Lewis Hamilton's McLaren is in for one of many pit stops during the Malaysian grand prix, where he finished eighth. Photograph: Crispin Thruston/Action Images
Red Bull will not dominate Formula One in the way Ferrari did with Michael Schumacher, who won five straight titles for the Scuderia at the beginning of the century, according to McLaren's Jenson Button.
Button, whose smooth second place at the Sepang circuit went almost unnoticed amid the mayhem of pit stops that surrounded him during yesterday's Malaysian grand prix, said: "When Michael won so many races the Ferraris were just so fast. Everyone thought Red Bull were going to walk away with it because they were so strong but I don't think it is the case now. They still have a little bit in hand but we are closer and we will keep pulling them back."
And Button is confident McLaren can start closing the gap in China this weekend. He said: "We can hopefully take the fight to them in China. I'm sure F1 wants that and I'm sure the Red Bull wants a challenge and not to have it all there own way.
"This team has the facilities. Look at how quickly we have improved the car and we are not stopping there. There are a lot of exciting things in the pipeline."
There is a professional optimism about most teams in Formula One – it is what big pay packets and lucrative sponsorship deals demand. But the McLaren drivers, Button and Lewis Hamilton, seem genuinely upbeat about closing the gap that exists between themselves and the Red Bull cars – evident on Sunday – by the time the circus returns to Europe next month, if not before.
McLaren made a dramatic improvement to their car before the opening race in Australia and Button, who won in China last year, added: "Red Bull will develop their car but so will we. It is a helluva challenge. It's only two races in, with 17 left and most years it goes down to the wire.
"Sebastian's [Vettel] got a reasonably good lead now but we are getting closer and closer– I know he backed off at the end, but if you see our pace throughout the race we were as quick as him. . We are making progress. We have good pace. We don't yet have the best out of the car but we're getting close with fine tuning. We also have upgrades coming. It looks exciting for China, which will be the same sort of circuit."
Hamilton, added: "My aim for these first three races is to be as close as possible to Seb until I get my new upgrades, whenever they come, so I can start winning. I have had the pace on everyone except Vettel this weekend. I was just a bit unfortunate."
Meawhile both McLaren drivers enjoyed the multi-tasking that melting tyres, KERS and the adjustable rear wing brought to the race in Sepang. Hamilton, when asked if the new rules were making it all artificial, replied: "I don't think so. I think it was a good race and it must have been exciting to watch."
Button added: "It's good. There's a lot more to racing than there was three years ago. I hope the fans can understand what is going on. It was confusing for us because there was so much going on. It's very strange but it's good.
"It was it very tricky out there. There is a lot in terms of team strategy but also the driver has to know what strategy he is on and understand the tyres and push them to the limit for a set period of time. It's not all about being flat out every lap, which you could say is not that exciting, but I do find it very exciting."
Button added: "Even with three laps to go you might think the tyre feels great, I will push but as soon as you do it is gone, you have fallen off a cliff. Then you have two laps with massive understeer and you're five seconds off the pace, which happened to me in Malaysia.
"Watching other cars on old tyres when you were on new tyres was hilarious, because they were all over the place and you could pick them off easily. It was a lot of fun."
Lewis Hamilton said the wrong tyres were put on his McLaren Mercedes during the 2011 Malaysian grand prix. Photograph: Raymond Ho/EPA
Lewis Hamilton blamed his McLaren team for a "shocking" result at the Malaysian grand prix on Sunday, as Sebastian Vettel made it four wins in a row, finishing ahead of Jenson Button.
The British driver came eighth but suffered from his team's poor strategy after they put the wrong tyres on his car.
"It was as terrible race," he said. "I started second and I came eighth. I tried my best. I had four pit stops and the tyres didn't last. I stopped before everyone else when I could have stayed out for a couple of laps more.
"Then the wrong tyres were put on. I had the option instead of the prime. For the last stint I had an old prime which didn't last and I had to pit. It was very poor strategy but there's nothing I can do."
Hamilton's misery was compounded after the race when a 20-second time penalty following a clash with Fernando Alonso dropped him from seventh to eighth. "I knew I was going to get a penalty. I'm not surprised. I was in with the stewards, so I anticipated it. I always try to assume the worst-case scenario. It's only one spot and it's not really made me feel any worse than how the weekend has gone anyway."
Alonso went into the back of Hamilton as he tried to overtake the McLaren driver. The Spaniard said afterwards: "It's no big drama. I finished sixth anyway. There was a race incident. I tried to overtake and we touched each other. Unfortunately I broke the front wing and I had to pit again. But the next race I try again.
"It was one of those things. You try to race, to enjoy the race in the cockpit. Hopefully next time we finish with no problems."
McLaren's team manager, Martin Whitmarsh, said: "Lewis said a few things straight after the race which were from his view in the cockpit. He's already smiling and laughing and when he looks back and sees the full picture I think he'll have a different opinion.
"The penalty was disappointing and surprising. I'm not a steward. They make those sort of decisions, and that's how it is, but a penalty to both drivers is fairly harsh."
Button was the one smiling face in the McLaren camp. "This was very important to give my championship a push," he said. "I'm happy to take away 18 points. It gives me confidence not just to come away with second place and the feeling of the car is good. But we can't let the Red Bulls have it their own way for much longer."
The third Briton, Paul di Resta, was 10th again. "The DRS gave some good racing. I overtook quite a few cars on the track and it made a big difference. It is very positive for what it helped us to achieve.
"I don't know how many times I passed [the Mercedes driver Nico] Rosberg. Every time I came out of the pits, I was alongside him and I think I overtook him four times. It was quite confusing. I know it sounds crazy but I didn't know where I was but I just kept battling away."
Vettel, despite a dominant display from start to finish for the second consecutive race, said he was taking nothing for granted. "We've seen within 10 days how the pace can vary," he said. "It was much tighter here than in Australia. Some people were already talking of brutal dominance or whatever.
"I tried not to read anything. I don't think I need to explain how many things can change. Look at last year. I think Fernando is a very good example. People wrote him out of the championship last year but he came back."
JamiiForums uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.