[TABLE="width: 100%, align: left"]
[TR]
[TD="class: kaziBody, align: left"]OPPOSITION Leader in Parliament and National CHADEMA Chairman Freeman Mbowe yesterday admitted failure to declare his assets for the year 2010 and begged for forgiveness when he appeared before the Ethics Tribunal in Dar es Salaam. Declaration of assets among leaders is an annual requirement stipulated by the Public Leaders Code of Ethics Act No. 13 of 1995. Mr Mbowe, who in his submission hailed the annual legal requirement as an important good governance practice, asked for forgiveness on grounds that there were too many things happening around him at the time when he was obliged to fill in the forms and submit to the Ethics Secretariat before December 3, 2010. We had just come from a general election last year and then I became Leader of Opposition in Parliament in addition to more responsibilities as national leader of my political party, among other tasks, he prayed.
Mr Mbowe, who is also Hai MP, exuded total humility all the time he stood before the Tribunal, made of retired judges Damian Lubuva and Hamisi Msumi and retired permanent secretary Gaudios Tibakweitira, asking them to consider the circumstances surrounding him and forgive him. The Tribunal is hearing cases of over 29 public leaders who have been summoned for not complying with the law. The Act requires all high profile officials to declare their assets and liabilities before the public ethics secretariat at the end of each year.
Mr Mbowe, who is also a prominent businessman, stated that it was also difficult for him to fill in the forms under such circumstances, taking into consideration that he owns businesses in three different parts of the country. "I have businesses and residences in three different parts of the country and all need my attention. Had I filled in the forms swiftly, there was a likelihood of leaving out important information, he pleaded.
The MP informed the Tribunal that he had filled in the forms after a notification from the Ethics Secretariat and returned them on June 14. In another appearance, Mbinga West MP (CCM) John Komba told the Tribunal that he had filled in the forms and returned to the agents in charge of collecting the forms at the Parliament Buildings in Dodoma. He said he was shocked to see his name as one of those leaders who had not complied with the stated law. The same concerns were expressed by a councillor from Geita, Elias Okomu, who was summoned by the Tribunal for not filling in the forms during 2008/2009.
However, legal officers from the secretariat have maintained their stand in a number of cases, saying the lamenting public leaders should produce their evidences to substantiate their claims. Already, the Tribunal, appointed by President Jakaya Kikwete last year, has found some 11 public leaders guilty of non-declaration of their assets in the annual exercise and the offenders had already been strongly warned. Leaders found guilty face demotion, dismissal, retirement or order for criminal investigations if a particular case has elements of crime.
Daily News[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: kaziBody, align: left"][TABLE="width: 100%"]
[TR]
[TD] [/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]