker Leandro Damião, although the deal is being driven by the chairman, Daniel Levy, with Redknapp thought to prefer a more experienced signing.
    Levy has offered £11m to Internacional for Damião, which has been rejected and the Brazilian club, with whom Tottenham have a commercial partnership and from where they signed the midfielder Sandro, intend to keep the player until the end of the year. The Brazilian championship ends in the first week of December. If Levy, though, were to raise the bid to nearer £18m, Internacional could be persuaded to sell this summer.
    Damião has also been linked to Arsenal, Barcelona, Roma and Benfica and Arsène Wenger, the Arsenal manager, is expected to watch him play for Brazil in the Copa America, which is scheduled for 1-24 July. Much will depend on how Damião performs in South America's major international tournament.
    Redknapp, who has completed the Bosman signing of Brad Friedel after the goalkeeper's contract expired at Aston Villa, has made no secret of his admiration for Parker. The 30-year-old, who is valued at £8m, will leave West Ham after their relegation from the Premier League and Redknapp heads the queue to sign him.
    The task will be made easier for Redknapp when he has sold Palacios, who is a target for Napoli. The £12m signing from Wigan Athletic has struggled for form. The midfielder Jermaine Jenas also faces an uncertain future at White Hart Lane.
    Redknapp is delighted with the signing of Friedel, describing the 40-year-old as a "fantastic professional" and he said the American's arrival should not spell the end for Heurelho Gomes. Tottenham's third-choice goalkeeper from this past season, Stipe Pletikosa, has returned to Spartak Moscow after the Russian club demanded a fee to make his loan move permanent, which Tottenham were not prepared to pay, and Redknapp said he needs three senior goalkeepers.
    Gomes, though, has only a year to run on his contract and has been linked with a move back to PSV Eindhoven. Tottenham last month gave the back-up goalkeeper Carlo Cudicini a new one-year contract.
    Redknapp wants to give the central defender Jonathan Woodgate a pay-as-you-play deal and he intends to discuss the matter with Levy. The chairman, though, is nervous about keeping Woodgate because of his well-documented injury problems.

Fulham did not match Mark Hughes's ambitions, says Kia Joorabchian

• 'Ambitious' Hughes eyeing Chelsea or Spurs management
• Agent also handling Carlos Tevez's Manchester City future

• Jamie Jackson
  • guardian.co.uk, Friday 3 June 2011 20.12 BST <li class="history">Article history
    Mark-Hughess-adviser-Kia--007.jpg
    Mark Hughes's adviser, Kia Joorabchian, says Fulham did not meet the Welshman's ambitions. Photograph: Matthew Lewis/Getty Images

Mark Hughes resigned as Fulham manager because the club did not match his ambitions and not because he expected to take the vacant Aston Villa job, according to his representative, Kia Joorabchian.
    Hughes activated a break clause in his contract to walk away from Craven Cottage on Thursday after a single season in charge but Villa said they are not interested in his services.
    Joorabchian told Sky Sports News: "He's an ambitious manager. One of the things he looked for at the end of the season was to see if there was an ambition for Fulham to go to the next level. Mark left Fulham because he wanted to explore his aspirations, [he] wants to go to a club where he can fight for titles and win championships.
    "He gave Fulham everything he possible could in [his] one year and he wanted to be honest with them, rather than them spend in the transfer window buying players that he would recommend and then he comes to leave in November or December or January – the middle of the year."
    Regarding Villa Joorabchian said: "There's a lot of press speculation saying that certain jobs are available or coming to be available and Mark [would take them]. This is not true. Mark left Fulham because he wanted to go in a different direction. Villa have their own direction."
    Joorabchian denied that Hughes had agreed a new contract with Fulham only to change his mind 24 hours later but he suggested that, if the club had offered him a new one earlier, then Hughes might still be their manager. "Contract talks started probably a week, two weeks before the end of the season. But it was only five or six days ago when something was placed in front of him," he said.
    John Terry has said he would welcome Hughes as the replacement for Carlo Ancelotti as Chelsea manager and Joorabchian said the Welshman would be "honoured" regarding any potential approach. "Mark has aspirations to manage [at a club like Chelsea] – I'm sure that if they approach [him] Mark would be more than happy to speak with them, it would be an honour for him," he said, adding that, if Harry Redknapp left Tottenham Hotspur for Chelsea, Hughes would also be interested in managing Spurs. "These are big clubs – Mark would be more than happy to be manager of any those clubs."
    Joorabchian also represents Carlos Tevez, whose future at Manchester City is in doubt and who told Argentinian radio last month that he wants to leave. His former partner, who did not embrace life in England, lives with his daughters in Buenos Aires and Tevez wants them to join him. He has been exploring whether they would do so in Spain or Italy.
    "It's difficult to talk about offers. Carlos is a big player who will attract big clubs," Joorabchian said. "He personally has had a very good season at City. He's happy with the situation at City. I think it all boils down to his family. If they feel comfortable about moving to Manchester, then there's every chance he will stay at Manchester.
    "He was one of the first to join this project. He had ambitions to get City to the Champions League and to win a trophy. He has helped them do that."

Fulham hoping to lure Martin Jol with personal touch and a big salary

&#8226; Jol on shortlist for Fulham and Aston Villa jobs
&#8226; Steve McClaren keen to return to the Premier League

• David Hytner and Stuart James
  • guardian.co.uk, Friday 3 June 2011 22.00 BST <li class="history">Article history
    Ajax-Amsterdams-Dutch-coa-007.jpg
    Fulham are said to be worried that Maritin Jol might sign for Aston Villa. Photograph: Jeff Pachoud/AFP/Getty Images

Martin Jol wants to return to the Premier League and he holds the key to the managerial searches at Fulham and Aston Villa, with the London club appearing his more likely destination.
    The Dutchman is aware that he features prominently on the shortlists at both clubs, who are in the market for a manager after parting company with Mark Hughes and Gérard Houllier respectively. Jol, the former Tottenham Hotspur manager, was close to moving to Fulham last summer, after Roy Hodgson departed for Liverpool, only for Ajax, his then club, to block the deal.
    Fulham have since remained in contact with Jol, which has flattered him, and they hope the personal touch, allied to their ability to grant him a huge salary, will give them the edge.
    Villa are believed to have Steve McClaren in their thoughts and the former England manager would jump at the opportunity to join them. But, together with the outsider, Roberto Martínez of Wigan Athletic, McClaren appears to be behind Jol in the reckoning. There have been suggestions that a candidate who has so far remained under the radar could yet come to the fore at Villa Park, with Owen Coyle of Bolton Wanderers having been mentioned. Coyle, however, has not been approached at this stage.
    Villa maintain that Hughes is not under consideration for the vacancy, despite figures within the game seeing more than coincidence in the timing of his resignation from Fulham. He activated the break clause in his contract on Wednesday night, roughlyan hour after Villa had confirmed Houllier's departure and just before the expiry of the clause at midnight. He will leave the club as a free agent on 30 June.
    The theory runs that Hughes would not have walked out if he did not have a job to go to and it is understood he thought the Villa job was his. Villa, however, were distinctly unimpressed with the way Hughes handled his departure at Fulham and insist he no longer features in their thoughts.
    Hughes's representative, Kia Joorabchian, said his client resigned because Fulham did not match his ambitions and not because he expects to take the Villa job. "One of the things he looked for at the end of the season was to see if there was an ambition for Fulham to go to the next level. Mark left Fulham because he wanted to explore his aspirations. [He] wants to go to a club where he can fight for titles and win championships."
    Fulham fear Jol could go to Villa, as it is the bigger club but they will again do their best to take him to Craven Cottage. He was their No1 choice last summer to succeed Hodgson, ahead of Hughes, and showed his intention to join them by agreeing personal terms in principle on a three-year contract. Ajax, though, refused to release him. Fulham's anger at what they perceive to have been a betrayal by Hughes has been best reflected by Fayed. He sent a message to each one of his first-team players to stress that the success of this past season had been a team effort, with the subtext being that Hughes's loss was of no concern.
    Fayed, though, is looking forward and he has been inundated with applications for the vacant post. Avram Grant and Chris Hughton have been among the managers to show an interest. Martin O'Neill and McClaren have also been touted.

• Liverpool plan summer clearance sale to fund top-quality signings

• Milan Jovanovic heads highly paid who may leave Anfield
    • Approach is made for Sunderland's Jordan Henderson

• Andy Hunter
    • guardian.co.uk, Thursday 2 June 2011 21.00 BST
      Milan-Jovanovic-007.jpg
      Milan Jovanovic, who joined Liverpool from Standard Liège last July on a free transfer, is paid £120,000 a week and started only five Premier League games last season. Photograph: Michael Mayhew-Sportsphoto/Michael Mayhew

Liverpool's owner, Fenway Sports Group, is anxious to rid the club's wage bill of several expensive transfer errors this summer to maximise Kenny Dalglish's budget for "highest quality" signings.
      FSG has sanctioned a substantial outlay on recruits at Anfield, with an approach having been made for Sunderland's Jordan Henderson and interest in the Aston Villa pair of Stewart Downing and Ashley Young expected to develop after their commitments with England. While FSG is willing to spend heavily on transfer fees it is, however, reluctant to increase an already inflated wage bill and wants several high-earning players to make way for the additions.
      Liverpool had the fourth-highest wage bill in the Premier League in 2010 – £121m – but failed to qualify for the Champions League next season and last. FSG inherited a host of financial burdens from the previous owners, Tom Hicks and George Gillett, and the former managers Rafael Benítez and Roy Hodgson, and faces the dual problem of needing to improve Dalglish's squad – "We want to get the highest quality of player in that we can," the Scot has said – while starting to comply with Uefa's fair play regulations.
      As John W Henry, the club's principal owner, said recently: "The worst surprise [following FSG's takeover last October] was the lack of depth in the squad. Our biggest concern in taking on this responsibility was this issue and it was a bigger issue than we feared. There was a huge multi-year payroll for a squad that had very little quality depth."
      The free signings Joe Cole and Milan Jovanovic, for example, earn £100,000 and £120,000 a week at Liverpool respectively, although the latter's astonishing salary includes a signing-on fee payable over the first 12 months of his contract. Cole made nine Premier League starts last season and Jovanovic five. Paul Konchesky, Christian Poulsen and Brad Jones, who cost £5m, £4.5m and £2.3m respectively and were also part of a disastrous transfer policy last summer, are surplus to requirements too but are liable to deter potential suitors with their salaries. Philipp Degen, Nabil El Zhar and Emiliano Insúa also remain on the payroll.
      Liverpool must pay a final instalment of €5m (£4.4m) to Roma for Alberto Aquilani by the end of June and must decide whether to accept a major loss on the Italian midfielder or bring him back to Merseyside after a season's loan to Juventus.
      Juventus have offered only £6m for a player who will cost Liverpool a total of £17.6m, with Roma to receive 5% of any fee agreed, although the 26-year-old's agent has insisted a compromise deal is possible. Franco Zavaglia said: "All season Juventus have always given me the necessary guarantees that they want to keep Alberto. The next 24 hours will be decisive. Any eventual economic agreements will follow after Juventus make their decision. If Juventus can't do a deal for Alberto and he has to return to Liverpool, then Milan would certainly be a destination that he would accept."

Chelsea will ask Turkish FA to release Guus Hiddink from his contract

&#8226; The Dutchman is in his final year as Turkey coach
&#8226; Premier League club plan to shed up to five senior players

• Dominic Fifield
  • guardian.co.uk, Friday 3 June 2011 22.30 BST <li class="history">Article history
    Turkey-Guus-Hiddink-Chels-007.jpg
    The Turkey coach Guus Hiddink, centre, is top of Chelsea's list of candidates to replace Carlo Ancelotti as manager. Photograph: Marcel Van Hoorn/AFP/Getty Images

John Terry would welcome the reappointment of Guus Hiddink as Chelsea manager and believes the Dutchman's return to the club would provide some much-needed stability.
    Hiddink is expected to leave his position with Turkey after expressing a desire to return to day-to-day club management, with Chelsea having earmarked him as their first choice to succeed Carlo Ancelotti. The club had been forced to wait until after Friday's Euro 2012 qualifier in Belgium, which Turkey drew 1-1, but will now seek to agree a compensation package with the Turkish Football Federation to extricate the 64-year-old from the final year of his contract in Istanbul.
    Hiddink, who has advised Chelsea on an unpaid basis over the past two years, will be charged with overseeing a summer of restructuring at Stamford Bridge, with his return to be warmly received by the senior playing staff. "I'd like to see him back and I think most of the lads would," Terry said. "He's obviously a very good guy, and someone I've been in contact with since he left as well, on a personal level. The fact that he knows us and the club means he'll hit the ground running. He knows what the players are about, what our strengths and weaknesses are, even the training schedules.
    "Last time he brought a lot of stability. He was a no-nonsense manager &#8211; even with the senior players &#8211; and was respected. If players turned up late for meetings, he'd leave them out of the side. No matter who it was. That was Guus, his type of character. He's very understandable and approachable as well but, at the same time, he had that edge to him that made sure no one messed with him. He was only there for a short space of time, and sometimes that can be easier, but he loves the day-to-day stuff."
    Hiddink's three-month spell in charge as interim manager, following Luiz Felipe Scolari's sacking in February 2009, saw Chelsea accrue 34 points from a possible 39, reach the semi-finals of the Champions League and win the FA Cup. He had shared his duties with those as Russia's national manager at the time but has already indicated that such a job share would not be possible with the Turkey role, particularly given the size of the task ahead at Stamford Bridge.
    Chelsea will attempt to shed as many as five senior players this summer &#8211; the youth-team product Jacopo Sala has joined Michael Mancienne in following the former sporting director Frank Arnesen to Hamburg &#8211; and intend to make eye&#8209;catching signings of their own as they build on the £73.1m purchases of Fernando Torres and David Luiz in January. The hope is that Hiddink will help implement those changes as manager, though he could yet adopt a role as director of football in the future.
    There was regret expressed by Terry, however, at Ancelotti's removal after only two years at the club. "I was really sad to see Carlo go," the centre-half said. "I had two great years with him, actually, so I'm disappointed to see him go. I'd said last year that, ideally, it would have been nice had Carlo stayed for three or four years and we could be settled around him. Given what he achieved, he feels a little bit hard done by. But that's football and he understands that. He loves the football club. He's stressed with me that he'll come back and watch the guys next year. But, as a group of players, we're professional and we'll get on with it like we have in the past over the years."

Neymar not interested in Chelsea or the Premier League, claims agent

Published 12:15 04/06/11 By Football Spy

Neymar-Brazil+cropped

Brazilian sensation Neymar will not be coming to the Premier League any time soon, claims agent Wagner Riberio.
Responding to rumours that Chelsea were trying to wrest the youngster from Santos, Riberio said:
"This is all speculation from Britain. It is absurd. He does not want to, and will not, leave Santos. He is happy and focused on the Copa Libertadores.
“Of course he will arouse interest, that is just natural because of his performances on the field — but I guarantee you there is no proposal for him. You have to pay £40m for him, yet Santos have to want to sell and now Santos do not want to.'http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/profile/?uAction=register