How do solar panels work on rainy and cloudy days in Kenya?

MosesWhitley

Oct 18, 2015
Common questions prospective clients ask before making the switch to solar in Kenya:

Can solar panels work without direct sunlight?

Will the solar panels work on cloudy days?

Will the solar panels work on rainy days?

Do solar panels work at night?

Although solar technology isn’t new, many people still haven’t figured out how exactly the technology works.

So how exactly do solar panels produce electricity?

Basically, what happens is that your solar panel system uses photons to separate electrons from atoms. Photons are light particles. The process of separating electrons from their atoms creates solar electricity.

As the solar panels convert light into power (DC), the power gets sent through the system’s inverter. From there, it gets converted to alternating current (AC) power.

So to answer the above questions, yes solar panels do work on cloudy and rainy days in Kenya but not as effectively as they would on a sunny day. Expect the solar panels to produce 10 to 25 percent of their normal power output, depending on how thick the cloud cover is.

Although solar panels work better on sunny versus cloudy days in Kenya, solar panels don’t work best in particularly hot climates. In fact, solar panel output begins to fall if the temperature rises above 25 degrees Celsius. Watch the video below on how we design our systems:

Do solar panels work at night in Kenya?

They actually don’t as mentioned before; solar panels require light more so from the sun and daylight to function at optimal capacity. Which is why having reliable battery storage is highly recommended to store all the energy the solar panels harvested during the day.

The team at PowerAfricaSolar designs our client solar systems to produce more power than your home needs during the daytime. The surplus power generated during the day is stored in a solar battery solution Read Why We Recommend SimpliPhi Batteries to Our Clients In Kenya Switching To Solar

In conclusion, your solar panel system will work on cloudy days and actually works better when it’s not too hot. How efficient your panels are under different weather conditions will depend on your solar panel brand and type.

Here's how Solar Panels Work On Rainy and Cloudy Days In Kenya

I got solar panels for my home some time ago, and they've been good. Even when it's cloudy or rainy, they still make some power, just not as much as on a sunny day. It's astonishing how they keep working even when the weather isn't perfect.

The solar panels don't make power at night, so having batteries to store energy from the daytime helps. This way, I can use solar energy at night, too.

I also found these neat solar lights called KOOPER Solar Pathway Lights on a site called leds.to. They're perfect for gardens or any outdoor area. They give off a lot of light and look nice, too. Plus, they're strong enough to handle any weather and even turn on and off by themselves based on how light it is outside.

Back
Top Bottom