East Africa's Capital, Nairobi City : photo gallery

The puny and nugget thinking of some of these guys to the south never ceases to amaze me....the transformation of Kibera is underway as we speak and they blithely ignore that fact. Kibera being dubbed as the biggest slum in the world has been proven wrong and that too is ignored by TZs here...there is no way a million plus people can occupy a space that tiny -they will have to be stacked on top of each other kama magunia ya mahindi
so true , AND its not like we are ashamed of kibera ,they think we are supposed to be perfect or what? , all glam with no make up, this is the real world where there is poverty and richness, maybe danganyikans above have a perfect country with no slums and poor people..he he!

Yoo! Stop deceiving man. Capital ya east africa isn't a city yet, its a tourist town known as arusha also known as arachuga. Home of the best weed in east and central afrique.
Karibuni sana mazee

March 29, 2015
Nairobi, Kenya

Ngoja JamiiForums pia iongezee ukweli kuhusu maisha ya kina ''Yahaya a.k.a Kalubandika ktk viunga tajika vya jiji maarufu la watani wa jadi Nairobi:

How young people can live in Nairobi West baffles me

‘Why does anyone live in Nairobi West?” I wondered aloud after being stuck in a traffic jam for two hours there.

It can’t be the convenience because the roads are chock-a-block on a Sunday night. You are close to everywhere else, if only you are willing to walk.

Traffic moves at a snail’s pace, and if you are being rushed to the hospital in Nairobi West, you will almost certainly die en route.

Nairobi West should, perhaps, be a study in the worst of what Nairobi can offer, and is a nightmarish representation of what a 24/7 economy would look like if we allowed people to drink themselves silly.

The place has more khat shops per square kilometre than South C, but still, mercifully, nowhere near Eastleigh.

It is as if the locals are determined to pick up the slack occasioned by the European Union’s ban on the product. The shops are open and patronised 24 hours. So you always have square-jawed louts with protruding eyes staring at you unblinkingly, communally trying to ensure that Meru farmers do not file for bankruptcy.

However, khat isn’t even the real drug problem. The problem is alcohol. Nairobi West is a place that can only be described as an alcoholocaust.

This is beer country and features the greatest contributors to brewers’ bottom line. There are little tin shops separated by shower curtain- coloured tarpaulins that sell all manner of rotgut. The cheaper, the better.

OVER WEIGHT WOMEN

There are no frills and no attempts at entertainment to distract the people from the main reason they are there – to get plastered. The language inside the bars is always profane, the chatter always savage. It’s all talk of football and women’s bits.

Some bars pretend to distract you from the gulps but here, drinking is a way of life (or death). The calling here is to drink, to drink steadily and with steely determination. To drink in sickness and through wealth, in health unto death. Every corner seems to have a bar, and all the bars spill out onto the street, and even Wednesday nights begin to look like the last days of Rome.

I have never seen a place more geared towards inebriation and the love of booze, where delirium tremens, an addled brain and an inflamed liver are the highest aspirations. If I were an insurance salesman, I would sell policies to Nairobi Westers; they will not be around to collect them.

The place also has a recent-immigrant problem. South C, which used to handle the spill-over of successful importers and charcoal salesmen based in Eastleigh, has become too gentrified and expensive.

So more often than not, Nairobi West holds the reserve of the country’s Kiswahili-as-third-language speakers. You see the money changers everywhere, with dollar signs in their eyes, the exchange rate in their DNA, and a sack of money close by.

Then there are the women. You see them around, aggressively coutured, 10 kilos above in their high heels and all glammed up for a night out. Their hair is Premier League, their faces might pass off for the Championship, but their smiles are firmly Second Division. Their hair has been tortured with stuff Chemical Ali would have been squeamish about using on a Kurd. All of them look the same (and I imagine have the same IQ).

I wasn’t sure about that health survey statistic about 40-something per cent of Nairobi women being obese or overweight, but after spending four nights in Nairobi West, I think the number is grossly understated.

If only women here and everywhere in Nairobi spent half the time they spent in the salon in the gym!

Nairobi West is all bedsits and one-bedroom houses that go for a king’s ransom. This attracts the aspirational fake-it-till-you-don’t-quite-make it crowd.

PIMPED CARS

Men here are far better than women at shopping for clothes. They care more about their appearance and cuticles than the women do.

They even know the difference between cashmere and satin. I can bet you that the men in Nairobi West bedsits have, on average, more perfume than the women (They try to justify this by calling it cologne and making sure it comes in priapically shaped bottles).

They are proper man-girls with even greater emotional range than your crazy ex-girlfriend.

You would make a fortune selling men’s hair gel because they all obviously have hairdryers at home with at least three settings. Everyone has a huge watch with a dial large enough to be seen from space, which doesn’t make sense because traffic here is never in a hurry.

The men all drive hand-me-down Subarus, which they park outside their bedsits. They all hope to trade in the remains of their car for a VW Golf when the Impreza is eventually wrapped around a street light. The bedsits don’t seem to matter much, because all their free time is spent in the pubs and they are usually passed out in the house.

The cars have all the bells and whistles: a side skirt here, neon lights there, perfect to look at but will not move due to the never-ending traffic jam. Cars here aren’t for transport, silly; they are there to remain stationary as a status symbol.

Aspiration and acquisition are the emulsifiers of people living in Nairobi West. The gilded façade maintained by overdrafts and loans. It is the banks, really, that own everything. The place is so perfectly unaware of its inadequacies (no reliable transport, bedrooms no larger than a chicken coop) and without a redeeming quality to its name, perhaps except that the drunks look benign.

The place is too young, too male and too damn aspirational. Nairobi West appeals to many people, but it’s the wrong kind of people. By the time you are 30, you should have moved on and upwards. The problem is that too many men like being stuck in this infantilising hell.

My question, though, is: everyone who lives in Nairobi West can afford to move out, so why on earth don’t they?

Source: How young people can live in Nairobi West baffles me - DN2 - nation.co.ke

Nice @bkirongo Oooh pole nyangau mkenya fanya hyo thread iwe kama ya galavant standing and always updated since 2006 hyo blog ya east Africa IKAE mpaka 2020 sasa iendelee mpaka 700pages ya naira land iko Page 152 leo last update ilikuwa weekend since 2006 still standing vuta hii blog uweke hyo and woooord this is just perfect the way umehandle kibera hehe nice
@ab-tichaz wazi budah tuendelee hvo hvo

Namba nane inacome up wazi sana kwanza hzo graffiti kwa mabati

Last edited by a moderator:
Hoshea true dat arusha is clean sana btw kwanza area ya Nakumatt ilikuwa shwari na safi

Hoshea true dat arusha is clean sana btw kwanza area ya Nakumatt ilikuwa shwari na safi

bagamoyo nairobi West is 12.5km² of the total 609km² nairobi county of the total 24000km² nairobi metro anything else to bring nairobi down?

Kusema ukweli kwenye Mipango miji Wakenya wametuacha mbali sana.. Sisi labda tunashindana na Kampala kwa mzee Museveni. Ila Nairobi is in another level we can not compare to Dar es Salaam kabisa tuache ubishi kwenye hili..

Hongereni wakina nyangau mkenya, tuacheni sisi watanzania bado tunapiga siasa kwenye maisha yetu badala ya kufanya-development ya nchi tumekalia majungu, umbea na uongo. Rasilimali tulizona nazo ni tofauti na maendeleo ya nchi.

I feel sorry for my country
:embarrassed1:

March 29, 2015
Nairobi, Kenya

How young people can live in Nairobi West baffles me

‘Why does anyone live in Nairobi West?" I wondered aloud after being stuck in a traffic jam for two hours there.

It can't be the convenience because the roads are chock-a-block on a Sunday night. You are close to everywhere else, if only you are willing to walk.

Traffic moves at a snail's pace, and if you are being rushed to the hospital in Nairobi West, you will almost certainly die en route.

Nairobi West should, perhaps, be a study in the worst of what Nairobi can offer, and is a nightmarish representation of what a 24/7 economy would look like if we allowed people to drink themselves silly.

The place has more khat shops per square kilometre than South C, but still, mercifully, nowhere near Eastleigh.

It is as if the locals are determined to pick up the slack occasioned by the European Union's ban on the product. The shops are open and patronised 24 hours. So you always have square-jawed louts with protruding eyes staring at you unblinkingly, communally trying to ensure that Meru farmers do not file for bankruptcy.

However, khat isn't even the real drug problem. The problem is alcohol. Nairobi West is a place that can only be described as an alcoholocaust.

This is beer country and features the greatest contributors to brewers' bottom line. There are little tin shops separated by shower curtain- coloured tarpaulins that sell all manner of rotgut. The cheaper, the better.

OVER WEIGHT WOMEN

There are no frills and no attempts at entertainment to distract the people from the main reason they are there – to get plastered. The language inside the bars is always profane, the chatter always savage. It's all talk of football and women's bits.

Some bars pretend to distract you from the gulps but here, drinking is a way of life (or death). The calling here is to drink, to drink steadily and with steely determination. To drink in sickness and through wealth, in health unto death. Every corner seems to have a bar, and all the bars spill out onto the street, and even Wednesday nights begin to look like the last days of Rome.

I have never seen a place more geared towards inebriation and the love of booze, where delirium tremens, an addled brain and an inflamed liver are the highest aspirations. If I were an insurance salesman, I would sell policies to Nairobi Westers; they will not be around to collect them.

The place also has a recent-immigrant problem. South C, which used to handle the spill-over of successful importers and charcoal salesmen based in Eastleigh, has become too gentrified and expensive.

So more often than not, Nairobi West holds the reserve of the country's Kiswahili-as-third-language speakers. You see the money changers everywhere, with dollar signs in their eyes, the exchange rate in their DNA, and a sack of money close by.

Then there are the women. You see them around, aggressively coutured, 10 kilos above in their high heels and all glammed up for a night out. Their hair is Premier League, their faces might pass off for the Championship, but their smiles are firmly Second Division. Their hair has been tortured with stuff Chemical Ali would have been squeamish about using on a Kurd. All of them look the same (and I imagine have the same IQ).

I wasn't sure about that health survey statistic about 40-something per cent of Nairobi women being obese or overweight, but after spending four nights in Nairobi West, I think the number is grossly understated.

If only women here and everywhere in Nairobi spent half the time they spent in the salon in the gym!

Nairobi West is all bedsits and one-bedroom houses that go for a king's ransom. This attracts the aspirational fake-it-till-you-don't-quite-make it crowd.

PIMPED CARS

Men here are far better than women at shopping for clothes. They care more about their appearance and cuticles than the women do.

They even know the difference between cashmere and satin. I can bet you that the men in Nairobi West bedsits have, on average, more perfume than the women (They try to justify this by calling it cologne and making sure it comes in priapically shaped bottles).

They are proper man-girls with even greater emotional range than your crazy ex-girlfriend.

You would make a fortune selling men's hair gel because they all obviously have hairdryers at home with at least three settings. Everyone has a huge watch with a dial large enough to be seen from space, which doesn't make sense because traffic here is never in a hurry.

The men all drive hand-me-down Subarus, which they park outside their bedsits. They all hope to trade in the remains of their car for a VW Golf when the Impreza is eventually wrapped around a street light. The bedsits don't seem to matter much, because all their free time is spent in the pubs and they are usually passed out in the house.

The cars have all the bells and whistles: a side skirt here, neon lights there, perfect to look at but will not move due to the never-ending traffic jam. Cars here aren't for transport, silly; they are there to remain stationary as a status symbol.

Aspiration and acquisition are the emulsifiers of people living in Nairobi West. The gilded façade maintained by overdrafts and loans. It is the banks, really, that own everything. The place is so perfectly unaware of its inadequacies (no reliable transport, bedrooms no larger than a chicken coop) and without a redeeming quality to its name, perhaps except that the drunks look benign.

The place is too young, too male and too damn aspirational. Nairobi West appeals to many people, but it's the wrong kind of people. By the time you are 30, you should have moved on and upwards. The problem is that too many men like being stuck in this infantilising hell.

My question, though, is: everyone who lives in Nairobi West can afford to move out, so why on earth don't they?

Source: How young people can live in Nairobi West baffles me - DN2 - nation.co.ke

that article is true , to some extent, but thats the beauty of nairobi, if thats the kind hood you want live in we have it , if you want more serious hoods like kilimani , upperhill and the likes ,we have it , if you are broke we have a place for you ,if you want to raise a family we have many suburbs for that ,if you are a party animal try westlands, if you are a business guy guess what....we have a place for you , you picked one neighborhood Nairobi ..there are many,,,,,,NAI NI YA WHO,,,,,Nairobi si ya mtu ,,,,Nairobi ni yetu...

Pliiiiz ni korogocho don't kwara tu know kenya if u don't know kenya u don't know eti korogosha SMH dafuq is that?

Nairobi Central Business District maeneo ya Uhuru Highway, Haille Selasse Avenue, Moi Avenue na University Way pamoja na maeneo ya City Hall and Parliament Building eneo lote hilo la mjini-kati a.ka city centre ni kazi-ya- mipango- miji ya urithi toka kwa utawala wa mkoloni.

Maeneo ambayo yamejengwa kwa kufuata mipango miji ya mkenya-mzalendo baada ya uhuru wa Kenya hawataki kabisa kuonesha picha zake kutokana na ujenzi holela wa majumba chini ya kiwango na miundo mbinu (miundo msingi) mibovu.

giraffe-centre-in-nairobi-kenya-by-phillip-black-2007.jpg
2657451463_b02c3b380f_b.jpg
8961858274_30a515098c_o.jpg
gallery_1_997_347360.jpg
36324645.nairobi191.JPG
10963969_337975949743602_1796638660_n.jpg
10560954_852997114742574_578876586_n.jpg
NeIsP.jpg
Victoria+Towers+Upper+Hill+Nairobi+Kenya+Building+Eric+Gitonga+Photography+Creaive+Commons+Non-Commercial.jpg
CARc3PgWsAE4X6C.jpg:large
11078661_406409709538094_755912331_n.jpg
B_Vc3HLXAAA4XY-.jpg:large
16730244501_9a29684ef9_b.jpg
dOye1.jpg
11032926_1379094272412598_1764245267_n.jpg
UF35q.jpg
awWVS.jpg
10724967_637691929710983_97078966_n.jpg
11022846_673518926104167_1931581735_n.jpg
10963765_790643874350586_1847223323_n.jpg
11008264_516939258443819_1936016617_n.jpg
11008360_1563774350576262_1960972498_n.jpg
uclZQuI.jpg
10957230_765474470208925_2038622240_n.jpg
10954211_1531490627115325_419608123_n.jpg
11005275_674853985971180_317131736_n.jpg
GT8aiaE.jpg
16459032765_67efff6f9b_h.jpg
10959824_435338689963315_3770668580150743484_n.jpg
10903566_1535730213368873_512561269_n.jpg
Nairobi4.jpg
5WmFLF.jpg
16215896577_c1d08db3d6_b.jpg

bagamoyo sasa ulikuwa unataka waubomoe wakati wanatOka?? Nkt mnafikra za kitoto nkama ukisema ni urithi tulikuwa tuna faa kuzibomoa fyi the tallest building in Nairobi was 10 floors in 1963 na zilikuwa tano pekee...... Now 2015 kuna 248 buildings zenye ni 18floors and above within nairobi hzo bado ni mzungu alijenga??? Nkt mna ujinga sana na hii chuki yenu bila mipangilio nkt make me hate ur education system nkama hamfunzwi chochote down south

bagamoyo sasa ulikuwa unataka waubomoe wakati wanatOka?? Nkt mnafikra za kitoto nkama ukisema ni urithi tulikuwa tuna faa kuzibomoa fyi the tallest building in Nairobi was 10 floors in 1963 na zilikuwa tano pekee...... Now 2015 kuna 248 buildings zenye ni 18floors and above within nairobi hzo bado ni mzungu alijenga??? Nkt mna ujinga sana na hii chuki yenu bila mipangilio nkt make me hate ur education system nkama hamfunzwi chochote down south

Back
Top Bottom