Should there be anything untouchable in a constitution making process?

Kakati

Apr 11, 2009
Dear friends,

A constitution making process should be designed such that its result will depict and represent the wishes of the people on the way their society should be ruled or governed.

Today I took time to ponder on some issues of the newly passed constitutional review Act and I am amazed at the provision which requires the commission to observe sanctity of the Union and other named matters in discussing the new constitution. It says some issues should not be touched!

I think this is grossly wrong. If some Tanzanians wanted to have a ‘Mfalme' instead of a ‘President', for whatever reason, what would be wrong with discussing it and if the majority are convinced, what would be wrong with having the system representing what people want? Or if some Tanzanians dislike the Union of Tanganyika and Zanzibar (or would like to have somethings changed, such as a format or the number of governments: 1, 2 or 3), why indeed would we stop them giving their feelings. Why would someone force people to live a way they do not really like or understand?

Tanzanians should discuss everything they wish to discuss. A constitution is too basic to be decided by a few people. It is also not something we are going to do and do and do every time.

I am really uncomfortable with this restriction. May I ask, if we leave some difficult questions unanswered even after making a new constitution, will the questions die? Will they not cost our society when the people dictating what to be discussed are no longer available to be put to task?

Nothing should be untouchable. If anything should be untouchable it should be for THE PEOPLE to decide, and not some politicians dictating to the people as to what should be discussed and what not.
I for one would insist on LIMITLESS freedom for the people and the press to never be discussed. FREEDOM is God given and should not be discussed or limited by any government.

Why waste our resources only for discussing non issues. This is indeed the main question. And if someone is stopping us from discussing our issues let us go ahead and stone him.

no, no, no!! all good things emerge from good ideas! So by touching each and everything will show us a way out as we are now lost and stuck 'on ther jungle'!

no, no, no!! all good things emerge from good ideas! So by touching each and everything will show us a way out as we are now lost and stuck 'on ther jungle'!

Surely and that is why all efforts should be made to retain this main right to the people. This is the main reason why people should go to streets. All serious political parties, activists, and indeed anybody wishing a good future to our society. A free society.

Never never on Earth should anything be UNTOUCHABLE during Constitional Construction,why do we mean by saying we need new constitutional?

Never never on Earth should anything be UNTOUCHABLE during Constition Construction,what do we mean by saying we need a new constitutional?

Then we should go out and fight for this fundamental right. A new constitution should really be new. All the things in the current constitution that have a considerable amount of disagreement amongst the members of the community should be brought to the open and decided upon. No stone should be left unturned.

The new Constitution issue wasn't no.1 in the ruling party's list of priorities, but facing the wind of change possed by opposition parties the ruling party embraced the idea without second thought! Now when it comes to implementation they are realizing the bitter truth. Even with what they are pretending to put in pandora box i don't see how they will survive the wave from znz when it comes to union matters!

The ruling party must know that, the moment of truth has come and all cards should be put on the table.

The new Constitution issue wasn't no.1 in the ruling party's list of priorities, but facing the wind of change possed by opposition parties the ruling party embraced the idea without second thought! Now when it comes to implementation they are realizing the bitter truth. Even with what they are pretending to put in pandora box i don't see how they will survive the wave from znz when it comes to union matters!

The ruling party must know that, the moment of truth has come and all cards should be put on the table.

Yes some Znz people would like more autonomy. In my opinion we should make a referendum to ask people what kind of union they want. I would vote for a single government and I am sure Nyerere's soul would be happy, if the dead have feelings. But if it happens that the other forms such as 3 governments are what people want then we just go for that. And sincerely speaking, if the majority of znz or Tanganyika people do not want the union, we should give them what they want. Unity cannot be forced on people, only when they want it and are prepared to suffer and enjoy together then it will stand.

Back
Top Bottom