Right way to pronounce 'adhere'

LE GAGNANT

JF-Expert Member
Jan 20, 2011
Most Tanzanians pronounce 'adhere' wrongly. They pronounce it in swahili sense as they do in words like'dhahabu','fedha'. It brings difficulty when talking to someone who doesn't have swahili sense. The right way to pronounce it is "ad'hia".

Most Tanzanians pronounce 'adhere' wrongly. They pronounce it in swahili sense as they do in words like'dhahabu','fedha'. It brings difficulty when talking to someone who doesn't have swahili sense. The right way to pronounce it is "ad'hia".

I agree with you in entirety. It is not uncommon to find such problems in respect of other English words and other languages as well. Most Tanzanians are influenced by their Kiswahili accent as they import it to their spoken English. This problem is a common phenomenon in language studies and learning among non-native speakers who learn another language. Therefore, you will find it not only with Tanzanians who speak English but also with non-native swahili speakers who attempt to speak Kiswahili. Consider a mzungu speaking kiswahili for instance. Or, a Nigerian speaking English. etc. However, this problem tends to reduce with those who have travelled outside their mother tongue areas to live among the native speakers or people with a different, but better, accent. I had a friend of mine from Kenya (a kamba) when I was abroad for further studies. She could not pronounce "v" or "d" in some words. She would for instance say "fondacom" for vodacom, "afond" for afford etc. Therefore, one learns a better way when one finds that others cannot understand him/her or they frown when he/she promounces certain words. I am not spared. I used to pronounce the word gift with a "dg" instead of "gi" untill my friend whose name is Gift could not tolerate it anymore and told me.

I agree with you in entirety. It is not uncommon to find such problems in respect of other English words and other languages as well. Most Tanzanians are influenced by their Kiswahili accent as they import it to their spoken English. This problem is a common phenomenon in language studies and learning among non-native speakers who learn another language. Therefore, you will find it not only with Tanzanians who speak English but also with non-native swahili speakers who attempt to speak Kiswahili. Consider a mzungu speaking kiswahili for instance. Or, a Nigerian speaking English. etc. However, this problem tends to reduce with those who have travelled outside their mother tongue areas to live among the native speakers or people with a different, but better, accent. I had a friend of mine from Kenya (a kamba) when I was abroad for further studies. She could not pronounce "v" or "d" in some words. She would for instance say "fondacom" for vodacom, "afond" for afford etc. Therefore, one learns a better way when one finds that others cannot understand him/her or they frown when he/she promounces certain words. I am not spared. I used to pronounce the word gift with a "dg" instead of "gi" untill my friend whose name is Gift could not tolerate it anymore and told me.

Kweli man. If you are used to speak vernacular in most cases your accent will be affected when it comes to pronounce English phrases.

i agree with you in entirety. It is not uncommon to find such problems in respect of other english words and other languages as well. Most tanzanians are influenced by their kiswahili accent as they import it to their spoken english. This problem is a common phenomenon in language studies and learning among non-native speakers who learn another language. Therefore, you will find it not only with tanzanians who speak english but also with non-native swahili speakers who attempt to speak kiswahili. Consider a mzungu speaking kiswahili for instance. Or, a nigerian speaking english. Etc. However, this problem tends to reduce with those who have travelled outside their mother tongue areas to live among the native speakers or people with a different, but better, accent. I had a friend of mine from kenya (a kamba) when i was abroad for further studies. She could not pronounce "v" or "d" in some words. She would for instance say "fondacom" for vodacom, "afond" for afford etc. Therefore, one learns a better way when one finds that others cannot understand him/her or they frown when he/she promounces certain words. I am not spared. I used to pronounce the word gift with a "dg" instead of "gi" untill my friend whose name is gift could not tolerate it anymore and told me.
nakubali mkuu, nimeshuhudia wachina wakipata taabu sana kutamka maneno yanayoanza na herufi 'r', vilevile nimegundua wajapani hawana 'l', wafaransa hawaitamki 'h' kabisa, ndiyo maana neno kama alhaji wanatamka alaji.