Michezo magazetini leo...

Michezo magazetini leo...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Domenech blasts French 'brats'


RivalsDM



PRINT RSS

23 comments »

Updated Feb 15, 2011 9:28 AM ET
Former boss Raymond Domenech has branded members of the France national team as "foolhardy brats" after speaking out about the World Cup farce.
Domenech admitted he made mistakes in South Africa last summer, but insisted he has been unfairly blamed for the players refusing to train as his authority crumbled midway through the tournament. .
France recorded just one point - from a 0-0 draw in the opening game with Uruguay - as they crashed out of the competition in the group stages, but the summer is already remembered for members of the team going on strike after Nicolas Anelka was sent home for criticising Domenech.

The home of the best LIVE soccer and rugby awaits at FoxSoccer.tv -- don't miss a second of the action.

The coach, who stood down as planned following the tournament, has taken the blame for the incident but is now coming out fighting with a forthright interview due to be published in full in Wednesday's L'Express.
"Everyone is talking instead of me," he said in extracts that appeared on the newspaper's website. "I want to restore the truth. I'm not the moron that people are describing me as.
"Let's be clear: I got it wrong, I mustn't have chosen the right players nor found the words that were needed. I do not accept the criticism of politicians, nor that of former players who have turned to journalism, but that does not prevent me from drawing my own evaluation."
It was during the 2-0 defeat to Mexico in France's second game of the tournament that Anelka confronted Domenech, ultimately leading to his dismissal from the team.
The players protested by refusing to train the following day with the situation escalating further when captain Patrice Evra and fitness coach Robert Duverne became embroiled in a furious row.
The players then returned to the team bus for a meeting and closed the curtains.
Describing the day, and his attempts to talk his players around, Domenech said: "It was more than an hour that we had been there.
"It was really necessary that someone take responsibility and stop that charade. All the cameras were focused on the bus, hundreds of kids were waiting on the sidelines.
"We were the laughing stock of the world."
Following the tournament, Evra, Franck Ribery, Jeremy Toulalan and Eric Abidal took the bulk of the blame - and suspensions - for their role in the incident, but Domenech said all the players acted together.
"If there were any [leaders], I did not see them. Every time I went up [into the bus], there was no one," he said. "At this point, I told myself that they went crazy and they don't realise. Now I know I was wrong: they knew very well what they were doing.
"They even closed the curtains of the bus to hide themselves from cameras. With hindsight, I see them mainly as a bunch of foolhardy brats."
Domenech, whose time in charge was filled with moments of eccentricity, revealed he has received all manner of offers outside football since the summer, but he has so far turned them all down.
"Above all, I do not want controversy. I have had offers for the theatre, for the cinema ... Nothing on TV, no. Honestly, how can we imagine me in a reality television show?" he said.
"I still need to brush aside certain memories before being able to start a new adventure. It's like love: you have to have forgotten a woman to be able to love another."
 
Qatar will host World Cup alone


storypage_APlogo_01.png




PRINT RSS

1 comments »

Updated Jan 29, 2011 11:02 AM ET
The 2022 World Cup should not be spread beyond Qatar to neighboring countries but Asian Football Confederation President Mohamed bin Hammam said on Saturday the entire Gulf region will benefit economically.
Speaking ahead of the Asian Cup final on Saturday, Bin Hammam said Qatar submitted a bid to host the 2022 tournament alone so it was only "fair" that it be allowed to organize matches within the border of the tiny, desert nation.
abacus_20101202135152_0_0.GIF
DECISION DAY

VIDEO



"From this point of view, I don't think any other country will have a part in the competition," he said.
But Bin Hammam, a Qatari, said he felt the impact of the tournament "will be huge" for the region as a result of increased tourism and infrastructure projects, as well as the legacy it leaves since it will be the first World Cup in the Middle East.
"The region will benefit from the tourists; economically I think infrastructure needs to be built," he said. "A lot of people are going to come to work for constructing these infrastructure. I actually see a huge impact, including the football by itself will be promoted in a very (huge) way."
The idea of Qatar sharing the World Cup was raised by FIFA President Sepp Blatter and endorsed by vice president Michel Platini within days of the vote on Dec. 2.
Blatter and Platini also believe the tournament should be moved to January to avoid Qatar's extreme desert heat in the summer.
As chairman of the French organizing committee for the 1998 World Cup, Platini said he altered some plans after winning hosting rights.
Qatar has refused to comment on any changes in the bid until it forms an organizing committee, and none of its Gulf neighbors have said whether they would like to host matches.
The competing plans for the 2022 World Cup have become a political football in recent weeks, as Bin Hammam was regarded as the most likely candidate to challenge Blatter when he seeks a fourth term in June elections.
Bin Hammam has increasingly taken a hard line against moving the tournament or expanding its venues, making his strongest comments yet on Saturday. Previously, he'd simply said any decisions on those issues should be made after 2018.
It's unclear whether his clashes with Blatter over the 2022 World Cup are part of a strategy to set himself apart from the 74-year-old FIFA president should he launch a presidential campaign. Bin Hammam has hinted that he would run for the FIFA presidency but on Saturday he disappointed a press conference by saying he wouldn't be discussing anything related to FIFA.
He never mentioned Blatter at the press conference but he did take a shot at FIFA's leadership, calling for the kind of term limits that he enacted at the AFC, where a president can serve only two four-year terms. Bin Hammam enacted the term limits at the start of his second term, meaning his current third term will be his last.
"I believe that's the right way for FIFA as an organization to restructure itself," he said.
"People today, correct me if I'm wrong, are complaining a lot about how FIFA runs its business. I believe it's not only term limits that needs to be changed, but a lot of changes need to be added to FIFA practices. The term limit will facilitate the reputation of the power within the organization."
Bin Hammam said setting term limits at FIFA would ensure a younger generation has a chance to lead the organization. He did not specify what he thought the term limits should be, although he said the AFC's term limits could serve as an example.
"I also said in the past that changing or limiting the mandate for the presidency will allow new people coming to power. New people means new ideas, new thoughts and pushing the organization well ahead," he said. "I'm afraid actually with the time we're living ... our main aim in the future is going to be how to protect myself sitting in this seat, not (what) I want to do for the future."
 
French FA president says Evra yet to repay bonus


storypage_APlogo_01.png




PRINT RSS

0 comments »

Updated Feb 6, 2011 1:50 PM ET
Former France captain Patrice Evra is among several players yet to give up their World Cup bonuses, according to the president of the French Football Federation.
Fernand Duchaussoy said Sunday that the Manchester United left back, Tottenham defender William Gallas, Chelsea striker Nicolas Anelka, Marseille forward Andre-Pierre Gignac and Bordeaux defender Marc Planus have not returned forms officially forfeiting image rights payments.

INTERNATIONAL FRIENDLIES

Tue., Feb. 8
Ivory Coast 1-0- Mali | Recap
Ireland 3-0 Wales | Recap
Ghana 4-1 Togo | Recap
Wed., Feb. 9
Denmark 1-2 England | Recap
Germany 1-1 Italy | Recap
France 1-0 Brazil | Recap
Portugal 1-2 Argentina | Recap
Spain 1-0 Colombia | Recap
Croatia 4-2 Czech Rep. | Recap
Netherlands 3-1 Austria | Recap
Greece 1-0 Canada | Recap
Russia 0-1 Iran | Recap
Israel 0-2 Serbia | Recap
Turkey 0-0 S. Korea | Recap
Belgium 1-1 Finland | Recap
Scotland 3-0 N. Ireland | Recap
Egypt vs. USA | Canceled
Mexico 2-0 Bosnia-Herz. | Recap


"It's purely an administrative problem, Patrice Evra in particular has not returned his form," Duchaussoy said on French television show Telefoot. "You know, he was the first to say he was going to give up his bonuses. We can't think for a moment that we won't have (Evra's form returned)."
The others have all signed and returned documents formally renouncing the money the FFF owes them for image rights, estimated at about ?110,000 per player ($149,340).
Planus, however, insists he also has signed the documents and is angry at Duchaussoy.
"He can say what he wants. I know I've signed the document and that I've sent it back," Planus told RMC radio station on Sunday.
Duchaussoy says the money will be split between each player's first ever club and a donation to amateur football.
Evra was banned for five games after the World Cup for his role as ringleader in a training ground strike that shocked fans and politicians back home.
The players refused to train in protest after Anelka was sent home from the squad for reportedly launching a profanity-laced tirade at former coach Raymond Domenech. Anelka was banned by the French federation for 18 games.
Evra was overlooked by new coach Laurent Blanc for Wednesday's friendly against Brazil, even though his ban has now ended.
Blanc said his choice was based purely on form, with left backs Eric Abidal of Barcelona and Gael Clichy of Arsenal picked ahead of him.
 
Finland earns late draw with Belgium


storypage_APlogo_01.png




PRINT RSS

0 comments »

Updated Feb 9, 2011 4:59 PM ET
GHENT, Belgium (AP)

Roni Porokara scored in injury time to earn a Finland a 1-1 draw in Wednesday's friendly against Belgium.
The hosts let the game slip out of their grasp in the third minute of injury time when the defense left Germinal Beerschot's Porokara unmarked in the penalty area to let him score with a low drive.
Belgium took the lead in the 61st minute when Standard Liege's Axel Witsel controlled a cross from Anderlecht forward Romelu Lukaku, turned and found the net.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom