Magazeti ya IPP hayawezi kumkosoa Rais Kikwete?

mengi kupitia kaka yake ndiyo wameifilisia Unit Trust kwa kuwauuzia kiwanda cha madawa ambacho kinakufa...............mengi uteezi wake ni kuwa aliposikia kuwa Unit Trust inatapeliwa alijitoa kuwa Mwenyekiti wa kamati ya manunuzi..........lol.........lakini hakuzuia manunuzi kama siyo kushiriki ujambazi ni nini?

hapo kwenye nyekundu kunaonyesha mengi na ndugu yake lao moja..............
  1. Mr Middleton was shocked by this letter. He told me that he regarded it as simply setting out Benjamin's demands, which the Claimant must have known were "totally unacceptable" to Mr Middleton. He states:-"The letter did not even represent a basis for further discussion. It was clear to me that, as we had feared at the outset, the Claimant was simply taking his brother's side, and leaving us without hope of assistance from him. I am not sure of the exact date, but I did phone the Claimant a few days after receiving this letter to tell him that I was not prepared to meet his brother's demands. I also informed Dr Pocock of my decision."

Hii inaonyesha kweli kwa Mengi nako ufisadi umechachamaa....

1. The Claimant's relationship with Benjamin: NICO Ltd

2. The Claimant's 184-paragraph witness statement had only 3 paragraphs devoted to the question of his relationship with Benjamin, as follows:
    "100. My brother, Benjamin Mengi is based in Moshi Town while I am for all intents and purposes geographically based in Dar as Salaam although I have a residence and a business, namely Bonite Bottlers Limited, in Moshi Town. We are not involved in each other's business and neither of us is a partner, director or shareholder in any of the companies or businesses of the other.​
    101. For the most part Benjamin and I lead separate lives and do not socialize or move in the same social circles except for a few filial engagements in which we participate by virtue of being related.​
    102. I would not and have never allowed my relationship with Benjamin Mengi to compromise my principles and responsibilities. For example:​
    a) In 2005 the National Environment Management Council while under my chairmanship intervened and stopped the growing of Genetically Modified Tobacco, which was being conducted by Benjamin Mengi through a company called Alpha Tobacco Limited at Silverdale Farm.​
    b) In 2007 I resigned in protest as Chairman of the Investment Committee of the National Investment Company (NICO) after the company invested in a company in which Benjamin Mengi has an interest without following the proper protocols. I exhibit a copy of my letter of resignation at RAM 1 pages 170 and 171."​
  3. The exhibited letter signed by Mr Mengi, dated 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] August 2007 and addressed to Mr Felix Mosha, Chairman of the Board of Directors of NICO, was headed "Resignation as Chairman and Member of the Investment Committee of NICO", and stated:
    "I would like to inform you with regret that I wish to resign from the Chairmanship and Membership of NICO from the date of this letter for the following reasons:-​
    1. NICO has invested in Interchem Pharma Ltd. This investment was not recommended by the Investment Committee because the proposal thereof was not submitted to the Committee as it was required. In other words, it was approved by the Board without the recommendation of the Investment Committee of which I am the Chairman.​
    2. Interchem Pharma was and is still partly owned by my brother Benjamin Mengi. Because the intention to invest in the company was not submitted to the Investment Committee as stated above, I did not have knowledge that NICO was going to have such business relationship with my brother because I was not so informed at any time. Even though I did not participate in any in way in the decision to invest in Interchem, my conscience haunts me both as an individual and Chairman and member of the Investment Committee.​
    May I clarify that my action is not in any way suggesting that the investment was wrong value wise but ethically wrong because of my brother's interest in Interchem Pharma Ltd."​
  4. On 10[SUP]th[/SUP] August 2007 Mr Mosha replied saying that "the issue of Interchem should no longer be a matter of concern to you because, as you will note from the enclosed NICO Board resolution, the Board of NICO has decided that NICO will divest all its shares (51%) from Interchem……We hope that this decision on Interchem by the NICO Board will now make it possible for you to withdraw your resignation."
  5. On 6[SUP]th[/SUP] October 2007 NICO Ltd issued a Prospectus inviting the general public to buy 50,000,000 shares in the company. The prospectus mentions the investment already made in Interchem, and assures readers that "although one of the original shareholders is related to one member of the investment committee, NICOL would like to confirm that the agreement was signed at arm's length". But no divestment had occurred: on the contrary, the prospectus speaks of the prospect of more funds being required "to enable NICOL to complete its investment portfolio in this venture at a cost of TZS 2.5 billion". Mr Mengi was still held out to investors as Chairman of the Investment Committee. He was still Chairman of the Investment Committee on 15[SUP]th[/SUP] July 2008, when NICOL's Annual Report for 2007 was published, again making favourable reference to Interchem; and on 26[SUP]th[/SUP] July 2008 he became a director of NICOL. Later Interchem was placed into receivership and NICOL's investment was written down to zero. Mr Mosha, chairman of NICOL, was appointed a director of IPP Media Solutions Ltd in 2009 or 2010.
  6. On 9[SUP]th[/SUP] June 2009 the Tanzanian Capital Markets and Securities Authority (CMSA) sent the Board of NICO a highly critical report. It found that NICO had invested over 1.7 billion Tanzanian shillings in Interchem Pharma without conducting independent due diligence. It states that "Doubts surround the whole deal as to what was the motivation for NICOL to invest in the Company without obtaining independent review from a qualified valuer and based solely on balance sheet values." It noted that the investment proposal had not been discussed by the Investment Committee as required by that Committee's terms of reference approved by CMSA, but was apparently approved by four directors: and that a final instalment had been paid to Interchem even after a due diligence report had been issued and a creditor Bank had served a default notice. It directed NICO to reconstitute its Board by removing all Directors who participated in approving the investment. Mr Mengi, as already noted, had not been a director at the time the investment in his brother's company was approved, but accepted appointment to the Board at about the time that the investment was written off.
  7. Mr Mengi then wrote a further letter to Mr Mosha on 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] September 2009 saying that his name had "appeared in several allegations that I engineered the NICOL investment in Interchem for my benefit and that of the Mengi family. Undisputedly, my name has been tarnished by these allegations and these allegations will continue so long as I continue playing an active role in the management of the business of NICOL as a member of the Board of Directors. For this reason and in order to save my reputation, I regrettably have no option but to resign as a member of the Board of Directors of NICOL with effect from the date hereof."
  8. Mr Price put it to Mr Mengi that either his letter of 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] August 2007 to Mr Mosha, Mr Mosha's reply a week later, and the Board's "divestment decision" enclosed with it were shams, or the information given to the investing public by the directors of NICO in the prospectus of October 2007 and the annual report of July 2008 (when he was still chairman of the Investment Committee, and just before he accepted appointment to the Board) was nonsense. Mr Mengi had no satisfactory answer to this: he emphasised repeatedly that he had no control over the Board of NICO, could not be held responsible for their publications, and was entitled to assume that they would disinvest because that was what they told him in August 2007 that they would do.
  9. Mr Mengi's evidence on this subject was evasive and unsatisfactory; and paragraph 102(b) of his witness statement, cited above, is grossly misleading. Even on the assumption, which may be generous to him, that the August 2007 documents were genuine, he did not "resign in protest" in August 2007 as he said in his statement. Instead, he was persuaded to stay on as chairman of the Investment Committee, and subsequently accepted appointment to the Board, notwithstanding that the company had made what he himself described in 2009 as an "ethically wrong" investment in his brother's company. He did not resign until 2009, by which time all the money invested by NICO in Benjamin's company had been written off.
  10. No doubt Mr Mengi took care not to be party to the formal decision to approve the investment in his brother's company. But that does not make it irrelevant for present purposes. The clear inference which I draw from the NICO affair is that he is much closer to Benjamin than he would have me believe: and that he is content to allow organisations with which he is concerned to give Benjamin preferential treatment, so long as he is not the one making the decision

Editorial independence at IPP MEDia LTD is now under serious doubt following these judicial observations:-
  1. At no time before or after the story being published was I approached Mr Mengi [sic] or anyone acting on his behalf."​
  2. This wording, including the typing error, is faithfully reproduced for each of seven other articles which had appeared in Nipashe between November 2005 and April 2007.
  3. Mr Luhanga gave his oral evidence through an interpreter, and I therefore make allowance for the fact that there may be some lack of precision in the translation of particular words or phrases; but the meaning was clear enough. He tried for some time in cross-examination to maintain the line that in 2012, when his witness statement was compiled, he had an actual recollection of each of his conversations with Mr Kimambo, and the course he took at the relevant editorial meeting, several years earlier. Plainly he did not. As the formulaic wording of the witness statement makes clear, he could only tell me what usually happened or was supposed to happen.
  4. Mr Price asked why the article about Mr Middleton's arrest and appearance in court did not mention that the accused denied the charges. Mr Luhanga said that unfortunately the story did not mention it: it was supposed to be written, but it was not. "It was maybe the unprofessional way, this information". Later Mr Price showed the witness that Mr Middleton's release, ordered by the High Court, had been reported in the Daily News (a non-IPP paper) but not in Nipashe, Mr Luhanga said that unhappily Nipashe's correspondent missed the story. He described it as "a lack of professionalism in how it is written, but it is human error". He gave the same explanation for the fact that a story reported in the East African under the headline "Terrified British farm investors flee from Moshi", and telling its readers that the investors had fled after receiving persistent death threats, should not have been reported in Nipashe at all. Again, he said, "maybe my correspondent did not get it, missed [it] out". He denied that his managing editor or managing director had instructed him not to report anything favourable or sympathetic to Mr Middleton.
  5. The mechanistic evidence of Mr Luhanga served to confirm my view that there is only one realistic explanation for the one-sided coverage of the Silverdale Farm dispute in the Guardian and Nipashe: namely that Mr Mengi has appointed a loyal team of editors who lay down the party line, with his approval, that nothing is to be published which criticises the Executive Chairman or his family.
  6. Mr Rampton submitted that Mr Mengi "is entitled to wash his hands……of what is in the Guardian because he does not run the editorial content and he has no power in the company. He could, I suppose, call an extraordinary general meeting and have the directors dismissed. Beyond that, he has no power to interfere. He is not a director." No doubt that is an accurate statement of the formal position in English or Tanzanian company law. But it is, I find, very far from the reality of the IPP Media Group.
  7. Taking the evidence in this trial as a whole, in particular the consistently partisan coverage of the Silverdale affair; the mendacious attempts by Mr Luhanga to distance himself from it; the fact that Mr Mengi, despite his denials on oath, plainly knew and approved of Mr Nguma's acting for Benjamin in litigation against the Middletons; and Mr Mengi's steadfast refusal to express any criticism of Benjamin or any sympathy for the Middletons, I am in left in no doubt that Mr Mengi encouraged the campaign in his newspapers to praise his brother and denigrate the Middletons; and did so by making senior editorial staff aware, through Mr Nguma or otherwise, of what line the journalists on the ground were expected to take.

Mkuu EMT, Tata ile barua ya Sakina Datoo humu jf ndipo utajua who M real is!.
Anavyokataza JK asipondwe sio kwa sababu yeye ni mwanaccm maslahi au eti ndio anampenda sana JK, no!. It's just one of the many games people play!. The name of the game is "jipendekezaring" and "jikombajikombaring" only for a reason!.

Naomba nisiendelee nisije kuonekana karma mimi ndie shetani kutaka kumchafua "mtakatifu" huyu!.
P.

Waandishi hawapo huru kwa mengi wakiandika tu ccm huwavamia na mkuu huwaambia waache mana kuna siri ya maslahi na kuchakuliwa hapo.ths is tz .

Back
Top Bottom