My open Letter to President Kikwete of Tanzania

Shadow

JF-Expert Member
May 19, 2008
My open letter to the president J.K. of Tanzania:

Your Excellence,

I am humbly honored to take this opportunity to communicate with you via Jamii Forum, Mr. President. I would have used a conventional way to reach you but the system does not permit me to do so. To start with, I have to thank you for your personal will to fight corruption even though ‘the system' might be working against you. Thank you for following your conscious to fight corruption, but Mr. President, I need to remind you that what about the list of drug dealers and the war against them?

Mr. President, I don't want to delay you from your busy schedule so let me derive my points home.

Mr. President, I know you have heard about the global economic crisis and some recommendation from Wall Street or from U.K. I know the suggestions echoed to you sound too good to be true.

My argument is that yes it is true that the world economy is in crisis. I know you know that when the developed world likes U.S. when its economy sneeze our economy mush catch flu. Generally, it may sound like that but Tanzania economy is more than that.

I have studied the working of decision makers and arrived to the conclusion that they are the committing our economy to the knees and make the general public suffer from economic malnutrition. This has been caused by lack of responsibility by many of your subordinates.
I always not only identify the problem but I am also honored to offer you my solution on the problem I have raised.

Mr. President, we believe in the rule of law and good governance which is butter and bread for any social and economic development. Mr. President, you have all the power to make things possible for the sake of the nation and its people. There is a need to make your appointment to be subjected to the other arm of government I mean to be subjected to the scrutiny of the parliament.

Mr. President, many of African countries have failed because of not having a political will to drive changes an example of ANC and South Africa.

Mr. President, you can steer the process by initiating the constitution review process. Constitution has to meet the need of the day. Any law is supposed to be a living thing and not static. Mr. President, let us look at the appointment of the cabinet ministers. Mr. President, the power of appointment granted by the current constitution, does not reflect a free and democratic society. Mr. President, you will be remembered if you revamp some of your powers of appointment. I am not asking you to loose your power of appointment but I am asking you to shy away from those provisions which suit a single party system and can not be applicable to any democratic society.

Mr. President, there is a need for you to initiate a motion to amend the constitution to give power to the parliament to vet and scrutinize the competence of all senior appointees. Furthermore, let us make law that a minister must not be a serving member of parliament to avoid conflict of interest. The same can be applied to all regional commissioners and district commissioners.

Mr. President, if you do that then we might get some sort of ‘clean' ministers and avoid several cabinet reshuffles. Mr. President, I know you receive vetting for these ministers but I am pretty sure that the public will do a very good job to make sure that dirty person does not sail through to the cabinet level. If you live by your conscious, I hope you will give some weight to this proposal.

Once again, Mr. President, help the Tanzanians by making the cabinet ministers serve you and not being selected among the Member of Parliament. Make all senior civil servants be subjected to parliamentary approval. Let the parliament ‘assist' you on this issue.

Mr. President, I hope to come back later with some other burning issues.

Thank you and God bless Tanzania,

Shadow.

Last edited:
Mkuu hii ungeandika kwa anuani ya ikulu,moja moja kwa moja,au utume kwa postal adress manake sidhani kama Jk anaingia humu JF wala wasaidizi wake,vinginevyo uifanye ni makala manake magazeti wanasomaga.

Ni vizuri kutoa maoni. Lakini jee barua kama hii si ingekuwa vizuri zaidi kama ingeandikwa Kiswahili? Kama inabidi kuandika kwa Kiingereza basi lugha hiyo itumike kwa ufasaha. Proof-reading was definitely required.

Mkuu hii ungeandika kwa anuani ya ikulu,moja moja kwa moja,au utume kwa postal adress manake sidhani kama Jk anaingia humu JF wala wasaidizi wake,vinginevyo uifanye ni makala manake magazeti wanasomaga.
Yumo, na anasoma tu. Naamini itakuwa printed hii na ataipitia akipata muda wa kupumzika.

Trust me, JK ni mtu anayejua matumizi ya mtandao na JF anaitembelea mara kadhaa. Maswali sintoyajibu zaidi.

JK anapitia sana JF pamoja na watu wake. Mkuu anajua kila kitu kilichopo hapa JF hivyo ujumbe huu ni lazima umefika kwake lakini hatojibu kwa kuandika sana sana atajibu kwa vitendo.

JK anapitia sana JF pamoja na watu wake. Mkuu anajua kila kitu kilichopo hapa JF hivyo ujumbe huu ni lazima umefika kwake lakini hatojibu kwa kuandika sana sana atajibu kwa vitendo.

Kama alivyostukiza Bandari

Ya bandari acha, kwani bado msululu wa meli uko pale pale, na wenye mizigo bado tuna suffer, tunazidi kutishiwa kodi za storage hadi wengine mizigo yetu tunaikimbia, kisha wanavuna kiulaini!!!

Shadow GEMBE kila mara anamwandikia barua mheshimiwa lakini hatujawahi kuona response ya mambo tunayomuomba

Kama anasoma, basi ni kujifurahisha tu, kwani sioni kama anaona kuwa mengi yanayoandikwa humu ni directly opposite na anayofanya au anayotegemewa kuyafanya.

95 percent ya wale wanaochangia mada za JF wanatoa negative rating ya utendaji wake, kwa hivyo asilimia hii, au chini yake kidogo, si ndiyo inarepresent wananchi wote?

Last edited:
this guy should learn to spell before he attempts to influence policy, alebit by suggestions. "luck" instead of "lack". At least spell check or something! It's a bit weird when you can tell that someone is potraying himself as an intellectual with staments uch as "I have studied the working of decision makers.." but makes errors that a child in secondary school ought not to make.

The argument againts having MPs as ministers is an interetsing one although I must say that I do not necessarily agree with it. Being a Member of Parliment ensures that the people selected reflect the will of the people and one might argue that adopting a US like system, will in effect do the same thing. that is make sure that appointments to major positions are subject to the will of the people through their representatives.

The only problem is the manner of choice and any undue influence that the general public is under when selecting MPs.(Khanga, Pilau,Baiskeli etc). Therefore parlimentary confirmation will be flawed, a process. But let me be clear that I still think that the fact that the President has the power to appoint the CJ an other senior Members of the juiciary without approval of Bunge vests too much power in the president.Clearly a remnant of Nyerere's despotic traits. Tanzania being a very young nation, can still correct this. The way this may be done is having a President that will sacrifice some of his own presidential powers in exhange for a better functioning State during his tenure and even in future (or at least better functioning in theory).

Constitutional review might be a necessary process but maily for some issues which undermine democratic endavour and the rule of law. Some human rights issues as well will need to be addressed.

This so calle Parliament which 'we want' to be given more power to oversee since it is in theory the most representative body, how good is it? How litarate are the members. As per my knowledge, kuna wabunge wengi ambao hawana kiwango ha elimu kinachorihisha na kitakao wawezesha kujua na kuhambua maamuzi mbali mbali ambayo yana athiri wananchi wao. They are representative to the extent of the people's illiterey, a rather amusiung fact but sad at the same time. I have said this time and time again. Tatizo kubwa Tanzania sio corruption bali ni EDUCATION.. becaue our generation is doomed to poverty and illiteracy but the ones to come. Hao ndio tunatakiwa kuwaokoa...

So far very little has been done towards that end. Haya mamby ya EPA sijui nini, this is all minor compared to the problems that we face. Atakuja mtu humu atasema fedha za epa zingejenga madarasa 500,000 but the fact that waliona bora kufund election kuliko kutumia hizo hela kujenge mashule na kutrain waalimu is the actual problem in tanzania. Upungufu wa fikra umewatawala viongozi wetu, upinzani wanawaza njaa zao, hatusomeshi watoto.. WE WILL HAVE NO FUTURE to speak of..

this guy should learn to spell before he attempts to influence policy, alebit by suggestions. "luck" instead of "lack". At least spell check or something! It's a bit weird when you can tell that someone is potraying himself as an intellectual with staments uch as "I have studied the working of decision makers.." but makes errors that a child in secondary school ought not to make.

The argument againts having MPs as ministers is an interetsing one although I must say that I do not necessarily agree with it. Being a Member of Parliment ensures that the people selected reflect the will of the people and one might argue that adopting a US like system, will in effect do the same thing. that is make sure that appointments to major positions are subject to the will of the people through their representatives.

The only problem is the manner of choice and any undue influence that the general public is under when selecting MPs.(Khanga, Pilau,Baiskeli etc). Therefore parlimentary confirmation will be flawed, a process. But let me be clear that I still think that the fact that the President has the power to appoint the CJ an other senior Members of the juiciary without approval of Bunge vests too much power in the president.Clearly a remnant of Nyerere's despotic traits. Tanzania being a very young nation, can still correct this. The way this may be done is having a President that will sacrifice some of his own presidential powers in exhange for a better functioning State during his tenure and even in future (or at least better functioning in theory).

Constitutional review might be a necessary process but maily for some issues which undermine democratic endavour and the rule of law. Some human rights issues as well will need to be addressed.

This so calle Parliament which 'we want' to be given more power to oversee since it is in theory the most representative body, how good is it? How litarate are the members. As per my knowledge, kuna wabunge wengi ambao hawana kiwango ha elimu kinachorihisha na kitakao wawezesha kujua na kuhambua maamuzi mbali mbali ambayo yana athiri wananchi wao. They are representative to the extent of the people's illiterey, a rather amusiung fact but sad at the same time. I have said this time and time again. Tatizo kubwa Tanzania sio corruption bali ni EDUCATION.. becaue our generation is doomed to poverty and illiteracy but the ones to come. Hao ndio tunatakiwa kuwaokoa...

So far very little has been done towards that end. Haya mamby ya EPA sijui nini, this is all minor compared to the problems that we face. Atakuja mtu humu atasema fedha za epa zingejenga madarasa 500,000 but the fact that waliona bora kufund election kuliko kutumia hizo hela kujenge mashule na kutrain waalimu is the actual problem in tanzania. Upungufu wa fikra umewatawala viongozi wetu, upinzani wanawaza njaa zao, hatusomeshi watoto.. WE WILL HAVE NO FUTURE to speak of..

Kinyambis,Heshima yako mkuu

I regret for the typos found in my article. And thank you so much for being 'intellectual minded' person as you response reveals that.

Shadow.

kinyambis,heshima mkuu,hiyo 'alebit by suggestions' has caught me on the wrong foot,would you elaborate

Mkuu Kinyambiss, 'iliandikwa hivi katika maandiko... asiye na dhambi kati yenu na awe wa kwanza kumtupia jiwe huyu mama'

Mbona nawe katika maandiko yako huja proof-read??

staments na juiciary ni nini basi?

mundu for one i was not writing to the President. Lakini I understand Shadow's plight and that is why i took time to address some of the issues he raised in his open letter. Nimzalendo mwenzangu and on that basis.. Nampenda bila kumjua. I have learned from my profession which is heavily and almost entirely dependent on WORDS to be, what might at times come off as fussy when it comes to writing. I apologize for that! Natumai tunawekuendelea na mjadala husika.

Back
Top Bottom