Tanzania lone ranger in EAC integration bid

Geza Ulole

JF-Expert Member
Oct 31, 2009
Tanzania lone ranger in EAC integration bid

kiprotich.jpg

Uganda's Stephen Kiprotich celebrates after he won men's marathon during the London 2012 Olympic Games . The last time Uganda had won a gold medal at the event was 40 years ago. Photo/AFP AFP
IN SUMMARY

• Tanzania has been in the regional news for their stand against the other East African Community states, especially Kenya. They recently, increased the work permit fees for East Africans arguing that the bloc has not reached the integration level that would support free movement of labour.
  • Apart from making it expensive for other East Africans to work in Tanzania, the country has also been accused of reportedly lighting fires on the wildlife migratory corridors to prevent the wildebeest from migrating into Kenya.
  • Then there was the bus accident involving Kenyans who were travelling to Tanzania on a religious mission. It was reported that the public at scene of the accident demanded cash in order to help the victims.

Regional news indicates that competition is rising among East African nations.
One of the recent surprises was the Ugandan athlete Stephen Kiprotich who won the country a gold in the Olympics since the last one 40 years ago.
This made the Ugandans so proud sending the whole nation into a celebration. The fact that the athlete has Kenyan roots confirms that apart from suffering brain drain as brilliant Kenyans settle for jobs abroad, the country also suffers from ‘leg drain' as the best runners choose to work and run for other countries.
The good news here is that this suggests a greater level of integration while providing some food for thought to Kenya on how to keep the best talents home.
Kiprotich's achievement can also have some dividends in tourism circles across the region. The win was also one of the surprises at the London 2012 Olympic Games, earning a place among the best 10 CNN moments at the event.
For business, the lesson should be that you should always respect for your competition. I overheard some Kenyans suggest that our athletes had been told by their coaches to keep an eye on any Ethiopian on the tracks but to their unpleasant surprise, competition also came from other countries including Uganda.
Another point to note is that Uganda is actually friendlier to Kenya than Tanzania, being landlocked means that they have to depend on the Mombasa port.
They are likely to wish Kenya well since our problems can easily escalate to Uganda. Kenya also played good host to Ugandans during bad times in the past and therefore, that heritage creates some positive energy between the two nations.
However, the relationship has not been smooth all through. For example, the recent Migingo Island dispute created a lot of furore among the citizens of the two countries.
Nevertheless, the two neighbours are working together to resolve the Somalia crisis.
Tanzania has been in the regional news for their stand against the other East African Community states, especially Kenya. They recently, increased the work permit fees for East Africans arguing that the bloc has not reached the integration level that would support free movement of labour.
Rwanda on the other hand, welcomed all East Africans to work there freely. Tanzania is thinking scarcity while Rwanda is thinking abundance, only time will tell which kind of thinking is more productive than the other.
Apart from making it expensive for other East Africans to work in Tanzania, the country has also been accused of reportedly lighting fires on the wildlife migratory corridors to prevent the wildebeest from migrating into Kenya. Creating barriers to prevent one of the greatest animal action scenes in the world from taking place did not work.
The wildebeest eventually crossed the borders to Maasai Mara for what is termed as the eighth wonder of the world to happen. The lesson here is that there is no greater force than that of an idea whose time has come.
Then there was the bus accident involving Kenyans who were travelling to Tanzania on a religious mission. It was reported that the public at scene of the accident demanded cash in order to help the victims.
That is one of the saddest things about the Tanzanians' perspective. You would expect them to be more hospitable. President Mwai Kibaki had to send military help to airlift the survivors to Kenya for better medical attention.
This brought back some memories from the past when former Tanzanian President Julius Nyerere was quoted saying that Kenya is "a man-eat-man society".
Former Attorney General Charles Njonjo reportedly replied that Tanzania was probably man-eat-nothing society. These ideologies from history are still affecting the relationship between Kenya and Tanzania.
But all is not lost, there is a lot of trade happening between the two countries, which points at a need to have a more cohesive approach.
There is also admiration of Kenya by Tanzanians.
The last time I was in Dar es Salaam, a taxi driver who picked me from the airport rated the developments in Kenya highly, he mentioned the bara bara za gorofa (super highways) that are being built and the new people-driven Constitution. He wished Tanzania could have the same kind of developments.
Time is ripe for the region to have a greater partnership orientation. Let us always remember that you can stand tall without standing on anyone and you can be a victor without having any victim.
Ngahu is the marketing director of SBO Research.
E-mail: bngahu@sboresearch.co.ke. Twitter@bngahu

Tanzania lone ranger in EAC integration bid*- Home*|businessdailyafrica.com

I do hope he just chose to avoid a scientific explanation as to why the fire was set up in the Serengeti! As for accident in Tanga, Kikuyu arrogance has given him guts to vomit accolades for uplifting their fellow Kikuyu's mothers who were in the hospitals already! Unfortunately, he forgets there are over 200,000 IDPs still in camps 5 years after 2007's PEVs! BTW i am surprised at the way he is blindly claiming Ugandans to be friendlier to Kenya and at the same time speaking for them to be not friendlier to Tanzanians! Watch out ur nepotism mentality...! can do anything just to win a bread!

when will you grow up?
When u stop ur greedy! Look at what Ethiopia does to us and read at ur continuous looser attitude attacks that distort facts on Tanzania and it's right to do its business the way they want if we raise working permit tax, why the hell r u not replicating that to Tanzanians seeking jobs in Kenya?

As a retaliation of Kenya sinister motives on coverage of a sovereign Tanzania, i do ask all Tanzanians to boycott all Kenyan products including boarding KQ!

Last edited by a moderator:
Tafadhali alaumiwe mwandishi wa hiyo article kwenye NMG na siyo messenger aliyeileta hapa JF...:hat:

Tafadhali alaumiwe mwandishi wa hiyo article kwenye NMG na siyo messenger aliyeileta hapa JF...:hat:

Hii iliandikwa na NMG?

I do hope he just chose to avoid a scientific explanation as to why the fire was set up in the Serengeti! As for accident in Tanga, Kikuyu arrogance has given him guts to vomit accolades for uplifting their fellow Kikuyu's mothers who were in the hospitals already! Unfortunately, he forgets there are over 200,000 IDPs still in camps 5 years after 2007's PEVs! BTW i am surprised at the way he is blindly claiming Ugandans to be friendlier to Kenya and at the same time speaking for them to be not friendlier to Tanzanians! Watch out of nepotism mentality...! Can do anything just to win a bread!

When u stop ur greedy! Look at what Ethiopia does to us and read at ur continuous looser attitude attacks that distort facts on Tanzania and it's right to do its business the way they want if we raise working permit tax, why the hell r u not replicating that to Tanzanians seeking jobs in Kenya?

As a retaliation of Kenya sinister motives on coverage of a sovereign Tanzania, i do ask all Tanzanians to boycott all Kenyan products including boarding KQ!

hapo kwenye nyekundu also boycott precision air which is owned by KQ .see more below
Precision Air - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Is Ngahu trying to export Kenya's 'man-eat-man' tendecies to Tanzanians? Of course, we do not belong to the same historical background and that fact needs to be respected. We do not have any tribe that is superior than others as is the case with Kikiyus in Kenya and for your information, Tanzanians love Kenyans from all other tribes except Kikuyus. We hate Kikuyus because of their unjust tendecies to all the other Kenyan tribes. We will keep hating people like you because you always want to promote your superior tendencies even when you are in other people's countries. I think this explains why people like you can not work in Tanzania.

On matters integration Tanzania sees the glass half empty while all the other members of the community see it half full. On Kiprotich recent olympic triumph, i dare say he has integrated fully with Kenyan counterparts and has been training in Eldoret. Mfano mzuri wa umoja ,a win for Uganda is a win for EA.

Is Ngahu trying to export Kenya's 'man-eat-man' tendecies to Tanzanians? Of course, we do not belong to the same historical background and that fact needs to be respected. We do not have any tribe that is superior than others as is the case with Kikiyus in Kenya and for your information, Tanzanians love Kenyans from all other tribes except Kikuyus. We hate Kikuyus because of their unjust tendecies to all the other Kenyan tribes. We will keep hating people like you because you always want to promote your superior tendencies even when you are in other people's countries. I think this explains why people like you can not work in Tanzania.

Tanzanians loathe everything with the kenyan signature. There is a tanzanian song "mtoto wa sagana".. What did the artist mean by that song can you enlighten us?? That means Tanzanians uphold greatly the grandeur, financial prosperity, commonly associated with Kikuyus Hahahaha.......Wadanganyika.....muwatumwa hadi nyumbani kwenu....nenda kajikwamue kwanza.

wewe unajua sometime nakuona kama akili yako imepinda lakini on this one I have to give it to
you...:israel:
sasa morio,you know hata mimi i thought you are kinda mentally challenged with all the studying in america but no wisdom bana i suspected you are on 420 buddy :wacko:

No need to go beyond there, that's tribalism and you are no better and if i doubt

Tribalism is when one group of people start to think people from another group are "wrong by default". It's the great-granddaddy of racism and sexism. And the most dangerous kind of tribalism is completely invisible: it has nothing to do with someone's "birth tribe" and everything to do with their affiliations

Don't preach water and drink wine.

Grow up vato,isn't this home of great thinkers bring sensible issues humu ndani sio malalamiko kila kukicha, hao ni waethiopian sisi ni wa tz, wanavowafanyia nyie sivyo tutavyowafanyia, hatuigi kwa taifa lolote jinsi ya kuwatreat nyie we have our ways, intergrate with them basi mtukache sisi nyie vipi bana, kumbe mna jirani mwema kaskazini ya nini kutusakama wa kusini sasa, wewe na wakenya wenzako wachache humu ndani hamlali kwa raha msipotutusi mnakosa usingizi? kwann tupo vichwani mwenu namna hiyo, unaelewa kwanini bcoz i understand, hizo fly overs za nairobi mbona mwataka tumaliza nazo mkizijenga nchi nzima patatosha kweli jf, me i wonder nawe uanze jiuliza sio kulalamalalama humu ndani , hiyo integration haiwezekani bila wa Tz? ni nini sisi kwenu hadi mshindwe endelea, mna tusakama sana jamani i love my country it hurts, ask your leaders stop blaming us, ask em cant EAC work without Tz? leave us alone jamii yetu na yenu ni vitu viwili tofauti sana you are so greedy people selfish wicked, man eat man society we are man eat nuthn society, chanya na hasi hiyo wapi zitachangamana? plz spare us this hatred neighbours preach good things. Kama tunadelay you folks endeleeni hamjashikwa mashati, tuna mengi ya kusahihisha Tz ndo mana hatutaki kurush huko. Respect that decision you dont want endeleeni na wengine.

John Mashaka on Tanzania Lone Ranger in EAC Integration Bid article.

BY
MUHIDIN MICHUZI ON AUGUST 23, 2012

It is time not to let go unchallenged, the
opinions of lone rangers, self appointed envoys, and spokespersons for Kenya East African Integration Committee. The author identified as Mr. Boniface Ngahu, has upped the ante on the East African Integration issue, using the same old, usual chest thumbing tactics of ridicule, and intimidation to those that do not follow their hymn of we are the better Country. He was unconscious of the ramifications of his self defeating effort to intimidate his Tanzanians counterparts into the EA union.

Mr. Boniface Ngahu, lacks a voice of reason in his argument. He seems to be everywhere talking about everything. He lacks a premise to base his entire weak and fabricated hypothesis. He is more of fanatical than factual in his application of reasonable analogy, and that limits my ability to dissect his flawed logic. Interestingly, I found arrogance, egoistic, biasness, ignorance, crude language, self glorification and cheap manipulation tactics that have been employed time and again by these self appointed high priests of East African Integration.

His extraneous bragging tirade on educated Kenyans and their athletes, Migingo dispute and so forth are not worth our response. That is for Kenyans to deal with. We are here to deal with weighty issues, and one of the central issues is immigration. Like Kenyans, Tanzanians are trying to protect their economic interests by going it slow. With the increase of graduates from both local and foreign higher learning institutions, Tanzania has no option but fill the available positions with domestic talents, which is a common practice all over the world to control unemployment, especially at these tough economic times.

These are basic, and natural economic laws Tanzania will never ignore
Mr. Ngahu quoted as unfair, the Tanzania's newly enacted immigration laws, yet Kenyan laws are the most stringent and discriminative. You cannot get a work permit in Kenya unless you are a 35 years or older and must be earning at least 24,000 US dollars. How many Tanzanians are going to qualify under this new law? Talking morals! He must not be aware on the number of unqualified, heavy accented Kenyans in Tanzania that are nursery school teachers, store clerks, bar attendants, supermarket cashiers, and merchants in Tanzania. Most without work permits and freely roaming the country, hope he can tell us in equal terms the number of Tanzanians in Kenya, doing the same kind of work!

This sort of obsession with Tanzanian affairs is getting out of hand. What is it that, a country you hate so much, is the country you are pestering so much to share a bed with? Mr. Ngahu is more focused at the speck of sawdust in my eye, and pay no attention to the plunk in his own. Put your house in order first. Sort out your problems; deal with your hatred towards one another. Deal with you nepotism, land problems, chronic tribalism and arrogance, before you can come back into the bilateral and even trilateral negotiation's table Mr. Moral police!

Mr. Ngahu is a disgrace to the marketing professionals' community; he has failed the moral aptitude test. He exploits and relies on undercooked, under-researched, rumors and speculations to build his case. He employs a fallacious logic in his reasoning, assumes the roles of a police, prosecutor and a judge to get his point across. He sadly absconded scientific justification for the Serengeti fires, accuses Tanzania of sabotaging the course of nature –wildebeest migration- without providing facts. Who knows, maybe Mr. Ngahu is part of Serengeti fauna.

It is despicable to term Tanzanians as barbaric, cold blooded humans demanding cash from accident victims, as if Mungiki killing squad is the friendliest in East Africa. Who is lesser evil, a man demanding cash from accident victims or he that slashes his neighbor's throat because he belongs to another tribe? Stop planting the seeds of discord and hatred between Kenyans and Tanzanians. They have been neighbors and will continue to remain good neighbors. Tanzanians are not ready for the likes of Mungiki to run terror on their soil.

It is every government's duty to take care of its people. The writer, however, seems to be avoiding double standard gravity of his government treating a section of Kenyans differently. He is ignoring the fact that Kenya remains a deeply divided society living on edge; no tribe trusts the other. Some are better that others and by that I mean, you have more than 250,000 Internally Displaced Persons (IDP's) living in refugee camps within Kenya, yet a few persons get special preferential treatment of airlift from Tanzania.

"The last time I was in Nairobi, I met a man that rated Tanzanian natural wealth and hospitality highly, he never mentioned the bara bara za gorofa au chokoraa kila kona(super highways and street kids crisis) like Ngahu would like to put it, his only wish was to immigrate to Tanzania along with his family and settle in a ten acre arable land because he was landless in Kenya. His land was snatched by some powerful men during 2007, election violence".

Tanzania does not have a problem with the East African Federation; the problem emanates from people like Ngahu, walking around spitting venomous, boisterous, scornful, derogatory, inflammatory, and divisive seeds of hatred amongst good neighbors. All Tanzania needs is time to study the epitome of the union. Why rush them, what is so special in the union that can't wait? Your pressure is suspect and scary. Mr.Ngahu is aware of the economic problems in the Euro-zone. Tanzania is not going to be bullied into hurried submission; neither is it going to accept continued vilification and degradation.

So much at stake here, and would not blindly follow the crowd. If you are so much in a hurry into creating a regional colonies, you are in Somalia, bring them on board. Otherwise your unchecked, arrogance, exasperating, cheap propaganda and public utterances are likely to sabotage the integration gains. Kenya government must therefore restrain these political, historical and economic novices attack dogs from inflicting further damage.

All aside, Kindly accept our deep, heartfelt condolences for the despicable and evil acts of brutality; the horrible massacre in Tana-River between the Pokomo and Orma Tribes. May the souls that perished Rest in Eternal Peace!

Mungu Ibariki Tanzania
John Mashaka (Dar-Es-Salaam)
The Writer is a Tanzanian Social Activist
MICHUZI: John mashaka on Tanzania Lone Ranger in EAC Integration Bid Article.

16511139-8297311793717188293

That was quite a balanced retort well presented and i credit the writer for taking his time, however he has fallen into the abyss of stereotypes by penning this paragraph.

The last time I was in Nairobi, I met a man that rated Tanzanian natural wealth and hospitality highly, he never mentioned the bara bara za gorofa au chokoraa kila kona(super highways and street kids crisis) like Ngahu would like to put it, his only wish was to immigrate to Tanzania along with his family and settle in a ten acre arable land because he was landless in Kenya. His land was snatched by some powerful men during 2007, election violence".

That is based on the assumption that Kenyans would be willing to buy land and settle in Tanzania or that is their burning desire.Unless the land in Tanzania is quite cheap i dont see any rationale in thinking of buying Land in a neighbouring state while there is abundant land in your country. I am yet to see the a Kenyan with money who is running around looking for land to buy but unable to do so due to unavailability of it. Tanzania may be bigger than Kenya in size but we are not exactly as land scarce as you may want to put across.
I know you guys like harping on the isue of settlers having the whole Kenyan arable land but i would like you to take time go through Kenya and report back the prevalence of settlers(who by the way are Kenyans as i am only that they have white skin) vis a vis the local populace.

Well written John Mashaka. Hope he understands it now. It is unfortunate that some Kenyans are unwilling to open their brains and understand why Tanzania is baving the way she does. If thousands of our private schools are full of unqualified Kenyan 'teachers' who are mostly Form 4 dropouts who can hardly pronouce English words the way they should be pronounced; If our hotels are already full of Kenyans even before the job market is officially open, how will the situation be if we declare our jobs as being up for grabs? With the land problems in Kenya, and considering that Tanzania is larger than a combined surface area of Kenya, Uganda, Rwanda and Burundi, shall we not be selling our land to thousands of landless Kenyans? We know what we are doing so stop forcing us to buy your ideas. We are educated enough to think using our own brains. We do not want Kikuyus to think on our behalf.

The fact is

Without TZ there is no EAC. They will be integration when TZ decides, that is a fact, whether kenyans like it or not.

If they don't like let us see if they can form an intergration with Uganda!!

Now I know why the integration process seems to be failing, and you can tell from some of the threads here.Drugs!! The use of drugs. Madawa ya kulevya. One country of EAC has allowed its people to use drugs while the other countries have not allowed...am talking about miraa, mairungi. How do you work smoothly with someone who is taking drugs that are banned all over the world.. How will the integration work. How will you allow free movement of people whose pockets are loaded with drugs? EAC should go back to the drawing board to discuss this miraa thing.

2 Reactions
Back
Top Bottom