On measures of the HIV reservoir in participants with recent HIV infection (the RIVER trial): a phase 2, randomised trial

Daisy Llilies

JF-Expert Member
Apr 19, 2019
Summary

Background

Antiretroviral therapy (ART) cannot cure HIV infection because of a persistent reservoir of latently infected cells. Approaches that force HIV transcription from these cells, making them susceptible to killing—termed kick and kill regimens—have been explored as a strategy towards an HIV cure. RIVER is the first randomised trial to determine the effect of ART-only versus ART plus kick and kill on markers of the HIV reservoir.
Methods

This phase 2, open-label, multicentre, randomised, controlled trial was undertaken at six clinical sites in the UK. Patients aged 18–60 years who were confirmed as HIV-positive within a maximum of the past 6 months and started ART within 1 month from confirmed diagnosis were randomly assigned by a computer generated randomisation list to receive ART-only (control) or ART plus the histone deacetylase inhibitor vorinostat (the kick) and replication-deficient viral vector T-cell inducing vaccines encoding conserved HIV sequences ChAdV63. HIVconsv-prime and MVA.HIVconsv-boost (the kill; ART + V + V; intervention). The primary endpoint was total HIV DNA isolated from peripheral blood CD4 + T-cells at weeks 16 and 18 after randomisation. Analysis was by intention to treat. This trial is registered with ClinicalTrials.gov, NCT02336074.
Findings

Between June 14, 2015 and Jul 11, 2017, 60 men with HIV were randomly assigned to receive either an ART-only (n=30) or an ART + V + V (n=30) regimen; all 60 participants completed the study, with no loss-to-follow-up. Mean total HIV DNA at weeks 16 and 18 after randomisation was 3·02 log 10 copies HIV DNA per 10 6 CD4 + T-cells in the ART-only group versus 3·06 log 10 copies HIV DNA per 10 6 CD4 + T-cells in ART + V + V group, with no statistically significant difference between the two groups (mean difference of 0·04 log 10 copies HIV DNA per 10 6 CD4 + T-cells [95% CI −0·03 to 0·11; p=0·26]). There were no intervention-related serious adverse events.
Interpretation

This kick and kill approach conferred no significant benefit compared with ART alone on measures of the HIV reservoir. Although this does not disprove the efficacy kick and kill strategy, for future trials enhancement of both kick and kill agents will be required.
Funding

phase 2, randomised trial

Prof Sarah Fidler, PhD
Wolfgang Stöhr, PhD
Matt Pace, PhD
Prof Lucy Dorrell, DM
Prof Andrew Lever, PhD
Prof Sarah Pett, PhD
et al.
Show all authors
Published:February 18, 2020DOI:Redirecting

Medical Research Council (MR/L00528X/1).

What were the results for Kick and kill approach in employed on the 30 participants who were put on ART+V+V ?
If there was no statistical significance between the results obtained from the two groups, why do you think there is a need to proceed with further with phase two randomized trial??

Happy dude

What were the results for Kick and kill approach in employed on the 30 participants who were put on ART+V+V ?
If there was no statistical significance between the results obtained from the two groups, why do you think there is a need to proceed with further with phase two randomized trial??

Happy dude

This is a phase 2 of a Randomised Trial, they haven’t given up though the statistics significance shows no difference between ART and ART+V+V because there is a room of improving shake and kill technique in the foresee future.

This is a phase 2 of a Randomised Trial, they haven’t given up though the statistics significance shows no difference between ART and ART+V+V because there is a room of improving shake and kill technique in the foresee future.

Ooh I didn’t see it as phase Two, by the way drug discovery has not been easy as assembling of bamboo bicycles in our country.! I like their positive energy of not giving up, whoever will come with the cure for HIV infection forever will be remembered.
Virus have a very complex genetics when it comes to targeting their very special metabolic pathways as they don’t have metabolic process of their own. It may take centuries to come up with cure unless God’s intervention.

Happy dude

Ooh I didn’t see it as phase Two, by the way drug discovery has not been easy as assembling of bamboo bicycles in our country.! I like their positive energy of not giving up, whoever will come with the cure for HIV infection forever will be remembered.
Virus have a very complex genetics when it comes to targeting their very special metabolic pathways as they don’t have metabolic process of their own. It may take centuries to come up with cure unless God’s intervention.

Happy dude
A Belgium Dr who is conducting his research in South Africa with determination to find HIV cure stated that HIV genes starts decoding themselves after 60-72 hours without ART therapy, has observed it for few years.

A Belgium Dr who is conducting his research in South Africa with determination to find HIV cure stated that HIV genes starts decoding themselves after 60-72 hours without ART therapy, has observed it for few years.

Wow.. this is a very interesting area where I am expecting to be working in the future. I did a little research when i was in last year in college where the passion of doing it started to burn inside me, hope there is a time in the future when I will leave my name in the books. But am pretty sure that there are so much to do to come up with the cure, Money and technology and so much more...

Happy dude

Wow.. this is a very interesting area where I am expecting to be working in the future. I did a little research when i was in last year in college where the passion of doing it started to burn inside me, hope there is a time in the future when I will leave my name in the books. But am pretty sure that there are so much to do to come up with the cure, Money and technology and so much more...

Happy dude
Let me put your name ina prayers,you seems to have great dreams toward curing HIV.
Your sun will never set

Back
Top Bottom