[h=1]Kenya shooting leaves British man dead and wife missing, presumed kidnapped [/h] UK government calls for woman's release after attack on couple staying at remote beach resort close to Somali border Flora Bagenal in Nairobi and Sam Jones guardian.co.uk, Sunday 11 September 2011 21.13 BST Article history Kenya's Kiwayu Safari Village resort, where the British couple were attacked in their beach hut. Photograph: Slim Aarons/Getty Images The UK government has called for the release of a kidnapped British woman whose husband was murdered during an attack at the Kenyan beach resort where they were on holiday. The couple, who have not been named, were staying at the remote Kiwayu Safari Village close to the border with Somalia when gunmen burst into their beach hut just after midnight on Sunday. The husband is believed to have been shot dead after trying to resist the assailants, who ordered the Britons to hand over their valuables. His wife was dragged to the speedboat on which the gunmen had arrived and has not been seen since. Kenyan police are refusing to speculate on who the attackers might be, but the Guardian has been told that officers fear the raid may have been carried out by members of the Somali Islamist insurgent group al-Shabaab rather than pirates. The Kenyan government has sent anti-terror and special crimes officers to the area as part of an enormous search and rescue mission, but Ndegwa Muhoro, director of the country's criminal investigation department, said no word had yet been received from the woman's abductors. "We believe it is a kidnap but we are yet to receive any communication from the alleged kidnappers, over 11 hours after they took her with them," he said. The Foreign and Commonwealth Office is not releasing the names of the couple for fear of further endangering the woman, but says it is doing all it can to effect her release. "We have deployed a consular team from our high commission in Nairobi and are offering all possible support to the family of those involved," said a spokesman. "Our thoughts are with them at this difficult time. "We are working to secure the safe and swift release of the British national who has been kidnapped and ask those involved to show compassion and release the individual immediately." The FCO also repeated its warning against venturing within 18 miles (30km) of the Kenya-Somalia border, reminding travellers that there had been earlier attacks in Kenya carried out by Somali militia. Two western nuns were kidnapped in November 2008 and three aid workers were abducted in July the following year. Police said the couple were attacked on the first night of their stay and were the resort's only guests. Attacks on tourists are unusual in Kenya, which is popular for its safari vacations and pristine beaches. According to its website, the secluded Kiwayu Safari Village takes "security and safety very seriously". It says: "Our relationship with the local community, its fishermen and the local authorities is positive and mutually beneficial. "We regularly review our security and safety to ensure it is both comprehensive and current."