Shikamoo

PHILE1879

JF-Expert Member
May 6, 2013
Shikamoo

“Shikamoo ….” Every time I use this word, it’s almost as if I can feel the pain of Africa. The reason lies in the meaning of the word, “I am beneath you” said to the thieving, slave trading Sultans and Sheiks by the slaves, our real forefathers, of our beautiful continent. If this wasn’t said and acknowledged, “Marahabaa”, then there would be hell to pay!
I think this was a form of mind control, demeaning Africans, in this case, Tanzanians into thinking they were inferior , further adding fear to the prospects of freedom .

Today, after 48 years of independence, it is considered disrespectful or rude to an elder if this word is not used during the course of a meeting or conversation, as if “Habari zako? ” or “Wajionaje hali? ” were not respectable, considerate greetings in themselves. You will hear, “huyu kijana hana adabu, mbona haniamkii?”. An elder might even ignore you completely just because they didn’t receive their precious “ Shikamoo”.

We, as human beings, all have egos . The ego shows very much in our elders, they need to feel respected. The ego is in fact unconsciousness. Resentment of colonialism and slavery may have driven our elders’ parents to demand the same respect they gave their “Masters ” and if they did not receive it, the unruly youth, “slave ”, should be disciplined. We are taught this throughout our lives, therefore trap ourselves in a system of unconsciousness and a belief that we are inferior or don’t deserve the respect we give our elders, “ masters”.

Now my generation demands our younger to surrender and accept that they are beneath us, “Amkia we dogo! ”. This causes all of us to strive for less leaving us with nothing more than hunger to feed our egos and a sense of being lower or smaller than others. Most times, I feel more like “ Shikamoo ” introduces a fear factor into the equation of acquaintance rather than respect. You cannot demand or command respect, but you can
fear. Fear is what we had when we were
powerless slaves, accepting that we are “beneath” another human. Now a word used to enslave our minds and free will has become part of our tradition and language,
Kiswahili.

I feel that we cannot be totally free if we are still trapped in a mind state of slavery. Even Europeans and Americans, Caucasians in general are being greeted this way when most don’t even understand the meaning or the history of the word. This eats deeply at my heart. I would rather regional, ethnic vernaculars such as Kihehe, “Kamwene ” or Kindali, “ Mwaagona” these are greetings applicable to elders and youth alike, no influence of slavery involved. Is this because the regions in question, Iringa & Mbeya , are so far from the coast? Or is it because the people of inner Tanzania are more grounded to their roots, Tanzania and consciousness? Although my mother raised me traditionally, she accepts and respects my concepts of change and mental as well as spiritual revolution and so replies, “Salama mwanangu” when I ask, “Habari za asubuhi Mama? ”. I was born into the culture, language and traditions so I’m far from ungrateful for the words and the way they are used.

I’m just confused at the will to be enslaved and trapped while we watch ourselves and just accept all that holds us back, “ Shikamoo”. We are beneath no one but God and ourselves,
always and forever! The world is our own, as are the rules we make to determine our level of consciousness .

We should be grounded to freedom! Free will! The will to be! Nuff Love, Stay Blessed People

Shikamoo

“Shikamoo ….” Every time I use this word, it’s almost as if I can feel the pain of Africa. The reason lies in the meaning of the word, “I am beneath you” said to the thieving, slave trading Sultans and Sheiks by the slaves, our real forefathers, of our beautiful continent. If this wasn’t said and acknowledged, “Marahabaa”, then there would be hell to pay!
I think this was a form of mind control, demeaning Africans, in this case, Tanzanians into thinking they were inferior , further adding fear to the prospects of freedom .

Today, after 48 years of independence, it is considered disrespectful or rude to an elder if this word is not used during the course of a meeting or conversation, as if “Habari zako? ” or “Wajionaje hali? ” were not respectable, considerate greetings in themselves. You will hear, “huyu kijana hana adabu, mbona haniamkii?”. An elder might even ignore you completely just because they didn’t receive their precious “ Shikamoo”.

We, as human beings, all have egos . The ego shows very much in our elders, they need to feel respected. The ego is in fact unconsciousness. Resentment of colonialism and slavery may have driven our elders’ parents to demand the same respect they gave their “Masters ” and if they did not receive it, the unruly youth, “slave ”, should be disciplined. We are taught this throughout our lives, therefore trap ourselves in a system of unconsciousness and a belief that we are inferior or don’t deserve the respect we give our elders, “ masters”.

Now my generation demands our younger to surrender and accept that they are beneath us, “Amkia we dogo! ”. This causes all of us to strive for less leaving us with nothing more than hunger to feed our egos and a sense of being lower or smaller than others. Most times, I feel more like “ Shikamoo ” introduces a fear factor into the equation of acquaintance rather than respect. You cannot demand or command respect, but you can
fear. Fear is what we had when we were
powerless slaves, accepting that we are “beneath” another human. Now a word used to enslave our minds and free will has become part of our tradition and language,
Kiswahili.

I feel that we cannot be totally free if we are still trapped in a mind state of slavery. Even Europeans and Americans, Caucasians in general are being greeted this way when most don’t even understand the meaning or the history of the word. This eats deeply at my heart. I would rather regional, ethnic vernaculars such as Kihehe, “Kamwene ” or Kindali, “ Mwaagona” these are greetings applicable to elders and youth alike, no influence of slavery involved. Is this because the regions in question, Iringa & Mbeya , are so far from the coast? Or is it because the people of inner Tanzania are more grounded to their roots, Tanzania and consciousness? Although my mother raised me traditionally, she accepts and respects my concepts of change and mental as well as spiritual revolution and so replies, “Salama mwanangu” when I ask, “Habari za asubuhi Mama? ”. I was born into the culture, language and traditions so I’m far from ungrateful for the words and the way they are used.

I’m just confused at the will to be enslaved and trapped while we watch ourselves and just accept all that holds us back, “ Shikamoo”. We are beneath no one but God and ourselves,
always and forever! The world is our own, as are the rules we make to determine our level of consciousness .

We should be grounded to freedom! Free will! The will to be! Nuff Love, Stay Blessed People
Thankx! nimeipenda sana.

Hahahahahaaa this is jf mister there are many nyuzi that uses swahili langwej so don't relay on one thread
Ndugu yangu, ndo maana twasema UKITUMIA Kiswahili, USICHANGANYE na Kiingereza (na Kinyume chake). Ona sasa hata wewe Lugha ya Malkia umeitumiaje? MANY nyuzi (News) USES, or USE? Kwa Kiingereza NAFSI ya TATU UMOJA ndo S huongezewaga!

Back
Top Bottom