Lewis Hamilton celebrates after winning the Chinese grand prix at the Shanghai International Circuit. Photograph: Greg Baker/AP
Lewis Hamilton praised his McLaren team's strategy and car after securing his first grand prix victory of the season in the Chinese grand prix
The Englishman becomes the first ever two-time winner in Shanghai since the inception of the race in 2004, and he said: "I think today the strategy that we came up with definitely helped. The pit stops were fantastic. The car felt great and I was trying to nurse my tyres while picking up pace.
"It was one of the best races I've experienced. It feels amazing to be able to bring home a victory for the guys in the factory."
Hamilton also had a small drama before the start when his car would not start in the garage, making him the last driver to join the grid. "I was in the car nice and early but then we had a problem," he said. "I'm not sure what went on but fortunately everything came together very quickly."
Vettel admitted that he had perhaps gone the wrong way on strategy, and revealed that Red Bull's Kers trouble, so much a feature of this season, again reared its head.
"We can learn a lot today," he said. "I'm the only one with two stops [on the podium] so that's something to look into tonight. We had a problem with Kers so it wasn't a trouble-free race. Once we decided to go two-stop we had to be patient."
Emmanuel Mutai crosses the line in a new record time for the London Marathon. Photograph: Gareth Cattermole/Getty Images
Emmanuel Mutai produced a stunning performance to win the men's race in a London Marathon course-record time of 2hr 4min and 38sec.
The Kenyan beat the previous best of 2:05.10 set by Samuel Wanjiru in 2009 and also recorded the fifth-fastest time ever.
The 26-year-old, second last year, broke away at around the 21-mile mark with the three-time winner Martin Lel and Patrick Makau, making it a clean sweep for Kenya, Lel just edging out his compatriot in a sprint finish.
Mutai's victory also completed a Kenyan double, with his compatriot Mary Keitany earlier smashing her personal best to seal a commanding victory in the women's race.
Keitany broke away after 15 miles and never looked like being caught as she clocked an unofficial time of 2:19.17, almost 10 minutes quicker than her debut in New York last year.
The 29-year-old began the year by setting a world record of 1:05.50 for the half-marathon, becoming the first woman to run under 66 minutes.
And she proved equally adept at double the distance to push the defending champion Liliya Shobukhova of Russia into second, with Kenya's Edna Kiplagat in third.
Jo Pavey enjoyed an excellent marathon debut, finishing 19th in 2:28.23, comfortably inside the qualifying times for both this year's World Championships in Daegu, South Korea, and next year's Olympics. The 37-year-old may opt not to compete in Daegu, but seems certain to concentrate fully on the marathon rather than returning to the track.
David Weir's victory makes him the most successful wheelchair athlete in the London Marathon's history. Photograph: Tom Jenkins
England's David Weir claimed an unprecedented fifth London Marathon wheelchair title with a perfectly timed sprint finish on Sunday.
Weir waited until he was within sight of the finish on The Mall before powering past Switzerland's Heinz Frei to become the most successful wheelchair athlete in the event's history.
The 31-year-old from Surrey, who won three gold medals on the track at the IPC World Championships in Christchurch in January, lost a four-minute lead in the race last year when he suffered two punctures.
But there were no mishaps this time as he let Frei set the pace until 300 metres from the line, the victory completing a memorable week after he discovered on Tuesday that his partner Emily is expecting a baby boy in August.
In the women's race, Shelly Woods came within centimetres of making it a British double when she was beaten on the line by the American Amanda McGrory.
McGrory, Woods, Sandra Graf and Tatyana McFadden all turned into The Mall together, with Woods looking ideally placed to copy Weir and produce a finishing burst.
But McGrory, who won the Paris marathon last week, was not to be denied and held on by the narrowest of margins to prevent Woods claiming a second London title.
England's David Weir claimed an unprecedented fifth London Marathon
Weir waited until he was within sight of the finish on The Mall before powering past Switzerland's Heinz Frei to become the most successful wheelchair athlete in the event's history.
The 31-year-old from Surrey, who won three gold medals on the track at the IPC World Championships in Christchurch in January, lost a four-minute lead in the race last year when he suffered two punctures.
But there were no mishaps this time as he let Frei set the pace until 300 metres from the line, the victory completing a memorable week after he discovered on Tuesday that his partner Emily is expecting a baby boy in August.
In the women's race, Shelly Woods came within centimetres of making it a British double when she was beaten on the line by the American Amanda McGrory.
McGrory, Woods, Sandra Graf and Tatyana McFadden all turned into The Mall together, with Woods looking ideally placed to copy Weir and produce a finishing burst.
But McGrory, who won the Paris marathon last week, was not to be denied and held on by the narrowest of margins to prevent Woods claiming a second London title. David Weir's victory makes him the most successful wheelchair athlete in the London Marathon's history. Photograph: Tom Jenkins wheelchair title with a perfectly timed sprint finish on Sunday.
Rory McIlroy chips towards the green during another frustrating final round at the Malaysia Open. Photograph: Ahmad Yusni/EPA
Rory McIlroy suffered Sunday agony for a second successive week as Matteo Manassero of Italy won the Malaysian Open two days before his 18th birthday. The Northern Irishman led by four shots going into the final round of the Masters at Augusta last week but blew his advantage by shooting eight over par. His fade from prominence this weekend was less spectacular, letting slip a three-shot lead going into the final four holes of his partially-delayed third round this morning before ultimately finishing third, but questions will continue to be asked of the 21-year-old's mental strength following this latest setback. Manassero demonstrated his fortitude to claim his second European Tour title following his victory at the Castello Masters last year. The Italian was four under par in his final round, including an eagle three at the par-five 10th.
Updated Apr 17, 2011 7:35 AM ET
Carlo Ancelotti insisted after the 3-1 win at West Brom that Didier Drogba does have a future at Chelsea despite Fernando Torres' arrival.
After being on the bench for Chelsea's Champions League quarter-final exit to Manchester United on Tuesday, Drogba was restored to the starting line-up at The Hawthorns and was almost unplayable.
Torres could only look on from the bench as Drogba proved he is back to his best towards the end of what has been a tough season.
The Ivorian poached the equaliser five minutes after Peter Odemwingie had given the Baggies the lead before playing a part in the two goals that followed to wrap up a 14th consecutive top-flight win over Albion.
Drogba, who has a year left on his contract following this season, has been mentioned as a player likely to move on over the summer as part of a clear-out.
However, the 33-year-old's display suggested to all, in particular Ancelotti, he still has plenty more to give at this level.
"As we know Didier had a problem with malaria and lost a few months when he was not 100%," said Ancelotti.
"But when he is, every time he is able to use his abilities, his power for the team, and he has a body that can continue for a long time.
"He has to continue to train well, be professional, because for a player who is 30-years-old, it is important he trains, to have good control of his body, and do everything to maintain his fitness."
Insistent Torres was not bought to replace Drogba, Ancelotti added: "They (the club) bought Torres because he is a fantastic striker, young, but this doesn't mean Didier has to go.
"He has been a very important player for the club in the past, and he will be for the club in the future."
Torres was restricted to an eight-minute cameo at the end of the game, extending his goal-less drought to 871 minutes after having one effort ruled out for offside.
Ancelotti again launched a defence of the player insistent he will score, with the hope that will be in the next game at home to Birmingham on Wednesday.
As for his own future, a source of considerable speculation over the last few days, the Italian again stated he is simply waiting on a decision from owner Roman Abramovich.
"I have a contract, but I know very well we were not good enough this season," added Ancelotti, whose side have cut the gap to leaders Manchester United to eight points.
"I hope we can finish well this season, win all our last six games, and after that the club will take a decision."
Albion boss Roy Hodgson had no complaints with the loss, his first after a six-game unbeaten run to start his tenure in charge.
Up until the halfway point of the first half West Brom certainly deserved their lead, but after that it was one-way traffic and the home side were fortunate the scoreline was not more emphatic.
"Now we have to learn how to lose," said Hodgson.
"We've had a wonderful spell, and when you have that, you forget what losing is like, so today we have to come to terms with that again.
"When you face Chelsea you know they are one of the tightest teams in the league, one of the hardest teams to score against.
"So facing a second half when they are two goals better than you, you are staring down the barrel of a gun.
"The positives I take are that in the second half we came out and fought very hard.
"We at least made certain our goal difference remains reasonable and that we didn't get absolutely battered by a Chelsea side that are capable of doing that."
Updated Apr 17, 2011 7:55 AM ET Aston Villa manager Gerard Houllier hailed his side's fighting spirit after they came from a goal down to beat West Ham 2-1 at Upton Park. The Hammers had taken the lead inside two minutes with a strike from Robbie Keane but Villa wrestled back control with Darren Bent's header shortly before the interval.
West Ham goalkeeper Robert Green pulled off a string of top-class saves to keep his side in the game but Villa snatched a deserved victory with a header from substitute Gabriel Agbonlahor in added time. Villa's victory moved them up to ninth in the table on 40 points, seven clear of the drop zone, while defeat edged West Ham closer to relegation. "I must give credit to their character because that is what we need when we are in a fight against relegation, you need character and you need composure," said Houllier. "At times we demonstrated well that in difficulties the team was together and working well. "When you are in danger you can't have egos in the team and you can't have grudges. You have got to be man enough to put away your own personality and work for each other. "We were was disappointed at half-time. I said: 'We can win this game'. "I said to the players before the game that this was a turning point. We missed a turning point at Bolton when we went 2-1 up and we lost the game. I said to them that we would not miss this turning point. "We were stung and it took us 15-20 minutes to get the spirits right because of the goal we conceded. "I know every point is valuable but I thought we went for the win right from the start and got the reward. It may have been late but we got it.
"We created chance after chance. We created enough to win the game and from a heart point of view it is not good to wait until added time to score." Although Villa now have 40 points and are in the top half of the table, Houllier does not yet consider them safe. "This club (West Ham) went down with 42 points a few years ago so we know what we need to be safe. Our fate is in our hands and we need to keep that going so that means we need to pick up points," said Houllier. West Ham are one of five teams at the bottom separated by just three points and they now have five games to secure their top-flight status. The Hammers' next two appointments are away at Chelsea and Manchester City. "I think we need nine points more or less to stay in the league," said Avram Grant. "We don't have any intention to give up. We will fight. "We have won against big teams this season so we can do it. We will fight. "It was very important for us today but we lost it. It was very crucial, it was the reason the players were nervous. Sometimes they gave the ball away cheaply. "We need to look forward. I believe it is difficult but I still believe it is possible (to stay in the Premiership." West Ham were without inspirational midfielder Scott Parker, who is struggling with an Achilles problem that could keep him out of the trip to Stamford Bridge. The Hammers coped well in his absence in the first half but lost their way as soon as Villa equalised. After the interval it was one-way traffic. Grant also bemoaned the first-half decision by referee Mark Halsey not to penalise Richard Dunne for a challenge on Carlton Cole, when he was the last man back. "It is not easy, especially in our team to lose a player like Parker. He is the player of the year. He is very important for us but he is injured. Even with this we were winning," said Grant. "We made a very good start. We started like we wanted to start. We scored a goal and then I think it was a penalty for us and a red card for them. "Then we made a mistake in the last moments of the first half that cost us. "In the second we had chances, they had chances. They scored at the last moment. We are very disappointed."
JamiiForums uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.