Tanzania's president Jakaya Kikwete says: I can't wait to step down

nngu007

JF-Expert Member
Aug 2, 2010
The East African country's outgoing president says that two terms are more than enough for him, despite the tendency of some of his neighbours to stay on longer

By Aislinn Laing, Johannesburg

Tanzania
's outgoing president Jakaya Kikwete has told how he is looking forward to stepping down in October this year, describing the job of leading his country as "stressful and thankless".

Two terms in high office were more than enough for him, Mr Kikwete added during a speech at the Woodrow Wilson International Centre for Scholars in Washington DC.

"After 10 years, you need to move on. It's been 10 years since I came to this high profile office," he said.

"I was very young, just 55. But what I can tell you about this job is that it is stressful and thankless." His comments might furrow some brows among his neighbours, who have been accused of overstaying their welcome in office.

To the north, Yoweri Museveni has been in office in Uganda since 1986 when he helped to topple dictators Idi Amin and Milton Obote, and is now serving his fourth term amid accusations of electoral fraud and opposition intimidation.

To the west, there were deadly clashes in January after it was suggested that Joseph Kabila, president of the Democratic Republic of Congo, might try to change the constitution to enable him to run for a third term.

Both Malawi and Zambia are beacons in the region for power having changed hands peacefully several times in recent years, but further south inZimbabwe, Robert Mugabe, the president, has clung on to high office, allegedly using voter intimidation, violence and poll manipulation, since 1980.

Further west, Angola's Eduardo dos Santos has been in power since 1979.

None the less, Nigeria's Goodluck Jonathan set a strong example for the region last week when he conceded defeat to his presidential rival Muhammadu Buhari in crunch elections.

Asked at the Washington event why he believed African leaders had a tendency to cling to power, Mr Kikwete took a diplomatic approach. "I should not speak on their behalf," he said.

"You need to invite them and get their opinions
."

Source: Telegraph.co.uk, Tuesday 19 May 2015

Jamani eeee tusile ndizi mbivu bila kuimenya yakheee. Oktoba kwan mbaliiiii? Ishara zoote zinaonesha, huenda akawa wa kwanza kujaribu kuongezea siku za kukaa magogoni. Anisamehe tu asichukie ila mhhh mbona asimtaje mrithi wake, mbona asioneshe huo uwezekano wa kumaliza uandikishaji wapiga kura, mbona twaona ahadi nyingi tu zikiyeyuka ka nta na moto. Anisamehe tu, ukisema saana halafu utekelezaji wako ukawa mdogo tunakuita ni "Yule mpayukaji"

The East African country's outgoing president says that two terms are more than enough for him, despite the tendency of some of his neighbours to stay on longer

By Aislinn Laing, Johannesburg

Tanzania
's outgoing president Jakaya Kikwete has told how he is looking forward to stepping down in October this year, describing the job of leading his country as "stressful and thankless".

Two terms in high office were more than enough for him, Mr Kikwete added during a speech at the Woodrow Wilson International Centre for Scholars in Washington DC.

"After 10 years, you need to move on. It's been 10 years since I came to this high profile office," he said.

"I was very young, just 55. But what I can tell you about this job is that it is stressful and thankless." His comments might furrow some brows among his neighbours, who have been accused of overstaying their welcome in office.

To the north, Yoweri Museveni has been in office in Uganda since 1986 when he helped to topple dictators Idi Amin and Milton Obote, and is now serving his fourth term amid accusations of electoral fraud and opposition intimidation.

To the west, there were deadly clashes in January after it was suggested that Joseph Kabila, president of the Democratic Republic of Congo, might try to change the constitution to enable him to run for a third term.

Both Malawi and Zambia are beacons in the region for power having changed hands peacefully several times in recent years, but further south inZimbabwe, Robert Mugabe, the president, has clung on to high office, allegedly using voter intimidation, violence and poll manipulation, since 1980.

Further west, Angola's Eduardo dos Santos has been in power since 1979.

None the less, Nigeria's Goodluck Jonathan set a strong example for the region last week when he conceded defeat to his presidential rival Muhammadu Buhari in crunch elections.

Asked at the Washington event why he believed African leaders had a tendency to cling to power, Mr Kikwete took a diplomatic approach. "I should not speak on their behalf," he said.

"You need to invite them and get their opinions
."

Source: Telegraph.co.uk, Tuesday 19 May 2015
Maneno kuntu jk ni zaidi ya kiongozi safi sana.

Asivuruge uchaguzi sasa! Yote tunajua anajaribu ama aongezewe muda au avuruge uchaguzi

Maneno kuntu jk ni zaidi ya kiongozi safi sana.

Hata KAMBARE JAPO ANAISHI KWENYE TOPE ANASAFISHWA NA KUFANYWA KITOWEO.Sasa huyu hata kwa JIK ukimsafisha bado atarudi kwenye TOPE maana ndiyo asili yake.Pole sana

Sure mkuu jk ni kiongozi mwadilifu na muungwana kabisa anajua maana ya katiba na sheria za taifa lake hana upuuzi kama wa hawa wengine.
ndiyo maana wakwepa kodi anawabembeleza kama katiba na sheria za nchi zinavyosema,wezi wa Mali ya umma anawaambia warudishi kwa hiari Yao,pia amesimamia katiba vizuri kiasi Kwamba sasa jamhuri ya Muungano wa Tanzania ni nchi mbili zenye serikali mbili badala ya nchi moja yenye serikali mbili

Endapo uchaguzi ukasogezwa mbele kama kura ya maoni na ule wa mwaka 1995, tutasemaje? Sio matakwa yangu ni mazingira yamenilazimisha?

Shida ni kumchukia mtu hata atende Jema ila wasomi hawapo hivyo.kwa maneno hayo ni ya busara na nikiongozi wa kuigwa

Don't u ever be fooled Son...Watch his actions and do not listen to what he says,for ACTIONS SPEAK LOUDER THAN WORDS,u can hardly trust this chap!

"The job is stressful and thankless" ..... What a joke!! Urais ni miaka 5, mbona aliendelea. He should then had stepped down in 2010 if it's true he couldn't wait to step down. Anyway, tunamshukuru kwa EPA, Richmond na Escrow!!

Ningemsifu kama hayo angeyasemea Bongo. Mbona hawa marais juha wa Afrika kila kitu chenye maana lazima wasemee kwa wazungu?
Hawa watu hudharau sana watu wao nawo hudarauliwa sana huko. Hawajui tu!

Back
Top Bottom