Ethnic hate through music: A simmering time bomb for Kenya

Ab-Titchaz

JF-Expert Member
Jan 30, 2008
Unnecessary Noise

DISCLAIMER: This post should NOT be used to attack a community or vernacular music. NOT all vernacular music is bad. NOT all members of any given community are chauvinistic and archaic in their thinking. Any comments that are even remotely inflammatory will be deleted. Kenya is bigger than all of us!

I listen to Kikuyu music, both secular and gospel. A lot of Kikuyu music is very informative and the beat is quite catchy.

Current song I am jamming to is Agiginyani by Shiru wa GP. An awesome keep-your-head-up gospel song.

My attention has been drawn to an emerging genre of Kikuyu music that is inflammatory, provocative and in very bad taste. In a country that is yet to heal after the post-election violence, these songs are a harbinger of bad tidings.

I shall not sit back and watch my country burn. This post is blowing the whistle. I do not know the extent of the fire that these songs have caused.
What I know is the Demathew, Kamande and Muigai are some of the most popular Kikuyu musicians with mega sales of their VCDs. Thus I shudder to imagine the number of households that are playing these songs.

For the many who cannot hear Kikuyu, I have translated snippets of the songs and in Demathew's case explained the nuances as he sings in parables. You can ask your Kikuyu friends to translate further.

Uhuru ni Witu (Uhuru is Ours) – Kamande wa Kioi

<strong>

Translated snippets:

Greetings people of the house of Gikuyu and Mumbi. I bring you a message from all Kikuyu musicians. This is a message from God.
Uhuru is the Moses of the Kikuyu nation. He is meant to move Kikuyus from Egypt to Canaan. Do not agree to be divided. Let all votes go to him. He is ours. He is anointed by God, poured oil on.

Raila, there is a call. Go to Mama Ngina's house, a king has been born there. Once there ask where Uhuru is seated and pour oil on him. Just like Samuel did for David in the Bible. Stop chasing the wind Agwambo, go to Icaweri and anoint Uhuru.

You thump your chest about Hague, is Hague your mother's? There is a curse from God.

Philistines who do not circumcise cannot lead Israel. When Abraham stressed God, he was told to go get cut, even you General of Migingo, your knife is being sharpened.

Hague Bound &#8211; Muigai Wa Njoroge and Muhiko
Translated snippets:

Question: If it was you who is being pushed to The Hague what would you do?
Answer: I would call my family and divide up my property and then ask my mother to pray for me.
Question: What if you knew that Hague you are being pushed there by an uncircumcised man who wants to push you there and take over your wife and all your wealth? A man who can do anything to ensure you are in problems.
Answer: There it is better to die. Things for a man are not governed by an uncircumcised man. I would kill him. Its better they increase my charges.
Question: What would you tell your crying supporters as you are being shipped to Hague?
Answer: I would tell them to pray for me and know I am being persecuted for my love of my community.
Question: When you get to Hague how you would ensure the white man does not cheat you?
Answer: I would ask for proceedings to be done in Kikuyu.
Question: When on the dock what would you be thinking of the uncircumcised man who is the source of your predicament?
Answer: I would ask God to forgive him. I would also ask that he gets circumcised so that he matures mentally. I would also ask Kenyans to be very wary of that man.

Mwaka wa hiti (The year of the hyena) &#8211; Demathew

Translated and explained snippets:

As Demathew I prophesize and let the stones hear me if men wont.

It is now the year of the hyena. Who will teach you and your ears are blocked?

When a man is seated he sees further than a boy on top of a tree.

You are like a greedy hyena seeing a man walk and following him hoping that his arm will drop off. You follow him till he boards the train and the arm does not drop and you never eat. (A reference to all that may benefit from ICC)

Before Jesus was crucified He stood in the court Judge Pilato and he answered all questions, Judge Pilato said Jesus is free but the crowd asked that a thief be freed instead. (ICC will show Uhuru's innocence)

Where are you (Peter Kenneth) from? If you were one of us, you would be pained by the people burnt in Kiambaa church. My brother lost his property in Kisumu, how can you tell us he (Raila) is our community's friend.

Father (Jomo Kenyatta) I feel sad when I see your son (Uhuru) being persecuted by men of ill-will and a woman (Martha Karua) is carrying their bags.

In-law (Kalonzo) things are not going well for you now. You are clueless and your matters are now being discussed by women in the market. But I still remember how you saved me (after 2007 elections) when leopards had attacked me.

After listening to these three songs I shuddered. If the leading lights of Kikuyu music are doing this, then how much more prevalent is it? Are other communities also producing such inciteful vernacular songs? This is a ticking time bomb right under our noses!

Let us think of how to put out this fire before it is too late!

Unnecessary Noise « Moderate Kenyan

Last edited by a moderator:
Kenyans whether circumcised or not, please think as one people a nation that is united. Ethnicism wont build kenya it will only lead to bloodshed and for sure God does not support that. Im a Tanzanian but i love a one strong united kenya. God bless Kenya,God bless East Africa. We're one!

NCIC PROBES 3 KIKUYU MUSICIANS

642442-119182.png

Kamande wa Kioi

642442-119183.png

John De'Mathew

642442-119184.png

Muigai Njoroge

THE National Cohesion and Integration Commission has begun preliminary investigations against three Kikuyu musicians accused of propagating hate speech in their songs of praise for deputy Prime Minister Uhuru Kenyatta. Commission chair Mzalendo Kibunja told the Star yesterday that an official complaint was lodged with the commission last Friday. He said the commission had obtained the audio and video recordings of the songs.

The musicians under investigation are Kamande wa Kioi, Muigai Wa Njoroge and John Demathew. The songs are Uhuru ni Witu (Uhuru is Ours) by Kioi, Hague Bound by Wa Njoroge and Mwaka wa Hiti (The year of the hyena) by Demathew.

Kibunja said the commission will not hesitate to open charges against the three as well as any media which has been playing the songs if it is established that the songs have violated the National Cohesion and Integration Act, .

The commission will also seek to ban the songs if they are found to promote hate speech. "We are waiting for an officially certified translation of the songs from a certified translator. The translation should be in by the close of business today or tomorrow and then we will announce next course of action. This is a very serious matter," Kibunja said.

He said the commission has contacted the Media Council of Kenya in a bid to get a log of all media enterprises which have been playing the songs. Section 62 of the Cohesion Act criminalizes the dissemination of hate speech. The songs have elicited mostly negative comments on social media with many condemning the sentiments as provocative and inciteful.

Yesterday, the secretariat of Uhuru's TNA party condemned the songs through its Facebook page called 'Team Uhuru'. "We would like to strongly point out that if this is what certain vernacular musicians are doing, regardless of the language and community, we truly stand against it! Music in our respective languages is beautiful, but when corrupted for an agenda that disunites Kenyans, it's shameful," said Team Uhuru. "For the good of Kenya as a whole watch out for certain acts and base your votes on and NOT tribal affiliations/individuals," said the Facebook post.

I swear this time they will serious butcher themselves; they should make no mistake with their efforts to brew hate, even Jirongo attests here

I am compelled to contribute not to the threads heading, but Ulole's post on Jirongo. You can see jirongos's politics is no less differnet than ODM reloaded type of populism and antagonistic fetes. I had made a contribution earlier in JF saying Kenya is bigger than individuals. We want leaders that can articulate national cohesion and peace initiatives from the grassroot level like young Wamalwa and that should be the yardstick that all kenyans must be focusing on.

There is also some blame game being passed on to the ordinary kenyan/wanjiku that they are intentionally sitting on a time-bomb. This is a fallacy, and it is high time that leaders start promoting issue based politics. All these leaders politicking are "satisfied" in one way or another, either by looting public resources or having a hand in dubious deals. I am for the idea of young kenyan presidential aspirants, be given time and space to present their agendas by our sometimes "sensational" media outlets than letting them get whitewashed by waves of populism.

Can someome please explain to us what is going on inside Kenya? this is shocking...:mod:

I swear this time they will serious butcher themselves no mistake about with their efforts to brew hate, even Jirongo attests here

Huyu jamaa ni noma sana, anasema walipata wapi mafuta wanajenga barabara ya ghorofa huko Thika na barabara ya nyingine ya njia 12 wakati huko kwake hata kufika nyumbani tu nitaabu...Naona kibabu cha ikulu kimekasirika kwelikweli....Kazi ipo mwaka huu....

[/CENTER]
Huyu jamaa ni noma sana, anasema walipata wapi mafuta wanajenga barabara ya ghorofa huko Thika na barabara ya nyingine ya njia 12 wakati huko kwake hata kufika nyumbani tu nitaabu...Naona kibabu cha ikulu kimekasirika kwelikweli....Kazi ipo mwaka huu....
I tell u something is brewing...! i fear for the worst maana kuna ukweli wa anayosema! halafu cha ajabu jamaa amefanya reshuffle mbaya sana kila sector ya ulinzi ameweka Mkikuyu! KDF chief of staff; a Kikuyu, Kenya Police; a Kikuyu; Kenya intelligence; a Kikuyu, Kenya Ports; a Kikuyu, Kenya railways; a Kikuyu. Though in these defense sectors they r more Luhya than any other ethnicity! Nina uhakika the next president will be a Kikuyu whether Kenyans want or not; come rain come drought! since they r well prepared for the consequences that have to come!

I tell u something is brewing...! i fear for the worst maana kuna ukweli wa anayosema! halafu cha ajabu jamaa amefanya reshuffle mbaya sana kila sector ya ulinzi ameweka Mkikuyu! KDF chief of staff; a Kikuyu, Kenya Police; a Kikuyu; Kenya intelligence; a Kikuyu, Kenya Ports; a Kikuyu, Kenya railways; a Kikuyu. Though in these defense sectors they r more Luhya than any other ethnicity! Nina uhakika the next president will be a Kikuyu whether Kenyans want or not; come rain come drought! since they r well prepared for the consequences that have to come!

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Geza Ulole before you dive into your angry retorts, you should get the history of all these people you are trying to blindly approve. Start with jirongo/goldenberg. And these politicians mind-you are like divorced maids going to court. They have even eaten and shared a meal from one bowl with their accused. And now there is a public out-cry to gain votes via public sympathy. I still stick to my recommendation that I gave earlier.

Geza Ulole before you dive into your angry retorts, you should get the history of all these people you are trying to blindly approve. Start with jirongo/goldenberg. And these politicians mind-you are like divorced maids going to court. They have even eaten and shared a meal from one bowl with their accused. And now there is a public out-cry to gain votes via public sympathy. I still stick to my recommendation that I gave earlier.
at times we need to judge a statement based on logical fallacy or truth! It makes no sense to disqualify someone just based on his wrong doing in the past considering the current undertakings on the ground! If we r to go with ur counter accusation on Jirongo's persona no politician in Kenya will be immune on the same standards u measure Jirongo even the late Prof. Saitoti (one of the richest politician to ever live in Kenya (probably in top 5) though he had never been a businessman before he came into politics) who came straight from holding chalks at the UON! I think u get my point!

According to his accusation he talks of Thika Highway of 12 lanes; and he argues that the country's resources have been misallocated! Then we should ask ourselves how much revenues does a town of Thika bringing into govt coffers compared to Kisumu/Kakamega? How many people live in Thika compared to Kisumu/Kakamega in Nyanza/Western Province (i believe Jirongo is a Luhya)? On my part i believe the road connecting Nairobi to Kisumu (Nyanza province) all the way to Malaba border should have been given this super highway status even if it means 6 lanes highway since this is an international road that not only majority of Kenyans use but Ugandans, Rwandan, Burundians, and Eastern Congolese!

at times we need to judge a statement based on logical fallacy or truth! It makes no sense to disqualify someone just based on his wrong doing in the past considering the current undertakings on the ground! If we r to go with ur counter accusation on Jirongo's persona no politician in Kenya will be immune on the same standards u measure Jirongo even the late Prof. Saitoti (one of the richest politician to ever live in Kenya (probably in top 5) though he had never been a businessman before he came into politics) who came straight from holding chalks at the UON! I think u get my point!

According to his accusation he talks of Thika Highway of 12 lanes; and he argues that the resources have been misallocated! Then we should ask ourselves how much revenues does a town of Thika bringing in the govt coffers? How many people live in Thika and between Thika and Nyanza province/western Province (i believe Jirongo is a Luhya) which place brings more revenues to the central govt and whats the population between these two places? On my part i believe the road connecting Nairobi to Kisumu (Nyanza province) all the way to Malaba border should have been given this super highway status even if it means 6 lanes highway since this is an international road that not only majority of Kenyans use but Ugandans, Rwandan, Burundians, and Eastern Congolese!

Your concern is on who/which tribal outfits should spur local develpment and this is not right. FYI, there have been road upgrades at kericho/narok road and there is also road rehabilitation projects that have been initiated and will be commenced very soon at Kwale. There is the land reclaimation going on at Dongo kuundu area near Mombasa to faciltate road construcion. So all these are just peaks of what intergration may be like when it is fully embraced. Thika highway is part of the larger Trans African highway(from Cairo down to cape of sotuh Africa) and that is the pitfall of merging politics with such projects. Apart from Thika road there are two transport corridors to be constructed.

There are also significant road projects taking place at Nakuru area. I am surprised that all these projects are bringing discord instead of cementing the future investor prospects. If the kenyan development model is of critical importance to you what do you have to say about M7 opting for DAR instead of MSA? There is no character assasination when i talk about Jirongo past. Jirongo's wealth status is simmilar to the late Prof. Saitoti's rags-to-riches story. I wount expose the skeletons but in short has questionable land-mark court cases (So you expect to install such a leader. What next do you expect?

Your concern is on who/which tribal outfits should spur local develpment and this is not right. FYI, there have been road upgrades at kericho/narok road and there is also road rehabilitation projects that have been initiated and will be commenced very soon at Kwale. There is the land reclaimation going on at Dongo kuundu area near Mombasa to faciltate road construcion. So all these are just peaks of what intergration may be like when it is fully embraced. Thika highway is part of the larger Trans African highway(from Cairo down to cape of sotuh Africa) and that is the pitfall of merging politics with such projects. Apart from Thika road there are two transport corridors to be constructed.

There are also significant road projects taking place at Nakuru area. I am surprised that all these projects are bringing discord instead of cementing the future investor prospects. If the kenyan development model is of critical importance to you what do you have to say about M7 opting for DAR instead of MSA? There is no character assasination when i talk about Jirongo past. Jirongo's wealth status is simmilar to the late Prof. Saitoti's rags-to-riches story. I wount expose the skeletons but in short has questionable land-mark court cases (So you expect to install such a leader. What next do you expect?
M7's choice is another issue all alone! so if u r truly a patriotic Kenyan, can u pls tell us between the road that connects Mombasa and Malaba and the one that connects Cairo to Cape of hope which one is more significant to ur economy [ls be frank to urself? And if it is being built why not 12 lanes also to a road that connects Kenya to its largest trading partner? Can u tells us of Uhuru evil since all politicians r stained there with their past?

Did you read my earlier post about Wamalwa or is my duty here to expose politicans. This information you are asking I know absolutely you have it therefore instead of trying to twist my head around find out for yourself. Don't let your conscience blend with euphoriaism, but choose young leaders with agendas that dont have a checkered past. And this is still my strong position.

I swear some people argue for the sake of it, which is/was the busiest road in Kenya by daily carrying capacity?

And i actually take offense in this
I swear this time they will serious butcher themselves; they should make no mistake with their efforts to brew hate, even Jirongo attests here

Kabaridi if you are serious and patriotic please see the real intention of the statement above

Re: Ethnic hate through music: A simmering time bomb for Kenya why z it that its only tribal when kikuyu does something kwani hatujasikia raila ikisifiwa nkt ati Thika road for your sake roads must lead somewhere and where there is resources ata jam hio kisumu highway hupata ili ata iupgrade kuwa one way traffic jst cz thika ni kiambu (kikuyuland) and you should know many people of this county run the country

Did you read my earlier post about Wamalwa or is my duty here to expose politicans. This information you are asking I know absolutely you have it therefore instead of trying to twist my head around find out for yourself. Don't let your conscience blend with euphoriaism, but choose young leaders with agendas that dont have a checkered past. And this is still my strong position.
tell me why RAO should be excluded from Presidency based on only that n not his record! Can u pls tell me, what r his wrong deeds!? And also tell me why i should pick Uhuru or Ruto with all divisive campaigns they run...pls convince me!

tell me why RAO should be excluded from Presidency based on only that n not his record! Can u pls tell me, what r his wrong deeds!? And also tell me why i should pick Uhuru or Ruto with all divisive campaigns they run...pls convince me!

My friend I am glad that this debate is taking a competitive angle. Not bad fairly enough. At least we are showcasing we have the balls associated with such affairs to conclude this with finality.

I am deeply thrilled that after jubilee celebrations, tz is still singing the song of despots. Politics of mwenye nguvu mpishe. I can even sense such high affinity to want despots to ascend to power has been your undoing. You idolize hopeless politicians that propagate potentially destructive and divisive politics. As I said before, I wount sit here comparing personas of aspirants. My stand will remain the same. We want leaders that preach and practice democracy and also unite all kenyans irrespective of tribe, culture, or status. And also I have realized current politicians and you are over-peddling the hate and ethnicity mantra.

All parties have an ethnicity factor embedded in their party constituents genetics and therefore the subconsious use of the ethnicity mantra to scathingly attack other political players is tantamount to possessing inbuilt prejudice.

.........My recomendation remains as before

I swear some people argue for the sake of it, which is/was the busiest road in Kenya by daily carrying capacity?

And i actually take offense in this

Kabaridi if you are serious and patriotic please see the real intention of the statement above

yeah, bro Dhuks I get you. This is my core mission. Exorcism of negative media insights and crushing free-wheeling rumor-mills. Do not worry about that statement. I believe Geza is also brandishing his machete in readiness for 2015.

Back
Top Bottom