On time,in time .What are the differences?

Aqua

JF-Expert Member
Jul 23, 2012
Habari Jukwaa la lugha,sorry can someone explain the difference in meaning between "arrive on time" and "arrive in time".Thank you in advance

arrive in time maana yake kama ni saa 7 basi yeye amefika saa saba na dk 1 na kuendelea ,lakini on time maana yake ni exactly saa saba juu ya alama

arrive in time maana yake kama ni saa 7 basi yeye amefika saa saba na dk 1 na kuendelea ,lakini on time maana yake ni exactly saa saba juu ya alama

Thanks for trying.Inaonekana lugha ni tatizo tangu jana hadi muda huu,jibu ni moja tu.Wataalam wa English hatuna au?

Thanks for trying.Inaonekana lugha ni tatizo tangu jana hadi muda huu,jibu ni moja tu.Wataalam wa English hatuna au?
Niliweka swali hili nione ufahamu wetu wa Tz ukoje,inaonekana kazi ipo tukaze buti.
arrive in time=arrive before the time arranged arrive,say kama mlikubaliana kukutana saa3 asubuhi,wewe unafika saa2:50 asubuhi, arrive on time=arrive exactly on the time arranged.Thanks

Aqua,
I respectfully disagree. In time has nothing to do with before the time agreed upon or whatnot. I think that "In time" deals more with a given event whereas "on time" deals with a definite time on the clock. On time = at the precise time agreed upon. In fact, you could be there a bit earlier and still have it be considered "on time".
So..."Be here in time for the party" doesnt' give exact starting time of party, as long as you are there when it starts. Time could vary. "Be here on time for the party" implies a specific time. My 2 cents worth...

Aqua,
I respectfully disagree. In time has nothing to do with before the time agreed upon or whatnot. I think that "In time" deals more with a given event whereas "on time" deals with a definite time on the clock. On time = at the precise time agreed upon. In fact, you could be there a bit earlier and still have it be considered "on time".
So..."Be here in time for the party" doesnt' give exact starting time of party, as long as you are there when it starts. Time could vary. "Be here on time for the party" implies a specific time. My 2 cents worth...

With due respect Mama Mwamba, I would wish to join in the discussion as an opponent as far as your points are concerned. We don't need to employ implied meanings in direct phrases like 'on/in time'. They are self explanatory in themselves. On time implies the idea of adding or deducting 0 minutes to/from the agreed upon time. Let say your appointment was set for 1345 hours; your arrival lies exactly on that stated time (plus or minus zero). But when we talk of in time, we mean nothing but your arrival may be effected some minutes before or even after the agreed upon time. So when you arrive, say 1343 or 1347 hours of the time in reference, then you have arrived in time. I think the phrases simply work that way.

I salute!

With due respect Mama Mwamba, I would wish to join in the discussion as an opponent as far as your points are concerned. We don't need to employ implied meanings in direct phrases like 'on/in time'. They are self explanatory in themselves. On time implies the idea of adding or deducting 0 minutes to/from the agreed upon time. Let say your appointment was set for 1345 hours; your arrival lies exactly on that stated time (plus or minus zero). But when we talk of in time, we mean nothing but your arrival may be effected some minutes before or even after the agreed upon time. So when you arrive, say 1343 or 1347 hours of the time in reference, then you have arrived in time. I think the phrases simply work that way.

I salute!

let me join the discussion.i a gree with mama mwamba.the phrase is selfexplanatory.

hebu ulizeni hilo swali lenu kwa kiswahili ili na sisi tuliosoma HGK tuchangie.

Wazo lako ni jema, jema sana georgeallen. Ingawa najua baadhi ya wanajamvi wanaweza kujiuliza ulitumia lugha gani kusoma H na G kwenye mchepuo wako wa HGK?

"in time" = AMEWAHI MILANGO YA MUDA ULIOKUWA UNATAKIWA
"on time" = AMEFIKA MUDA HUO HUO ALIOTAKIWA

Jamani kwa hiyo jibu sahihi hapa ni lipi? Hebu tujuzeni na sisi wengine tupate kuelimika.

I salute!

You started right unfortunately the red highlighted part made your explanation wrong.When you reach after the time arranged ,that is no longer in time, it is" you are late".Only if you remove the red highlighted words we will be on the same page.Thanks

Mh!tiririkeni,ila wengine apo juu kwa heshima yenu futeni ushauri manake mko chaka na wengine wanajoin same opinion

Jamani kwa hiyo jibu sahihi hapa ni lipi? Hebu tujuzeni na sisi wengine tupate kuelimika.

Jibu nililitoa muda mrefu baada ya kuona watu hawatoi msaada:
ontime=exactly on the time arranged
intime=just before the time arranged(na siyo baada ya muda)

You started right unfortunately the red highlighted part made your explanation wrong.When you reach after the time arranged ,that is no longer in time, it is" you are late".Only if you remove the red highlighted words we will be on the same page.Thanks
Thank you very much Aqua! Your challenge takes me directly to authentic sources for speculation. Just spare me some hours, I must be back the most possible immediate time!

Read Mama Mwamba's explanation. She is right. If it is not clear, study her examples you will see she is correct.

WADAU WA UGA HUU WA LUGHA.
Hili suala la in na on huwa linasumbua sana katika matumizi. Ni vyema kurejelea katika kamusi ya kiingereza ya Oxford. Nami napenda kuwatwika ukakasi zaidi katika hili la kuhusu IN na ON.
Ipi ni sahihi kati ya sentensi hizi.
I sleep IN bed
Isleep ON bed.

WADAU WA UGA HUU WA LUGHA.
Hili suala la in na on huwa linasumbua sana katika matumizi. Ni vyema kurejelea katika kamusi ya kiingereza ya Oxford. Nami napenda kuwatwika ukakasi zaidi katika hili la kuhusu IN na ON.
Ipi ni sahihi kati ya sentensi hizi.
I sleep IN bed
I sleep ON bed.

preposition ni topic amabayo inasumbua sana coz wengi tunapojifunza vitu huwa tunapenda general rule ili maisha yawe mepesi.Preposition ni nyingi sana to answer your qns

I sleep IN bed=inamaanisha umelala kitandani na umejifunika shuka au kitu chohote point hapa ni unakuwa ndani ya kitu fulani(say shuka,kanga).in ni prepositon ya place,generally inaonyesha kuwa ndani yakitu.

I sleep ON bed=inamaanisha kulala kitandani ila hujajifunika kitu i.e you are not enclosed(there is a bed on which you are laying on but there is nothing covering you on top).Hapa on ni preposition ya place ila ni open space siyo enclosed.
Hope it is clear,I am no good in explaining by wrting.