Only one black student was admitted at Oxford last year

EMT

Platinum Member
Jan 13, 2010
The UK Prime minister have criticized Oxford saying that only one black person went to Oxford last year. He said: “I saw figures the other day that showed that only one black person went to Oxford last year. I think that is disgraceful, we have got to do better than that.” As a five-minute glance at the Oxford University website reveals, Oxford actually admitted at least 20 black British students last year. And that’s only the number to have actually told Oxford their ethnicity.

Last year by a Labour MP claimed to have discovered (presumably also by visiting Oxford’s website) that “just one British black Caribbean student was admitted to Oxford” in 2009. The MP's claim was subsequently discredited as it emerged quite how selective he had been with his statistics.

Oxford University has now responded. They point out that Oxford admitted 41 British undergraduates from black backgrounds in 2009 and that 22 per cent of Oxford students are from ethnic minority backgrounds. A spokesperson from the university said: “The figure quoted by the Prime Minister is incorrect and highly misleading”. Ouch.

What is this now? Why do people have to reveal their ethnic background? I thought we were past all this affirmative action nonsense stuff. SMH

[QUOTE=Nyani Ngabu;1843328]What is this now? Why do people have to reveal their ethnic background? I thought we were past all this affirmative action nonsense stuff. SMH[/QUOTE]

This is very common to western countries Universities where all students need to reveal their ethinic backgroud and nationality. Basically, is for statistics purpose for university to know the ratio of each ethnic to the entire university population.

Back
Top Bottom