Singapore: Waziri wa Uchukuzi ajiuzulu baada ya kushtakiwa mahakamani kwa rushwa

Papaa Mobimba

JF-Expert Member
Jan 27, 2018
Singapore’s Transport Minister S. Iswaran has resigned after being charged with corruption on Thursday, the prime minister’s office said, confirming a historic development for a city state that prides itself on having a squeaky-clean government.

The charges against Iswaran are part of the biggest corruption probe to engulf Singapore’s ruling People’s Action Party (PAP) in decades.

The scandal, which also ensnared a hotel tycoon best known for bringing the Formula 1 Grand Prix to the city, was one in a series of controversies for the government in the past year that sent shockwaves through the country.

Iswaran is the country’s first sitting minister to be charged with a criminal offense.

Iswaran, whose political career spanned nearly 30 years, faces 27 charges, including corruption and obstructing justice, Chief Prosecutor Tan Kiat Pheng said in court Thursday.

According to charge sheets seen by CNN, these included allegations that he was gifted by Malaysian billionaire Ong Beng Seng, more than 160,000 Singapore dollars ($119,000) in bribes in exchange for advancing his business interests.

Those gifts allegedly included business class flights, luxury hotel stays, tickets to the F1 Grand Prix, English Premier League matches and West End musicals.

The former minister was flanked by his legal team at court on Thursday morning and pleaded not guilty. He is currently on bail.

In a statement sent to CNN, Iswaran said he rejected the charges and allegations against him.

“I resigned as (a) Cabinet Minister, Member of Parliament and as a member of the People’s Action Party because I believe it was the right thing to do,” the statement read.

“These past months have been most difficult for my family and me,” Iswaran added. “I am innocent and will now focus on clearing my name.”

Iswaran was arrested alongside hotel tycoon Ong in July. Ong is also the sole shareholder of the Singapore Grand Prix, organizer of the marquee sporting event. In his capacity as Singapore’s Transport Minister, Iswaran served as an advisor to the Grand Prix’s steering committee.

Setback for a clean country?
Singapore has long had a reputation for clean governance and is currently ranked number 5 in the world in Transparency International’s annual Corruption Perceptions Index.

Corruption probes involving ministers are rare in the country, where officials are paid well to discourage graft.

The average annual salary of ministers is about 1.1 million Singapore dollars (nearly $834,000), according to the government.

The last corruption case involving a Singaporean minister was in 1986.

Teh Cheang Wan, who served as the Minister for National Development and was known for his proposal to ban sales of chewing gum in Singapore, was probed for allegedly accepting bribes from private companies. Although he maintained his innocence, he died before being charged.

Singapore’s anti-graft agency, the Corrupt Practices Investigation Bureau (CPIB), which reports directly to Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong, has been leading investigations into Iswaran’s case.

Citizen Digital

Back
Top Bottom