Man and wife arrested for beating daughter, 11, to death

RUCCI

JF-Expert Member
Oct 6, 2011
Mke na mume wanashikiliwa katika kituo cha polisi Keringet nchini Kenya kwa tuhuma za kumpiga binti yao mwenye umri wa miaka 11 hadi binti huyo kupoteza maisha.

Tukio hilo limetokea baada ya mtoto huyo kwenda kwenye sherehe bila kuomba ruhusa.
================================
pepcpypcpchqfk5831fc0e3af22.jpg

A man and his wife have been arrested for allegedly beating their 11-year-old daughter to death.

Bernard Lang'at and Maureen Tabitha, who are being held at Keringet Police Station, were unhappy after the Standard Two pupil at Kelelwet Primary School attended a Kalenjin circumcision ceremony in Barget village, Kuresoi South, without permission.

The victim's younger brother, Gilbert Kibet, said it was painful for him to witness his parents senselessly beat up his sister who later succumbed to injuries.

He said her sister left home around 5pm last Thursday in the company of her friends to witness the ceremony.

However, the girl was hesitant to come back home after the ceremony for fear her parents would punish her after she attended the event without their permission. "Instead of coming back home, she sought refuge at a neighbour's home where funeral preparations were going on for fear of being punished," said Kibet.

However, it was while at the funeral that her father is said to have spotted the minor. And together with his wife, they are said to have dragged the girl home where they started beating her up.

The slain girl's brother said his parents were unrelenting despite his sister's cry for mercy. "I begged them to forgive her but they dismissed me, saying I am also undisciplined. They went ahead to tie her hands and legs with a rope and continued to beat her. They did not stop even when she started bleeding profusely from her nostrils," said the distraught boy.

The girl died at around 5am the following day as she was being taken to Olenguruone hospital.

A neighbour, Rael Chepng'etich, said she was attracted to the home by the girl's wails at around 3am.

"I found the girl on the floor and the parents beating her. They said the girl was disobedient and deserved to be punished. I begged them to forgive her. It was shocking for me to hear news of her death in the morning," she said.

Another neighbour, Ernest Chirchir, said he met Lang'at at a local hotel carrying a piece of cloth that had had been soaked in blood. His hands too had blood stains.

"He asked for water to wash his hands. When I asked him what had happened, he said he had beaten up his daughter," said Chirchir.

The suspect is said to have surrendered to the police later. Local chief Nicholas Kiprotich said the two will remain in custody until investigations are complete when they will be charged in court.

Nakuru County children's officer Abdi Yusuf warned parents against assaulting their children. Yusuf said they will hand the other children to relatives said to be living in Eldoret.

"Parents should find other ways to discipline children to avoid such deaths," he said. The body is awaiting postmortem at Olenguruone hospital mortuary.

Source: The Standard

Back
Top Bottom