Report card on EA pupils out: Kenya leads Uganda and TZ

Nyie pigeni kelele.. nadhani hii ita wa interest.

allAfrica.com: Tanzania: Failures - Parents in the Firing Line

It is often said that for effective learning to take place, schools must provide an environment that is conducive to learning. Experts argue that students learn better where the surroundings are serene, far from the madding crowd.
It also makes it easier for teachers to deliver effectively without too many distractions. But is this all there is to make learning easier for pupils?
A recent random survey Success reveals that teachers and pupils themselves believe most parents contribute significantly to the poor performance of their children at school. And the majority of parents who spoke to Success exposed their lack of involvement and knowledge about their children's education or the environment in which they learn at school.
Some of the basic questions over 20 parents failed to answer included information about the names of their children's teachers; when they last visited the school to discuss their children's performance, and how they helped their children study or do assignments at home.
Others were about the school environment: whether or not there were enough textbooks, desks and chairs for students at their children's school; and the sanitation and hygiene situation.
Too many gaps to fill
"There are too many gaps in our education system, which cause students to perform badly, and to come out of this situation, there is need for concerted efforts by the government and parents," says Salum Mnjagila, the director for adult education in the ministry of Education and Vocational Training.
But how far should parents go to create the ideal learning for their children?
Abigaili Ishinde, 37, is a single mother of three. A customer care officer with a mobile provider, she confesses to be "in the dark" when it comes to her children's schoolwork.
"Don't I look like a fool now?" she asks herself in a recent interview, after scratching her head to answer questions about her children's school life.
"It does not mean that I do not care about how my children perform at school," she says, adding, "It is just that sometimes the work that we do as single mothers, taking care of the children can be overwhelming."
The last time Ishinde remembers asking her children for their examination reports was when they had come asking for her to buy them new books for another grade. And she is not alone in this.Aisha Ramadhani, a Standard Six pupil at Mtambani Primary School, says her parents are "usually busy", therefore, they cannot check her exercise books, let alone regularly visit her at school.â-¨"I don't recall the last time my father or mother attended the parent-teacher meetings where important matters are discussed," she says.

And it is not just in urban areas where parents pay fees and then leave everything else to the teachers. Reagan Apolinary, 12, a Standard Five pupil at Boma Primary School in Rombo District, Kilimanjaro Region, goes to school with unkempt hair, his uniform unwashed for most part of the week.
At his school, Success talked to the young boy and his head teacher during a recent visit to the district. "He has not been doing well for a while now; his mother is sick and the father is rarely home in the afternoon," said the school's head teacher.
Reagan corroborates. He adds that even when everyone is at home and feeling well, nobody pays attention to his schoolwork. "They (his parents) wouldn't care less about my performance because they don't even check my exercise books," he told Success.
An annual learning assessment by Uwezo Tanzania shows that one in every five primary school leavers in Tanzania cannot read Standard Two level Kiswahili, and half the children, who complete primary school cannot read English.
The assessment done in 1,140 villages in 38 districts, sampled a total of 42,033 children aged between five and 16 in 22,800 households. Though dismissed by the government as not representative enough, the report has been cited as an indicator of the real situation on the ground.
"The situation is like this because parents send their children to school but do not bother to follow up on their performance," says Mnjagila, commenting on the report.
A teacher at Huruma Primary School in Rombo District, Sylvia Moshi notes that with parents' lack of concern about what goes on at school, pupils lack focus.
"It's easy to separate a pupil whose parents are concerned and one with careless parents," she says.
"There are parents at our school who have not paid a single cent in four to five years, they give little value to education."
Wake up to reality
Mwafulila Kembe, academic master at Kawe Primary School, says that pupils often take advantage of their parents' lack of regular follow-up and involvement in what goes on at school to lie and forge exam results.
"It is time parents woke up to this reality because we face the danger of churning out failures and liars," he says.
Shaban Urio, a father of two, works in Dar es Salaam while his wife and children live in Arusha. "I go there once a month and stay for only two days. How possible is it for me to pay regular visits to my children's school?" he queries.
"I tend to believe that my responsibility as a father is to pay school fees, bring food home. I don't think not knowing who the academic teacher, or how many toilets the school has is such a big deal."

Nyie pigeni kelele.. nadhani hii ita wa interest.

allAfrica.com: Tanzania: Failures - Parents in the Firing Line

It is often said that for effective learning to take place, schools must provide an environment that is conducive to learning. Experts argue that students learn better where the surroundings are serene, far from the madding crowd.
It also makes it easier for teachers to deliver effectively without too many distractions. But is this all there is to make learning easier for pupils?
A recent random survey Success reveals that teachers and pupils themselves believe most parents contribute significantly to the poor performance of their children at school. And the majority of parents who spoke to Success exposed their lack of involvement and knowledge about their children's education or the environment in which they learn at school.
Some of the basic questions over 20 parents failed to answer included information about the names of their children's teachers; when they last visited the school to discuss their children's performance, and how they helped their children study or do assignments at home.
Others were about the school environment: whether or not there were enough textbooks, desks and chairs for students at their children's school; and the sanitation and hygiene situation.
Too many gaps to fill
"There are too many gaps in our education system, which cause students to perform badly, and to come out of this situation, there is need for concerted efforts by the government and parents," says Salum Mnjagila, the director for adult education in the ministry of Education and Vocational Training.
But how far should parents go to create the ideal learning for their children?
Abigaili Ishinde, 37, is a single mother of three. A customer care officer with a mobile provider, she confesses to be "in the dark" when it comes to her children's schoolwork.
"Don't I look like a fool now?" she asks herself in a recent interview, after scratching her head to answer questions about her children's school life.
"It does not mean that I do not care about how my children perform at school," she says, adding, "It is just that sometimes the work that we do as single mothers, taking care of the children can be overwhelming."
The last time Ishinde remembers asking her children for their examination reports was when they had come asking for her to buy them new books for another grade. And she is not alone in this.Aisha Ramadhani, a Standard Six pupil at Mtambani Primary School, says her parents are "usually busy", therefore, they cannot check her exercise books, let alone regularly visit her at school.â-¨"I don't recall the last time my father or mother attended the parent-teacher meetings where important matters are discussed," she says.

And it is not just in urban areas where parents pay fees and then leave everything else to the teachers. Reagan Apolinary, 12, a Standard Five pupil at Boma Primary School in Rombo District, Kilimanjaro Region, goes to school with unkempt hair, his uniform unwashed for most part of the week.
At his school, Success talked to the young boy and his head teacher during a recent visit to the district. "He has not been doing well for a while now; his mother is sick and the father is rarely home in the afternoon," said the school's head teacher.
Reagan corroborates. He adds that even when everyone is at home and feeling well, nobody pays attention to his schoolwork. "They (his parents) wouldn't care less about my performance because they don't even check my exercise books," he told Success.
An annual learning assessment by Uwezo Tanzania shows that one in every five primary school leavers in Tanzania cannot read Standard Two level Kiswahili, and half the children, who complete primary school cannot read English.
The assessment done in 1,140 villages in 38 districts, sampled a total of 42,033 children aged between five and 16 in 22,800 households. Though dismissed by the government as not representative enough, the report has been cited as an indicator of the real situation on the ground.
"The situation is like this because parents send their children to school but do not bother to follow up on their performance," says Mnjagila, commenting on the report.
A teacher at Huruma Primary School in Rombo District, Sylvia Moshi notes that with parents' lack of concern about what goes on at school, pupils lack focus.
"It's easy to separate a pupil whose parents are concerned and one with careless parents," she says.
"There are parents at our school who have not paid a single cent in four to five years, they give little value to education."
Wake up to reality
Mwafulila Kembe, academic master at Kawe Primary School, says that pupils often take advantage of their parents' lack of regular follow-up and involvement in what goes on at school to lie and forge exam results.
"It is time parents woke up to this reality because we face the danger of churning out failures and liars," he says.
Shaban Urio, a father of two, works in Dar es Salaam while his wife and children live in Arusha. "I go there once a month and stay for only two days. How possible is it for me to pay regular visits to my children's school?" he queries.
"I tend to believe that my responsibility as a father is to pay school fees, bring food home. I don't think not knowing who the academic teacher, or how many toilets the school has is such a big deal."
how is the situation different to the larger Kenya i.e. the Northern provinces ( where hunger is the order of the day) places like Isiolo, Merti, Sirati, the Coastal and other provinces with the exclusion of Central and Rift Valley Provinces and Nairobi! Cause you are sleeping for sure to think the situation is much different in Kenya's Ushagoo!

If you are a middle-class child in Kenya, you are more likely to complete your education and have better basic numeracy and literacy skills than a rich child in Uganda or Tanzania.
However, if you are a poor student in Kenya, you will be worse educated than a similar child in Uganda or Tanzania. These are the stark findings of a survey by East African education think tank Uwezo conducted in June, which evaluates the state of literacy and numeracy in Kenya, Tanzania and Uganda.
For example, in Kenya, 31 per cent of children from poor households in Standard 3 passed the numeracy test, as compared with 28 per cent of children from the wealthiest of households in Uganda who passed this test.
At least 19 per cent of Kenyan children from the poorest households passed the English test, as compared with 16 per cent of children from the wealthiest households in Tanzania who passed this test.
Starker still than the disparities between countries and between rich and poor is the revelation that educational quality is alarmingly low. Poor quality education is steadily eroding East Africa's skills base, severely undermining the hopes of industrialisation in the next few decades.
Despite a steady increase in primary school enrolment across the region, the majority of children do not gain even Standard 2 level skills until they are almost finished with primary school. Many never learn these skills at all.
"Even though Kenya is ahead, as a whole the region is doing quite badly. It's like a house with a hopelessly weak foundation," said Dr Sara Ruto of Uwezo, adding that urgent measures need to be taken to improve the basics of numeracy and literacy.
The study did not cover Burundi and Rwanda, the new members of the East African Community, whose education systems are not yet as similar as those in the other three EAC nations.
The study on the state of primary schools found that Kenya's schools impart the most knowledge. And in the three tests - Kiswahili, English and numeracy - Kenya's pupils came out on top, followed by pupils in Uganda.

Soma zaidi hapa
and 54% of kenyans are living under 1$ compare to 37% in Tanzania according to CIA facts! do ur maths to see who is worse here

idiot blueband inatengenezwa na Unilevel Plc a Dutch company so is colgate! therefore a global brand and not Kenyan (so are bata shoes by Canadian company)! Mtaendelea kujisifu na brands za wengine mpk kufa nyang'au nyie! even tusker beer is Diageo Plc owned! just recently Tanzania seazed a chance to have truely Tanzanian owned beer company by selling 51% of Serengeti Brew to Diageo Plc! But at least we managed to have a local beer company unlike Kenya!

Afterall hata Tanzania, blueband inatengenezwa na hata kama Kenya wakizuia then we will import it from Nigeria, Ghana or South Africa! BTW we have plenty of Tanbond in the market! I am disgraced with a contributor called Mentor; to him he thinks like Kenyans, keep worshiping then but TZ depends nothing, i repeat depends nothing from Kenya! Bastards!

Mh, Geza..una hasira...mim hapa siko kukasirikiana wala kusifiana if you have noticed av maintained a Non Alligned position...nakosoa wotewote!
Pili, hiyo ya blueband nimeona ameieka kama kiutani na mimi nikamjibu kiutani....sasa wewe umeendeleza hasira mkuu,lol..pole kwa kunielewa vibaya!
AM PROUDLY TANZANIAN...and forever I will be!
Ila hainizuii ku have fun where the need be (ungemsoma vizuri ungemnyaka...btn the lines i.e.) and criticise...even if it is my fellow country man!
TAKE IT EASY BRO...Maisha ni mafupi kuanza kukasirikiana....
PA1.

and 54% of kenyans are living under 1$ compare to 37% in Tanzania according to CIA facts! do ur maths to see who is worse here

Hahaha...WE ARE! that's the fact...lol
hope sijakuudhi tena...
deep down u know this is true!!! heheheh

i just checked on how many schools offers those international considere superioreducation sytem not the ones on Kenyan media! On international baccalaureate (ib), i compared Kenya to Tanzania since only students from these schools are sure of being admitted to a reputable university directly upon finishing their pre university studies in the US or EU (a known fact)! Guess what the result are suprizing! With all the noises these fools are making here, they have 5 schools (International Baccalaureate) that offer ib just as Tanzania (International Baccalaureate)! So i am wondering what was all about for the like of Nomasana and Smata making noises here while they are well aware of the fact that their secondary education can not take them to a prestigious university in the US or EU (lets say IMTU or Havard) till they acquire A level certificate! Probably they are unaware they have only 5 ib schools (just as Tanzania) and not 10 to brag about! Then i checked Cambridge International examination (cie) schools the number of schools offering that curriculum is 8 for Tanzania (Top results for Tanzanian students in Cambridge exams) whereas for Kenya is 9 (Talented Kenyan students excel in Cambridge examinations) though that is for 2008 and the website didn't openly classify them as cie schools! so why the hell is all these noises? while the chances of international acceptance for Kenyan students remain minimum considering they don't have a levels!

i just checked on how many schools offers international baccalaureate (ib) in Kenya compared to Tanzania since only students from these schools are sure of being admitted to a reputable university directly upon finishing their pre university studies in the US or EU! Guess what the result are suprizing! With all the noises these fools are making here, they have 5 schools (International Baccalaureate) that offer ib just as Tanzania (International Baccalaureate)! So i am wondering what was all about for the like of Nomasana and Smata making noises here while they are well aware of the fact that their secondary education can not take them to a prestigious university in the US or EU (lets say IMTU or Havard) till they acquire A level certificate! Probably they are unaware they have only 5 ib schools (just as Tanzania) and not 10 to brag about! Then i checked Cambridge International examination schools the number of schools offering that curriculum is 8 for Tanzania (Top results for Tanzanian students in Cambridge exams) whereas for Kenya is 9 (Talented Kenyan students excel in Cambridge examinations) though that is for 2008 and the website didn't openly classify them as ib schools! so why the hell is all these noises? while the chances of international acceptance for Kenyan students remain minimum considering they don't have a levels!

Stupid!

Boss tukubaliane kitu moja, education system yenyu iko chini tu sana, hiyo ni FACT na nyinyi wote mnajua na ndio maana wale wabongo kidogo wanajiweza wanawaleta watoto wao Kenya na UG wapate angalau masomo ya kweli, nanyi mkija huku mnajulikana ya kuwa nyie ni mambumbumbu na wengi wenyu wanavuta mkia darasani.

Si jaribu ku prove anything lakini msipobadilisha mwenendo wenyu na mjue kuaccept critisism, basi mnapoelekea ni pabaya sana, na hakikisheni watoto wenyu wamesoma coz this EAC thing is a monster which will kill a generation of illiterate and lazy Tanzanians.
Arrogance is the highest form ignorance....I attended school in Kenya so hiwezi kuniambia kwamba Watanzania ni wajinga.Huwezi kusema watu fulani ni wajinga,ni sawa na kukubaliana na wazungu wanaposema kuwa sisi watu weusi ni wajinga.
Wakenya mmesoma lakini bado mna akili za kinyama...what you have is merely more papers than us.Mbona watanzania kibao tu wamejoin ALLIANCE,STAREHE,YALA,MANGU...How did we manage to join your best school if you claim we are mbumbumbu?Arrogance is a twin sister to ignorance my dear.

mara nyingi WATZ hampendi kuambiwa ukweli. kuna WATZ wako form 2 hawajui hata kusoma hadiz za kiswahili na hata kuandika jina lao vizuri. eti walifaulu na wamejaa kwenye shule zetu za kata. kama hamtaki kuamini nendeni shule inayoitwa mdaula pale chalinze. mkawafnyie wanafunzi wake research ili muweze kujibu utafiti kwa utafiti na siyo kujibu from no where.

Wakenya nawakubali hata kujieleza kwenye majukwaa wametushinda. WaTZ tutabaki na kujivunia kuongea KISWAHILI fasaha wenzetu wanaendelea kula kuku kielimu. Mkenya anakudanganya anajifunza Kiswahili lakini na Kiengereza anakimudu kama lugha na kama lugha iliyompa maarifa ya kielimu. hivi huwa hamuwaangalii kwenye Tusker Project Fame wanavyochangia mada kwa Kiingereza safi na Kiswahili?

Amka WaTZ tuache kuwasema wenzetu vibaya. Tujitahidi tuwafikie na tutamani kuwa kama wao.

mara nyingi WATZ hampendi kuambiwa ukweli. kuna WATZ wako form 2 hawajui hata kusoma hadiz za kiswahili na hata kuandika jina lao vizuri. eti walifaulu na wamejaa kwenye shule zetu za kata. kama hamtaki kuamini nendeni shule inayoitwa mdaula pale chalinze. mkawafnyie wanafunzi wake research ili muweze kujibu utafiti kwa utafiti na siyo kujibu from no where. Wakenya nawakubali hata kujieleza kwenye majukwaa wametushinda. WaTZ tutabaki na kujivunia kuongea KISWAHILI fasaha wenzetu wanaendelea kula kuku kielimu. Mkenya anakudanganya anajifunza Kiswahili lakini na Kiengereza anakimudu kama lugha na kama lugha iliyompa maarifa ya kielimu. hivi huwa hamuwaangalii kwenye Tusker Project Fame wanavyochangia mada kwa Kiingereza safi na Kiswahili? Amka WaTZ tuache kuwasema wenzetu vibaya. Tujitahidi tuwafikie na tutamani kuwa kama wao.
Isiolo Kenya kuna shule za namna hiyo pia

What's wrong with u people!? Insulting each other left and right!this will not help us at all.The fact is our educational systems r in a complete mess,the report gives us some clues and loopholes we need to address.

What's wrong with u people!? Insulting each other left and right!this will not help us at all.The fact is our educational systems r in a complete mess,the report gives us some clues and loopholes we need to address.
"ours" meaning Kenya's sio!

Allow me to differ with you in this too..
Zanzibar hawafundishwi kuwa wingi wa ndizi==mandizi! (huo ni mfano mmoja)..I have my cousins waliosomea Kenya primary to high school, so, tusidanganyane.

In any way, why are we (TZ & KE) fighting over results that ashame both of us?
why dont we discuss ways we-as citicens-can improve the quality of our education?

Thank you Mentor...Why are we fighting and we are in the same boat. Why can't we ever have coherent discussions that do not simply become "cyber boxing matches"? We can sit back and compare our tragedies and misfortunes the whole damn day lakini if we do not rise up above these types of pettiness we are all doomed. The truth of the matter is that Education is key and i know alot of parents/studenst will go to any corner of the workld to fulfill their educational needs. If he pocket allows most students run to the US, Canada and the Uk. But since most students have middle to low class backgrounds they do their best to cope and get education wherever its avaialable. The Kenyans will go to UG for A level if they think that it will put them ahead of the game. Like wise the TZdians will send their kids to Kenya and Uganda.

idiot blueband inatengenezwa na Unilevel Plc a Dutch company so is colgate by Palmolive Plc! therefore a global brand and not Kenyan (so are bata shoes by Canadian company)! Mtaendelea kujisifu na brands za wengine mpk kufa nyang'au nyie! even tusker beer is Diageo Plc owned! just recently Tanzania seazed a chance to have truely Tanzanian owned beer company by selling 51% of Serengeti Brew to Diageo Plc! But at least we managed to have a local beer company unlike Kenya!

Afterall hata Tanzania, blueband inatengenezwa na hata kama Kenya wakizuia then we will import it from Nigeria, Ghana or South Africa! BTW we have plenty of Tanbond in the market so is Whitedent and Ahh as substitutes of colgate! I am disgraced with a contributor called Mentor; to him he thinks like Kenyans, keep worshiping then but TZ depends nothing, i repeat depends nothing from Kenya! Bastards!

Funny and i do not mean haha funny! what a waste of space. Grow up!

"ours" meaning Kenya's sio!
Partly yes because we believe that we still have some few things to improve,however the report points to the pathetic state of all East African educational systems which need a radical surgery, in order to have skilled and competent East Africans to take this region to the next level. However the TZniajns system is so horrible! The level of unskilled, incompetent,unreasonable and unreliable graduates it produces is amazing!! No wonder TZnians r always afraid of EAC coz "outsiders " will take their jobs!! Now Uwezo has given us a mirror to see

Partly yes because we believe that we still have some few things to improve,however the report points to the pathetic state of all East African educational systems which need a radical surgery, in order to have skilled and competent East Africans to take this region to the next level. However the TZniajns system is so horrible! The level of unskilled, incompetent,unreasonable and unreliable graduates it produces is amazing!! No wonder TZnians r always afraid of EAC coz "outsiders " will take their jobs!! Now Uwezo has given us a mirror to see

See how arrogant you are let me ask you if we are unskilled, incompetent why bother forcing to us to join you Nincamputs!!!! Si muendelee na upuuzi wenu wa East Africa. We do not want east african union because:-

a. It will affect our economic growth which we are leading by far from you arrogant fools.
b. We know your intention for Tanzania joining East Africa is our land since you guys ended up living in Slums since all the land you have given it to foreigners and fisadis in your country.
c. Kenyans are not innovative for you information there are alot of Tanzanians working in Kenya. Local Kenyans are unemployed since they lack creativity and technical know how. Due high unemployment (40% of Kenyans graduate are unemployed compared to 26% of Tanzanians graduates) they are willing to work anyway as long there is a job (cheap labour).

Uwezo research is disguisting as it lacks a real motivations to investigate the problem but rather they created a ring fencing questions to satisfy their ill intentions.

Back
Top Bottom